Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

All Sony needs to do to ensure goodwill (aside from NOT shuttering the loving stores) is to at least put out a release stating that the basic re-download/patch/verification servers will survive as long as they're in the gaming industry.

I know this is gonna get me some heat but I feel Sony have totally gone back into PS3 coast mode since the PS5 launch. I know it's selling out absolutely everywhere so they obviously don't give a poo poo but the way MS treat old games is so much better to me, an old-game owner. I'll 100% be getting a PS5 at some point for the future exclusives but at the moment, I'd be way more likely to get a Series X to play older games like Prey at 60fps. Apart from a few of thier big big games, Sony don't seem to have any intention with doing that sort of cool OS-level stuff for PS4 games. It's a shame because I way prefer Sony games.
Right now I'm just waiting to see when they finally kill off the PS4, I'll be getting Resi8 for that and that's the only big game this year I'm waiting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Could not help myself but watched this and wow do I want to play this game. :3:

Also ‘pulling a veeg’? Haha well. Yeah. Actually that is fair.

You will love this game!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The last 30 seconds were so intense!

You know, it's kind of a trip to see noted mediocre-videogame liker Fridge Corn smash his way through Sekiro without an ounce of hesitation. I'm honestly curious what you first brickwall in this game will be, or if you'll just steamroll the entire thing.

I honestly thought I died toward the end but when I got up with just a sliver of health i was like gently caress it hes almost dead too and figured I could get him with another grapple attack. I didn't realise until I rewatched the video that he was doing some huge swinging attack as I was jumping in, I have no idea how close I was to getting hit!

After that fight I went and had a go at the spear guy miniboss in hirata estate and got him in a few tries. I had him backed up in the tall grass and I couldn't really read his attacks very well but I didnt wanna back off so just kept wailing on him managing to get a few mikiris in and burned him down pretty quick. Hesitation is defeat! Game is so good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My heart grows a size with every Sekiro success story :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

fuckin SERIOUSLY :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was actually kind of good at Sekiro but it didn’t hold me, I thought some aspects were kind of frustrating

New BP rivalry had to start somewhere

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a new thread enemy for the day :swoon:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Same as it ever was :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the deal with Haven? The trailers make it look like some kind of hybrid RPG/VN about a couple who goes on adventures together and also you have to manage their home life and romance? There seem to be more than a few sex scenes, how detailed does that get?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Full penetration, you see it all.
rear end to rear end.
PIV.
Todgers wild.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There is a lot of talking about sex, but no actual sex scenes or nudity as far as I'm aware. It's still about as annoying as listening to a real 20-something couple talk about how much they want to gently caress would be, though.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I know this is gonna get me some heat but I feel Sony have totally gone back into PS3 coast mode since the PS5 launch. I know it's selling out absolutely everywhere so they obviously don't give a poo poo but the way MS treat old games is so much better to me, an old-game owner. I'll 100% be getting a PS5 at some point for the future exclusives but at the moment, I'd be way more likely to get a Series X to play older games like Prey at 60fps. Apart from a few of thier big big games, Sony don't seem to have any intention with doing that sort of cool OS-level stuff for PS4 games. It's a shame because I way prefer Sony games.
Right now I'm just waiting to see when they finally kill off the PS4, I'll be getting Resi8 for that and that's the only big game this year I'm waiting on.

I agree. Felt like every week for a while there was some news about Microsoft making xbox a really good option and their treatment of their previous consoles catalogue is leaps and bounds over sony at the moment. Obv I proved Sony right because despite doing nothing to convince me why I should have a ps5 at launch I bought one (and have spent 80% of my time playing ps4 games). It definitely felt like post-ps2 Sony so much that for a minute before the specs were revealed I thought they might do some dumb proprietary cell thing again. dedicate ten minutes of their presentation to charts and Folding@Home

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, when Sekiro bosses have a weakness, it's pretty much always more of a momentary advantage to you than even outright damage. Although I think you're doing Souls bosses a bit of an injustice there - there aren't that many you can just easily spam to death, even if they do have a pronounced weakness to a particular damage type/

when I first played sekiro and stumbled into Bellworld I thought I was so clever when I read the item descriptions and brought in snap seeds and shurikens to fight the old lady only to then eat dirt for like an hour. No easy way out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait was hating Cyberpunk someone's gimmick here

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think Sony has mostly done it all correctly this launch, considering the pressures of delivering in 2020 of all years. The console is great, PS+ and Game at Home are firing on all cylinders, they have exclusives lined up in the next few months that are worth playing, and meanwhile all my PS4 games are smooth as butter on PS5. Console launch is always a bumpy time. The PS4 didn't have any game worth playing until TLOU Remastered dropped 8 months later.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arist posted:

I did it! I beat Yakuza 6, the last Kiryu game I hadn't finished yet!

...Now onto Like a Dragon!

Nice! What an epic journey. Kiryu is legendary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One thing they could have done a lot better is data migration, Microsoft seems to have nailed it in that the console will almost always do the most sensible thing automatically with no user involvement while Sony leaves you to figure out how each game handles it. And how each game handles it could be anywhere from "automatic, don't worry about it" to "start over, sorry".

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My PS3 just recently lost the ability to connect to the internet either via wired or wireless so I guess I better figure it out in the next month so I can swoop in and buy all the digital games I might want since you can’t do it on the web any more either.

It’s weird because it will work for about 15 seconds after boot before it stops. I just wanted to play cool games like QoP!!

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

haveblue posted:

One thing they could have done a lot better is data migration, Microsoft seems to have nailed it in that the console will almost always do the most sensible thing automatically with no user involvement while Sony leaves you to figure out how each game handles it. And how each game handles it could be anywhere from "automatic, don't worry about it" to "start over, sorry".

PS5 does have one small thing it does better that Xbox with regards to game installs. If you hook up an external drive, it has the option to automatically install PS4 games on it instead of internal storage. This option is on by default.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Vikar Jerome posted:

only if the cmos or whatever its called battery dies, which should be replaceable. it should be replaceable on ps3 too but the drive will still work either way so its not too big an issue. you can still play your ps4 (and5) totally offline.

tho i ran into a weird issue with my ps5 being offline, if i boot up the ps5 and its offline, while having the ps4 disc of yakuza 7 while its ps5 upgraded version is installed, it will try and install the ps4 version. it wont do it if it boots online cos i guess its gotta talk to the server about it lol.

Yeah basically the cmos battery issue screws over all owners, either digital or physical. We're talking about a potential future where psn doesn't exist. If you replace the battery you still have to connect online once after to check to use discs. So if the battery dies it sounds like if you replace it and connect online it can verify your digital and disc stuff and you'll be fine.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

In most of the souls games and Bloodborne you can overlevel yourself pretty easily, making the areas and bosses ahead a lot easier and more forgiving. You might suck at the timing of combat but if you’re 10 levels above what you’re supposed to be, it kinda won’t matter. Sekiro expertly prevented this capability behind the prayer beads and gourd seeds being from the bosses themselves. You can grind to unlock skills, but not increase your health bar or estus flask number. That makes it both better, and harder, than any of the other souls games. I think Sekiro’s biggest crime was that it was far longer than it needed to be. They could’ve easily (and should’ve) paired it down to the 10-12 hour running time that Bloodborne was.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

What's the deal with Haven? The trailers make it look like some kind of hybrid RPG/VN about a couple who goes on adventures together and also you have to manage their home life and romance? There seem to be more than a few sex scenes, how detailed does that get?

It's basically that but there's no sex scenes really, they're just a very happy couple. There's not much to manage, it's an intentionally light and breezy sort of experience, but you do have to put some thought into the combat

The exploration and general story are really dope! It's like a cross between The Pathless, No Man's Sky, and a visual novel

The voice acting is extremely good. I personally loved both characters to bits, they're adorable and adorkable and I never feel the need to skip dialogue (I'm still playing it!)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hal Insandenza posted:

I just wanted to play cool games like QoP!!

QoP has never played a cool game tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

tbf I didn't have any trouble with that. I feel like those cases are sorta fringe and going forward will be even moreso.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not even joking when I say I’ve never played any games, as I’m a grown man.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What the hell is a game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I once saw a street urchin play Dark Souls on their games console and the whole experience looked so repulsive that I vomited right there on the road.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I once saw a street urchin play Dark Souls on their games console and the whole experience looked so repulsive that I vomited right there on the road.

*Handing you a PS3 controller* Fancy a bit o’ Soulsies guv

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Playing video games in a world filled with thousands of classic novels and poems is like travelling to Paris (France) to eat hotdogs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Or as the french call them, les chienne chaudes. They also call video games merde ennuyeux.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

France’s biggest contributions to video games are disgusting little freaks like Rayman and David Cage

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And that absolute spoofer they wheel out every year to swear that BG&E2 is still being made

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

they should’ve called him Yves Guillenot cos that games not coming out

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Classic French game design is something any developer hoping for a PC Gamer Star aspires to.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

Me too, good job Fridge Corn.

Take a Souls break VG and play the 2019 GotY, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. https://youtu.be/UOmdhofNzDM

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Oh wow, everyone's talking about Sekiro! I just decided to replay it after about a year off to see the new features. I wanted to start a fresh game but also decided to go charmless and boy, I really forgot how oppressively difficult this game could be, particularly at the start. Getting my arse kicked by just about every boss, miniboss and a lot of the plebs many times over before making progress. I really can see why people fall off it but once you get over that wall it really is one of the best games ever made.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Azathoth Prime posted:

PS5 does have one small thing it does better that Xbox with regards to game installs. If you hook up an external drive, it has the option to automatically install PS4 games on it instead of internal storage. This option is on by default.

Xbox has that too. Guide->Settings->System->Storage devices->Select external drive->"Install here by default". This can be either the external NAND or a USB3 drive.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
On my new Sekiro run cause of fridge and this is my first run through where I didn’t die to seven spears, well ninja, or butterfly once!

I did however get thrown off the edge by ogre for my first and only death of the game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The first time I died to the ogre was when he threw me off the cliff, I button-mashed in a panic, and ninja-zipped right back to him. I was so baffled that I couldn't stop laughing and then he killed me anyway.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 23, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

i too now believe this is a QoP fringe account.

Impossible, this guy's making terrible decisions with his life.

https://twitter.com/The_Betus/status/1354473584370937857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Impossible, this guy's making terrible decisions with his life.

https://twitter.com/The_Betus/status/1354473584370937857

Geez that thing came out EIGHT YEARS AGO. :corsair: