Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

For me, it "just worked" about half the time and it was always a crap shoot at which voice command would fail. I was constantly getting "I don't know how to do that" messages for things that worked the day before.

And I hated selecting music to the point that I would create playlist before getting in the car so I didn't have to deal with it. Most of the time I would play mp3s through the SD card and only use Auto for navigation despite that requiring me to completely switch interfaces to the stock system to do anything with the music.

That's a shame. I haven't really had that problem. I do know that Google's voice recognition is pretty much state of the art. You're not going to get anything better.

One thing that has an effect on that is the mic the manufacturer has included in the vehicle, so that might've been the problem for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Honestly, not having to bother with my phone AT ALL is maybe the best thing about CarPlay. Being able to use a maps app on the screen rather than on my phone is like 200% safer.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
FWIW various Subarus 2010-15 had oil consumption issues. I was taking my 2014 Outback in every 2k - 3k because the low oil light turned on and eventually had the short block replaced under warranty. I think the only reason Subaru even did that was because there was a class action lawsuit against them for it. I ran into a lot of people at the dealership dealing with the same issue. I would not recommend a modern Subaru because of that. I know that all of this is anecdotal.

They're also near the bottom for reliability on Consumer Reports now.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
So, wife's dad is looking to get rid of a 2016 Mercedes GLC 300 with 50k miles and wants to see if we'll take it. Wife currently has a 2007 VW Jetta that still works fine, has only like 70k miles, and current plan was to drive it into the ground before we replace it with something like an Outback, CX-5, CRV or similar to be the main family hauler. He's willing to sell it for well under fair market value, but IIRC that can get you into some tax issues if you're way off actual value. Also, wife has some hesitation about driving a Merc, doesn't really want something high-end and ostentatious. I'm only considering it because I wondered if it might be a financially good idea overall, and who knows when the Jetta will go, but my suspicion is that the higher and I assume more frequent maintenance on the Merc compared to our other options would outweigh any benefits on the possibly cheaper up front cost. Thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

iPhone or Android? iphone, but don't read much into that. People who care deeply about cell phones tend to be annoying

I just love seeing poo poo like this in real time......people asking for advice that think they are too smart to take advice.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Motronic posted:

I just love seeing poo poo like this in real time......people asking for advice that think they are too smart to take advice.

Isn't that the typical goon?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
it's additionally mystifying becauseof course you care if your new car is going to support the platform your phone is using.

Like what the gently caress are you gonna do? Go "Gee, this new Volt only does Apple Car Talk. Honey brb, going to blow $400 on a new iPhone"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

$400 on a new iPhone"

What planet do you live on?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

it's additionally mystifying becauseof course you care if your new car is going to support the platform your phone is using.

Like what the gently caress are you gonna do? Go "Gee, this new Volt only does Apple Car Talk. Honey brb, going to blow $400 on a new iPhone"

As someone who like cars as a driving thing I also find this hilarious.

But yeah.....you're all idiots about cars, in different ways and while I'm not quite the king idiot of cartown I'm at least a duke.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am the wisest carposter because I know I am stupid

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What's a reasonable/normal price for a complete set of winter/snow tires for your average car (Prius, Accord, Camry, etc.)?

Because there's no way I'm going to swap them myself, what's a reasonable price to have a garage do the winter and summer tire swapping for the tires once you have them? (Also, how do you actually get the tires to the garage in a vehicle that does not have space to lug around four winter tires in a trunk, etc.)?

Seriously, no one that I know (including my father who was an auto mechanic for 45+ years) used winter tires (in Wisconsin) for like the last 30 years or more that I remember, and I have no idea how something this simple works when you don't have a garage to do it yourself (or don't want to do it yourself).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

What planet do you live on?
The one where I use Swappa to get 2-3 year old phones as my "New Phone Splurge".

Occasionally also the one where I go to Sprint and get the Last Gen phone for $300-400 and wind up on a permalease somehow. :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlyFrog posted:

I have no idea how something this simple works when you don't have a garage to do it yourself (or don't want to do it yourself).
Find a tire center or car dealership that sells tires. Ask if they will store your Winter/Summer tires for you if you make a purchase with them. Then find out what the install and storage fees are.

I was reading a little while ago about some car dealerships in the East promoting a $60 mount and store program for seasonal tires to boost customer retention -- the idea is you pretty much guarantee the customer will see you twice a year, and then they try and get you back for oil changes and other things.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

What's a reasonable/normal price for a complete set of winter/snow tires for your average car (Prius, Accord, Camry, etc.)?

Because there's no way I'm going to swap them myself, what's a reasonable price to have a garage do the winter and summer tire swapping for the tires once you have them? (Also, how do you actually get the tires to the garage in a vehicle that does not have space to lug around four winter tires in a trunk, etc.)?

Seriously, no one that I know (including my father who was an auto mechanic for 45+ years) used winter tires (in Wisconsin) for like the last 30 years or more that I remember, and I have no idea how something this simple works when you don't have a garage to do it yourself (or don't want to do it yourself).

If there are steel wheels available somewhere around $600 for a nicer set of tires mounted and balanced, but you can just look up whatever on tire rack. If they’re on wheels you can usually get them changed cheap. It’s really easy to do yourself too. Any of those cars are probably big enough to carry a set of tires; you just put em in garbage bags and fill the car. I’ve fit four tires little two door cars without much issue.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SlyFrog posted:

You have 2 options:
You can buy an extra set of wheels. This can cost from like $50 to $300 a corner depending on car and how fancy you want to get. Generally, you will get the smallest wheels that clear your brakes because small wheels have cheaper tires and are less likey to be damaged. If your car can clear steel wheels, they are the obvious winner. Cheaper in the long run as a shop will charge very little to change these. Like $30 for.all of them. You probably want to rotate your tires every once in a while anyhow. You can also diy this in 20min.
The second option is to have them switched off your current wheels each time. This will need mounting and balancing. I'd expect to be charged retail, which is closer to $30 per corner.
Transport. I've fit 4 18in tires in an rx-8, so you can get them in most anything. Put towels or something down to protect seats (or you can buy covers, which is what I did). Lots of shops will store them too. Norm's in Little Canada did when I lived there (a good source of snow tires as they carry nokians).
I changed my wheels myself every winter unless the car was in the shop for so other reason and my shop would do it for free. Otherwise, I either did it in my downtown minneapolis parking garage, the u of m law school parking garage (the one behind the hotel), or one of the surface lots at macalester.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SlyFrog posted:

You either knew a lot of poor people who had no way to scrimp for the winter tires, you live in an exceptionally not-snowy area of Wisconsin, or your friends were exceptionally accepting of risk.

Snow tires are a low price, high safety item. Not using them is ridiculous if you see moderate or heavy snowfall. People who argue they don't need them or they don't make a big difference is like arguing with climate change deniers. The science is out there, the studies have been done. The stopping distance is minimized by hundreds of feet and could easily prevent a fatal crash over the course of your driving career.

Not talking to you in particular. Just the general amount of people that are being so cheap they put everyone else's lives more at risk to save $500.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zapplez posted:

You either knew a lot of poor people who had no way to scrimp for the winter tires, you live in an exceptionally not-snowy area of Wisconsin, or your friends were exceptionally accepting of risk.

Snow tires are a low price, high safety item. Not using them is ridiculous if you see moderate or heavy snowfall. People who argue they don't need them or they don't make a big difference is like arguing with climate change deniers. The science is out there, the studies have been done. The stopping distance is minimized by hundreds of feet and could easily prevent a fatal crash over the course of your driving career.

Not talking to you in particular. Just the general amount of people that are being so cheap they put everyone else's lives more at risk to save $500.

So what about truck tires? I live in a part of Indiana that gets a lot of snow but I don't know anyone who swaps out winter tires on their truck. Are truck tires generally rated for all seasons in a better way than all seasons for passenger cars?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So what about truck tires? I live in a part of Indiana that gets a lot of snow but I don't know anyone who swaps out winter tires on their truck. Are truck tires generally rated for all seasons in a better way than all seasons for passenger cars?

Mud rated tires may be marginally better than all-seasons but I wouldn’t bank on it. Pickups are worse in the snow due to a lack of weight over the rear axle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Pickup trucks handle like poo poo even on dry flat roads because body on frame live axle vehicles are designed to carry payload and tow trailers without the suspension buckling. Unless you are actually doing that on a daily basis no one voluntarily drives a truck. But in the US like 30% of the population buy vehicles for the sole purpose of cosplaying as one of the Village People so?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

I have year-round tires that are snow rated. They are pretty common in Canada (for trucks). Most people I know that don't work in an office and have to get to work reliably all year have winter-rated / pseudo offroad tires on their trucks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's my anecdotal evidence on SUVs with AT tires vs. snow tires. I've had good snow tires (newer flavors of Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice XI3) on two miatas, two FWD hatchbacks, and a G35. My GX470 has AT tires that are comparatively good in snow, and it definitely gets around in major snow better than any of the cars I've had snow tires on. In the right conditions I'm certain the snow tires would brake better, but day to day stopping/going/turning all felt as good or better in the GX470 than it did in my wife's Mazda3 with blizzaks. HOWEVER... I never had issues getting around town in any of the 2wd cars with snow tires, other than the G35 which I had to be strategic about where I'd drive it as it really did not do well for some reason.

All that said, these are new AT tires that I picked out specifically because people had reported they were good in the snow. The previous set of tires weren't so hot and it definitely felt sketchy on slick patches.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

Here's my anecdotal evidence on SUVs with AT tires vs. snow tires. I've had good snow tires (newer flavors of Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice XI3) on two miatas, two FWD hatchbacks, and a G35. My GX470 has AT tires that are comparatively good in snow, and it definitely gets around in major snow better than any of the cars I've had snow tires on. In the right conditions I'm certain the snow tires would brake better, but day to day stopping/going/turning all felt as good or better in the GX470 than it did in my wife's Mazda3 with blizzaks. HOWEVER... I never had issues getting around town in any of the 2wd cars with snow tires, other than the G35 which I had to be strategic about where I'd drive it as it really did not do well for some reason.

All that said, these are new AT tires that I picked out specifically because people had reported they were good in the snow. The previous set of tires weren't so hot and it definitely felt sketchy on slick patches.

The argument has never been FWD with snows vs AWD with all seasons. Everyone knows the more safety features you add the better. AWD with snows is better than either by themselves. And for the major safety issue in winter (BRAKING) snow tires are more effective and cheaper than AWD. Both is better if you can afford it. Snows should be mandatory. AWD doesn't help you brake.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Mud rated tires may be marginally better than all-seasons but I wouldn’t bank on it. Pickups are worse in the snow due to a lack of weight over the rear axle.

A lot of all terrain tires have the snowflake symbol, not just M+S rating. However, more aggressive mud terrain tires generally don't, and based on reviews they perform pretty poorly in the snow.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone asked what do people with trucks and AT tires do, and that’s what I do. I’m not saying people should go out and buy 16mpg body on frame SUVs with noisy AT tires instead of getting a hatchback with snows. But having driven it back to back with cars that do do have snow tires for several seasons, I don’t think in my location with this vehicle snow tires would be worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In regards snow tires, I pay I think $100/year for storage and two changeovers on a Ford Focus. The snow tires are mounted on their own wheels. I would have gotten steel wheels except at one point I was doing them myself and got a really good deal on lovely alloy wheels, so they're lighter and the lug nuts don't get frozen.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For someone that lives in a snowy area (Canada) the cost of snow tires over the life of the car is very low. Since you are chaging them over, you are saving years of life on your all seasons. So you just end up paying for the rims and the labour. Maybe 500$ over 5+ years. 100$ a year to dramatically increase the safety of yourself, your family, but also stranger's families. If you live in an area that stays cold, you should be buying snows.

If the government had any balls, they would make it a requirement federally the same way seat belts and anti-lock brakes and backup cameras are.

AWD : a nice convience feature to avoid getting stuck. Doesnt help you stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjzYbpt9Ow

Winter tires : loving important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC1E2eDt1JY

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Winter tires also prolong the life of your other tires, right? So the net cost of winter tires would actually be lower than the purchase price.

Anyway I wish I’d known all this when I started driving in high school in western Mass, because I came within inches of completely smashing the front of my 2001 Protege on a concrete pillar when going around a curve on a snow-covered road.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This basically is everything anyone needs to know about AWD vs snows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjzYbpt9Ow&t=77s

Watch the 30 seconds of this. Winter tires reduce your braking in an emergency from 650 feet to 300 feet. Thats loving insane. Buy winters people!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, they're called winter tires instead of snow tires for a reason. Even on dry pavement, summer and no season tires are too hard in the cold to grip properly. I can't overstress how important it is to have enough heat in your tires. They turn into hockey pucks and are completely useless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking to get something bigger for growing family. I've torn my hair out trying to find a decent low mileage car that fits my needs well. Rear facing car seats and infant seats won't fit behind my driver's seat in my GTI, and that's going to be a problem eventually, next kid is due in August. I like sporty fun cars but probably not at the point in my life where it makes sense. I can get about 19k for my car as it sits, so I'd like to replace it with something a little bigger that can fit more room in the back seat for kids and my bike potentially. Rear facing car seats are loving huge and I'm 6'1" so it needs to have a large backseat with plenty of room. Small hatchbacks and CUVs are probably not big enough for these anymore, sadly. I've looked at Odysseys, Siennas, Buick Regal TourX (decided to lower budget after checking), but haven't investigated some larger sedans much. I'd probably like how they drive vs. a van but not sure how they'd do on bike storage.

Proposed Budget: ~19k
New or Used: Used?
Body Style: Midsize/Fullsize Sedan, wagon, van, SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuter, also needs to be able to hold two young children (one rear facing <2 years old so it'll be this way for awhile, one on the way.). Would like to be able to fit a large 29" wheel'd mountain bike inside vehicle. I'm ok taking off the front wheel as needed, otherwise if rear needed to come off I'd put it on a hitch rack.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I like some "luxury" features. Heated seats, Android auto (bluetooth is probably enough though honestly), leather would be nice for kids and keeping it clean. Don't like driver assist stuff generally.
What aspects are most important to you? Ideally, something that checks all the boxes above and gets decent mileage. I'd like it to be reliable but am able to do maintenance and general repairs on my own. I'd go electric if it were feasible but not sure it's realistic in my price range and size needs.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 8, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Minivan?

Also maybe stock up on condoms.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah probably a minivan or a bigger SUV like a (Tiguan? Telluride?). Maybe check out a Soul or Niro to really x out the crossover space. In addition to the bike, consider the size of your stroller and whatever diaper/snack bags you carry around.

The form factor of a sedan might be nice but getting the kids in and out of an elevated platform (like in an SUV) is a nice quality of life upgrade.

It'll also be easier to haul half a bike out of a waist-level trunk than having to reach down into a sedan trunk.

As far as price goes, you should be able to get a minivan 3-4 years old for under 19k, and if you look closely enough there should be models with leather seats out there. Just don't be surprised when you se 60k miles on 'em.

Electrics? Probably nothing with the storage you need that will fit.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 8, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Suburban Dad posted:

Looking to get something bigger for growing family. I've torn my hair out trying to find a decent low mileage car that fits my needs well. Rear facing car seats and infant seats won't fit behind my driver's seat in my GTI, and that's going to be a problem eventually, next kid is due in August. I like sporty fun cars but probably not at the point in my life where it makes sense. I can get about 19k for my car as it sits, so I'd like to replace it with something a little bigger that can fit more room in the back seat for kids and my bike potentially. Rear facing car seats are loving huge and I'm 6'1" so it needs to have a large backseat with plenty of room. Small hatchbacks and CUVs are probably not big enough for these anymore, sadly. I've looked at Odysseys, Siennas, Buick Regal TourX (decided to lower budget after checking), but haven't investigated some larger sedans much. I'd probably like how they drive vs. a van but not sure how they'd do on bike storage.

Proposed Budget: ~19k
New or Used: Used?
Body Style: Midsize/Fullsize Sedan, wagon, van, SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuter, also needs to be able to hold two young children (one rear facing <2 years old so it'll be this way for awhile, one on the way.). Would like to be able to fit a large 29" wheel'd mountain bike inside vehicle. I'm ok taking off the front wheel as needed, otherwise if rear needed to come off I'd put it on a hitch rack.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I like some "luxury" features. Heated seats, Android auto (bluetooth is probably enough though honestly), leather would be nice for kids and keeping it clean. Don't like driver assist stuff generally.
What aspects are most important to you? Ideally, something that checks all the boxes above and gets decent mileage. I'd like it to be reliable but am able to do maintenance and general repairs on my own. I'd go electric if it were feasible but not sure it's realistic in my price range and size needs.

It's not sexy, but a used Sienna XLE will do a great job as a people hauler and last for quite a while. The XLE trim has leather. No idea about android auto availability in them though.

The large sedan market isn't that remarkable and nothing really worth recommending in your price range. You could try looking at a used Avalon but the bike probably won't fit in the trunk.

Maybe a Highlander Hybrid if you can find one in your price range? The 3rd row would just always be folded for extra storage, and the hybrid powertrain is solid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah probably a minivan or a bigger SUV like a (Tiguan? Telluride?). Maybe check out a Soul or Niro to really x out the crossover space. In addition to the bike, consider the size of your stroller and whatever diaper/snack bags you carry around.

The form factor of a sedan might be nice but getting the kids in and out of an elevated platform (like in an SUV) is a nice quality of life upgrade.

It'll also be easier to haul half a bike out of a waist-level trunk than having to reach down into a sedan trunk.

As far as price goes, you should be able to get a minivan 3-4 years old for under 19k, and if you look closely enough there should be models with leather seats out there. Just don't be surprised when you se 60k miles on 'em.

Electrics? Probably nothing with the storage you need that will fit.

I'd think a Soul wouldn't be big enough for what he's looking for. I'd say a newer Explorer?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
2 rear facing seats and a tall driver pretty much requires asking for "the biggest car you got" from what I've seen

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would really love a hand with my family's somewhat weird vehicle preferences.

Proposed Budget: ~$28k taxed in a high-tax state, willing to do federal tax credits
New or Used: New
Body Style: Anything large enough to fit 2 6' tall adults in front of 2 rear facing baby seats. Prefer hatch on the back.
How will you be using the car?: City commuter. 1.5-2 hours a day of hellish, bumper to bumper traffic. Must be easy to handle in extremely tight parking garages, and ideally fit in compact parking spots.
What aspects are most important to you? : Fitting multiple rear-facing baby seats with tall adults in front. Top Safety Pick Plus preferred. Good radar cruise control that can operate in stop & go. Auto emergency braking, good visibility. Plug-in hybrid strongly preferred. Willing to pay a price premium for city fuel efficiency, unless it would be vastly cheaper to just get the gas version of a car.

We have looked at:
Rav4 Hybrid - Does not fit a 6' adult in passenger seat in front of rear-facing baby seat. What the hell.
Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid - We both really like this. It's cheap, and has a $4500 tax credit, and has tons of passenger space for how short it is length-wise. This seems ideal, but it's a weird rare car with a hybrid system that works unlike anything else. They're running the electric motor through a DSG.
Honda Accord Hybrid - Fits baby seats well, spacious.
Prius - Doesn't pass baby seat test.
Honda Insight - Somehow fits baby seats + us like a glove, lighter weight than other options. Liked this on test drive.
Camry Hybrid - Why is this so expensive? No tax credit, fits us well.
Honda Clarity - This is the perfect car on paper for us. There is no dealer inventory within 300 miles. Have not been able to test drive.

What else should we be looking at? Is there anything glaringly wrong with the cars that we've liked that rules out buying them?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Consider the cargo area required by 2 kids young enough to be in rear facers before buying a sedan

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shovelbum posted:

Consider the cargo area required by 2 kids young enough to be in rear facers before buying a sedan

We rarely take strollers in cars, if we're going to use a stroller we're almost always leaving the house on foot. We usually carpool, but the kids are going to be in different daycares for a bit so I'll be dropping off kid 1, kid 2, then my wife, then driving to work every day and doing the whole thing in reverse on the way back. We haven't ever really road tripped, and tend to fly if we're going somewhere. We are talking about this issue, especially because the Kia Niro has very little cargo area, but I'll make sure we think long and hard about it.

Edit: Looks like the Pacifica Hybrid has $3k of incentive here, that might squeeze into the budget. Will go drive that as well. I should also mention that our existing carpool commute with 1 kid is being done daily in a 999cc Fiesta, so most of these feel huge in comparison.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

See, this is why I don't get why people have kids. It limits your car choices so much. Sell the kids and buy a Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

See, this is why I don't get why people have kids. It limits your car choices so much. Sell the kids and buy a Miata.

He'll take a bath on them in today's market. Everyone pays by the pound these days.