Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks great. The guys with what look to be long-barrelled AKs are likely using RPK-74M LMGs. Looks to be roughly two sections with a designated marksman, PKMG mounted in the MMG role, and RPG-32 team. Understrength platoons at that level of Definitely Not Spetznaz skill would be all you'd need for Force on Force back in the day, up against five or six times their number easy.

Yes they're quite heavily armed, it'll be interesting to see how they fare against the other forces. Since we've already made a lot of terrain for North Africa in WW2, this'll be a pretty straight up project. It's so nice when you can repurpose terrain instead of starting from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just make modular scatter terrain, like TV dishes, plastic barrels, and gaudy advertisements.

On a semi related note, what the gently caress is wrong with their necks. It's like the sculptor was some old Citadel hand trying to make up for the years when they didn't do any necks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

On a semi related note, what the gently caress is wrong with their necks. It's like the sculptor was some old Citadel hand trying to make up for the years when they didn't do any necks.

Lol I've cut off like 90% of the original necks. But yes, they are a tad stiff. I think the problem is that the sculptor wanted to get the collars on the vests in there, but made them a bit too tight for the head to fit. So most of the heads kind of rests on top of the collars in a way that makes them look a bit like mannequins.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Yes they're quite heavily armed, it'll be interesting to see how they fare against the other forces. Since we've already made a lot of terrain for North Africa in WW2, this'll be a pretty straight up project. It's so nice when you can repurpose terrain instead of starting from scratch.
They're not unreasonably heavily armed really. They're carrying a mix of gear roughly proportional to a western military unit of similar size. By 2010 the British forces deployed to Afghanistan were carrying twice as many LMGs if they had them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Arquinsiel posted:

Understrength platoons at that level of Definitely Not Spetznaz skill would be all you'd need for Force on Force back in the day, up against five or six times their number easy.

Slight aside, but you know how the Definitely Not Spetznaz in Crimea are called "little green men" in English? I have a Ukrainian friend who says that in Russian & Ukrainian they're called "the polite armed men" because there was a famous newscast reporting from Crimea early on who said (in Ukrainian) "there are all these very polite armed men around, but they won't say who they are."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Notahippie posted:

Slight aside, but you know how the Definitely Not Spetznaz in Crimea are called "little green men" in English? I have a Ukrainian friend who says that in Russian & Ukrainian they're called "the polite armed men" because there was a famous newscast reporting from Crimea early on who said (in Ukrainian) "there are all these very polite armed men around, but they won't say who they are."

Speaking of, I remember a set of "green men" minis with a meme cat based on a quote from some Russian PR lackey claiming it's impossible to find Spetsnaz in Crimea just like a black cat in a dark room, and even if there was such a cat it's polite and harmless so no need to look for it, really guys.

Anyone know who made that box?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Finished up my core Russian infantry from the Europe Asunder kickstarter.

Not a glamorous shot but at this point I was happy they were done. Now to grind away at the French!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Notahippie posted:

That is awesome :allears:

I really need to finish the five polite little lads sitting right in front of me at some point.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Played my first game of Bolt Action, really like the game, got a couple rules wrong but the Soviets wiped the floor with the Germans :shobon:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

0/10 no KV-2

I stand by my principles :colbert:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Ok so usually I stay away from anything after WW2, but a bunch of clubmates are preparing a homebrew system for very small scale modern skirmish, which they'll play set in Syria around 2015-17ish. Since the main rules writer is not a big fan of painting, he asked me to paint up a set of I Can't Belive It's Not Russians from Empress miniatures. These are clearly not Russians, and you'd be especially safe to say that they are not the 431st Naval Reconnaissance Point or similar special forces that clearly were not operating inside Syria around that time. What a silly thing that would have been.

I did a completely lazy job on the camo by mainly just reusing the main colours I used for the Splittermüster on my Fallshirmjägers, as I thought it looked pretty close to the pictures I could find.

The whole force preparing to mess with ISIS, Kurds, Turks or whatever force happens to be allied against them this week.

First up are the grunts with the diverse sets of automatic rifles:

Some MGs and anti-vehicle weapons:

I mixed up some camo schemes to reflect that the not-Russians had a mix of uniform equipment and personally supplied stuff in Syria. Especially things like weapons and magazines were all over the place.

These look fantastic! I painted some moderns as well for Zona Alfa.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

That is awesome :allears:

I really need to finish the five polite little lads sitting right in front of me at some point.

It was Zvezda

https://spruebrothers.com/zve3665-1-35-zvezda-modern-russian-infantry-polite-people-figure-set/

The cat is part of the kit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

These look fantastic! I painted some moderns as well for Zona Alfa.

Nice! I've been thinking that if I were to make some moder minis of my own for Syria, I'd probably go for YPJ, but that'd be a whole lot of conversion work.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I saw a few posts about this like 3 pages back but i just copped some Bolt Action figures and the sculpts very in quality by like alot

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Xenolalia posted:

I saw a few posts about this like 3 pages back but i just copped some Bolt Action figures and the sculpts very in quality by like alot

That goes for Warlord in general. They have several ranges or parts of ranges that are bought up from smaller companies, and they also seem to use a pretty large number of sculptors. This means that there are a lot of diamonds in their ranges, and a fair amount of lemons. For example, the Landsknechts are bought up from Pro Gloria, and are really nice. I painted up their Fallschirmjägers, and thought they were lovely. Meanwhile, their Napoleonics overall are subpar at best, awful at worst, with a few good sculpts sprinkled in there.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I was surprised that something as assumedly basic and similar as winter soviets and winter german grenadiers dont even seem to be the same type of plastic??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The north koreans stand out as being straight up racist caricatures out of the 40s almost

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The north koreans stand out as being straight up racist caricatures out of the 40s almost

They are bad but the studio paint job is not helping.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I have Warlord North Koreans:

Cessna posted:

Speaking of which, here are examples of those North Koreans.

Not really racist per se, just a mediocre sculpt.

The studio paint job is what makes them look bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay, kind of want a fireteam where fifth member is cat now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cessna posted:

I have Warlord North Koreans:

The studio paint job is what makes them look bad.

And metal also makes them look bad :v:

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay, kind of want a fireteam where fifth member is cat now.

Yefreytor Mittens was always suspicious of the Ratnik program

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

And metal also makes them look bad :v:

They're typical Warlord models. There isn't enough facial detail there for a racist caricature.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, quick BA question: Are AT rifle squads able to use their recoilless rifle against people, or is their use restricted to being against vehicles only? :D

Also, if my arty is unlikely to get shot at, is there any point for them to be anything but inexperienced? Since (correct me if I'm wrong) from what I recall, experience level only impacts how difficult it is to hit/pin the buggers, right?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, quick BA question: Are AT rifle squads able to use their recoilless rifle against people, or is their use restricted to being against vehicles only? :D

Also, if my arty is unlikely to get shot at, is there any point for them to be anything but inexperienced? Since (correct me if I'm wrong) from what I recall, experience level only impacts how difficult it is to hit/pin the buggers, right?

Anything can fire at anything. I once won a game by sending a panzershrek round through the chest of my opponents main officer in the final round of the game.

Arty can (and should) be firing over open sights as much as possible, and modifiers do apply for that. Also inexperienced arty can’t take spotters so you’d be doubly shooting your self in the foot.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Anything can fire at anything. I once won a game by sending a panzershrek round through the chest of my opponents main officer in the final round of the game.

Arty can (and should) be firing over open sights as much as possible, and modifiers do apply for that. Also inexperienced arty can’t take spotters so you’d be doubly shooting your self in the foot.

Hah, nice! I'm not surprised that a gory death like that ended the battle :D

Ohhh, right! I forgot about the spotter exp thing. Yeah fair point

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Eastern front action, September 1942. playing a fully painted game is so cool

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Inexperienced anythings have a baked in -1 to hit, so taking inexperienced arty and tanks is usually a bad time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

True, the overall feel of a fully painted table with minis is always great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't recognize those models, where are they from? They look great.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

everything is WLG except the Panzer III and Hanomag, which are Rubicon, and the zis-3, which is....some small manufcaturer in England.

the houses are from gcmini.com

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

alg posted:

gently caress yes, happy for you. Trip report?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We only played a few turns before the store closed for the night. I was afraid of his AT so I kept my T-34 back to start. My Assault Engineers rolled in and that personal armor is really great for getting them parked on an objective.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Inexperienced anythings have a baked in -1 to hit, so taking inexperienced arty and tanks is usually a bad time.

Ah, right OK - that's...not good. I'll have to shuffle things about then, to try and work out a better solution. Looks like I'll be playing again on the weekend though (against the same Romanian player) so that'll be a good shakedown/test run with a new setup. I think I'll just swap my howitzer for an AT gun, then see how I go from there. I think with the direct fire arty and indirect fire mortar (instead of indirect fire arty+mortar) I should be pretty well balanced. Especially if I get unlucky and my tank gets destroyed, or something.

EDIT: Also, my friend has a spare rifle on a sling - so it looks like George PattonGiorgio Pattini will get an upgrade! I'll see if I can do a greenstuff Alpini feather (assuming it sticks to metal well? Never tried) and he'll no doubt see some use in my next game :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 17, 2021

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

JcDent posted:

Just make modular scatter terrain, like TV dishes, plastic barrels, and gaudy advertisements.

Everything went to poo poo once we started allowing people to marry giraffes obviously.
(The painting looks solid as heck, really nice job! Those rules, are they available somewhere? :) )

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Greggster posted:

Everything went to poo poo once we started allowing people to marry giraffes obviously.
(The painting looks solid as heck, really nice job! Those rules, are they available somewhere? :) )

Thanks. :) The rules are still being worked on afaik. The other players had tons of time to paint their minis but I don't think any of them have finished yet, and combined with covid and everything there has yet to be any playtesting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I ended up being able to get in a rematch round of Bolt Action yesterday, with my Alpini vs my friend's Romanians. Our platoons were almost the same as before, except I had swapped out my medium howitzer for a light AT gun and a sniper team, essentially. His was also similar, except he swapped out his armoured car for a second light tank and splashed-out on more panzerfausts.

So, the scenario was in a pretty tight little village with a main road and a couple of side streets. It was a "VIP extraction" typed mission from the book, where we were fighting over an officer who was downed over the aforementioned village. So, seeing as we only had one high-ranking officer model between us, we were fighting over - you guessed it - George Patton himself. :D (Seeing as he has two handguns on his model, we also played with the added rule that until he's been grabbed, he's always waiting in 'ambush' mode with his dual pistols. He didn't get to kill anyone though, sadly)

Things were looking pretty good for me, on turn one. I raced my L6/40 (equipped with a flamethrower) into the town and nestled between a couple of buildings opposite the house Patton was in, in order to make my opponent think twice about rushing in. I then moved some infantry up the main road into the town, ready to rush in and nab Patton. While that happened, I had my AT gun cover one side of the village and my tank covering the other side.
Then, my opponent moved his infantry up together as a large force to the outskirts of the town, then drove one of his tanks up the main road to gun down a couple of guys in my advancing/exposed squad. I moved the rest of my infantry up to the houses covering my half of the main street, in order to secure my path of retreat.

Then after that initial turn, I rushed in and grabbed Patton (he was only able to apply a pin to the squad) and drove my tractor down the main street and formed a roadblock. (This ended up being the real MVP move. I was super unsure about it, but it paid dividends in the end. Since otherwise he basically could've moved his tanks anywhere down my side of the table. This at least meant that neither of us could take our tanks past Patton's house) His heavy AT gun then blew up the tractor, leaving it as a wreck. As I began pulling out with Patton (hopping into the building across the road, then in later turns out the back door and legging it to where my AT gun was) my tank machinegunned an entire squad of 11 infantry. (Well, two survived, but they immediately fled/surrendered)
At this point, my friend really needed to push, since the flank I was going to extract Patton through was rather uncontested. He pulled his second tank around and blasted at my fleeing squad. I then moved my flamer tankette out of its hiding place and melted his tank. Then I had the next die too, which enabled me to move my tank (the one that killed a squad last turn) around a corner and blew up my friend's remaining tank. I was feeling pretty happy at that point, but the Romanians then had a panzerfaust squad leg it around a nearby building and knocked-out my tank. Ah well, I was happy with that outcome - I had ended the threat of their armour while keeping one of my vehicles alive, and the tank also eliminated a squad - so it wasn't a bad kill count for it!

Then after that intense turn (some other advances and shooting happened around the same time, but none of it was particularly lethal), the rest of the game consisted of my squad scrambling to stay one step ahead of the wave of larger enemy squads pursuing them, while my covering squads (that I positioned at the start, around the main street) racked up the kills. Then my depleted squad with Patton handed him over to my Lt -of course, so that he can claim that he captured Patton himself and get a medal- who then proceeded to exit the map.

So yeah, overall it was a much more even/intense than our last game, which was rather one-sided. (I think I lost eight guys vs his ~45 losses) I lost eight guys again, plus a tractor and my light tank. He lost 19 guys, 2 went MIA and he also lost two light tanks. I do like the fairly close combat this game offered, compared to the larger, more sparse layout we had last time. We also got through the game a fair bit quicker this way, too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and yet again (despite firing every turn aside from the very first) my medium mortar did nothing. I don't think my AT gun did much of anything either, despite landing a hit once. Kinda tempted to just ditch the mortar entirely, but the chance of pins is still rather tempting...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, WGA are doing plastic WW2 Italians.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

HELLO AGAIN HISTORICALS THREAD, IT'S BEEN SOME TIME AND I'M BACK.

Over the intervening years I've moved way out into the sticks from a capital city to a tiny backwater commuter town. I'm trying, I'm really trying hard to get into bloody AOS or 40k in respect to the games being played locally, but I just can't do it.

My three vanishingly small options for historicals appear to be Bolt Action, Black Powder and Sharpe Practise. Of these, SP appeals the most if I can get the games. My feeling is that I can try to proxy SP models into Age of Sigmar as Empire (Cities of Sigmar - Humans?), and/or increase the model count for use in Black Powder. May I ask what the smallest proper games of SP might consist of, force-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

HELLO AGAIN HISTORICALS THREAD, IT'S BEEN SOME TIME AND I'M BACK.

Over the intervening years I've moved way out into the sticks from a capital city to a tiny backwater commuter town. I'm trying, I'm really trying hard to get into bloody AOS or 40k in respect to the games being played locally, but I just can't do it.

My three vanishingly small options for historicals appear to be Bolt Action, Black Powder and Sharpe Practise. Of these, SP appeals the most if I can get the games. My feeling is that I can try to proxy SP models into Age of Sigmar as Empire (Cities of Sigmar - Humans?), and/or increase the model count for use in Black Powder. May I ask what the smallest proper games of SP might consist of, force-wise?

Welcome back into the warm bosom of trying to find players in your preferred scale/period/number of weekly showers. :)

My opinion is that for SP2 to be enjoyable, you want at least three elements on each side. How large said elements are is less important than to not just shove two ranked formations into each other and see who rolls best in the firefight. So here's two very small forces:

Team Red:

2 groups of musket dudes in a formation (16 men)
1 group of musket dudes working alone (8 men)
1 group of skirmish dudes (6 men)

Team Blue:

2 groups of musket dudes in a formation (16 men)
1 group of skirmish dudes (6 men)
1 more group of skirmish dudes (6 men)

That way you each have one tiny but comparatively scary source of volleys and you get to see why skirmishers are great. The force with two skirmish units will probably have an upper hand, so give them to the player you want to have the better odds of winning.

That's like, super bare bones SP2, but it'll also be very easy to expand those forces by just adding more groups.