Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you have knowledge of the lease you sure aren't going to win a bfpfv argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ulmont posted:

Are you sure? I thought the purchaser - as a bona fide purchaser for value - would be able to repudiate any lease - as an encumbrance on the property - unless the lease was recorded with the applicable authority prior to the purchase?

In California or Minnesota, the lease survives a change in ownership except maybe foreclosure.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If you have knowledge of the lease you sure aren't going to win a bfpfv argument.

MoCo has constructive notice if the tenant is occupying afaik.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So no go in moco for bfpfv afaik.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I live in Montgomery Country and am a lawyer. Pay for my Virginia CLE so I can waive into Maryland and I'll consider answering your question

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You're a lawyer in the same way blarzgh is a lawyer: barely.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're a lawyer in the same way blarzgh is a lawyer: barely.

He said, from the cubicle under the "collections" sign.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have a window office overlooking another office building!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like to believe that Blarzgh's office is his car, which he parks a quarter mile down the road from any speed trap he comes across. That's just smart.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I have a window office overlooking another office building!

Oh, what I wouldn't do for a window!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I just pay off the cops to slip my card to the driver along with the ticket.

which confuses them greatly since I'm the prosecutor

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
ONE WEIRD TRICK! Bar associations HATE it!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Well, we have a lot of states (cities even) that have larger size and populations that many countries.

Does that really matter?

Are lease agreements really that different from one giant city to another? I get that ~~~state's rights~~~ are a big deal in the US, but in the end it usually works against the the average Joe just trying to not get hosed when renting out an apartment.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Hypothetical: Mr. and Mrs. Smith live in Texas and have joint accounts at the same bank. Mrs. Smith also has an individual account just under her name. One day the bank sends an account notification for Mrs. Smith's account to Mr. Smith, alerting him of the existence of the account and its balance. Mrs. Smith calls the bank to find out why this happened and is told it is some manner of IT error and to call back next week for more information. (The bank confirms this was a mistake on their part and the information should not have been sent to Mr. Smith, and apologizes).

Mrs. Smith is pretty miffed but doesn't really know what to do - complain to some sort of regulatory agency, just let it go? Hypothetically, no damages resulted from Mr. Smith receiving the account notification. Would there be any point for further action?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does that really matter?

Are lease agreements really that different from one giant city to another? I get that ~~~state's rights~~~ are a big deal in the US, but in the end it usually works against the the average Joe just trying to not get hosed when renting out an apartment.

But what if some states/cities want to treat their renters better than what Central Services decided? The US is a big place and one size doesn't always fit all.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

But what if some states/cities want to treat their renters better than what Central Services decided? The US is a big place and one size doesn't always fit all.

Public interest laws are the bare minimum standard? I don't think I've ever seen Federalist system that forbids regional jurisdictions from bolstering federal laws.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Federal laws are really light weight in the us on most things, or simply don't address it. For instance, there's no federal law mandating that a security deposit be returned to a tenant.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

MY GF was in an employment law conference and has been texting me fact patterns all day:

Investment advisor dismissed after having sex with a prostitute in his office after hours. He refused to pay her and left her in the lobby when she refused to leave. She made calls through the company directory and eventually to his supervisor demanding payment. He also subsequently sued her. Was he wrongfully dismissed?

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 7, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

LeschNyhan posted:

MY GF was in an employment law conference and has been texting me fact patterns all day:

Investment advisor dismissed after having sex with a prostitute in his office after hours. He refused to pay her and left her in the lobby when she refused to leave. She made calls through the company directory and eventually to his supervisor demanding payment. He also subsequently sued her. Was he wrongfully dismissed?

This depends on whether the prostitute was properly reported as a business training expense.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LeschNyhan posted:

He refused to pay her and left her in the lobby when she refused to leave....Was he wrongfully dismissed?

Hell no he wasn't, he's clearly loving incompetent.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LeschNyhan posted:

Was he an at will employee?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

sullat posted:

Was he an at will employee?

Canada, so I'm guessing no. I only know my province for sure, but I don't think we have at-will employment here at all.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does that really matter?

I don't know. Do you really think people that live 2,500 miles away from you should be getting a say in the minutia of your city/county law?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm on the board of my local neighborhood association in San Francisco, California and we are having Drama. Someone has started attending the meetings and recording them without making that known in advance, then posting the entire recording online. We don't like this. We want to say at the beginning of the next meeting something along the lines of "please turn off any recording devices it makes some of us uncomfortable". This person has made it known to us that she plans on recording anyway, because the meeting is open to the public there is no expectation of privacy. What should the board be aware of? She's a paid member of the neighborhood association. In principal, we could kick her out of the association and refund her dues, right? We don't actually want it to come to that. Do we need a lawyer?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know. Do you really think people that live 2,500 miles away from you should be getting a say in the minutia of your city/county law?
Since the alternative is every city and county having their own rules that are all hosed-up in their own special way, yes, absolutely, bring on the one-size-fits-all solution.

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm on the board of my local neighborhood association in San Francisco, California and we are having Drama. Someone has started attending the meetings and recording them without making that known in advance, then posting the entire recording online. We don't like this. We want to say at the beginning of the next meeting something along the lines of "please turn off any recording devices it makes some of us uncomfortable". This person has made it known to us that she plans on recording anyway, because the meeting is open to the public there is no expectation of privacy. What should the board be aware of? She's a paid member of the neighborhood association. In principal, we could kick her out of the association and refund her dues, right? We don't actually want it to come to that. Do we need a lawyer?
1. What do your bylaws say about expelling members and refunding dues?

2. What are you discussing in your neighborhood association meetings that anyone not there would give a poo poo about?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Gobbeldygook posted:

1. What do your bylaws say about expelling members and refunding dues?
Exactly: nothing.

quote:

2. What are you discussing in your neighborhood association meetings that anyone not there would give a poo poo about?
Parking meters and real estate developments, mostly. People lose their goddamn minds over parking meters.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LeschNyhan posted:

Canada, so I'm guessing no. I only know my province for sure, but I don't think we have at-will employment here at all.

In the US the case would be pretty clear-cut. Canada, I don't know. Probably it would be decided by a moose-riding contest or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hermsgervørden posted:

Saw neighborhood association and san francisco and determined you needed a lawyer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

nm posted:

Saw neighborhood association and san francisco and determined you needed a lawyer.

There is no more vile, regressive or unholy instrument of American law than the homeowner association (which I assume is what you mean, since google tells me neighborhood associations are a separate type of entity that lack the horrific, satanic powers of HOAs).

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no more vile, regressive or unholy instrument of American law than the homeowner association (which I assume is what you mean, since google tells me neighborhood associations are a separate type of entity that lack the horrific, satanic powers of HOAs).

First of all, agreed that HOAs are horrible.

Neighborhood Association is exactly what I mean. I'm a renter. The neighborhood association has exactly no real powers, except that certain groups have to notify and meet with us, but we discuss lots of important (to us) things, and we have a small amount of political influence.

nm, I assume you are being sincere? What kind of lawyer would we even want?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If the meetings are open to the public, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Probably a real estate lawyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Federal laws are really light weight in the us on most things, or simply don't address it. For instance, there's no federal law mandating that a security deposit be returned to a tenant.

??? Because it's state law?

It's early in the morning this probably duplicative.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I was explaining that there is no one size fits all law in the US because federal law doesn't cover most topics if concern. Add an example, I mentioned security deposits. Since there's no federal law, states regulate it. Which is why there are 50 different laws about security deposits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's true. It was early.

Though there is some uniformity because in 49 states LT law derives from English common law.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

That's true. It was early.

Though there is some uniformity because in 49 states LT law derives from English common law.

Though it has diverged significantly since in many cases.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

First of all, agreed that HOAs are horrible.

Neighborhood Association is exactly what I mean. I'm a renter. The neighborhood association has exactly no real powers, except that certain groups have to notify and meet with us, but we discuss lots of important (to us) things, and we have a small amount of political influence.

nm, I assume you are being sincere? What kind of lawyer would we even want?

Pretty much yes. I'd look for someone who knows something about the California open meeting act\brown act. Real estate might be useful too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

euphronius posted:

Though there is some uniformity because in 49 states

:smug:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tag line for you
"Our law isn't common, it actually civil. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We don't have a Napoleon smile. No wait

:agesilaus: