Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think skating through the stick is what I'm seeing a lot of players in my league do. It's like they just skate through the guy (or me) and come out the other side with the puck. I've tried the "get big" thing but I'm 5'6"/140lbs so most guys can just see right over me. I think maybe part of it is just still being nervous to play right up to the edge of someone else's space, but I'm a much better skater now than I was six months ago so maybe it's time to get over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

I think skating through the stick is what I'm seeing a lot of players in my league do. It's like they just skate through the guy (or me) and come out the other side with the puck. I've tried the "get big" thing but I'm 5'6"/140lbs so most guys can just see right over me. I think maybe part of it is just still being nervous to play right up to the edge of someone else's space, but I'm a much better skater now than I was six months ago so maybe it's time to get over that.

Pretty much every adult human can see right over me but they can still get distracted if I challenge them. Remember if you're playing with someone who still looks down to some degree while handling the puck, all they really need to see of you is your legs and stick. I'm not great at controlling the puck when I scare it lose but I'm pretty good at forcing the opponent to either throw away the puck or let it drop off their stick, just by getting up in their space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To get the puck off their stuck, you gotta at least be as fast as them. Faster is better obviously. If you're starting out and playing against vets, that puck is gonna be theirs and ain't poo poo you can do about it.

Not saying don't try, just don't beat yourself up when it doesn't work out.

Most rookies (myself included) seem to get close to an opponent, start gliding, and then flail with their stick. Nothing good comes from that.. you'll just get penalties. Keep those feet moving, and eventually you'll beat someone. This does mean there will be more body contact so you gotta get comfortable skating with someone in your personal space.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I am forechecking I get low and put my stick flat on the ice to force them to saucer it over it.

Works awesome at lower levels. 50/50 at higher levels.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

To get the puck off their stuck, you gotta at least be as fast as them. Faster is better obviously. If you're starting out and playing against vets, that puck is gonna be theirs and ain't poo poo you can do about it.

Not necessarily true. Sure, a beginner isn't going to be able to strip the puck off some experienced player who has really good puck control. In most cases where you have two players who are both not that great at hockey, though, you can get a player who is faster than you to cough up the puck. You might only be able to poke it away vs. skating off with it (although even skating off can work if it'll require a direction change or transition to go after you), but that's still pretty helpful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just meant you're not going to be able to "skate through the stick" if you can't keep up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Even in no check league, body contact is allowed, as long as you don't forcefully check your opponent. If you can't strip the puck away from the carrier, try forcing him wide with body positioning and into the boards.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I am playing hockey tonight. I just remembered that after our game Wednesday I left my gear in the trunk of my car. It has been single digit temperatures for the last 2 days. I hope it thaws out and dries by 5pm tonight because that is when I have to pack it all back in the bag. :shepicide:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bigbillystyle posted:

I am playing hockey tonight. I just remembered that after our game Wednesday I left my gear in the trunk of my car. It has been single digit temperatures for the last 2 days. I hope it thaws out and dries by 5pm tonight because that is when I have to pack it all back in the bag. :shepicide:

Use a blow-dryer if you have one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if you haven't had to put on a frozen cup then you're not yet a hockey player

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bewbies look at eagle river this year

http://deadspin.com/idiot-hockey-fan-dangles-from-rafters-falls-on-woman-1758784964

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So last night was fun. One of the thugs on the other team was skating through the other D pair giving our goalie a few whacks and chops when covering up the puck, the the D pair pretty much sat and watched him do it. I get out there and look for it. Goalie covers up, and I see thug make his way to the net, I actually manage to spin-dump him on his rear end with a shoulder. He looks to the ref for a call, and I just circle away to my faceoff spot. I should have done the Mutombo "no no no" finger wave, but a smirk will have to do.

Also my subbing spree is catching up to me, my back is murdering me right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Noted second worst league tough guy bootcha

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Noted second worst league tough guy bootcha

My alcohol consumption has added mass to my badass.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Teeter posted:

I made a gear rack to help air my stuff out for like $20 in parts, half of which was spent just on the PVC cutting tool. Design was taken from some guy's Reddit post that came up on a google search, which I then made a few minor tweaks to.

I live in a 1bd apartment but I've got a huge closet with a window so I can isolate the stink and get decent airflow. I'm considering drilling some holes throughout it so that a fan/blow dryer can pump even more circulation in for quicker drying. Anybody else have something similar?

Looking at building one of these but I have a bunch of 20mm PVC laying round. After building yours do you reckon 20mm would still be stable enough?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Its all about body placement in beer league. Get your body between the other player and the puck as much as you can. If you're making a play on the puck and happen to make contact with the puck carrier it will never get called, but you have to do it with your torso/hips, cant reach out cant lean in.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Hockles posted:

Use a blow-dryer if you have one.
Thankfully it didn't come to that. Stuff thawed and dried after 6 hours in front of the baseboard heater.

bewbies posted:

if you haven't had to put on a frozen cup then you're not yet a hockey player

Ah the days of high school hockey. My stuff lived in my trunk back then. We were playing 6 days a week so the only time I would take my stuff out and air it out would be Saturday nights after a game and let it out all day Sunday, our only off day. Other than that it pretty much stayed in the trunk of my car. I remember times I would have to put a little bit of hot water on my skates to thaw the boots out enough to stretch the tongue out and get my foot in them. I guess I could have aired it out every day but I always had that panic that I was going to forget something so I knew if I just left it then it would all be there the next day.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

xryokus posted:

Looking at building one of these but I have a bunch of 20mm PVC laying round. After building yours do you reckon 20mm would still be stable enough?

I'm no PVC expert to say for certain but I think it would be fine and if you don't have any other use for the pipe you've got laying around then I'd say go for it. I used 1inch PVC but it has so many T joints that most pieces end up being 4-8" and become very stable, with the longest being 10". It's about 2' wide so maybe use that to judge how much 20mm could droop. I doubt it would be much of an issue since most pieces are just being balanced along the floor and the only gear that is applying weight to the crossbars are pants and chest.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Welp, I almot took a rocket slapper to the dick tonight.

Guy was squaring up for a shot at the point so I skated out to challenge it. Got me about two inches down and one inch over. Already bruised pretty good.

Granted, I was standing completely upright and was 7-10 feet awayfrom both the shooter and the goal when it hit me, so it wasn't a good shot. But I still blocked it and that's what counts. Got props from the other team after the game for that one.

Dude your team is out of control. Number 5 cross checked a referee in front of our bench because he thought it was one of our players and he tried skating away nonchalantly like he didn't do anything lol

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
It is always amazing how one set of guys always thinks the other set of guys are meaner, dirtier, scarier, cheaters, hacks and start the problem.

Hey you guys are all....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But in my case it's true, everyone else is a shitlord.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

drizzle posted:

Dude your team is out of control. Number 5 cross checked a referee in front of our bench because he thought it was one of our players and he tried skating away nonchalantly like he didn't do anything lol

I think you been watching some old Flames highlights.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

drizzle posted:

Yeah, 5 in particular CANT STOP GETTING PENALTIES and doing dumb poo poo like that. He's got almost a third of the teams total PIM. Add in number 7 and that's HALF of our 152 PIM. They're brothers too.

I wasn't there last night, Valentine's Day stuff with the girlfriend and I kinda cooked my hand by grabbing a hot handle. Nothing like burns on your palm to wreck your night.

I may look into changing teams next fall. I'd like to be on a team that has a chance at the free sticks for low pim.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next fall? How long does the season run? I thought fall/winter session ended in the next month or so.

Or did you already commit to spring/summer?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Well can't promise free sticks but a lot of our players that don't show up are dropping from next season so we're adding some people if you're interested. Most of us are on shift work so ice time can be a little inconsistent though. We have a full roster right now but usually only average twelve or so skaters so may be a little crowded if we get people that show consistently. We all suck except for like three people too so there's that as well.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Next fall? How long does the season run? I thought fall/winter session ended in the next month or so.

My season (HNA) runs early October through late April. 22 games. They run a short summer session, and then back up again in October.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://vine.co/v/ivZzEzXjpq2

hz why does your rink have a bunch of words not written in american on it

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

We have one week of regular season left, then at least two playoff games. I'm not committed to spring/summer yet because I don't know if I can swing the money for league. If I do, I'll play coed again. If I don't, I'll probably try to hit a s&p or rat session once a week.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjo3d3DXlQ

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Let's be honest. A) that was a great shot and B) he probably had it coming.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had a good but hard game tonight. Got a power play deflection goal by screening the goalie and tipping the puck in.

Then I got full on 100% checked on an offensive rush.

I was skating along the boards into their zone, he was next to me. I dump the puck around the boards to my teammate behind their net. A few seconds after my pass I feel a hard shoulder check or an elbow which takes me off my feet and headed right into the boards at full speed. As I was sliding towards the boards shoulder/head first, I was bracing for a soon to be broken collar bone. I hit the boards hard but luckily nothing hurt immediately. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. I got up to hear the guy apologising right away. I gave out a big "what the gently caress was that?" Only to be approached by the refs and told he got a 2 minute for checking and a game misconduct but I don't remember the second call. It was elbowing, boarding or hitting from behind I think.

The guy came up to me after the game and apologized profusely, seemed like a genuinely nice guy and we had no issues after. Im not sure if he realized that game misconducts result in an automatic multi game suspension.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

That was a beautiful shot.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
When I moved to Austin, I wasn't too sure about doing draft league. Now I'm pretty sure it keeps the crazy poo poo that happens in most of your leagues to a minimum. Play like an rear end, get dropped a level because no one wants to play with you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The instructional league does a player evaluation and draft and I think it's pretty awesome. It does two things: the teams are even, and it builds a community because with each session you might have a guy on your team that you played against a month ago. Basically everyone gets along and it's always fun.

But I like the normal beer league format too, find some friends, play hockey against the world and see how you do.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I really hope our rink goes to a draft system. The teams are all just a bunch of friends/acquaintances/whatever that all play on a team but really most of us have all known each other for a good 10 years at the least. The competition is just getting stale. We went from 6 teams to 5 teams to 4 teams in the last 5 years or so and its just the same. 1 lovely team, 2 mediocre teams, 1 great team. I think the league would get a big refresher if we allowed teams to keep like 1 line and a goalie maybe and then draft the rest.

On top of all that I really don't know where the younger generations have gone. We are down to 4 teams and from what I can tell it's because guys get older and hang it up or start a family and decide they don't have time or have the money to keep playing and there are no younger guys coming up to take their place. I don't get it. We have maybe 4 guys under 30 on our team and only 1 of them is under 25 and most of the other teams are the same way. The teams that have guys under 30 are like 27 and 28 at this point and there are hardly any guys in the league at all under 25. Are kids quitting hockey? I know there are still several youth and high school teams that play out of our rink, you'd think some of them would come back from college or hang around after high school and be looking to play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kids under 25 have trouble making enough money to support themselves. They thus have trouble paying league fees.

It's a big reason I've found that the higher the division of team, the more likely to have deadbeats on it.

I loved the draft skate.. now that I have 8 people that I consider good friends on my team I'd never go back to it. But I'm also not afraid of confrontation and removing people who don't fit the vibe.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Beautifully done.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I'd love a draft eval to fill open roster spots, but we play in a 16 team league as it is. and that's just one out of 3 divisions in D. there's D2, C,1|2 B, A. I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day to have enough ice time for all that unless it's scheduled in the middle of the afternoon on a tuesday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The draft evaluation usually is one or two ice times across many divisions. The competitiveness of the skate itself is irrelevant.

Once the league knows you you don't skate in it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Presented without comment. Highlights are at 2:30 and 3:30. At my rink, but not my game or video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IucdBCAkOQ