Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If they can do no wrong then they wouldn’t be complaining so that doesn’t really work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

GrossMurpel posted:

More like they blindly buy every game because sacred Paradox can do no wrong, without actually looking at gameplay beforehand.

I mean to be fair, I was pretty shocked that they didn't even include functional MP with all of the MP dev streams they showed.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

To be honest, I think so as well. In my eyes, the problem is that there are a bunch of things that currently cost power that should have been free (or have another drawback), like diplomatic interactions, changing a governor's policy, setting up a trade route, etc.

In general I like the issue of these kinds of resources, but imperator rome suffered too often from situations where you literally can't do anything because you lack some resource.But it seems to me they can fix this without completely removing the system.

Yeah that's definitely how I felt when I played it, I figured it would be akin to EU4 but the implementation just didn't feel right.

I love how good and bad rulers can really drive a nation and your decisions, and let you punch well above your weight in EU4. All it felt like in Rome was getting more "money" to spend a bit quicker.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beamed posted:

It's kind of in line with a lot of Johan's other points about this game; in the Imperator thread, for example, he defends pirates currently being bad and annoying, because now he can change them later and players will like the changes, vs. adding pirates and players being upset about pirates. It's.. a frustratingly adversarial position to take with your playerbase.
I find this particular point especially hilarious because if they are going to add anything later, if they add it right, the players wouldnt get pissed. But in every Paradox game there are piracy mechanics that loving blow, hence why Johan would say something like that about pirates in particular.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess if you added pirates and did nothing else, people would think the pirates are bad anyway because their empire is just worse off than they were before pirates are added. (Even if rival empires are also worse off in just the same way, players wouldn't really look at it that way).

So piracy would have to come alongside some other economic tuning that softens the blow a bit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabor posted:

I guess if you added pirates and did nothing else, people would think the pirates are bad anyway because their empire is just worse off than they were before pirates are added. (Even if rival empires are also worse off in just the same way, players wouldn't really look at it that way).

So piracy would have to come alongside some other economic tuning that softens the blow a bit.
Yeah this encapsulates what I was trying to say. I still believe in Johan and I'm not trying to shittalk him, but yeah, if you add lovely pirate mechanics once the game went without them, people are going to be pissed. So maybe try adding pirate mechanics that dont suck?!?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
God I wish they had made this map for CK3 or Vicky3 right now. It even makes EU4 look like crud.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

God I wish they had made this map for CK3 or Vicky3 right now. It even makes EU4 look like crud.

Same. Also the updated portrait aging tech.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

V for Vegas posted:

I hope they take the province density into future games. I love how the wasteland mountains make passes a lot more strategically important, and make the geography more interesting. Especially stuff like Iran being a bunch of interconnected valleys and plateaus divided by large deserts and mountain ranges, its much more interesting than the block of provinces bordered by mountain ranges that it is in EU4.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I hope they take the province density into future games. I love how the wasteland mountains make passes a lot more strategically important, and make the geography more interesting. Especially stuff like Iran being a bunch of interconnected valleys and plateaus divided by large deserts and mountain ranges, its much more interesting than the block of provinces bordered by mountain ranges that it is in EU4.

Counterpoint: extremely high province density makes the game run worse and doesn't actually improve gameplay in a meaningful way. It just looks prettier.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sampatrick posted:

Counterpoint: extremely high province density makes the game run worse and doesn't actually improve gameplay in a meaningful way. It just looks prettier.
Red Bones explicitly calls out how it improves gameplay.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Imperator's best feature is easily its map.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm honestly impressed at how well it localizes a conflict. Armies are fighting in a small section of Greece with a decent amount of strategy involved instead of just casually chasing each other across half of Anatolia to try to gain an advantage.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the sense of actual passes and lines of conflict is huge and a vast improvement over just chasing down a lovely stack everywhere.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which one of you did this

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

V for Vegas posted:

Which one of you did this

Look, what I get tattoed on my penis is none of your business.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm more curious about the semicolon

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It was an awkward period in their life.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Red Bones explicitly calls out how it improves gameplay.

This is a function of the placement of impassable terrain, not a function of province density.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The two big things I want less of in paradox games are mana and province density, but I'm self-aware enough to then just not buy the game rather than buy it and leave a nasty review that makes poor Johan lose his ability to feel human anymore.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah honestly I'm not sure I like Imperator's province density. I'm sure it improves combat, but the biggest thing I was finding was that it made getting a handle on my country way harder than it had been in other Paradox games.

Also the uniform shapes and sizes of practically every province adds to that a lot, plus since every country in the game is some variant of pastel and three quarters of them are tiny interchangeable tribes. Even most of the flags are generic. Maybe this kind of thing isn't an issue for everyone, but for other Paradox games, even for regions I don't know so well before playing (e.g. Southeast Asia in EU4) I normally latch on to some visual landmarks and can start finding my way around things easily before long, but I was just constantly lost in Imperator. Antiquity's basically my favorite period too.

e: the wasteland provinces are great though, and I think the small uniform provinces look pretty slick even though I personally don't think they're so good from a functionality standpoint

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eh, even playing the EU4 mods with the improved maps makes the game feel way better. Typus is fantastic for that, in ways I have not thought about hard enough to write down.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

VostokProgram posted:

It's a suicide prevention/support thing.

https://projectsemicolon.com/

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

It was a fad for a bit to get it to say "I tried / wanted to commit suicide, but didn't"

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What did you get when you try suicidegirls

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's kind of one of the reasons I keep winding up playing Britain and Italy, since I can recognize those coastlines so easily, while playing in France, Germany, Poland, Russia, or the Levant is a bit of a pain to me because I can't as readily differentiate all this inland territory for figuring out which direction to expand.

I guess that may be part of why Paradox is always trying to push you towards the terrain mapmode, but I'd prefer something more abstract and representational than just trying to be photorealistic satellite views. My brain isn't used to engaging with satellite views like that, and I can't really eyeball what part of a colored topological map is supposed to be what specific terrain type, and I feel like a less-detailed but more clear design aesthetic might work better.

That and making more game mechanics that can use bits of the terrain or add to the terrain. I did start to see the shape of Poland after I started playing as a people who were capable of going down and using those rivers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps it would be good if they pushed more of the economic side of the game up to the "province" level (the one where they have governors and such), while keeping the denser city level for military actions.

The big annoyance with having so many tiny cities is the micro of managing pops and such in each one separately, right? You can get rid of that without losing the war benefits.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jabor posted:

Perhaps it would be good if they pushed more of the economic side of the game up to the "province" level (the one where they have governors and such), while keeping the denser city level for military actions.

The big annoyance with having so many tiny cities is the micro of managing pops and such in each one separately, right? You can get rid of that without losing the war benefits.
Yeah. I've been suggesting this for Victoria III, and it definitely seems like the way to go in general. At a very basic level, the two aspects of the game don't have much in common in terms of how the player interacts with them, so it makes a lot of sense to decouple them to give the developers more freedom when designing games.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
How is warfare meaningfully different with very high province density?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

How is warfare meaningfully different with very high province density?

The fort/zoc system doesn’t work without a minimum amount of provinces. That’s the big one in my mind.

Other,smaller benefits are that it reduces the amount of OPM and lets borders fit better. It also makes regional conflicts feel big. Imagine fighting a 3 way war over a 6 city Sicily. It’d feel a little underwhelming to me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Senor Dog posted:

The fort/zoc system doesn’t work without a minimum amount of provinces. That’s the big one in my mind.
This sorta has a parallel in Vicky II, except in that case it's trench warfare. In real life, the Eastern Front during WWI never had the soldier density on the front necessary to create true trench warfare. In Vicky II however, density is functionally measured per province, and thus the low number of Eastern European provinces actually makes trench warfare a viable approach. Eastern Europe probably isn't the only place where the balance between regiments and length of fronts measured in provinces get pushes into trench warfare territory either, I just like the example because the Western Front makes it pretty clear that trench warfare would've happened if it was possible.

Sufficiently massive provinces can also just be annoying to move armies around in, though obviously there's a balance to be struck there - too small can also get real annoying.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HoI4 would super super benefit from having roads, railroads, valleys, and other common attack vectors represented on the map. I think war is unnaturally blobby right now, like two amoebas trying to swallow each other. Like afaik the sino-japanese war was not actually fought by a continuous line of troops stretching thousands of miles from the coast to the Mongolian border.

Infrastructure doesn't count because infrastructure speeds movement in every direction. What I'm describing would speed movement along the road/railroad/trail/whatever but not movement perpendicular to it. Probably this needs to affect supply as well, so you can send a crack mountain division humping over the carpathians but trying to do it with whole armies would suck rear end

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This sorta has a parallel in Vicky II, except in that case it's trench warfare. In real life, the Eastern Front during WWI never had the soldier density on the front necessary to create true trench warfare. In Vicky II however, density is functionally measured per province, and thus the low number of Eastern European provinces actually makes trench warfare a viable approach. Eastern Europe probably isn't the only place where the balance between regiments and length of fronts measured in provinces get pushes into trench warfare territory either, I just like the example because the Western Front makes it pretty clear that trench warfare would've happened if it was possible.

Sufficiently massive provinces can also just be annoying to move armies around in, though obviously there's a balance to be struck there - too small can also get real annoying.

I don't know how you're playing V2 but there was certainly nothing remotely like trench warfare in it whenever I played it. Sure, there's the trench invention and stuff like the tank inventions which were used to break through trenchlines, but that's on an abstracted level that you never get to see except for defense/attack values.
Mostly the big wars consist of armies clashing with each other just like they used to do before WW1, the only difference being that you can now ship your entire theater directly into that battle in 7 days. And you can still go around the enemy armies if you feel like it, there's nothing like a trench system preventing you from doing so.
Hell, a bogged-down line in HoI is more like trench warfare than anything in V2.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

VostokProgram posted:

HoI4 would super super benefit from having roads, railroads, valleys, and other common attack vectors represented on the map. I think war is unnaturally blobby right now, like two amoebas trying to swallow each other. Like afaik the sino-japanese war was not actually fought by a continuous line of troops stretching thousands of miles from the coast to the Mongolian border.

Infrastructure doesn't count because infrastructure speeds movement in every direction. What I'm describing would speed movement along the road/railroad/trail/whatever but not movement perpendicular to it. Probably this needs to affect supply as well, so you can send a crack mountain division humping over the carpathians but trying to do it with whole armies would suck rear end

:agreed: the lack of geography of rail lines and mountains vs lowlands makes the warfare feel a bit blobby as you say - just huge fronts moving against each other. It seems too late to do something meaningful with rail in HOI4, but if Vicky 3 is in the works it's really something I'd like to see represented. The ability to quickly deploy armies or reserves to specific areas and keep them supplied should be a huge concern for industrial powers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't know how you're playing V2 but there was certainly nothing remotely like trench warfare in it whenever I played it. Sure, there's the trench invention and stuff like the tank inventions which were used to break through trenchlines, but that's on an abstracted level that you never get to see except for defense/attack values.
Mostly the big wars consist of armies clashing with each other just like they used to do before WW1, the only difference being that you can now ship your entire theater directly into that battle in 7 days. And you can still go around the enemy armies if you feel like it, there's nothing like a trench system preventing you from doing so.
Hell, a bogged-down line in HoI is more like trench warfare than anything in V2.

In the late game, generally the number of troops you can field goes up a lot faster than the supply limit of provinces, so it encourages spreading them out more. That, plus the fact that defense has a big spike around Machine Guns means that it's often better to arrange your armies in big wide fronts and wait for the enemy to attack one.

Managing all that is a real pain in the rear end though so I can understand why people would continue to just shift everyone around in giant doomstacks, attrition be damned. Victoria 3 would really benefit from some version of the HoI4 battle planner if they ever make it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Last game as France in Vicky I tried trench warfare, really effective. You make it three provinces deep, with your front line only a token force, your second the actual line that reinforces the first and counter-attacks, and third your reserve. Baits the AI into attacking and is a really effective carpet siege at the same time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the late game, generally the number of troops you can field goes up a lot faster than the supply limit of provinces, so it encourages spreading them out more. That, plus the fact that defense has a big spike around Machine Guns means that it's often better to arrange your armies in big wide fronts and wait for the enemy to attack one.

Managing all that is a real pain in the rear end though so I can understand why people would continue to just shift everyone around in giant doomstacks, attrition be damned. Victoria 3 would really benefit from some version of the HoI4 battle planner if they ever make it.

Oh yeah, certainly when I attack France as Germany I keep a bunch of stacks right next to each other at the border. That doesn't make it trench warfare though :v:. At best, it's like that one ability in March of the Eagles that allows you to have your armies march separately but support each other when battle breaks out.
Most strikingly, you abandon all your nearby defensive positions to reinforce an army that gets attacked, and the enemy also throws everything into that one battle. The simple fact that you can maneuver around enemy stacks means it's just good old armies marching around.
That's why I said a bogged-down line in HoI is far more like trenches than anything else. It's not necessarily meant to represent giant lines of trenches but you have two lines of troops spanning the entire border looking at each other, and if you can't force a breakthrough you can only slowly attack province by province while still keeping the line intact.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Last game as France in Vicky I tried trench warfare, really effective. You make it three provinces deep, with your front line only a token force, your second the actual line that reinforces the first and counter-attacks, and third your reserve. Baits the AI into attacking and is a really effective carpet siege at the same time.

Never played 1 but the AI in 2 as well is WAY too happy to attack an enemy stack it deems inferior with 10 bigger stacks around it that can reinforce it nigh instantly. It's fun for the player IMO but also kinda silly.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Best part was that the Vicky 2 ai didn't take army comp into account so you end up with 3 stacks of conscripts getting thrown into a normal 20 unit stack and getting destroyed because you were dig into the mountains with artillery support and they only had infantry

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agean90 posted:

Best part was that the Vicky 2 ai didn't take army comp into account so you end up with 3 stacks of conscripts getting thrown into a normal 20 unit stack and getting destroyed because you were dig into the mountains with artillery support and they only had infantry

Sounds like it was just trying to be historically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I like how whenever someone brings up "here was something bad in Vicky 2" there's always someone responding "That's just the game being historically accurate" :colbert: