Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MrBling posted:

It is a very small number of people that actually gets paid of WWE airs stuff with them.

Jesse Ventura is one of the few.

Wouldn't the fact that Ventura gets paid open the door for the rest of them to get paid royalties as well? Unless it has to do woth owninghis gimick or whatever but it's pretty amazing that WWE is still allowed to get away with this kind of "independent contractor" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MrBling posted:

It is a very small number of people that actually gets paid of WWE airs stuff with them.

Jesse Ventura is one of the few.

They get something. Lance Storm said he receives miniscule royalties for some Divas photoshoot video because he must be in the background of a backstage segment.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

WeaselWeaz posted:

They get something. Lance Storm said he receives miniscule royalties for some Divas photoshoot video because he must be in the background of a backstage segment.

Well yeah, but I was assuming he meant actual substantial royalties.

maniacripper posted:

Wouldn't the fact that Ventura gets paid open the door for the rest of them to get paid royalties as well? Unless it has to do woth owninghis gimick or whatever but it's pretty amazing that WWE is still allowed to get away with this kind of "independent contractor" bullshit.

Ventura had to sue WWE for misrepresenting his contract and fraud to get his royalties. There's a reason WWE does their utmost to never ever feature him in anything. Vince knows how to hold a grudge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The royalties issue is going to be interesting given how little revenue the network is going to bring in at first, but to me the most interesting issue is PPV payoffs. If they remove 8 PPVs a year and put them on the network, that is a big chunk of change out of the pockets of the wrestlers. WWE can pay out the token royalties and take the loss, but can they also cover the shortfall in the wrestler's bottom line or tell them to shove it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRayPer posted:

The royalties issue is going to be interesting given how little revenue the network is going to bring in at first, but to me the most interesting issue is PPV payoffs. If they remove 8 PPVs a year and put them on the network, that is a big chunk of change out of the pockets of the wrestlers. WWE can pay out the token royalties and take the loss, but can they also cover the shortfall in the wrestler's bottom line or tell them to shove it?

Do PPV payoffs come from the gate or from the buys?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Do PPV payoffs come from the gate or from the buys?

Both. Wrestlers get a percentage of the gate for every show but they also get a cut of PPV revenue. This has caused some problems in recent years. First when PPVs became dual branded lower card wrestlers from both brands (especially Smackdown) got left off PPVs and lost out. Then when buyrates started to die, everyone started making less money and started getting frustrated.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRayPer posted:

Both. Wrestlers get a percentage of the gate for every show but they also get a cut of PPV revenue. This has caused some problems in recent years. First when PPVs became dual branded lower card wrestlers from both brands (especially Smackdown) got left off PPVs and lost out. Then when buyrates started to die, everyone started making less money and started getting frustrated.

Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression that the wrestlers got paid based upon appearing on the show, followed by their placement on the show (so the guys in the dark match still got a base payday, but the dudes in the main event got a bigger check), and then later a cut of the gate, while WWE just pocketed everything after the split with the PPV providers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression that the wrestlers got paid based upon appearing on the show, followed by their placement on the show (so the guys in the dark match still got a base payday, but the dudes in the main event got a bigger check), and then later a cut of the gate, while WWE just pocketed everything after the split with the PPV providers.

My understanding is WWE contracts work this way:

Wrestlers are guaranteed a base pay. I think for the main roster the minimum is 60-70,000 (bigger stars have bigger bases.) So no matter what a wrestler under contract will make that.

They also receive incentives based on:

Live Gates
PPV Revenue
Merchandise/Licensing

So you technically wouldn't get paid anything just for being at the show, although I guess your base pay is sort of that. The incentives are tricky because they are not ON TOP of your base pay, that is to say they are not a bonus.

Let's say you are Stevie Richards before the ECW revival and you are almost never on TV. You are paid your base pay, but you will NOT get extra money for being in the pre Wrestlemania battle royal or in the Royal Rumble because those two appearances are worth less than your base pay.

However if you are Kofi Kingston, your cut of gate + PPV + merch will exceed your base pay so your base pay doesn't even matter, you might be doubling that. Unless you get injured, then it sure matters. But you won't get your base plus your cut of the other stuff, you will just get the value of the other stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I knew about the downside guarantees and the merch revenues. I just wasn't aware that the PPV buys factored into their pay.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm wondering how this lawsuit will be a factor in the future? If successful, would it open the flood gates to more payouts?

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/12/7/2619550/wwe-sued-by-former-awa-star-pretty-boy-doug-somers-for-dvd-royalties

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm wondering how this lawsuit will be a factor in the future? If successful, would it open the flood gates to more payouts?

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/12/7/2619550/wwe-sued-by-former-awa-star-pretty-boy-doug-somers-for-dvd-royalties

I doubt there would be a flood of payouts as WWE is fairly proactive about tracking down wrestlers and estates to pay royalties.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Dead Snoopy posted:

They may settle for a small amount but I don't see this resulting in much of a loss for WWE. There is plenty of history to show that wrestlers didn't get royalties for video tapes or syndication. That's also a major reason WWE gets guys under Legends deals.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In wondering about Hernandez's bordertoss and Inverted Sitout Powerbomb that nearly crippled Jessie Neal, how does a wrestler develop a move and how/do they test the move out to make sure that it's safe to use?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

TV Zombie posted:

In wondering about Hernandez's bordertoss and Inverted Sitout Powerbomb that nearly crippled Jessie Neal, how does a wrestler develop a move and how/do they test the move out to make sure that it's safe to use?

It's more that practice makes perfect. With a move such as Border Toss working with smaller opponents weighing less probably made it easier to pull off. Granted I haven't watched much TNA recently but doesn't he actualy bend over whilst tossing the guy to make it look more dangerous than it actualy is?

Speaking about top rope moves and their development during practice crashmats are used to measure distantance and gain confidence.

Both Jericho and Foley mention in their books that they practiced aerial moves on stuffed gym bags also.

I have no idea if people use suplex dummies in wrestling training like they do in MMA training.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
A lot of wrestlers like to visit a wrestling school and then use the best student as a move dummy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Lone Rogue posted:

A lot of wrestlers like to visit a wrestling school and then use the best student as a move dummy.

It's my understanding that some lovely schools also do that - basically getting the people to take the bumps without teaching them how to do the moves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Writer Cath posted:

It's my understanding that some lovely schools also do that - basically getting the people to take the bumps without teaching them how to do the moves.

Some even go so far as to kick a new student in the head to teach them a lesson.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MisterGBH posted:

It's more that practice makes perfect. With a move such as Border Toss working with smaller opponents weighing less probably made it easier to pull off. Granted I haven't watched much TNA recently but doesn't he actualy bend over whilst tossing the guy to make it look more dangerous than it actualy is?

If there is one wrestler who doesnt need to make his poo poo look more dangerous... I wouldnt trust hernandez to shake my hand without fracturing my C1 vertebrate frankly. Theres a gif of him in some music video giving a bikini model a border toss into a swimming pool, and despite the fact the girl must weigh about half again what her bikini weighs, her head still only clears the edge of the pool by the width of a gnats baw-hair.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Some new moves are also botches of existing ones (e.g. diving headbutt). Plus, once you're trained and know what bump is for an existing move, you could kind of do iterative changes. Don't need arms to take this move? Bam, armtrap or straight jacket variant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In some cases using a student as a pratice victim goes wrong. Great Khali accidentally killed a guy powerboming a student, although that has more to do with the trainers not realizing he was concussed after the first powerbomb (despite the student puking) and having him take another one.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In some cases using a student as a pratice victim goes wrong. Great Khali accidentally killed a guy powerboming a student, although that has more to do with the trainers not realizing he was concussed after the first powerbomb (despite the student puking) and having him take another one.

Wait what? The great Khali had "students"?
What did he teach them? How to be uncoordinated and locomotionally retarded?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

MisterGBH posted:

doesn't he actualy bend over whilst tossing the guy to make it look more dangerous than it actualy is?

no. the way he does it is much worse...he just loving heaves his opponent without a care for how they come down.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

jscolon2.0 posted:

Some new moves are also botches of existing ones (e.g. diving headbutt). Plus, once you're trained and know what bump is for an existing move, you could kind of do iterative changes. Don't need arms to take this move? Bam, armtrap or straight jacket variant.

What's the story behind the diving headbutt being a botch? Just a splash that didn't dive far enough?

Are there any other moves that were created by happy accident? I know the DDT was one, but there's presumably more.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

apsouthern posted:

What's the story behind the diving headbutt being a botch? Just a splash that didn't dive far enough?

Are there any other moves that were created by happy accident? I know the DDT was one, but there's presumably more.

I think the Pedigree also started off as a botch similar to the DDT

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

apsouthern posted:

Yup. Harley Race talked about it a little when the Benoit concussion stuff began to come out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Every time I think of the Border Toss I always think of that gif of hernandex doing it and then doing that stupid little jump/dance while they almost break their neck.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

maniacripper posted:

Wait what? The great Khali had "students"?
What did he teach them? How to be uncoordinated and locomotionally retarded?

No. When he was training with Roland Alexander's APW, he had been around for a while. I'll let the APW wiki article take it from here. Turns out it was a flapjack, not a powerbomb:

"APW suffered a wrongful death lawsuit to the family of APW Boot Camp trainee, Brian Ong. On May 28, 2001, Ong was training with fellow trainee Dalip Singh, despite suffering from an earlier concussion. Singh delivered a flapjack to Ong twice, with the second with his head striking the mat and worsening his concussion.[2] He was pronounced dead on arrival to a local hospital. Ong's family sued APW for reckless behavior. The case was filed in September 2002, and the trial was underway on June 10, 2005. After a three-week trial, on July 12, the jury voted unanimously in favor of the Ong family. APW was forced to pay $1.3 million to the Ong family.[3]"

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

Yup. Harley Race talked about it a little when the Benoit concussion stuff began to come out.
Something along the lines of "I wish I'd never invented that loving move."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

apsouthern posted:

The Ganso Bomb came about when Kawada's arm was broken and he couldn't hold Misawa up properly.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Perigryn posted:

The Ganso Bomb came about when Kawada's arm was broken and he couldn't hold Misawa up properly.

Kawada's use of it started there, but an extremely similar (and safer) version was used by Rick Rude 10 years before Kawada did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqG4CfGf4cU

I also found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQwuf8ohntM

I don't know how old it is, but apparently the man in yellow is an unmasked Ultimo Dragon so I am pretty sure it predates Kawada's.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqG4CfGf4cU[/url]

quote:

they really need to bring back steroids and cocaine into wrestling

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

To be fair if that happened there wouldn't be as much stagnation in the product. You try to pull that stop and start bullshit with a locker room filled with roided up coked out maniacs. Hell, Vince might start pushing people since he'd see more of himself in them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be fair if that happened there wouldn't be as much stagnation in the product. You try to pull that stop and start bullshit with a locker room filled with roided up coked out maniacs. Hell, Vince might start pushing people since he'd see more of himself in them.

To be fair, shut up.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Cocaine helps you get things done and steroids make you swoll as poo poo. There is 0 downside to either and you're spitting in the face of human evolution if you aren't using the tools science has given us.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, shut up.

Ah yes, because I was 100% serious and was really advocating the use of cocaine and steroids for career purposes.

You plonker.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ah yes, because I was 100% serious and was really advocating the use of cocaine and steroids for career purposes.

You plonker.

Yes excellent shitpost.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

With all the steroid use back in those days, I'm actually shocked that there aren't more stories of serious confrontations backstage. How did they manage to get roided up in that kind of locker room, spend every night pretending to want to kill each other, and not wind up with serious assaults and the like? Even just a too-stiff chop or a sloppy suplex could have sent one of them into a fury.

I remember hearing that Savage was psychotically "protective" of Elizabeth. Did anything ever come of that? Did anyone end up with broken bones because they dared to talk to her?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

With all the steroid use back in those days, I'm actually shocked that there aren't more stories of serious confrontations backstage. How did they manage to get roided up in that kind of locker room, spend every night pretending to want to kill each other, and not wind up with serious assaults and the like? Even just a too-stiff chop or a sloppy suplex could have sent one of them into a fury.

I guess you've never heard of Dynamite Kid...

Also, some of the toughest guys in the business were calm and collected like Haku.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
See, Hogan wasn't passing out the pot back in the day because he was a huge hypocrite, he was just trying to keep the peace, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess you've never heard of Dynamite Kid...

Also, some of the toughest guys in the business were calm and collected like Haku.

Didn't Haku bite a man's nose off during a bar brawl? Or is that the joke?