Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah we definitely did not feed our twins enough the first few weeks and they lost a bunch of weight. We wanted to exclusively breastfeed but with two it was impossible and it took us until maybe the second week before we realized we needed to supplement them with formula.

Getting them more milk/formula immediately helped: they gained weight and slept longer periods at a time which let us restore a little bit of sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We were shown this in some baby class, which I found very helpful as a guide to how much more babies eat in the very first days.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

nwin posted:

I don’t think either hospital told us how much to feed the kids except to feed every 2-3 hours. In the hospital they had us use these little 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and the lactation consultants and nurses were saying how good we’re doing and how much my wife was producing. We just assumed it would be only a little more the first night. I think we should have been doing 1-2 ounces a feeding instead maybe? Right now on day 5 he’s between 2-3 ounces a feeding every 3 hours. If I remember right the goal is 24 oz a day.

We had to supplement with formula for #2’s first night of cluster feeding. Wife was just beat dead tired and couldn’t. The nurse was super great and tried really hard to reassure us that formula use is ok and “fed is best.”

She gave use these bottles of pre-mixed formula and was like “try and get him to eat 15 mL.” Little guy downed 35 mL and fell into a food coma.

I think there is wide variance in what infants need to eat.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cailleask posted:

We were shown this in some baby class, which I found very helpful as a guide to how much more babies eat in the very first days.

And then there was my kid who just sucked down seemingly as much as a baby twice his size.

And then he grew to be 95th percentile in weight and height.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AHHH our little dude is a year old today. Somehow we kept him alive and us mostly sane.

Yesterday he refused his baby high chair at the dining room table and ate dinner standing on a chair (with us hovering real close so be wouldn't fall). How times change.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

L0cke17 posted:

AHHH our little dude is a year old today. Somehow we kept him alive and us mostly sane.

Yesterday he refused his baby high chair at the dining room table and ate dinner standing on a chair (with us hovering real close so be wouldn't fall). How times change.

Congratulations! We are lucky and our kid loves his high chair, sometimes even when he’s not hungry. It is hilarious when you start to pull the tray away after a meal and he immediately lunges for it and locks it back into place.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

L0cke17 posted:

Congratulations!!

Oxo makes a pretty good booster seat (‘nest’ I think?), would recommend.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My husband was supposed to take our daughter for the weekend to spend time at his parent’s house with her since he’s staying there. A couple days ago I got mail saying he had been pulled over and ticketed for driving without a license, but hasn’t paid the fine yet. He said he had proof he had a license, and I said if he came with proof that he could drive her (about 40 minutes away) but if he didn’t have proof, he could have one of his parents drive. He showed up an hour late this morning without proof, so I said he’s not driving her. He started swearing at me in front of our daughter and blaming me for how difficult his life is now, then he took off. He saw her for about 20 minutes.

I called his parents sobbing, they were really looking forward to having the weekend with their grand daughter. Now they are driving up, getting a car seat, and taking her back to their house. Meanwhile I’m in the middle of my stretch of night shifts, I’m pregnant AF, and I need to be sleeping, but here I am awake, with my mom staying to watch my daughter, while his parents clean up his mess.

He has never been such an rear end in a top hat before. I don’t understand where this complete flip in personality is coming from.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

FWIW, I've read in a book on developmental psychology that most personality disorders can't be diagnosed until the late teens, because kid's personalities are so fluid (and are supposed to be fluid) up 'til then. I'm talking actual personality disorders like psychopathy/antisocial, borderline syndrome, dependent PD, narcissistic PD, etc, not just someone being kind of a dick.

That's kind of my take yeah, plus this is a stressful situation for her coupled with her dad being a huge flaming sack of poo poo who can't help loving up. We slapped his attorney with a notice of hearing and like ten things we want covered before July gets here and he takes her for a month... and he still showed up yesterday claiming that it was his weekend to take her and saying that he'd file a police report if we didn't hand her over.

... it was, in fact, not his weekend so we told him to be sure to send us a copy of the police report before we went back to dinner.

Meanwhile we've had her for two weeks straight thanks to Mother's Day overruling the standard 1st/3rd/5th in the decree and she's doing so much better. Like falling asleep easier and spending the whole night in her room until morning, generally happier and better behaved.

Our son meanwhile continues to do trust leaps off the couch because he's a madman.

Koivunen posted:

He has never been such an rear end in a top hat before. I don’t understand where this complete flip in personality is coming from.

He got caught and is being forced to pay for his actions. Either that was always his personality and he just kept it hidden (such as my wife's ex) or he's spiralling because of how much he hosed up.

It's not your fault in the first place but it is especially not your fault as he faces his consequences.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Lashing out because he’s realized he’s made a huge, life-altering mistake but doesn’t want to own up to it?

This guy sucks, I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Koivunen I just again want to say how amazing you are and how well you are handling this. I'm glad you have the in real life support you do and you are doing the right things for you and your kids, even though I'm sure it is hard and super sucks right now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My mind completely boggles at the idea of being so cruel to someone in their third trimester. It's totally wild.

Stay strong up there, it's going to get easier eventually.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah it could be a combination of his personality showing through and the fact he hosed up and he knows it. I’m sure he also knows he had a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, to patch it up with you when you initially wanted to work through it and now he’s likely lost that chance.

He’s an rear end in a top hat for making you do this alone because I’ve observed from my wife’s experience that the third trimester especially is super uncomfortable even if you’re not throwing up every day. To not be with you supporting you and helping you do things in this time, but wanting to be there for the birth is kind of...tone deaf?

I hope his parents never let him hear the end of it about what he’s doing. I’m glad they are helping out in his stead—I’m sure you could use a break.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Bluey season 2 hits Disney+ 5/28 :3:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone else’s infants seem to know when you’re about to eat? Without fail my wife will be sitting there fork in hand, and our daughter will wake up from a deep baby sleep to start fussing her hungry cry. It’s happened every single time.

What even is life

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

marchantia posted:

Oh thank gently caress.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

Anyone else’s infants seem to know when you’re about to eat? Without fail my wife will be sitting there fork in hand, and our daughter will wake up from a deep baby sleep to start fussing her hungry cry. It’s happened every single time.

What even is life

Oh that happened today! We were thankful, but sick of eating meals people prepared for us, so I made pizza dough a few days ago in prep for pizza night which we did weekly pre-second kid.

The second the I start making the first pizza, baby needs fed. Do we have any available milk? No, so on the boob he goes. So I made the first pizza and fed my son and I and got the second pizza ready to cook for when my wife was done feeding him some 30 minutes later.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

marchantia posted:

Oh joy, more reasons for my daughter to talk in a faux-Aussie accent and demanding i play along exactly how the dad does...

(Still loving better than Peppa Pig or Tayo the bus at least)

What even is life

I'm convinced all children have latent psychic powers and can pick up on both that and when we try to have alone time after they're put to bed.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Barely related but our cat has an uncanny ability to know exactly when a movie is over in 5 minutes and come hop onto the couch and settle into one of our laps exactly then and not a minute before.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What even is life

The warmer setting on my oven has become my best friend.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

What even is life

My baby is a jerk about his mama eating. Just today, lil bit past his 3rd breakfast, me and ma were chowing down on our cereal and toss a boiled egg to our dog. He cooed at the excitement of dog catching egg, but then realize he was the only one not eating and that was a ~problem~.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Like I’m thinking of getting a snack right now, but I know as soon as I do, ima have to wake up my wife

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My toddler also does this with naps. He can be having a great nap and as long as I’m keeping busy and running errands, he sleeps. But the second I sit down to relax, he’s always up within A few minutes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

My toddler also does this with naps. He can be having a great nap and as long as I’m keeping busy and running errands, he sleeps. But the second I sit down to relax, he’s always up within A few minutes.

Preach, brother

poo poo always happens

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

When do babies start staying awake more and not just doing sleep/poo poo/eat/puke/eat/piss/sleep?

I vaguely remember something called tummy time but at 6 days this kid likes to snooze.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My 15 month old girl keeps shoving her fingers and hand down her throat and makes herself throw up when she wants attention. Sometimes I need to put her in her playpen so I can take care of her twin brother, or cook, or clean. But if she isn't getting attention when she wants it I'll sometimes see her standing in a little puddle of her own vomit.

Any tips for stopping this behavior? The pediatrician already assured me that there's nothing wrong with her and it's just a behavioral thing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mind_Taker posted:

My 15 month old girl keeps shoving her fingers and hand down her throat and makes herself throw up when she wants attention. Sometimes I need to put her in her playpen so I can take care of her twin brother, or cook, or clean. But if she isn't getting attention when she wants it I'll sometimes see her standing in a little puddle of her own vomit.

Any tips for stopping this behavior? The pediatrician already assured me that there's nothing wrong with her and it's just a behavioral thing.

A lot of these things are just phases and hopefully in another week or two it will just pass. I’m wondering if maybe you could just distract her with a toy while you tend to her brother?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

nwin posted:

When do babies start staying awake more and not just doing sleep/poo poo/eat/puke/eat/piss/sleep?

I vaguely remember something called tummy time but at 6 days this kid likes to snooze.

I think 8 weeks was when our kid moved away from the constant sleep/feed “grub” cycle.

You can start tummy time right away. At 7 days they will only do it for a few minutes but just keep at it. Try to pop up down for a few minutes 2-3x a day and pick them up when they cry.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
3.5 yo potty training done(?)! Only took 4 days tied to her the whole time but apparently the missing step was just to just get rid of the diapers because she didn't want to pee or poop if she wasn't wearing anything; 2 days later she's in underwear without any accidents so now I just need to ween her off the jellybeans she's been getting everytime she pees, and figure out how to use disgusting public bathrooms where I don't want to touch anything (that's more training me).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

nwin posted:

I think they kind of perk up around the end of the second week or so

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah ours is definitely awake more at almost 4wks than she was the week she was born. She still does a ton of sleeping but is awake and alert for like 15-20min at a time sometimes. Granted most of her awake and alert time is spent being hangry but if she isn’t asleep and isn’t hangry crying she’s calm and awake and just studying everything and being extra adorable

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My 8wk old’s favorite activity is forcing eye contact. He absolutely will call us out if we look elsewhere. Gives us lots of smiles but pls this is not very exciting.

Our first couldn’t have cared less about staring lovingly at each other so I predict this second child will be a ~different experience~.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok this is apropos of nothing but I just noticed that Hailee Steinfeld is definitely lip-synching in Sesame Street S51 and it’s really bothering me for some reason

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Has anyone been through braces with their kids yet? Just got back from the orthodontist with my 10 year old and she needs a fair amount of work but nothing too crazy. The quoted price, while it's not cheap, still feels too good to be true. Are there going to be hidden/added costs as things go along? They quoted a 19 month treatment plan.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Has anyone had a kid get sick over and over again since returning to school? My son is 7 and was fully remote until maybe 3 months ago. Since going back full time he's gotten a cold probably 4 or 5 times. They made us get him a covid test two weeks ago which came back negative, he got better after a couple days, then within 3-4 days of being in school he has a funny nose and a cough yet again. So they're making us get yet another covid test.
Him getting sick so much would be a pain even without all these covid protocols. His mother doesn't drive so I keep having to leave work to pick him up which is really putting a strain on my job.
He's autistic so his diet isn't the best (chicken nuggets and waffles are about all he'll eat regularly) but he takes a multivitamin every day. We make sure he washes his hands a lot at home but we have to rely on his para and teachers to make sure he's doing it when he's at school
We just started giving him vitamin C gummies before school every day, time will tell it that makes any difference at all.
We're making an appointment with his doctor today so we can get this figured out but man this is stressful.

Sorry for the long, rambling disjointed post but GOD IM SO STRESSED OUT FFFFFFFF

Edit: also, does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get snot out of his nose? Like I said he's autistic and for some reason he is VERY against blowing his nose. I've tried everything I can think of to convince him that it will help him feel better but he's just not having any of it. obviously him blowing his nose would help massively but he just refuses. Seriously thinking about just homeschooling this kid

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FordCQC posted:

Has anyone been through braces with their kids yet? Just got back from the orthodontist with my 10 year old and she needs a fair amount of work but nothing too crazy. The quoted price, while it's not cheap, still feels too good to be true. Are there going to be hidden/added costs as things go along? They quoted a 19 month treatment plan.

I haven't been through it with my own kid, but my two siblings and I all had braces back in the mid-late 90s. That seems about right for the length of time, and I know my own cost about $3000. My brothers' cost more and took longer overall, since they had more severe issues in some areas (I just kinda looked like I could have eaten corn on the cob through a chain link fence).

Some things might end up being a surprise and adding a bit of cost, like one of my brothers turning out to just be entirely missing one of his adult teeth (never formed, and the matching baby tooth was actually growing from the same root as its neighbor). But even that far back, braces were just....a pretty routine thing, with very few surprises. I can only imagine it's probably gotten even more so.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Maybe he would be into a neti pot (possibly a big ask) or there is a device we use with a tube to suck mucus out (gotta be pretty wet though) but that also might be too big an ask as it’s not that comfortable and our kids would fight like mad.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The ENT is recommending getting tonsils out in all 3 kids. They said it'll be a full week of recovery. What's y'all's experience with getting tonsils out? Kids are 5 yo and twin 3 yo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need advice on what to do with my toddler and sleeping.

He’s 2.5 and still in the crib. He’s short and he’s only tried to climb out twice if that. We’ve kept him in the crib this long but now he’s getting near 30 pounds and he’s loving awkward to hold while doing his sleep routine, so I’m thinking of doing a toddler bed and switching his sleep routine.

Currently we change diaper, brush teeth, read a few stories and then I turn off the lights. I’ll hold him for a few minutes near his bed and then plop him down, keep a hand on his chest for a minute, and then leave the room. My thought is if we switch to a toddler bed, we could just read the stories in bed and then tuck him in, turn the light off and leave. I don’t see how that would be feasible while keeping him in a crib. Also dreading the toddler bed because that’s going to be a whole other thing to deal with since he’ll be able to run around his room.

Any thoughts/advice on what to do/when to do it? With our other kid being a week old, we’re a little hesitant to switch poo poo up, but I can’t keep holding him. Dude is fine if he wraps his legs around me, but he likes to curl into a ball and push his knees against my stomach and stick his but out, and now he’s getting too tall where I almost can’t hold him.

Edit: reading further on this, he may not be ready to transition and doing it now with a new sibling is a horrible time to switch him up.

Not sure how we can make it so he stops pushing against us while holding him. Maybe I just need advice on how to just go from reading stories to putting him
In the bed and leaving?

nwin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

killer crane posted:

The ENT is recommending getting tonsils out in all 3 kids. They said it'll be a full week of recovery. What's y'all's experience with getting tonsils out? Kids are 5 yo and twin 3 yo.

None personally, but our nanny had to get hers out last year and she said it was the worst thing ever as an adult. Apparently it's way easier for kids. So if it seems like they'll need em out... Seems best to just bite the bullet.