Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only constant ads I can remember are the empty your bowel one. Its the first one trick your doctor doesn't want you to know one I can remember. They've fronted eggs, burning nuts, and boiling banana peels. Medical history has no shortage of examples of ways to make you poop that make no sense and can fool no one (because the poop doesn't come out)

I put forth that poop scams are the first quackery and will be the last quackery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

zedprime posted:

I put forth that poop scams are the first quackery and will be the last quackery.

There’s no way that title doesn’t go to boner scams.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

A collection of ads I have gotten while browsing Tumblr.

You know who's gonna buy garbage trucks? Teenagers arguing about Steven Universe ships and Hazbin Hotel or whatever is big with the kids now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You outed yourself because no one but tumblr cares about Hazbin Hotel

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

The only constant ads I can remember are the empty your bowel one. Its the first one trick your doctor doesn't want you to know one I can remember. They've fronted eggs, burning nuts, and boiling banana peels. Medical history has no shortage of examples of ways to make you poop that make no sense and can fool no one (because the poop doesn't come out)

True. It's produced great art as well. I found a framed copy of this in a charity shop about twenty years ago and it's been on the wall ever since.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

StillFullyTerrible posted:

fishmech is that you?

that is the meanest thing anybody has ever said to me

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jojoinnit posted:

Elbows are overrated

Isn't that just Chloe Ting?

I've been told she's basically a robot/AI creation.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't that just Chloe Ting?

I've been told she's basically a robot/AI creation.

What's super weird is I saw this exact ad on Amazon recently but the woman was wearing an entirely different outfit and -didn't- look photoshopped all to hell.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Segmentation Fox posted:

What's super weird is I saw this exact ad on Amazon recently but the woman was wearing an entirely different outfit and -didn't- look photoshopped all to hell.

Some Intern got the memo "thinner" as the only response eighteen times in a row and submitted that as a joke

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This Jesus has pretty bad skin, we can't have some greasy neckbeard on our public fresco, time to break out the ol' Shop...

Oops, finger slipped, I'll just edit that area a bit as well...

Well, now we just have to make some changes all around to keep things consistent...

There, perfect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1293190124084240386?s=20

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They made the peanut too sexy now.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like it! Wanna buy that peanut a beer. Doesn't seem like all those stuck up "I only drink armangac" cashews you see all the time in bars.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Why can't companies just go "Look, we get it, the baby peanut was weird, we hosed up. We're bringing back the tophat mascot that we've had for years but nobody really cared about but was instantly recognizable"

Instead they do poo poo like this. What happens in those marketing meetings?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why can't companies just go "Look, we get it, the baby peanut was weird, we hosed up. We're bringing back the tophat mascot that we've had for years but nobody really cared about but was instantly recognizable"

People with expensive marketing degrees who are absolutely desperate to justify them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus Christ. Crosspost from the BWM thread, because this is totally dumb marketing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-08-04/the-inside-story-of-pepsi-s-philippines-bottle-contest-fiasco

quote:

Within a year, a violent consumer uprising would be under way, with riots and grenade attacks leaving dozens injured and five dead.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Because that would mean someone admitting they were wrong. Far better to keep pushing the same campaign until people grudgingly accept it because who's going to give a poo poo about peanuts for that long?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's like when companies change their logos (often for the worse) for no loving reason.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's like when companies change their logos (often for the worse) for no loving reason.

Weird-cult-like-Pepsi-re-branding-document.pdf

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

I loving loved watching them fall down the rabbit hole with this stupid poo poo. It's not going to make me any more or less likely to buy peanuts or anything, but it was a great source of entertainment. :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Joey Freshwater posted:

What happens in those marketing meetings?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Double post, I'm sure you'll survive

Dig up, stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

There are three reasons for a logo change

1) The company was bought, bought someone, divested from their most well known but less profitable business line and management unanimously agrees they need to change to mark the new chapter of their business
2) A new CMO got hired and to prove their value, changes the company logo to show they are leading in a bold new direction
3) An entrenched CMO feels like the company is totally different now and needs a design reflecting that, even though nobody outside the company or below VP level has noticed any actual change during said CMOs tenure, much less over the preceding decades

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
4) The company has become so infamous for their crimes that their brand recognition has become a liability rather than an asset, and it needs a new identity so their public image can move up from “universally reviled” to “unknown”.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

4) The company has become so infamous for their crimes that their brand recognition has become a liability rather than an asset, and it needs a new identity so their public image can move up from “universally reviled” to “unknown”.

Ah, the ValuJet -> Airtran tactic

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there really a significant number of examples of that, it seems like most of the 'universally reviled' companies (Amazon, Ryanair, EA, etc.) are doing just fine and in fact better than average, since most people value their personal savings over abstract things like labor and consumer rights

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It gets better (worse).

https://twitter.com/7ElevenAus/status/1293785397319761920

darkspider42 posted:

Ah, the ValuJet -> Airtran tactic

Blackwater→Xe→Academi

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Is there really a significant number of examples of that, it seems like most of the 'universally reviled' companies (Amazon, Ryanair, EA, etc.) are doing just fine and in fact better than average, since most people value their personal savings over abstract things like labor and consumer rights

Is Amazon really universally reviled though? Outside of the internet I've never heard about all their bad poo poo. Even when brought up in normal conversations, I've mentioned to people something like how they don't pay taxes and it gets met with complete confusion. My parents loving love Amazon because a portion of the poo poo they buy goes to their favorite charity (which Amazon then uses as a tax write off yay)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Phlegmish posted:

These companies basically have monopolies. I do everything I can to avoid buying from Amazon but every so often I run into something where it's like 10 on Amazon or 50 elsewhere, such as a screen protector or phone case or some kind of cable.

I also have had Amazon fulfil orders from other sites like abebooks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CommonShore posted:

These companies basically have monopolies. I do everything I can to avoid buying from Amazon but every so often I run into something where it's like 10 on Amazon or 50 elsewhere, such as a screen protector or phone case or some kind of cable.

I also have had Amazon fulfil orders from other sites like abebooks.

Maglite torch, 35 Eur in Amazon.de with home delivery, 95 Eur in the local "near monopoly" hardware store. And the one in the hardware store was the smaller model with non-led bulb.

I hate using Amazon because of obvious reasons, but in this country we basically have two Wallmart-style superchains who sell everything and own every other retail store chain (and we also have Lidl but only the small stores). They price gouge you with every item they can get away with, and realistically have no interest on competing against each other.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All good points, although where I live (the Benelux) Amazon isn't really a thing at all so far, that niche is already occupied. Sometimes I just get a little frustrated at how there can be visible and justified frustration at a certain company's practices, yet it doesn't seem to affect their profits (clearly the only thing they care about) in the slightest.

I totally get it if you're short on cash and I'm not judging those people, but if you claim to despise Activision while not even having the willpower to play a nearly identical shooter instead of their latest hit Call of Duty 37: Modern Darkfare, I reserve the right to mock you for that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I worked at Barnes & Noble and had a book discount (30 percent not sure how that;s changed in the past six or so years) I still bought my books on Amazon as it was so much cheaper.

DrBouvenstein posted:

This and slack were what I had in mind when I made the post haha

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Aug 13, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phlegmish posted:

All good points, although where I live (the Benelux) Amazon isn't really a thing at all so far, that niche is already occupied. Sometimes I just get a little frustrated at how there can be visible and justified frustration at a certain company's practices, yet it doesn't seem to affect their profits (clearly the only thing they care about) in the slightest.
Yes but libertarianism works because

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

I totally get it if you're short on cash and I'm not judging those people, but if you claim to despise Activision while not even having the willpower to play a nearly identical shooter instead of their latest hit Call of Duty 37: Modern Darkfare, I reserve the right to mock you for that.

I'm trying to think of an alternative to CoD that isn't made by EA and I'm coming up blank. There are battle royales and games like Overwatch but those are essentially different genres.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm trying to think of an alternative to CoD that isn't made by EA and I'm coming up blank. There are battle royales and games like Overwatch but those are essentially different genres.

is the joke that we're forgetting Battlefield exists

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

Yes but libertarianism works because

Yeah, that's the obvious problem with economic liberalism, and it's even been a part of basic economics classes for decades, so there's no excuse. It is in companies' immediate individual interests to subvert the idealized capitalist 'free market' by establishing monopolies (cartels if necessary), withholding information from or misleading consumers, underpaying their employees even if it means they can't be proper consumers in their own right, permanently destroying the environment that is sustaining their activities, etc.
Similarly, 95% of consumers will put convenience and their bank accounts above anything else, no matter what they might say.

I don't even think this is particularly shocking or reprehensible, especially the latter case. It takes very strong moral convictions to personally inconvenience yourself in a tangible way just to make an insignificant contribution to whichever abstract moral or ideological issue you think is affecting the collectivity and/or people you don't know. Fundamentally, it's not up to us as individual consumers to change the system. As a society, we need to establish a (better) baseline of what we think is morally acceptable, and then do what it takes to enforce that, no excuses or exceptions.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Aug 13, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is the joke that we're forgetting Battlefield exists

That's EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't actually know anything about Call of Duty beyond the sequel from 2005, I'm just a nerdster disdainfully using the incredibly popular FPS series as an example.

Alhough I will now proceed to glibly assume that in that scenario you could just go back and replay Call of Duty 36: Dark Modernfare, which you already own, instead