Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Queue jumping is, I think, literally for queuing for battle

It's for queuing with a ship while another ship is still in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The official forum is saying "Shot in The Dark" is for plane kills...but I definitely got it for shooting a boat that went into smoke and disappeared before my shells landed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Devorum posted:

The official forum is saying "Shot in The Dark" is for plane kills...but I definitely got it for shooting a boat that went into smoke and disappeared before my shells landed.

I definitely got it for sniping a Kongo that we lost spotting on before the shells hit.

You can also see in those Leander screenshots I got 8 bomb hits, but I didn't get Run Admiral, Run, so that one's not right on the forums

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
I am Khabarovsk, Destroyer of worlds.

The annoying thing is, I would have gotten kraken as well if someone didn't snipe the carrier at the very end after I had done 40k damage to it.

Edit: bbcode is weird sometimes, included images.

The grind for the khabarovsk really is worth it, it shits on almost everything.

Chucullinn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chucullinn posted:

The annoying thing is, I would have gotten kraken as well if someone didn't snipe the carrier at the very end after I had done 40k damage to it.

Ugh, the old 4 kills and almost a 5th game. Hate when that happens.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ice Fist posted:

Ugh, the old 4 kills and almost a 5th game. Hate when that happens.

And the kill sniper is almost always a 'stayed in the rear :downs: guy who gets all :smug: that he got a kill' type, too.

"See? I did something! ~GEE GEE~, guys!" :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Devorum posted:

I got it while strafing planes in my Essex so :iiam:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
What are people's thoughts on the Type 6 camo (+100% XP, 50 Doubloons)? My quick calculations suggest if you earn 1250 base XP, its better than just converting XP with doubloons at 25xp/doubloon.

In fact, how do all the modifiers stack? Premium, Camo, XP, Free XP & Commander XP Flags, First Win...do these compound and are there any strategies people use to maximize it?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

MadJackMcJack posted:

It's for queuing with a ship while another ship is still in battle.

I got it in my Fletcher after my first match this morning so that's either wrong or it's not working right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

I got it while strafing planes in my Essex so :iiam:

Damage to planes is listed as part of the damage to the ship in the new post screen stats, maybe killing enough planes in one go from a carrier you can't see is counting as the same thing?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Type 6 camo (+100% XP, 50 Doubloons)? My quick calculations suggest if you earn 1250 base XP, its better than just converting XP with doubloons at 25xp/doubloon.

My thoughts are that as soon as I equip it I'll get detonated in the first salvo of the game :negative:

Astroniomix posted:

I got it in my Fletcher after my first match this morning so that's either wrong or it's not working right.

Possibly. They do seem screwy across the board.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

In fact, how do all the modifiers stack? Premium, Camo, XP, Free XP & Commander XP Flags, First Win...do these compound and are there any strategies people use to maximize it?

(Base XP * Account Modifier) * (1 + First Win of the Day + Signal Bonus + Event Bonus + Camouflage Bonus)

Account Modifier: 1.5 if user has a premium account, otherwise this is 1.
First Win of the Day: Value is normally 0. This value represents the multiplier for First Win of the Day -- normally 0.5. Some events will increase this.
Signal Bonus: If Equal Speed Charlie London signal is equipped, this value is 0.5. Otherwise it's 0.
Event Bonus: Any multiplier for event bonuses. A 5% increase would be 0.05, for example.
Camouflage Bonus: Bonus from any equipped camouflage is applied here. For premium ships, tiers 5 and below, this value is 0.3. For tier 6 and above, this value is 0.5. Some forms of premium camouflage bought for gold have their own values, as high as 1.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

From the forums: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/94552-solving-the-event-achievements/

Looks like the only one that hasn't been definitively figured out is King of the Party. And A Shot in the Dark is speculated to have multiple conditions, for one reason or another.

edit: Looking them over, the most annoying one for me is definitely going to be Life and Soul of the Party, since I nearly always play solo. I've got some friends who play though, maybe I'll just bug one of them for a division game. Or actually hop on the goon board. Not exactly something I need to decide this moment.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

From the forums: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/94552-solving-the-event-achievements/

Looks like the only one that hasn't been definitively figured out is King of the Party. And A Shot in the Dark is speculated to have multiple conditions, for one reason or another.

edit: Looking them over, the most annoying one for me is definitely going to be Life and Soul of the Party, since I nearly always play solo. I've got some friends who play though, maybe I'll just bug one of them for a division game. Or actually hop on the goon board. Not exactly something I need to decide this moment.

But the requirement for it is to get a compliment, and you can't compliment someone in your division.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

But the requirement for it is to get a compliment, and you can't compliment someone in your division.

Ah, whoops. You can see how much I know about what divisions can and cannot do. :v:

Eh, I've got 10 days to either get lucky or just ask in chat, I guess.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

El Disco posted:

You can if they leave the game/division before the match ends.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

what if you're maxed out on compliment karma from rando teammates and can't go any higher :c00lbert:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just had a game where a bismark, Gneisenau. and Scharnhost all parked outside a cap bow on and didn't move. My team did the smart thing and left them there and capped everything else. Sometimes the pubbies are on the other team.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Took the Kiev out for a spin.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is using the carrier in a primarily AA role a viable strategy? I've had some back to back games today where I've done 20+ airplane kills but only landed 4 or 5 torpedoes and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

E.
In a Bogue but I just upgraded to the Independence

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

the trump tutelage posted:

Is using the carrier in a primarily AA role a viable strategy? I've had some back to back games today where I've done 20+ airplane kills but only landed 4 or 5 torpedoes and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

E.

Bogue in particular only really works in the AA loadout, it just doesn't have enough planes to do otherwise.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

E.

With the Independence, you will probably be using the 1st plane loadout (1/1/1) the most. The other two are 2 fighter/1 bomber or 1 Torpedo/2 bomber. One thing you will have to get used to (and learn to take advantage of) is that you are now driving a Cleveland that got sanded flat & had a flight deck slapped on. This means a 31 knot capable hull that can actually turn. I personally put the Rudder Shift mod in the 4th equipment slot. You will use this speed to stay a bit closer to whatever constitutes the front line (so you can cycle plane groups faster), or to GTFO if stuff goes south on you.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Chucullinn posted:

:hfive: Murderboat Bro !!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://na.warships.today/player/1001776930/wolferbill2

This guy has played 13,818 games, and it doesn't seem like he's a bot.

That's about 39.4% of hours in this past year since release - likely almost half his waking hours - solely playing boats.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

E.

Air supremacy CVs can work... but they're a support role primarily. You're giving up your ability to deal damage to have greater vision control than the enemy, while offering the enemy a chance to deal damage to your ships (when instead you could pick another ship and potentially not have a CV at all).

In randoms, its hit or miss. You will rarely ever "carry" your team, so its mostly a matter of how well you shut down the enemy CV and if your superior spotting enables your team to edge out victory. If they're potatoes, this will mean literally nothing and you're only shooting yourself in the foot.

In a division, or Team Battles, it becomes much more valuable. The more you can trust in your allies to prevail with superior spotting, the more valuable the air superiority loadout becomes. You can shut down sneaky DDs while simultaneously enabling your own DDs to move around unmolested, as well as enable smoke screen stealth fires by spotting for the ship hiding in smoke.

But CVs can do all this spotting and also do damage with their strike loadouts. To truly "get good" at CVs, you need to eventually figure out how to make the Strike configs work, and make them work well. Early US CVs have horrendous strike loadouts and should either go with their stock or AS loadouts, but at T8 you definitely need to consider strike. Japanese CVs can always put in some serious work with their strike loadouts.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Chucullinn posted:

Hm, the Khab on my team ended up on the bottom of the list with 152 xp and he didn't detonate. How loving bad do you have to be to do so poorly in that ship?

Oh, that bad.

Hazdoc posted:

Air supremacy CVs can work... but they're a support role primarily. You're giving up your ability to deal damage to have greater vision control than the enemy, while offering the enemy a chance to deal damage to your ships (when instead you could pick another ship and potentially not have a CV at all).

In randoms, its hit or miss. You will rarely ever "carry" your team, so its mostly a matter of how well you shut down the enemy CV and if your superior spotting enables your team to edge out victory. If they're potatoes, this will mean literally nothing and you're only shooting yourself in the foot.

In a division, or Team Battles, it becomes much more valuable. The more you can trust in your allies to prevail with superior spotting, the more valuable the air superiority loadout becomes. You can shut down sneaky DDs while simultaneously enabling your own DDs to move around unmolested, as well as enable smoke screen stealth fires by spotting for the ship hiding in smoke.

But CVs can do all this spotting and also do damage with their strike loadouts. To truly "get good" at CVs, you need to eventually figure out how to make the Strike configs work, and make them work well. Early US CVs have horrendous strike loadouts and should either go with their stock or AS loadouts, but at T8 you definitely need to consider strike. Japanese CVs can always put in some serious work with their strike loadouts.

Definitely no earlier than the Lexington. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the strike Rangers I've seen have done extremely poorly. They get torn up by fighters and can't seem to do enough damage before they run out of planes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pacra posted:

https://na.warships.today/player/1001776930/wolferbill2

This guy has played 13,818 games, and it doesn't seem like he's a bot.

That's about 39.4% of hours in this past year since release - likely almost half his waking hours - solely playing boats.

I refuse to believe someone can play that much and still be that bad. On the assumption of ~15 minutes on average for a game, that's 10.5 hours just yesterday - and that's purely in time in matches, not even counting any time spent in port, in queues, or waiting for a match to start. I have trouble believing there's anyone who could keep that kind of schedule every single day. At best, instead of a bot it might be a shared account used for something.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I hate that you had to use a carrier for one of those stupid achievements. Somehow I got the 5000 free exp one without doing them all - still have to do the no team damage for 10 games one

wow that guy has played more Tier 8 games than I have total. He should get an assload of those anniversary signals or whatever.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

After playing high tier matches for a couple days, all I have to say is I don't like playing insta gib in a 65k ton battle ship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Got my first tier 8 today, a North Carolina. First shot I fired from it was a 10k citadel to a Des Moines :smug:

Also I guess I was the only one excited about the Leander, and not already aware of the Royal Navy cruiser smoke generator party trick.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I definitely got it for sniping a Kongo that we lost spotting on before the shells hit.

You can also see in those Leander screenshots I got 8 bomb hits, but I didn't get Run Admiral, Run, so that one's not right on the forums

I got run admiral run on my midway when i landed 5 torps from a torp bomber wing on an iowa.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

King of the party I was in the slot on two brothers in my atlanta. I torped a destroyer 2 seconds before he could drop his torps. Then I died to a dunkerque that my torps didnt arm against.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Amusingly, for those who haven't noticed yet (or watched ichase's videos), despite the British cruisers not yet being available you CAN look at their armor schemes with the armor viewer. Here are the tier 8, 9, and 10.

T8: Edinburgh

T9: Neptune

T10: Minotaur

That's, uh, a mighty large and visible citadel you've got there, Neptune and Minotaur. In blunt terms, you have right around the same amount of armor as Pensacola while somehow having a more visible citadel as well. Don't show even the hint of your side to anything, ever, at those tiers, unless you like randomly exploding.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Prinz Eugen is up for sale on NA server:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/prinz-eugen-bundles/

Even they are struggling though at selling it:

quote:

Why Not to Buy

You don't need another Hipper -- get Atago
You want more armor -- get Tirpitz
You want high-adrenaline gameplay -- get Sims

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Finished all the challenges, super easy. Seems like I need to get my montana and then play udaloi all weekend.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

Amusingly, for those who haven't noticed yet (or watched ichase's videos), despite the British cruisers not yet being available you CAN look at their armor schemes with the armor viewer. Here are the tier 8, 9, and 10.

T8: Edinburgh

T9: Neptune

T10: Minotaur

That's, uh, a mighty large and visible citadel you've got there, Neptune and Minotaur. In blunt terms, you have right around the same amount of armor as Pensacola while somehow having a more visible citadel as well. Don't show even the hint of your side to anything, ever, at those tiers, unless you like randomly exploding.

I'm hoping that they stop, go, and turn at least as fast as the Pensacola does then, if they move like the Russian cruisers they'll be a nightmare to try and sail.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is the EU server down? I can't log on?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I saw the Minotaur last night. It seemed pretty small, had a US destroyer rate of fire and reasonable range, was able to pop and hide in its own smoke, and didn't turn too poorly. It also got citadeled while in the smoke and died.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The AA on the minotaur looks so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I thought the North Carolina was supposed to be a preferred sniper? The shell speed on this thing is so slow a stationary Warspite had time to reverse out of the path of a salvo.

e: Followed it up by pointing 6 barrels at an Atago 3km away and scoring 2k damage, gently caress that, I'm going to play something else

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 9, 2016