Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Something Offal posted:

Fine maybe I'm wrong if that's the consensus choice. I'll not do self posts anymore. I just don't understand how bland and distant our reaction to True BWM Stories will have to be to avoid ever mentioning our own situations and how they might relate.

:frogout:

Edit

Moneyball posted:

If the admins would just let me permban everyone who posts here like I keep asking, that would make things a lot easier.

:getin:

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
After reading the OP more it seems I was wrong about how boring self posts could get, and Moneyball wasn't really in the wrong. Sorry, back to the regular stories! I cede to what the majority wants like the OP said.

I think reposting this image will help take the edge off. I can't find any juicy story stuff in my usual places tonight.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 17, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You ain't gotta do a big thing man, just dip out for like 25, 30 minutes when the thread is annoyed at ya. It moves fast and people forget

Buddy just spent $4,600 on surgery for a kitten. Sad but BWM. Did it because his kids were sad but I think they'd have fonder memories of a week in Disneyland

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

some of my relatives spent $5,000 on some sort of blood transfusion for an old dog that was on his last legs already. i think he lasted a few more months. who knows how much was spent aside from the transfusion...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You ain't gotta do a big thing man, just dip out for like 25, 30 minutes when the thread is annoyed at ya. It moves fast and people forget

Buddy just spent $4,600 on surgery for a kitten. Sad but BWM. Did it because his kids were sad but I think they'd have fonder memories of a week in Disneyland

Kids will be happier with a new kitten and forget that old dead one real quick

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

George H.W. oval office posted:

Kids will be happier with a new kitten and forget that old dead one real quick

"didn't Mittens used to have a stripe on her left side?!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My cat is worth $4500 with 3 surgeries in 10 years. Animals are bad with money. But he is cute.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
One of my wife's best greetings married a total idiot several years ago. He was in the navy doing god knows what, but always claimed to be super secret black ops so probably actually like cleaning out bilges and stuff. He was horrible with money for their entire marriage.

Dude drove a gigantic lifted truck that he had bought at the buy here pay here. It had a bench seat, and he bought it after they had a baby, so of course they had to go everywhere in his wife's run down junker Ford Tempo. Except riding in that thing was not masculine enough for him so he had to drive separately every time they went somewhere with their son.

One time while backing his giant truck away from the trailer that they rented, he ran over the family dog and killed it. He felt horrible and also embarrassed, so that weekend he went pr and bought two new dogs on credit. He had to have a breeding pair, you see.

At some point he took all of their savings and "bought" a house from a craigslist scammer. All their savings was like 3000 bucks, and knowing them it was probably just the rent money and his paycheck. They were moving in when they got kicked out by the real owners.

At some point after he separated from the military, he was working construction and his long hours took him away from home from dark to dark. But they were still for some reason hand to mouth all the time. She would bitch about money, and he would always come up with a few hundred dollars. Eventually she discovered that he had been unemployed for months.

She divorced hon and never figured out where he was getting money from. He never pays his child support though, and she prefers it that way because he also doesn't ask to see his kid.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Something Offal posted:

After reading the OP more it seems I was wrong about how boring self posts could get, and Moneyball wasn't really in the wrong. Sorry, back to the regular stories! I cede to what the majority wants like the OP said.

I think reposting this image will help take the edge off. I can't find any juicy story stuff in my usual places tonight.

Just roll that horse mortgage towards a new Pinto

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

therobit posted:

At some point he took all of their savings and "bought" a house from a craigslist scammer. All their savings was like 3000 bucks, and knowing them it was probably just the rent money and his paycheck. They were moving in when they got kicked out by the real owners.

how does this happen??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

how does this happen??

Rent the place legitimately or break in and change the locks, then put the house on Craigslist, take a down payment, say you'll get back to the victim with closing information later, but it's okay to move in today.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1041418590090682368 Guy has been giving his unemployed friend a free apartment and $25k annual income for going on five years.

(Side note: I really hate it when people come in the thread and ask poo poo like cheap lunch ideas and the thread becomes about that, so please don’t stop cutting that poo poo down.)

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 17, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Propaniac posted:

Guy has been giving his unemployed friend a free apartment and $25k annual income for going on five years.

(Side note: I really hate it when people come in the thread and ask poo poo like cheap lunch ideas and the thread becomes about that, so please don’t stop cutting that poo poo down.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/9g7gf3/me_37_m_with_my_wife_25_f_2_years_wife_is_upset_i/

That username seems about right for this guy

quote:

I never kept this secret from my wife. I simply did not tell her.
[...]
I am successful doctor and business owner. I do not struggle in terms of financial decision making.
[...]
It did not really occur to me to tell my wife. I handle the finances in the marriage. The quantity I lend has no material effect on our finances in the short or long term.
[...]
You're right, going forward I should probably consider sharing more financial info.

He'll maybe think about it next time. Also big surprise that he married someone so much younger than him and now she's starting to become an adult and figure out he's an rear end in a top hat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

how does this happen??

He was really dumb and thought he could buy a house with no paperwork I guess. The other possibility is that he intended to squat and spent the money somewhere else, and just lied to his wife I guess. Which, now that I think of it, is equally likely.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 17, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

therobit posted:

He was really dumb and thought he could buy a house with no paperwork I guess. The other possibility is that he intended to squat and spent the money somewhere else, and just looked to his wife I guess. Which, now that I think of it, is equally likely.

The best CL scams start with finding someone dumber who thinks they are scamming you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Lockback posted:

someone dumber who thinks they are scamming you.

That totally fits this moron.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Lockback posted:

The best CL scams start with finding someone dumber who thinks they are scamming you.

Yep, a popular one in the past was selling some iPhones or something and taking ridiculously low offers (like $100 per) but then the seller just takes your money (or even just straight up robs you when you show up).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean some guy in AIBFC was going to participate in a title jumping scheme because he like, felt bad, that he told this guy he would buy a truck when the guy told him that it had a clean title

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Content:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Is that the dumb-dumb that was on a TV spot saying she hated children's names that were places, but then had a kid named India or something like that?

Edit: yup, it is.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

DJCobol posted:

Is that the dumb-dumb that was on a TV spot saying she hated children's names that were places, but then had a kid named India or something like that?

Edit: yup, it is.

Blatant hypocrisy has been a proud British tradition since time immemorial. :britain:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Blatant hypocrisy has been a proud British tradition since time immemorial. :britain:

Also, taking ownership of India

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

:drat:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

canyoneer posted:

lmao

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

:master:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Woof, had to sell her "£1,000,000 home" to cover £24,000 in legal fees and damages.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_GSlBtDaY4&t=303s

these are still p good

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I really like The Mirror's retraction on a Katie Hopkins story about her being detained in an airport in South Africa.

quote:

A previous version of this article suggested that Katie Hopkins was stopped from leaving South Africa because of the consumption of Ketamine.

We are happy to clarify that Ms Hopkins was detained for spreading racial hatred, which took place after the Ketamine incident

Not for drugs, actually for racism :eng101:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Someone having to finance lice treatment on their $15,000 a year income is more depressing than amusing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is this the woman whose family is paying for her rent and food and expensive gym membership but she's totally making it on her own in the big city you guys, or is this someone else?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
No, somebody else. She's got a really detailed budget. She "doesn't consider herself frugal". She makes 15k/yr and lives in NYC. She's hella frugal.

scrammysaur
Dec 27, 2013

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)
A family friend of mine married a man she met on Christian Mingle ~8 years ago. She quit her job at a daycare to have babies while he worked in the military. I never met the guy but all I ever heard was that he was a "fine Christian man" that the family was proud of for converting from Catholicism to Protestantism :shrug:

A week after having her fourth child she was coming home from something with her mother, who was in town to help with the baby, and a neighbor came over and told them that her husband had been cheating on her for a while and was about to leave her for another woman. Apparently he had also been abusive with the kids, but I'm guessing no overtly so to the point where the wife would have been suspicious enough to take action. He must have been away with work because the wife, her mom, and the four kids piled in the car and drove across the country to the mom's house. She was served with divorce papers a few days later.

The military ends up investigating the guy and declares him to be an emerging sexual predator, but they don't kick him out of the military because its easier to keep an eye on him while he's in it. The guy has been prostituting himself out to men and women and orgies. There's nude pictures of him online. The kids are in therapy, but also are being forced to do weekly Skype sessions with him (most of the time the guy doesn't show).

For the bad with money portion of this story, the wife never had access to any of the finances. He withheld any information about money despite her starting to ask about it. Turns out he was squandering their money and they're now something like $50k in debt. He was essentially running a poor man's Ponzi scheme by getting a loan, paying for the loan with a credit advance, paying for the credit advance with another loan, etc. Apparently this is how his own father used to handle finances.

His son had always wanted a guitar to be like his dad. When the second oldest, a daughter, turned 5 the guy bought and shipped her a kids guitar. The daughter has never shown any interest in a guitar and he refused to buy one for his son, saying he couldn't afford it. Based on Facebook stalking I'd bet he was creepiest with that daughter and that this was also a giant gently caress you to his 6 year old son.

I'd argue having 4 kids when you can't pay your bills is bad with money. She always wanted a million children, but its also possible he forced her to keep getting pregnant. Now the wife is going back to school to get a Phd while her elderly mother is caring for her four kids, all under 7. The mother also has a daughter with Downs (this girl's sister) who will always have to be under the care of people. The wife is also having to do an unpaid internship with a 4 hour per day commute to get some sort of credit hours for her Phd. I'm not sure how the finances of his Phd are working out, but I can't imagine this was the best financial option for anyone.

Fortunately, the man didn't fight for custody of the kids and didn't fight the allegations that he was squandering money so the wife, now ex-wife, isn't responsible for half of it. He got remarried within months of my family friend leaving, to a different woman than the one he was with when the family friend left. Do never marry a sociopath.

scrammysaur fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 18, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
More BWM content. Less depressing holy poo poo content!

https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/9goy98/so_i_learned_a_hard_lesson_yesterday

quote:

The credit bug got me hard. I've read that it's important to have multiple cards (6+) so I stupidly applied for like...7...at once...yeah....

HUGE Setback. Only 3 have hit my Experian so far and my score has already dropped 85 points.

I was approved for 4 of them, if that matters. Two for $500, one for $300, and one for $1,500.

How screwed am I? Will the approvals counter balance the inquiries at all?

What's

That sub is usually just depressing but I got a chuckle out of this one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/9goy98/so_i_learned_a_hard_lesson_yesterday

Yeah, his score is going to be affected for 2 years, possibly longer if his creditors take notice and start lowering his credit limits. They many inquiries and new revolving accounts at once combined with high utilization is a huge redd flag for unrein for the next 2 years also, aside from the score. He screwed himself.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Jeez you guys, spending 3,500 on rent in Tokyo is completely optional and 60k is not too far off the average household income. A housing budget of 1,500 will give you lots of nice options if you can handle being non-central and commute a little bit. The real question is whether uprooting the family is a good idea; but this is Tokyo, there are tens of thousands of expat families. It's not exactly uncharted territory.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

scrammysaur posted:

The military ends up investigating the guy and declares him to be an emerging sexual predator, but they don't kick him out of the military because its easier to keep an eye on him while he's in it. The guy has been prostituting himself out to men and women and orgies. There's nude pictures of him online.

drat it, if the military knows he's been unfaithful and know he's super ducked up, they could/should court martial him for adultery.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 18, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lowness 72 posted:

Where in the world did that guy read that it was important to have 6+ credit cards?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

Where in the world did that guy read that it was important to have 6+ credit cards?

I know nerdwallet shows "categories" of accounts and 0-5 is "Poor" and 6-10 is "Average" so maybe from something like that, which says more accounts is better?

E: comes from treating your credit score like a video gsme

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Power of Pecota posted:

Most of the free credit monitoring services (which make a lot of their money from commissions on credit card and loan signups) will tell you that you desperately need lots of open cards to have a good credit score.

Credit karma, for instance, won't give you a "very good" ranking for number of open accounts until you have something like 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Power of Pecota posted:

Tools like Mint/Credit Karma like to suggest opening new account under the somewhat flimsy logic that most of their users with very high credit also usually have many accounts. They then helpfully suggest a bunch of credit cards which they have affiliate links for. Here's a screenshot from Credit Karma suggesting that 21+ total accounts is best, while less than 6 is bad.

fake edit; beaten