Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The term you're thinking of is "redheaded stepchild".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FCKGW posted:

Also I feel that was a question that could have taken 6 seconds of your time on Google to find out.
So youre saying it was a small, stupid question?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I'm a Windows user and have come into acquisition of a 1TB drive preformatted as mac journaled. Is it possible / trivial to install a bootable copy of OSX onto it?

Travakian fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travakian posted:

I'm a Windows user and have come into acquisition of a 1TB drive preformatted as mac journaled. Is it possible / trivial to install a bootable copy of OSX onto it?

If you mean one that will let you boot into OS X on a PC that's very slim indeed. It's possible but holy hell it would take days of effort to get it to work if you can even get it to work with your hardware at all. Especially if it's an external drive.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Travakian posted:

If you just need data off the drive you may be able to use a linux LiveCD to boot then mount both your windows drive and the mac drive. If you want a hackintosh....

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cage posted:

So youre saying it was a small, stupid question?

More of a tiny, terrible question.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Well, to Call Now's defense, I was delivered a package on a Sunday that the USPS had failed to get to me on two different delivery dates before Christmas, so apparently things that are not special Express Delivery mail pieces can be delivered on Sundays in extenuating circumstances and have historically (I Googled this in complete awe that day).

So if this has to do with a personal argument, yes, always on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays before a holiday as stressful on them as Christmas.

EDIT:
Also--for the stepchild thing, I think I'd refer to that child as [other child]'s half-sibling if I could. the, you keeping an eye on me or what?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there a way to make itunes change your setlists from "1.1 hours" to "63:47" or whatever? Used to be you just clicked the number and it changed but not anymore.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does this sound right:

quote:

"The greatest problems of our time will never be neatly demarcated along national borders, nor will their solutions."

I'm concerned that the part after the comma isn't grammatically sound.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It's not, but... more than that, it's actually confusing due to the placement of that fragment.

The fragment is referring to "the greatest problems of our times" with "their," but due to the placement the "their" seems to refer to "national borders" at first glance.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, you DO have a Homestuck avatar, so...

She said it was 10x more disgusting. No idea what she meant, but I eat a lot of fruit, so I'm assuming warm chalky sour. Like a bogie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vegetable posted:

Does this sound right

Sounds OK to me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Does this sound right:

change it to "nor will the solutions"

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

greazeball posted:

change it to "nor will the solutions"

This, or it's fine already.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vegetable posted:

Does this sound right:
"The greatest problems of our time will never be neatly demarcated along national borders, nor will their solutions."

Um... I don't see any issues at all. It's pretty basic ellipsis. The comma should be there because it's joining two complete (see: ellipsis) sentences with a coordinating conjunction (nor). I also do not find "their solutions" confusing, and it's much clearer and flows better than "the solutions."

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Maybe change "nor" to "neither"? But that's just a personal preference of mine to always use nor in a "neither, nor" structure because that's how it was taught to me for years. edit: i mean the way you've used it is fine but I'll be damned if my early teachers didn't hammer into me how nor ALWAYS FOLLOWS A NEITHER PHRASE (even tho that's not true) :(

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe change "nor" to "neither"? But that's just a personal preference of mine to always use nor in a "neither, nor" structure because that's how it was taught to me for years. edit: i mean the way you've used it is fine but I'll be damned if my early teachers didn't hammer into me how nor ALWAYS FOLLOWS A NEITHER PHRASE (even tho that's not true) :(

No, neither is not a conjunction. You could do "..., and neither" but that's exactly the same as "nor."

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
Hey guys, I received a fairly awesome longboard from my fairly awesome parents for Hanukkah this year, since I got a new job all the way across Boston and I need some kind of transportation. I'm currently in the process of learning how to ride the thing, and I know nothing about boards.

My question is: on Thursday I'm flying from my home back to Boston and I don't know how to store the board. It won't fit in any of my checked baggage, so should I take it as carry-on? Or store it as a separate check in? If I do do carry on, what's the best way to handle it? Thanks, everyone!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you do carry-on, just ask the counter if there's a coat check area to stow it at the front of the plane. Travellers with skis are common, so if they tell you to check it, there's tons of precedent for it.

Basically take it through security with you, and ask at the gate counter, and they'll work with you from there.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
I don't know if this is a question better suited to another thread, but I figured I'd start here.

I am a 10-month employee at a Pennsylvania school, and have elected to have my salary paid out over 12 months. I have been offered another (higher-paying) position within the school. Currently, I'm trying to figure out what (assuming I take this other job) will happen to the portion of my salary that is being (effectively) taken from my check each month to continue paying me over the summer. I don't think it's listed specifically as a deduction on my pay stub or anything, my salary is just divided over 12 months instead of 10.

Can somebody shed some light on how kind of thing is typically handled? I know the most correct answer is "ask HR" but nobody's in the office until the 3rd.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ann disaster posted:

I don't know if this is a question better suited to another thread, but I figured I'd start here.

I am a 10-month employee at a Pennsylvania school, and have elected to have my salary paid out over 12 months. I have been offered another (higher-paying) position within the school. Currently, I'm trying to figure out what (assuming I take this other job) will happen to the portion of my salary that is being (effectively) taken from my check each month to continue paying me over the summer. I don't think it's listed specifically as a deduction on my pay stub or anything, my salary is just divided over 12 months instead of 10.

Can somebody shed some light on how kind of thing is typically handled? I know the most correct answer is "ask HR" but nobody's in the office until the 3rd.

If no one's in the office until the 3rd, then presumably you can't accept the position until then or later anyway. Wait, and ask HR.

Culture Cipher
Sep 24, 2012

That was some nice-ass denim too. I miss them shorts... But you... You GOTTA take 'em off every now and then. You gotta take 'em off, son!
Why isn't the movie Horrible Bosses available in the US iTunes Store when it's available in every other store?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is it possible, given the standard assortment of tiles in a Scrabble board, for them to be arranged in a 10x10 square of all valid words?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

User-Friendly posted:

Is it possible, given the standard assortment of tiles in a Scrabble board, for them to be arranged in a 10x10 square of all valid words?

Wikipedia says no.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Um... I don't see any issues at all. It's pretty basic ellipsis. The comma should be there because it's joining two complete (see: ellipsis) sentences with a coordinating conjunction (nor). I also do not find "their solutions" confusing, and it's much clearer and flows better than "the solutions."

"The elided VP must be a non-finite VP; it cannot be a finite VP."
"The ellipsis must be introduced by an auxiliary verb."

In the VP "The problems will never be demarcated," you could regard both "be demarcated" and "demarcated" as the non-finite verb phrase to be elided, right?
If that's the case, then couldn't the ellipsis clause be either:
"nor will the solutions."
or
"nor will the solutions be." ?

The second one is what I thought of first.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Culture Cipher posted:

Why isn't the movie Horrible Bosses available in the US iTunes Store when it's available in every other store?

I imagine it's some stupid legal battle that leaves us in the dark.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Where do people buy those single razor blades that have one safe edge? The sort people in films use for making lines of coke, but the sort that normal people use for scraping stuff off things. I've only ever found double edged ones. I'm in the UK if that matters.

I didn't post in the shaving thread because I figure these are not desirable for shaving.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

Anjow posted:

Where do people buy those single razor blades that have one safe edge? The sort people in films use for making lines of coke, but the sort that normal people use for scraping stuff off things. I've only ever found double edged ones. I'm in the UK if that matters.

I didn't post in the shaving thread because I figure these are not desirable for shaving.

Maybe in a tool store? I used to buy ones to use with a windowcleaning tool that scraped of tried paint etc, and it used razor blades with one safe edge. I'm not from the UK but i think it's used everywere.

razorblade on top of tool

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anjow posted:

They can be got in Hardware stores such as screwfix etc, possible in decorating accessories. I bought a pack of 250 years ago & can't remember who from though.

Edit: searching eBay for "single edge razor blade" gets you 100 for £7~

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 31, 2012

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Anjow posted:

It's called a single edged safety razor, enjoy your coke.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Safety-Razor-Blade-Dispenser/dp/B000KKOPKQ/ref=pd_sim_diy_4

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
What does 'Satis bona' mean?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kimbo305 posted:

"The elided VP must be a non-finite VP; it cannot be a finite VP."
"The ellipsis must be introduced by an auxiliary verb."

In the VP "The problems will never be demarcated," you could regard both "be demarcated" and "demarcated" as the non-finite verb phrase to be elided, right?
If that's the case, then couldn't the ellipsis clause be either:
"nor will the solutions."
or
"nor will the solutions be." ?

The second one is what I thought of first.

"Be demarcated" and "demarcated" do not mean the same thing. the former is a passive and the latter an active. Neither is a finite phrase in this case. "Will be demarcated" is really the full finite verb phrase, so the "will" is retained in the second half, and the elided portion is just the incomplete "be demarcated."

Satis bona ought to mean "good enough."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything that will allow me to scan in or download CD liner notes and keep them organized? I'm kind of a nerd for them and just rescued all of mine from my parent's attic, and would like to have them all in digital format.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It's been on the news here in Tulsa, OK since 5pm yesterday about the bomb-squad coming out to check 2 "devices" found at 2 intersections a mile from each other, was reported to them on 911 by someone who saw it.

Later they said the person who called it in called it a grenade. Then later several of the news sites say it is "commercial fireworks" meant to look like a grenade.

They actually blew one of these up in their bomb-can thing.

Does "commercial" imply professional fireworks? Why would they be disguised as a grenade? How could it be so good as to fool a bomb squad?

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/suspicious-device-found-near-south-tulsa-intersection

edit: I searched on GIS for "grenade firework" to see what I could see and I'm getting hundreds of results of someones anime drawings. Only actual fireworks are the tiny plastic grenades that look like what I know: http://sparklers.incyberspace.com/smoke-fireworks/2308.htm

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 31, 2012

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Wagonburner posted:

Later they said the person who called it in called it a grenade. Then later several of the news sites say it is "commercial fireworks" meant to look like a grenade.

They actually blew one of these up in their bomb-can thing.

Does "commercial" imply professional fireworks? Why would they be disguised as a grenade? How could it be so good as to fool a bomb squad?

It doesn't need to 'fool' them. If someone leaves a commercial firework around somewhere, it could very well be rigged to explode and they will treat it as if it is. Bomb squads always err on the side of caution.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Gobbeldygook posted:

It doesn't need to 'fool' them. If someone leaves a commercial firework around somewhere, it could very well be rigged to explode and they will treat it as if it is. Bomb squads always err on the side of caution.

Ahh ok I didn't really consider that angle. Probably good I don't work in public safety.
"Oh it's just a fake, wings and brews time brahs!"

Still though why would a commercial firework look like a grenade enough to fool the person who called it in? Consumer fireworks that look like grenades like I linked to would scare/fool no one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 31, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Without even mousing over the link, I knew what it aas going to be about.

Oh, this post-9/11 world in which we live in. :ohdear:

(Or are we already at the point where it's post-post-9/11?)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Wagonburner posted:

"Commercial" simply means "not homemade" in this case. Professional-grade fireworks rarely look like much of anything beyond "a tube," so I'm betting it was something like what you linked. It didn't fool anyone necessarily, but the bomb squad always errs on the side of caution. Once they're out there on the scene, and able to give their professional opinion about the thing, the taxpayer money is already wasted, so they might as well spend the extra few minutes to make absolutely, god-damned certain that no one is going to get hurt here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to buy those gel covers that come with the branded Wii controllers separately? I got a couple 3rd-party controllers and would like to not have sharp edges digging into my hands while I'm using the controller sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

Is it possible to buy those gel covers that come with the branded Wii controllers separately? I got a couple 3rd-party controllers and would like to not have sharp edges digging into my hands while I'm using the controller sideways.

These? http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Wii-Remote-Gel-Skins-Nintendo/dp/B000SQ5LLY

Or these? http://www.ecrater.com/p/13941852/nintendo-wii-remote-wiimote-clear?gps=1