Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want to believe that the building was built that way intentionally, like those off-kilter art installations, and someone added the laughably-inadequate props as a joke.

Are you suggesting that they’re just.. props?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Apparently from an earthquake in Taiwan earlier this year; where they were trying to stabilize buildings long enough to get people out from inside; half a dozen of them ended up tilting off like that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Makes sense, it reminded me of other cases of liquefaction-affected buildings in Japan, and Taiwan has deep soils vulnerable to liquefaction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

Are you suggesting that they’re just.. props?
Boo

Boooooo

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Apparently from an earthquake in Taiwan earlier this year; where they were trying to stabilize buildings long enough to get people out from inside; half a dozen of them ended up tilting off like that.

quote:

The quake left the 12-storey building leaning to one side, its lower floors pancaked.

The national fire agency said 143 residents from the building remained missing.

oh

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Well poo poo, I used to live within walking distance of this place. Sounds like a contractor gutting the other side of the twin hosed up, big time. Here's hoping he had some good insurance.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/05/22/building-partially-collapses-in-west-mount-airy/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I need some help on explaining this one. A revolving, sliding door?
https://i.imgur.com/fM56Ex0.gifv

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I guess it’s supposed to be dual purpose, with either the slide locked closed and rotating, or rotation locked and slide unlocked?

Not like this. Not like this.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Maybe it's a way to allow wheelchair access through the door?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've only seen them at airports.

They prevent air from inside the building from escaping rapidly, saving on heating/cooling costs...as the entrance is always closed - at either the outer or inner opening.

I could see this devolving into a treadmill discussion, since the energy costs to operate it, coupled with the inherent leakage despite the clever design, doesn't seem to result in much in the way of savings...then again, traffic volume through it is likely the deciding factor, since the alternative would be to just leave the barn door open all the time, as sliding-style doors may require more maintenance/jam more frequently.

(edit) although looking at that set-up again, it ain't working properly; looks more like a man-trap...or it's filmed at off-peak, when the sliders are employed

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 2, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess it’s supposed to be dual purpose, with either the slide locked closed and rotating, or rotation locked and slide unlocked?

Not like this. Not like this.

Rotation during offpeak times, slide open during busy times and fire alarms?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Less crappy construction, more sad construction.

http://www.kmov.com/story/38304646/ceiling-collapses-at-150-year-old-church-in-st-charles

Looks like whatever connects the plaster and lathe to the rest of the roof failed. But drat, it's a helluva failure. I'm guessing water damage weakened the connection somehow, but I'm taking a shot in the dark.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

I need some help on explaining this one. A revolving, sliding door?
https://i.imgur.com/fM56Ex0.gifv

There is something awesomely cyberpunk about how this looks.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The newish Ikea near me has a huge, continuously moving revolving door and it seems to work fine. In this picture it's got compartments full of merchandise along for the ride. I think the problem in the gif is that when the emergency doors are open the rotation should stop after the sliding doors are centered.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
They're definitely for wheelchairs and gurneys. Example. And no, it should be one or the other, not both.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
A grocery store where I used to live had one of these big enough to push a cart through. I think the center part was always closed, with maybe a "push to open in case of emergency" bar. It was also flanked by regular doors on either side, not sure if that was code or what.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Brute Squad posted:

Less crappy construction, more sad construction.

http://www.kmov.com/story/38304646/ceiling-collapses-at-150-year-old-church-in-st-charles

Looks like whatever connects the plaster and lathe to the rest of the roof failed. But drat, it's a helluva failure. I'm guessing water damage weakened the connection somehow, but I'm taking a shot in the dark.

I have seen this (albeit on a far smaller scale) in Older homes in Philadelphia, particularly rowhomes, many of which were built between 1880-1950 and are finished in plaster on lath. The lath was installed using small, smooth-shanked nails; it was nailed directly to the wall stud / underside of the floor joists. Over time, the framing dries and shrinks...which causes the nail holes to expand...and the nails lose their grip. Eventually, enough nails come loose in a large enough area, and anywhere from a section to the whole enchilada falls.

This situation can be aggravated/accelerated by the various methods employed to cover plaster ceilings, which crack easily as the structure settles: Panelling, popcorn texture, layers of drywall, incorrectly-installed suspended ceiling grids (your wire anchors missed a bunch of framing, yo) - all of which add load to the underlying plaster & lath. When I would get a loss for a ceiling collapse, I would tour the rest of the house with the owner & point out (to their dawning horror) all of the other ceilings that were approaching imminent failure: you could see the bulging, wavy surfaces, replete with cracks. In some rooms, the only thing holding up the ceiling might be a ceiling fan, or old swag/hanging plant cup hook.

After many years of believing that most homeowners were incredibly inattentive or blind, I came to realize that they don't notice issues, because they tend to happen gradually. It is human nature to mentally shorthand the familiar - try proof-reading your own writing - you live in a place long enough, your mind's eye develops an image of each room, hall, etc. and you don't really see it after that, unless there is some substantial change.

I have no doubt that the ceiling in this church had developed a number of odd cracks and bulges that went unnoticed for years. The extreme height of such spaces makes it even more difficult to notice an issue, although I would not be surpised that plaster repairs, or re-covering with drywall, had taken place within the past few years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

guaranteed posted:

A grocery store where I used to live had one of these big enough to push a cart through. I think the center part was always closed, with maybe a "push to open in case of emergency" bar. It was also flanked by regular doors on either side, not sure if that was code or what.

Revolving doors are not a fire exit on their own. NFPA FACT! in an emergency, people tend to head to the door they came in from as the exit. They’re just panicking and unaware of where the other exits are. Revolving doors are good entrance features.

Many people have died as a result.

Modern buildings with revolving doors are flanked with regular doors to act as an exit, this design compacts that configuration into one opening.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

awesome
cyberpunk

Pick one.

"ver yeffective"

These things look like they're desperately trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Modern engineering at its finest.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 3, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Those giant revolving doors are usually at places like hospitals, museums, or mall entrances where you get a lot of people that don't fit in regular revolvers (wheelchairs, strollers, groups of kids). At least that's where I've seen them. I don't know they're any better than just having some normal doors in any way though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

Those giant revolving doors are usually at places like hospitals, museums, or mall entrances where you get a lot of people that don't fit in regular revolvers (wheelchairs, strollers, groups of kids). At least that's where I've seen them. I don't know they're any better than just having some normal doors in any way though.

When it gets cold and very windy, they work very well.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

One of the two big hypermarket chains here use those kind of revolving doors at basically every store. Never seen 'em elsewhere, but they do work pretty well and means they don't need a separate foyer to keep the cold air out. They usually have seasonal decorations or other merchandise in the compartments.

Although people rushing or lagging behind the cycle is always fun since the thing will come to a dead stop if anyone is even remotely too close to the moving bits. Luckily they're smart enough to restart the cycle a second or so after any obstruction's been cleared, because it's not exactly an uncommon occurrence.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

As promised, pictures from my little sister's house. There's a lot, so I'll space it out.

First off, the station wagon box. From the outside.

Peep that asbestos siding.

Flashing.

No flashing.

Then to the inside.

No idea what's behind those boards at the top, or what kind of header is there.

Bonus lighting.

Yes, that's drywall over *something*. Hopefully. It's not like they'd just use structural drywall, right? :grovertoot:

Also, crosspost from the "burn your house down" thread

Brute Squad posted:

My little sister closed on a house. I did a walkthrough with her and my dad yesterday and made some Crappy Construction tales-worthy discoveries. Previous owner installed a new ac unit on a 30A circuit running outside. Nice short run, panel is on the other side of the exterior wall from the ac unit. But the line is run through here.

No big deal, maybe it's an external switch or something.

Oh.

Looks like an old fuse wired in-line in an exterior box that isn't really weatherproof anymore. As I recall, the inspector didn't think this was a big deal. I'm not so sure.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 3, 2018

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
That electrical box being no longer water proof isn't great but an extra fuse box right by the unit is pretty normal. It lets the guy doing maintenance verify that the system is not energized and that some idiot isn't going to flip the breaker out of line of sight. I think it's even required by code for residential installations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I've seen HVAC fuses that look more like this, assuming that old thing works it's probably ok but I'm not electrician

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah,there's nothing really wrong with that box. Rusty and ugly maybe, but as long as the connections are still good it should be fine.

But if it bothers you that much it can be replaced in like 20 minutes and a new one is like $7. Personally I prefer to used non-fused disconnects, but to each their own.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah,there's nothing really wrong with that box. Rusty and ugly maybe, but as long as the connections are still good it should be fine.

But if it bothers you that much it can be replaced in like 20 minutes and a new one is like $7. Personally I prefer to used non-fused disconnects, but to each their own.

My AC had a straight-up pull-out disconnect that looked just like the rusty box, but less rusty box. Was replaced by a switch-style breaker when the outside unit was replaced a few years back (seized compressor). Either works, and they don't really have to be weather sealed, apparently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Restoring a builtin china hutch

Uhh...

You know that header wasn't optional, right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’m going with yeah it probably was optional. It didn’t span over to a column to begin with and was essentially floating on the shear strength of a few nails.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I’m going with yeah it probably was optional. It didn’t span over to a column to begin with and was essentially floating on the shear strength of a few nails.

:agreed:, it's not like they cut the joists, just removed them, meaning they were attached to the stud wall and not supported by it, meaning there's no way it was in turn supporting anything of significance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
:doh: you're right, the header didn't span all the way across to any jack/cripple studs. Don't know how I failed to notice that, carry on!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a load bearing hutch now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A crutch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Such Dutch hutch touches much as clutch crutch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The finished pics in that thread don't look too bad, really, although I probably would have gone with matching the wainscoting and not the hutch for the trim.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Where the gently caress is that. I want to make sure it's far away from where I even *think* about driving.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Imagine realizing you have to go back that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

My Lovely Horse posted:

Imagine realizing you have to go back that way.

Sorry family, I have a new life in the other side of this body of water. You can join me once I save enough money to hire a boat.