Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

poo poo. I'm actually considering a Volkswagen and that Jim Ellis location is closest VW dealership to me.

Even after the emissions cheating fiasco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

I mean every other car manufacturer was doing the exact same thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

NancyPants posted:

:lol: if you've ever trusted vw after what stories your grand (great grand?)) father has told you.

(If you have a family like mine also count mitsubishi)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lol yeah cause I def thought VW was a 'good' company at any point :jerkbag:

Is there some super secret reasoning to intentionally buy an expensive car that now has even shittier resale value, may have its performance crippled, and/or will get terrible MPG to comply with emissions standards? And to consider this before the consequences of the cheating are even known?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Lol yeah cause I def thought VW was a 'good' company at any point :jerkbag:

Is there some super secret reasoning to intentionally buy an expensive car that now has even shittier resale value, may have its performance crippled, and/or will get terrible MPG to comply with emissions standards? And to consider this before the consequences of the cheating are even known?

~*~gErMaN eNgInEeRiNg~*~

I get how BMW's and Mercs are luxury cars and how that appeals to some people, but the decision to purchase a modern VW has always mystified me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nitrox posted:

I just want to remind everyone, thinking of buying a VW, that it's a vile company that will cheat, lie, steal and sue it's customers for internet posts. No, seriously. VW NA corporate office had fully backed Jim Ellis in lawsuit against a customer, who posted negative experience on a message board, circa early 2000's. You can guess as to what happened.

Archived thread is here, if you want to watch that bullshit train go off the rails.

quote:

Does Vortex need legal representation? Not yet, becuase JE sued the wrong company! There is a small company in Alpharetta called "Vortex Media" that received this summons. However, this is not the company that runs the Vortex web site! So, in order for JE to sue the "real" Vortex Media, they would have to file in Federal Court, a Cobb County court can make no ruling against a company entirely outside of Georgia

Oh boy

Thanks for this, I needed something fun to read at work today.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

blugu64 posted:

:lol: if you've ever trusted vw after what stories your grand (great grand?)) father has told you.

(If you have a family like mine also count mitsubishi)

I don't have any grandfathers, so you're just gonna have to tell the stories for them :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

ESPECIALLY after the emissions fiasco. prices are lower

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

ESPECIALLY after the emissions fiasco. prices are lower
The cars and corporate did not suddenly get better.

I mean, of you're looking for the cheapest, then there is Chrysler and Mitsubishi. While paying less may be better with money, how much is the extra headache worth?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

~*~gErMaN eNgInEeRiNg~*~

I get how BMW's and Mercs are luxury cars and how that appeals to some people, but the decision to purchase a modern VW has always mystified me.

They sell cars that are virtually interchangeable on size, options, and price with Honda Accord, Civics Fits and Toyota Camry, Corolla, and Yaris, so I guess it's probably the same reasons as those just a matter of whichever car you happen to like a tiny bit more??

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
From someone stuck in the middle of this dieselgate bullshit, don't buy a vw.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

The cars and corporate did not suddenly get better.

I mean, of you're looking for the cheapest, then there is Chrysler and Mitsubishi. While paying less may be better with money, how much is the extra headache worth?

My first car was a VW SuperBeetle, so the brand has a soft spot in my heart/head. The fact the most convenient dealership to me is the one that sued a customer for Internet postings probably hurts more than cheating emissions though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
As a gti owner all I can say is its great and probably still the best hot hatch around.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

at least if the car buyback program ends up happening, buying a VW was GWM

C'mon, I wanna sell this golf

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

They sell cars that are virtually interchangeable on size, options, and price with Honda Accord, Civics Fits and Toyota Camry, Corolla, and Yaris, so I guess it's probably the same reasons as those just a matter of whichever car you happen to like a tiny bit more??

A golf is 20k and a Honda fit is 16k.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

At this point, I really don't understand why anyone would buy a VW. One of my buddies recently bought a new (financed) Tiguan, because "The whole scandal means I'm getting a good deal on it!"

And he bought it because he's having his first kid, and insists that "We just need a bigger car for the baby, you know?" Nothing like loading up your newborn baby into a car that's manufactured by a scandal-plagued company. :downs:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I got a Corolla because the half hour bits of fun don't make up for the hours and dollars I'd spend sitting in a mechanic / dealer lobby sipping bad coffee or with a rental car. Aside from some premature wearing of belts and the numerous assholes that scraped my car and ran from parking lots I'm pretty happy with how things are at 120k miles on the odometer. If I want to drive a super car for fun / status BS, I can just pay for a membership and pay maybe $20k / yr for access to all sorts of crazy poo poo and it'd be both more enjoyable and cheaper than actually owning one and dealing with depreciation.

On the other hand, I get the impression BWM : Personal Edition actions are exactly what being actually wealthy is supposed to mean half the time.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

melon cat posted:

At this point, I really don't understand why anyone would buy a VW. One of my buddies recently bought a new (financed) Tiguan, because "The whole scandal means I'm getting a good deal on it!"

And he bought it because he's having his first kid, and insists that "We just need a bigger car for the baby, you know?" Nothing like loading up your newborn baby into a car that's manufactured by a scandal-plagued company. :downs:

It's amazing what people will let an incoming baby talk them into. I had a coworker lecture me for a good 15 minutes about how I need to buy a bigger house now before we add a baby in December.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

defectivemonkey posted:

It's amazing what people will let an incoming baby talk them into. I had a coworker lecture me for a good 15 minutes about how I need to buy a bigger house now before we add a baby in December.

Living in an expensive area and working with low income families has really taught me the truth about how many kids one can fit in a space. Thank god for the nice climate in the Bay Area - just send all the kids outside most of the day and you can fit 4 in a closet sized bunk room.

I was very proud of a friend of mine for resisting family pressure to move when she had her baby in March. They have killer rent on a nice one bedroom and now a corner of the living room has a bassinet and baby swing and they are coping just fine.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The emissions scandal is kinda nice for VW in that everybody forgot about the cars spontaneously combusting.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
From a pregnancy message board:

quote:

Hey everyone.My name is Claudia, and am 30 and going to be a first time mom. After a 2 1/2 year long distance relationship, I finally moved in with my boyfriend. The move itseld, me bying into this (now our) townhouse and getting a new (preowned) car and the fact that I also support a horse and a large dog, all is taking a huge toll on my line of credit. I am working full time at a hospital as a technician and I took an additional job mucking out stalls at a barn for 15$/h, which I do every day I am not at the hospital (doing 12 hour shifts there). I am exhausted and tired and still don't feel that I am making much progress in paying my 10K off. I don't want to give up my horse but I also need to start shopping for baby equipment. There is not a real question involved here, only hoping for a few kind words and maybe others stepping forward in a similar situation.

"I don't have a question, just please tell me how I can be 10K in credit card debt and have a baby and keep paying for my horse tia!"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

defectivemonkey posted:

"I don't have a question, just please tell me how I can be 10K in credit card debt and have a baby and keep paying for my horse tia!"

quote:

I also support a horse and a large dog

Makes it sound like she was in a polyamorous marriage with the horse/dog and is now paying horse alimony.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

defectivemonkey posted:

Without their own home office, your child will be impossibly behind the curve at Pre-K

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GWM: abandoning your dead horse in the woods and never looking back

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

GWM: abandoning your dead horse in the woods and never looking back

To be fair there is no especially practical way to remove an injured or dead horse from a trail. I have to express great appreciation for the effort someone went through to post that sign, though

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They literally use a dump truck with a winch for cows. Think flatbed tow truck with dump truck bed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blugu64 posted:

They literally use a dump truck with a winch for cows. Think flatbed tow truck with dump truck bed.

Not on a trail they don't.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
How many horses would it take to haul off the dead horse? You could quarter it and do it with less horse power!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

How many horses would it take to haul off the dead horse? You could quarter it and do it with less horse power!

Depends, bringing the other horses could cause one of them to have an issue and then you are in a worse place than before, with two dead horses!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

crazypeltast52 posted:

Depends, bringing the other horses could cause one of them to have an issue and then you are in a worse place than before, with two dead horses!

Horse meat is really tasty. Especially raw. I'd chow down on that second, fresh dead horse and consider it a blessing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Just fuckin burn it. Get a fire permit, a can of gas, and have at it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What the gently caress. How is leaving a horse carcass acceptable on a trail? They should at least attempt to bury it, or somehow quicken the decomposition. I hope they stuck a few holes in the beast so it doesn't explode on someone.

defectivemonkey posted:

Long distance relationship straight into living together... ok not bad. Debit to move, ok ok, reasonable you have a fulltime job and you're taking one extra work. :chanpop: Owns 2 horses :chanpop:. Heavenly lord, this is goooooold. I love the words she uses "supporting", like theyre disabled, or you're in a relationship with them.

What have the other moms posted in response?

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2016

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

TLG James posted:

A golf is 20k and a Honda fit is 16k.

I know you weren't the one that made the comparison, but they're not really equivalent cars. Not saying it is worth the additional money, but the Golf is a bigger car with more space.

VW has been getting a lot of hate in this thread, both for reliability and the emissions scandal (among other things), and perhaps rightfully so, but I think it is also important to note that reliability of cars across the board is amazing these days when compared to older vehicles, especially considering how much more complicated they are. On the other hand, there has been a steady stream of news about other automakers also cheating or otherwise cutting corners on emissions, but VW was first.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

What the gently caress. How is leaving a horse carcass acceptable on a trail? They should at least attempt to bury it, or somehow quicken the decomposition. I hope they stuck a few holes in the beast so it doesn't explode on someone.

Long distance relationship straight into living together... ok not bad. Debit to move, ok ok, reasonable you have a fulltime job and you're taking one extra work. :chanpop: Owns 2 horses :chanpop:. Heavenly lord, this is goooooold. I love the words she uses "supporting", like theyre disabled, or you're in a relationship with them.

What have the other moms posted in response?

It's just another dead animal. People just need to avoid riding their mountain bike into the bloated carcass.

Nothing quite like taking on an extra job just to pay for horses. It must make riding them once a month or less so satisfying. :shepface:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Steve French posted:

I know you weren't the one that made the comparison, but they're not really equivalent cars. Not saying it is worth the additional money, but the Golf is a bigger car with more space.

VW has been getting a lot of hate in this thread, both for reliability and the emissions scandal (among other things), and perhaps rightfully so, but I think it is also important to note that reliability of cars across the board is amazing these days when compared to older vehicles, especially considering how much more complicated they are. On the other hand, there has been a steady stream of news about other automakers also cheating or otherwise cutting corners on emissions, but VW was first.

No there hasn't. There's been no evidence that any other company has cheated on emissions. In fact, the original road test that caught VW, which was performed independently by a group of US professors, included a BMW diesel car as part of the test. In total it was 2 VW cars and one BMW. Both VW cars had emissions that were literally off the charts (so unbelievable that the testers thought their equipment was broken), while the BMW emissions were excellent.

VW is poo poo and you're doubly dumb for trying to downplay their criminal cheating.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Zo posted:

No there hasn't. There's been no evidence that any other company has cheated on emissions.

o rly

Mitsubishi admits manipulating emissions data

Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi’s cars are shown to emit significantly more NOx pollution on the road than in regulatory tests

Diesel cars made by Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx in more rigorous tests, research shows

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 30, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Read: emissions.

Anyway Mitsubishi is a similarly poo poo company with three huge scandals in recent memory. I wouldn't defend them either.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
As for your edit, 2-4 times the test standard is not evidence of cheating. Test benchmarks are set more or less arbitrarily and vehicles will always perform worse in road tests.

For reference, VW emissions were 15-40 times higher.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Owning a car is BWM. Take public transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Pureauthor posted:

Owning a car is BWM. Take public transportation.

Despite working peripherally in the auto industry this is what i do. With the occasional rental for vacations etc :)

• Locked thread