Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

my uncle works for sega and he said that the CAW system in the AEW game will be like old ps1 monster hunter and you have to put in music CDs to get more wrestlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Honestly that sounds cool.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

my uncle works for sega and he said that the CAW system in the AEW game will be like old ps1 monster hunter and you have to put in music CDs to get more wrestlers

Excited to finally see Joanna Newsom vs Jenny Lewis.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your uncle's a loving idiot, that was Monster RANCHER not Monster HUNTER he's definitely lying to you.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Your uncle's a loving idiot, that was Monster RANCHER not Monster HUNTER he's definitely lying to you.

poo poo. this explains why he lives in a tent and i haven't seen him before this week

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To unlock Kota Ibushi, you gotta find a way to give your CAW Surf before the Jericho Cruise leaves port, then swim over to the NJPW truck on the island and press A.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
If you stare into a mirror and say his name 5 times, John Tenta will appear in your game.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wrestling Vib Ribbon would be cool

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

poo poo. this explains why he lives in a tent and i haven't seen him before this week

Hard times working at Sega

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi, so uhhh I'm not sure where else to post this outside of making it its own thread and I'm not sure this warrants it. I've been running a 90 minute VGCW-inspired bi-weekly wrestling show in WWE 2K22 on Twitch. AI fights AI with none of the winners pre-determined, but then I craft cutscenes around it while myself and a pal do live commentary over it. It's been a lot of fun and we're heading towards the first season finale. The first three episodes are on Youtube with the next four being edited together, but seven episodes have aired on Twitch.

You can find the playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaY8wGSNNIo3nAqsnKGg4zn5dfFirIbj6

And a tweet thread detailing all the major plots: https://twitter.com/cart_blowers/status/1567633511368081410

But the go-home show is tonight, shortly after 7 EST! I figured maybe someone here would enjoy it! It'll be at https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

Thanks for reading and/or ignoring!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That looks like a blast, ill be tuning in tonight!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

silver lining maybe we'll get a better cover for Fight Forever now

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi, so uhhh I'm not sure where else to post this outside of making it its own thread and I'm not sure this warrants it. I've been running a 90 minute VGCW-inspired bi-weekly wrestling show in WWE 2K22 on Twitch. AI fights AI with none of the winners pre-determined, but then I craft cutscenes around it while myself and a pal do live commentary over it. It's been a lot of fun and we're heading towards the first season finale. The first three episodes are on Youtube with the next four being edited together, but seven episodes have aired on Twitch.

You can find the playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaY8wGSNNIo3nAqsnKGg4zn5dfFirIbj6

And a tweet thread detailing all the major plots: https://twitter.com/cart_blowers/status/1567633511368081410

But the go-home show is tonight, shortly after 7 EST! I figured maybe someone here would enjoy it! It'll be at https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

Thanks for reading and/or ignoring!

This looks cool as, looking forward to checking it out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the original monster hunter if you put in a new cd during a hunt it will play thje music on the disc. but it starts on track 2 due to something to do with track 1 being data in non music cds

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Now comes that time of the month when i get stupid and give 2k22 another chance to see if I can just do the simplest goddamn thing.
How about a good ol survivor series match?
Whats that? You turned rope breaks on even after I specifically turned them off in two different menus?
And now literally every finisher ends in a rope break?

Oh but not if you have the actual rope grab ability, which the referee just about never sees so its basically a give up button.

Oh good, i get to delete you again, bye 2k22.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are there any wrestling games where the focus is on being a good wrestler? For example a game that says "For this match, you're the heel, so you want to draw heat but put on a strong show and eventually lose in XYZ way?"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kvlt! posted:

are there any wrestling games where the focus is on being a good wrestler? For example a game that says "For this match, you're the heel, so you want to draw heat but put on a strong show and eventually lose in XYZ way?"

Not really, pretty much every wrestling game treats it as a real sport so your goal is almost always to win the match, or they do that video game thing where you kick rear end the whole match and then lose in a cutscene or whatever.

Only except I can name would be No Mercy which had branching storylines depending on if you won/lost certain matches.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i never played any 2K wrestling games but one time i read someone complaining about being required to have a good match with roman reigns and then lose via pinfall in the career mode or something like that. it would've probably been one of 2k18, 19, or 20. maybe it was a joke

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 10, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kvlt! posted:

Nominally that’s how TEW works, but the number of outputs (popularity, momentum)is limited enough, and the number of inputs so varied and weighted so differently, that it’s difficult to sim matches in which the loser isn’t tarnished by the outcome of a clean match. The best you can do is use booker notes to siphon a little bit of match quality / winner shine and dull the impact of a loss.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Kvlt! posted:

Worldwide wrestling RPG but it’s not a video game

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

i never played any 2K wrestling games but one time i read someone complaining about being required to have a good match with roman reigns and then lose via pinfall in the career mode or something like that. it would've probably been one of 2k18, 19, or 20. maybe it was a joke

I remember someone complaining about having to do certain things in some matches which were nearly impossible to accomplish since the AI is trying to beat you, not cooperate with you to put on a performance.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I remember someone complaining about having to do certain things in some matches which were nearly impossible to accomplish since the AI is trying to beat you, not cooperate with you to put on a performance.

It's been the problem with the entire "Showcase" part of the WWE games since it rolled out.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

joylessdivision posted:

It's been the problem with the entire "Showcase" part of the WWE games since it rolled out.

We have reached the putting clothes on an enraged toddler portion of the game, have fun with that.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Kvlt! posted:

Fire Pro Wrestling World, with proper mods including ring management mode, and the Fire Promoter DLC, and some imagination/note-taking is as good as it gets outside of menu based promoter sims. The ukemi/'start selling' button and guiding the AI gives you a lot of control in how matches go and it rates your matches, if that's what you're looking for. But it's still gonna always act like this is UFC where everyone is actually fighting to win.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 10, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

The problem was they took something that was optional in 2k14 - you could still win the WM matches normally, but doing the objectives unlocked wrestlers- and made it mandatory for progression. It’s such a blatantly bad decision I wonder if it was imposed from above.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I think the problem is that a wrestling game about putting on a good match doesn't work if your opponent isn't cooperating. That set-up would be more like co-op rather than PVP.

I'm not sure what kind of game would suit that best, because I don't think it's a fighting game. Rhythm would probably work but it might not be very fun unfortunately

Although I like the idea of easy rhythm stages because you and your teammate are both scrubs who can barely run the ropes, moving up to the final stages where it's Rey Fenix vs Rey Fenix in a 12-sided 6-roped ring...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fire pro has systems in place that encourage working a match with how matches get a rating at the end and getting 100% can actually be hard. It has an AI editor allowing you to change the general behavior of an opponent to fit whatever style it is you're going for better.

There's actually two distinct philosophies when it comes to creating fire pro characters. One is cement: These are built to simply win a match efficiently. Then there's Pro Wrestling style, these are built to work a match. Pretty much no one does cement with fire pro that I know of.

That said, I don't play fire pro, I only sim it. I build characters, set up their movesets and AI and just look at them. It's cool because you can build a couple of people and then put your latest creation against everyone to see how they interact. Sometimes stuff like this just kinda happens

This gif illustrates nothing I just think it's a cool spot that organically happened so I'm showing it here.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IGgy IGsen posted:

Fire pro has systems in place that encourage working a match with how matches get a rating at the end and getting 100% can actually be hard. It has an AI editor allowing you to change the general behavior of an opponent to fit whatever style it is you're going for better.

There's actually two distinct philosophies when it comes to creating fire pro characters. One is cement: These are built to simply win a match efficiently. Then there's Pro Wrestling style, these are built to work a match. Pretty much no one does cement with fire pro that I know of.

That said, I don't play fire pro, I only sim it. I build characters, set up their movesets and AI and just look at them. It's cool because you can build a couple of people and then put your latest creation against everyone to see how they interact. Sometimes stuff like this just kinda happens

This gif illustrates nothing I just think it's a cool spot that organically happened so I'm showing it here.

That is a cool spot

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

the first match i simmed in fire pro that got a 100% rating was Scott Steiner vs. Big E

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

the first match i simmed in fire pro that got a 100% rating was Scott Steiner vs. Big E

How can you not give a 100% to a hoss match like that?!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

First 100% match I simmed was Dash Rendar vs. Me for the title of who is less of a jobber.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1568869770870800386

He's a goddamn madman

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That’s not how it happened!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Justice for Miles Hardon

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am going to stream some Journey of Wrestling at https://www.twitch.tv/drkarmicknight, because my hard drive died earlier this year, and thus I have been without any TEW ever since because TEW has the absolute loving worst purchases/copy protection system known to humans.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Some more bits and pieces coming out from the Tokyo Game Show. Some looks good, some still looks a little clunky. Follow the #AEWFightForever hashtag if you want to catch any more awkwardly recorded clips!

https://twitter.com/AWegrp/status/1570735696629075968
https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1570333733257093121
https://twitter.com/MonsterBrunch/status/1570694209073721344
https://twitter.com/global_catch/status/1570724250914533376

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Only 10 hours until Rampage baby

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Fire Pro is on sale. I have enough cash I can spare to justify the base game and the promoter DLC, while waiting for the next sale if there's more I need to get. Is there more I need to get considering I doubt I'll be going ham on moves and entrances stuff.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Fire Pro is on sale. I have enough cash I can spare to justify the base game and the promoter DLC, while waiting for the next sale if there's more I need to get. Is there more I need to get considering I doubt I'll be going ham on moves and entrances stuff.

If you plan to download caws you'll need to double check every one before downloading to make sure it doesn't use parts that are only in the other DLCs. I don't remember if downloaded characters work if they're missing DLC bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

They don't.

Same is true for parts craft parts. It's pretty much essential dlc at this point for better or worse.