Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

BonHair posted:

Doesn't Støjberg sagen mean that a minister saying stuff like that is legally speaking a directive that should be followed?

In other news, Shah, the guy who ALLEGEDLY swindled billions from the Danish state is now in Denmark and being tried. And hearing about the case just makes it extremely clear that he's just a (very horrible) guy who got involved in the finance sector's shady parts. What annoys me is that we're treating this like a personal crime, instead of an industrial thing in the finance industry.
Basically, what I'm saying is that finance is a cancer on society and should be abolished, possibly violently.

As an economist I always get a bit pissed off when people lump in finance with economics

Stock markets are fundamentally flawed and a detriment to the economy. Finance is an education where you learn to exploit it for personal gain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Congratulations to Denmark for bringing back blasphemy laws. Stellar work.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Alhazred posted:

Thanks, but while I fully support their right to secession, the Faroes have maintained their "blasphemy law". This new law is not a reimplementation of the former mainland "blasphemy law", which among other things was used to penalize antisemites who claimed the Talmud allowed for the rape of goyim women, however; its purpose is not to prevent "blasphemy", its purpose is to prevent petulant nazis from instigating diplomatic conflicts with foreign powers. It can be likened to the law against flag desecration. It's by no means perfect, but then you'd be hard pressed find such legislation from the current crop of legislators. It has borne some weapons-grade salt, though, which is a bonus.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Alhazred posted:

militant atheists are lamers

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Alhazred posted:

Congratulations to Danes for making a new blasphemy law necessary for the Danish state to have some semblance of good international relations

My instructor for mass handling equipment posted:

We wouldn't need laws if it weren't for idiots

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some people really need to be protected lest their feelings ger hurt.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Some people really need to be protected lest their feelings ger hurt.

As yet there's no legislation being considered for people butthurt that they can't reenact NSDAP's greatest hits, I'm sorry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SplitSoul posted:

As yet there's no legislation being considered for people butthurt that they can't reenact NSDAP's greatest hits, I'm sorry.

Are you saying there should be or what?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Sweden and Finland were still quarreling over some phrenologist's study materials this past October. Skulls for the skull throne, etc.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's a law where all involved parties are kinda poo poo. Religious zealots, aggressive atheists/racists and free speech fanatics. But the racism angle means that it's probably good to have the new law

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm not happy with the law but its better than all the alternatives I came up with, if only because they all involve committing human rights violations on that fucker

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rappaport posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Sweden and Finland were still quarreling over some phrenologist's study materials this past October. Skulls for the skull throne, etc.

I prefer retrophrenology; the science of modifying a person's characteristics by altering the shape of their skull. For example with a hammer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm not happy with the law but its better than all the alternatives I came up with, if only because they all involve committing human rights violations on that fucker

The better alternative is to not make burning of religious texts a crime.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fucker should have been institutionalized a decade ago, preferably no later than during his spree of criminal stalking and harassment.

sucks that that's apparently legal if you're a lawyer, someone should look into that

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Can anyone who has really strong opinions on this include some of the legal text, because I'm pretty sure it's more nuanced than the headlines

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Anders posted:

Can anyone who has really strong opinions on this include some of the legal text, because I'm pretty sure it's more nuanced than the headlines

quote:

Det foreslås, at der indføres en bestemmelse i straffelovens § 110 e, stk. 2, som gør det strafbart offentligt eller med forsæt til udbredelse i en videre kreds at behandle et skrift med væsentlig religiøs betydning for et trossamfund eller en genstand, der fremstår som en sådan, utilbørligt.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Extremely cool

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is that desecrating religious text is just a tool to step on minorities for some people. What we* actually want is for assholes not to be allowed to harass minorities for racist reasons, but removing a tool in the racist toolkit is a good thing, even if there's technically some legitimate uses for it.

*We the posters, not we the people, we the people want to sell cheese and chicken offal to the middle east.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The real, real issue is that it's impossible to overstate the fat cowardice of the pastry eating Dane, and their language is the second dumbest in the world after the Dutch.

It's now more vital than ever for the Schleswig referendum to be amended, so the border may be moved to its proper place some 368 kilometres to the north.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crespolini posted:

The real, real issue is that it's impossible to overstate the fat cowardice of the pastry eating Dane, and their language is the second dumbest in the world after the Dutch.

It's now more vital than ever for the Schleswig referendum to be amended, so the border may be moved to its proper place some 368 kilometres to the north.

I will remind you that the Danish king did try to basically give the country to Bismarck, but he cleverly refused because gently caress the Danish, they're too much trouble.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crespolini posted:

Reminder that the Danish population of Slesvig-Holstein were the targets of a policy of ethnic cleansing/cultural genocide perpetrated by the German Empire, resulting in 300k Danes leaving the territory. Please do kindly gently caress off with this poo poo.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Reminder that the Danish population of Slesvig-Holstein were the targets of a policy of ethnic cleansing/cultural genocide perpetrated by the German Empire, resulting in 300k Danes leaving the territory. Please do kindly gently caress off with this poo poo.

Oh for sure dude

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BonHair posted:

gently caress the Danish

Would if I could, better chicks than sweden.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The better alternative is to not make burning of religious texts a crime.

OK mr. Hitchens

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Free Slesvig-Holsten! Also Skåne, Halland og Blekinge.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

BonHair posted:

The real issue is that desecrating religious text is just a tool to step on minorities for some people. What we* actually want is for assholes not to be allowed to harass minorities for racist reasons, but removing a tool in the racist toolkit is a good thing, even if there's technically some legitimate uses for it.

*We the posters, not we the people, we the people want to sell cheese and chicken offal to the middle east.

We, the posters believe that the end justifies the means.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Free Slesvig-Holsten! Also Skåne, Halland og Blekinge.
I'm not joking about Slesvig-Holstein. That poo poo is recent enough that it affected families within living memory, and in some ways still does today, even if the post-WW2 setup has ensured a faster normalization of things. I guess it's not that important to the Copenhagener conception of history, but I think we can discount the people who think Denmark and Germany don't share a land border.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

Which is why it is illegal, at least in Norway, to harass minorities for racist reasons. But it is also legal to burn an object, as long as they are your objects and you do it in a safe way. I too would like to see people stop burning books but I don't think the state should decide what texts are holy and what people can do with them.

ulvir posted:

OK mr. Hitchens

Pretty weird to see people defend blasphemy laws which in Norway has solely been used to stop people from criticizing the majority religion, christianity.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i think there’s a pretty big difference between Øverland’s “kristendommen, den tiende landeplage” and deliberately standing outside of a youth centre where a majority of the children are minorities, just to smirk at a phone camera while you burn the quran and yell something incoherent about “replacement” and “scandinavia will never be a sharia state! go home!”, but what do I know

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing is, if you persecute Paludan (because he's the main character of blasphemy laws) for racism, you end up with a mess of subjective judgements about what is and isn't racist. And then he gets to go on a whole thing about the woke mob being in charge and so forth. If there's a clear law saying he can't do his signature move, we can hopefully skip some of the birth sides crap.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

What? That's not even possibly how this will pan out. Everyone knows what this law is and what specifically it's in response to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ulvir posted:

i think there’s a pretty big difference between Øverland’s “kristendommen, den tiende landeplage” and deliberately standing outside of a youth centre where a majority of the children are minorities, just to smirk at a phone camera while you burn the quran and yell something incoherent about “replacement” and “scandinavia will never be a sharia state! go home!”, but what do I know

imho maybe threatening children on racist/religious grounds could be the crime instead of the blasphemy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there are genuine problems posed by the activity of someone like paludan, but none that i can see which could not be practicallty solved by just not giving him police protection for his stupid provocations

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if i insisted on wearing a full Brann outfit and standing outside of the RBK supporters' pub in trondheim shouting that everyone with a moustache is intrinsically a paedophile, i would 1) not get police protection and 2) get physically and enthusiastically removed to the nearest bin in a way which would probably discourage me from being quite that much of an rear end in a top hat

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's important to keep in mind that the racist Danish government doesn't give a single fraction of a gently caress about harassing religious and ethnic minorities. That's pretty much its entire raison d'être next to funnelling public funds into private coffers. The law, which, again, is not a "blasphemy law", is intended to curtail diplomatic conflicts with foreign governments.

https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/ft/202312L00065

quote:

Den seneste tids koranafbrændinger har betydet, at Danmark i store dele af verden i stigende grad ses som et land, der faciliterer forhånelse og nedgørelse af andre lande og religioner. Handlingerne må antages at have haft som deres primære formål at forhåne og fremprovokere reaktioner.

Det kan have store konsekvenser, der grundlæggende skader Danmark og vores ligesindedes interesser i verden. Som Politiets Efterretningstjeneste (PET) har oplyst, har den seneste tids koranafbrændinger derudover haft betydning for det aktuelle trusselsbillede, og terrortruslen mod Danmark er skærpet inden for det i forvejen høje niveau.

Der skal ikke herske nogen tvivl om, at regeringen (Socialdemokratiet, Venstre og Moderaterne) ser ytringsfriheden som en af grundpillerne i det danske demokrati. Regeringen mener imidlertid ikke, at koranafbrændinger har større værdi som ytring end udtalelser, der f.eks. forhåner eller nedværdiger en gruppe af personer på grund af sin race eller seksuelle orientering, eller lignende udtalelser, som allerede i dag er strafbare.

[...]

Henset til, at den foreslåede bestemmelse navnlig varetager udenrigspolitiske og sikkerhedsmæssige hensyn, bør den efter Justitsministeriets opfattelse placeres i straffelovens 12. kapitel om landsforræderi og andre forbrydelser mod statens selvstændighed og sikkerhed.

[...]

Beskyttelsen af ytringsfriheden efter artikel 10 er ikke absolut. Der kan foretages indgreb i ytringsfriheden, hvis indgrebet er foreskrevet ved lov og er nødvendigt i et demokratisk samfund af hensyn til den nationale sikkerhed, territorial integritet eller offentlig tryghed, for at forebygge uorden eller forbrydelse, for at beskytte sundheden eller sædeligheden, for at beskytte andres gode navn og rygte eller rettigheder, for at forhindre udspredelse af fortrolige oplysninger eller for at sikre domsmagtens autoritet og upartiskhed, jf. artikel 10, stk. 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

The thing is, if you persecute Paludan (because he's the main character of blasphemy laws) for racism, you end up with a mess of subjective judgements about what is and isn't racist. And then he gets to go on a whole thing about the woke mob being in charge and so forth. If there's a clear law saying he can't do his signature move, we can hopefully skip some of the birth sides crap.

It is not impossible to get people convicted for saying racist poo poo: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/76Jkg8/kvinne-doemt-for-hatefulle-ytringer
https://www.dagsavisen.no/fremtiden/nyheter/2019/11/08/sian-leder-domt-til-betinget-fengsel-i-oslo-tingrett/

SplitSoul posted:

It's important to keep in mind that the racist Danish government doesn't give a single fraction of a gently caress about harassing religious and ethnic minorities. That's pretty much its entire raison d'être next to funnelling public funds into private coffers. The law, which, again, is not a "blasphemy law", is intended to curtail diplomatic conflicts with foreign governments.
But you see that that makes the law even worse? Right?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

if i insisted on wearing a full Brann outfit and standing outside of the RBK supporters' pub in trondheim shouting that everyone with a moustache is intrinsically a paedophile, i would 1) not get police protection and 2) get physically and enthusiastically removed to the nearest bin in a way which would probably discourage me from being quite that much of an rear end in a top hat

At most you'd risk an ørtæv or two.

Unless, lmao, you're actually a bergenser in which case you'd get to compete in the Nidelva 100 meters freestyle

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Unless someone is lobbying towards making wearing specific footnall shirts illegal then this analogy doesn't work.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Alhazred posted:

But you see that that makes the law even worse? Right?

No, it makes the government worse, which is pretty impressive in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

At most you'd risk an ørtæv or two.

Unless, lmao, you're actually a bergenser in which case you'd get to compete in the Nidelva 100 meters freestyle

i thought we knew each other better than this mr fish :(

Alhazred posted:

Unless someone is lobbying towards making wearing specific footnall shirts illegal then this analogy doesn't work.

i'm not entirely sure how you're parsing that post, but i suggest you try again and perhaps also read my previous post directly above the one you're quoting for added context