Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean he has been consistently doing Friday streams (I didn't know if Esco was confused by seeing the Twitch channel go live, it does that every week) and also that patreon money is split among him and the other members of the crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I fully support him spending other people’s money to make me one 7 hour video essay a year about whatever

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh I’m not saying I think he shouldn’t make that much, but people do get upset about it for whatever reason. I mean I listen to a really stupid podcast that makes $127,000 between two people for 2 one hour podcasts a week and it makes me lol every time i see it go up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean he has been consistently doing Friday streams (I didn't know if Esco was confused by seeing the Twitch channel go live, it does that every week) and also that patreon money is split among him and the other members of the crew

I got overexcited by it being so early

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tim Rogers' videos should be filmed while he's working as a diner bus boy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tim Rogers/Joe Pera team up when

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

veni veni veni posted:

Does it have any comfort options? I think the way the player is leveled to the ground instead of the car is actually making me queasier and feels very goofy to me. like the car is just bouncing around around me.

I kind of feel like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc6J5rlKhIc

Oh this happened to me. I restarted the headset and reset the play area. Big tip for playing sitting is that the default sitting area is too small. Make a standing area that encompasses your entire living room including your couch, make sure the floor is the correct height, then just sit down on your couch in it. It works perfectly. Also helps to have that tracking assist setting on that puts the border on your tv. Don’t turn this on if you’re not playing in front of your tv or it goes wild.

Hue bulbs really seem to gently caress with this thing. I can see them flicker at their Hz rate in the pass thru view of the headset. Playing with them on makes the play area bounce all over the place. Regular incandescent bulbs and natural sunlight are the best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I had removed Atomic Heart from my watch list after the reviews came out but if BP says it's worth considering its worth considering imo

Escobarbarian posted:

I like BP’s positivity for maligned games atm, definitely causing me to think twice about avoiding them. And I can play Atomic Heart for free with Xbox Game Pass, the best deal in gaming! Wait wrong thread

I swear I'm not just trying to be contrarian! :) And there's no reason why my opinion should matter more than anyone else's here, though it feels good that you hold me in esteem. I think my beef with media tastemaker game crit these days is that those with prominent platforms seem to want to have an opinion of games while actually playing them as little as possible. So I guess the main goal is to be the first to denounce or promote something within the big collective game of social media that we all play, and people are more interested in watching games be maligned over twitch than actually spending the time to interact with them? Because if that's the case then I don't know what it says about the medium. Maybe we're still in the Reality TV phase of video games.

Anyways, more :words: incoming

I think that would be a great deal, but the value is gonna be different for everyone. It's not a condensed experience like Titanfall 2 where you can blast through it in 6 hours, though I love that game and also value that kind of experience. It's got the pacing and level design of a Half-Life game where you'll get there when you get there, and the combat and platforming design of something like Doom Eternal where it rewards precise dashes and dodges. The skills and vibe definitely crib from Fallout and Bioshock, sure, but all in all mechanically it's kind of a tribute to all western FPS games broadly.

This isn't without its drawbacks. AH throws so much at the player in the first few hours that it's easy to get kind of worn down learning new systems, the first 2 hours felt like a survival sim, and it's paced really gradually. There's great incentive to learning to slow down, save often, and just thoroughly explore the environments. This kind of goes hand in hand with how poor the localization is, which is a shame because a lot of people will dismiss it out of hand due to that, but playing in russian and reading the subs caused me to pace myself in the first few hours. There's just a lot going on (and a lot of the background chatter is dull).

I'll admit there's still stuff that gets fundamentally lost in translation, like the humor is either extremely crass or very dry. The sexy fridge is one thing in its own bawdy tasteless way, but the more pervasive feeling of being caught in communist beuarocracy doesn't always come across perfectly, in some moments it falls flat and in others it hits. And for every player that's gonna be a different process of acceptance. You have these enormous and grand public infrastructure projects like maglev dining-car monorails with the symphony playing inside on a loudspeaker and robot-waiters to operate them, but you can't get the thing to move without having a long winded exchange with that very same uptight robo-waiter, and apparently the ride is only free (as you are reminded multiple times) if you are pregnant or have a disability. But all the ticket windows are closed, because everyone's actually dead and everything blew up.

So you're wandering around looking for a non-expired ticket from various talking dead bodies and ...the humor of the situation is just so bizarre. In a Bioshock game you'd just throw the glowing lever and be off. Brings to mind regarding the disintegration of the communist bloc, how people could take social services for granted because the broad feeling within the culture predisposed them to be completely exhausted with waiting in line all the time. The difficulty in translating that vibe beyond just the garish iconography we've come to expect from media that depicts eastern european communism can't be overstated. There's just no way as an american in the present to fully inhabit the mindset of that kind of industrial society, no matter how many earnest posters we see on the digital walls.

Sakurazuka posted:

Atomic Heart is a game that includes pointless busy work than has the main character break the forth wall complaining about the pointless busy work it just had you do.

How many marxists can dance on the head of a surplus value?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 25, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wo Long rules. The bug with the button prompt aside, it was all great stuff. The focus on parrying everything really does make it feal like Nioh + Sekiro.

Shame it's releasing so close to RE4 though. No way I'm not getting that game first. Hope they still manage to sell well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
One day after complaining about lack of weapon smithing options I found the godslayer greatsword in Elden Ring with juuuust enough stones to smith it up to +7 where my bloodhound sword was at, kind of the perfect confessor weapon imho

Of course then I go to lava town where half the enemies are made of fire so I assume the fire damage part isn't doing poo poo but that's the biz baby

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Wo Long rules. The bug with the button prompt aside, it was all great stuff. The focus on parrying everything really does make it feal like Nioh + Sekiro.

Shame it's releasing so close to RE4 though. No way I'm not getting that game first. Hope they still manage to sell well.

I slammed the triggers and bumpers and it went off, which one was it supposed to be exactly?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I swear I'm not just trying to be contrarian! :) And there's no reason why my opinion should matter more than anyone else's here, though it feels good that you hold me in esteem. I think my beef with media tastemaker game crit these days is that those with prominent platforms seem to want to have an opinion of games while actually playing them as little as possible. So I guess the main goal is to be the first to denounce or promote something within the big collective game of social media that we all play, and people are more interested in watching games be maligned over twitch than actually spending the time to interact with them? Because if that's the case then I don't know what it says about the medium. Maybe we're still in the Reality TV phase of video games.

Anyways, more :words: incoming

I think that would be a great deal, but the value is gonna be different for everyone. It's not a condensed experience like Titanfall 2 where you can blast through it in 6 hours, though I love that game and also value that kind of experience. It's got the pacing and level design of a Half-Life game where you'll get there when you get there, and the combat and platforming design of something like Doom Eternal where it rewards precise dashes and dodges. The skills and vibe definitely crib from Fallout and Bioshock, sure, but all in all mechanically it's kind of a tribute to all western FPS games broadly.

This isn't without its drawbacks. AH throws so much at the player in the first few hours that it's easy to get kind of worn down learning new systems, the first 2 hours felt like a survival sim, and it's paced really gradually. There's great incentive to learning to slow down, save often, and just thoroughly explore the environments. This kind of goes hand in hand with how poor the localization is, which is a shame because a lot of people will dismiss it out of hand due to that, but playing in russian and reading the subs caused me to pace myself in the first few hours. There's just a lot going on (and a lot of the background chatter is dull).

I'll admit there's still stuff that gets fundamentally lost in translation, like the humor is either extremely crass or very dry. The sexy fridge is one thing in its own bawdy tasteless way, but the more pervasive feeling of being caught in communist beuarocracy doesn't always come across perfectly, in some moments it falls flat and in others it hits. And for every player that's gonna be a different process of acceptance. You have these enormous and grand public infrastructure projects like maglev dining-car monorails with the symphony playing inside on a loudspeaker and robot-waiters to operate them, but you can't get the thing to move without having a long winded exchange with that very same uptight robo-waiter, and apparently the ride is only free (as you are reminded multiple times) if you are pregnant or have a disability. But all the ticket windows are closed, because everyone's actually dead and everything blew up.

So you're wandering around looking for a non-expired ticket from various talking dead bodies and ...the humor of the situation is just so bizarre. In a Bioshock game you'd just throw the glowing lever and be off. Brings to mind regarding the disintegration of the communist bloc, how people could take social services for granted because the broad feeling within the culture predisposed them to be completely exhausted with waiting in line all the time. The difficulty in translating that vibe beyond just the garish iconography we've come to expect from media that depicts eastern european communism can't be overstated. There's just no way as an american in the present to fully inhabit the mindset of that kind of industrial society, no matter how many earnest posters we see on the digital walls.

mm. also the robots got mad rear end

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I don't see what the big deal is with Suicide Squad. Barely anything of the single player campaign has been revealed. I seriously doubt Rocksteady spent all the years since Arkham Knight building what I saw last week. We saw Suicide Squad's take on TLOU Factions and everyone's freaking out like it's the whole game. I will probably play that dumb co-op mode if it's fun, but I'm getting the game because the single player campaign is likely to be fantastic given the pedigree.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

negativeneil posted:

I don't see what the big deal is with Suicide Squad. Barely anything of the single player campaign has been revealed. I seriously doubt Rocksteady spent all the years since Arkham Knight building what I saw last week. We saw Suicide Squad's take on TLOU Factions and everyone's freaking out like it's the whole game. I will probably play that dumb co-op mode if it's fun, but I'm getting the game because the single player campaign is likely to be fantastic given the pedigree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

negativeneil posted:

Because what you are seeing is the single player campaign. It's a multiplayer focused loot grinder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll wait until I play the loot grind missions in single player mode with three companion bots before I make any judgements thank you very much!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MechaSeinfeld posted:

mm. also the robots got mad rear end

horny fridge be thicc as a bric a brac

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Even if they've made really good games before, this one does look awful, like the game they have been set to make is an awful tedious and uninspired grindathon with the express purpose of checking every single box in the games-as-a-service style sheet. It would be very strange if they showed only the worse and least appealing aspect of their new game, and instead showcase only the underwelping co-op hijinks that can be carried by the actual good content of the game.

I'm not too sure how much a good developer can redeem something that is rooted in a design so formulaic and tired that "gaas" has become an immediately recognisable criticism in gaming circles. It doesn't matter if they can and do make good games when the newest game they've been working on is trash by design, you know? You can't bank on them going above and beyond when the specification is "Give us the bare minimum, and leave us space where we can slot in new assets to periodically juice our playerbase for income".

Like imagine if I had an artist who has designed some evocative and beautiful sculptures about nature and ecology and environmentalism, and then they are commissioned to make a giant cock and balls out of green gelatine and also asbestos for some reason, I'm not going to go "Oh yeah they'll make something good out of this". Actually I think them taking eight years to make that would worry me further, not reassure me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

boz posted:

I slammed the triggers and bumpers and it went off, which one was it supposed to be exactly?

The first counter tutorial was stuck on my screen for the entire first mission, even though I had successfully countered pretty much everything. As a result, the tutorial to unleash your spirit beast couldn’t display and I had no idea what button combo to push (circle + triangle).

negativeneil posted:

That is the single player campaign, as much as there is one. It’s a Destiny style GaaS game. The only fully solo way to play is to have bots instead of coop. They have been pretty explicit about this. There is no other campaign.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://youtu.be/A8dc3hkdHrs

Here's the vid where they give you the gaas

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Each character has a power level in the game that we call 'gear score'. As you acquire new gear in the game your 'gear score' goes up and as that number goes up it means you can take on much harder missions"

Ungh tell me more Rocksteady man I need to learn more about this amazing gear score progression system

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Game looks like a good 7.5/10 I dont understand what's so upsetting. There's LOOT? You have to GRIND? It's the entire concept of the genre. If people can watch new star trek shows certainly playing some power fantasy grind isn't the worst way to use your time. If there's some pay to win mechanic then yeah its poo poo, but otherwise it looked sorta fun to me :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's not upsetting, it just looks like another boring game that's been monetised to poo poo, then de-monetised somewhat due to the last few years of gaas filled Hindenburgs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Game looks like a good 7.5/10 I dont understand what's so upsetting. There's LOOT? You have to GRIND? It's the entire concept of the genre. If people can watch new star trek shows certainly playing some power fantasy grind isn't the worst way to use your time. If there's some pay to win mechanic then yeah its poo poo, but otherwise it looked sorta fun to me :shrug:

It’s because a lot of people don’t like the genre, especially if there were hoping for something in the vein of the Arkham series.

Also… Star Trek? …what?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is kind of where I'm at as well, but I think the overzealous backlash is just from how it was revealed. Like if it was some low-key release like Hi-Fi Rush no one would be blasting it.

But it's one of the most hyped AAA titles at the moment. It was the premier preview from the Sony State of Play, getting exponentially more coverage than anything else. They've been advertising hard for it, and it's just mediocre at best. A mish-mash of systems we've already seen. Add on the GAAS, always-online bullshit and I get it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Developers need to understand I don't want to play games with other people most of the time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah a big part of the issue is fans of the Arkham series have been wanting a proper followup from the devs for 8 years and instead they’ve revealed that the sequel is something else entirely.

It doesn’t help that it’s in the lineage of other Destiny wannabes like Anthem and Avengers which didn’t survive a year. The target demographic of GaaS is mostly already dedicated to other games.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jelly posted:

This is kind of where I'm at as well, but I think the overzealous backlash is just from how it was revealed. Like if it was some low-key release like Hi-Fi Rush no one would be blasting it.

But it's one of the most hyped AAA titles at the moment. It was the premier preview from the Sony State of Play, getting exponentially more coverage than anything else. They've been advertising hard for it, and it's just mediocre at best. A mish-mash of systems we've already seen. Add on the GAAS, always-online bullshit and I get it.

I missed the state of play so didn’t realize how hard it was being pushed. Honestly it looks like a better anthem, which I know is making GBS threads on my own point lol but at least it has cool traversal options.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best gaas loot game ever is Ghost of Tsushima.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the GAAS market is really a zero-sum game. No one plays more than one service game regularly, so you can only build your audience by convincing them to drop what they’re currently locked into. That only works if you’re an absolutely megaton brand and it’s not clear if DC Universe counts

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Wow, I can't believe that's still around. I remember loading that up on my ps3

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Has anything been confirmed though? Everything we saw last week was to show off co-op mode. Is everyone just deducing from the confirmation that single player requires an internet connection? I just assumed they had a single player game in an open world that had some drop-in/drop-out co-op areas that are somewhat seamless like destiny.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

The best gaas loot game ever is Ghost of Tsushima.

Does it have microtransactions? I got the shadow of the colossus and Bloodborne outfits then didn’t play it again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

imhotep posted:

Does it have microtransactions? I got the shadow of the colossus and Bloodborne outfits then didn’t play it again

Lol no it doesn't. It has a FreeLC loot based co-op made that absolutely rules.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

negativeneil posted:

Has anything been confirmed though? Everything we saw last week was to show off co-op mode. Is everyone just deducing from the confirmation that single player requires an internet connection? I just assumed they had a single player game in an open world that had some drop-in/drop-out co-op areas that are somewhat seamless like destiny.

Yes, it has been very explicitly confirmed. That’s not the co-op “mode,” that’s the whole game. If you want to play without people you use bots. There isn’t another campaign.

It’s not a deduction, this is from the interviews.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

negativeneil posted:

Have you ever played either Destiny or either Division game? It's 1000000000000000% going to be that sort of game. There's no 'single player campaign.' There's no explicit co-op mode. There's a set of missions that you do in order to level up and complete the story to a point, but the meat and potatoes is the 'end game' and the grind that goes with it. Yes you can do those missions single player if you want to but they are 100000000000% designed around the idea of a full squad. There will also absolutely be content that can ONLY be tackled with a full group.

This isn't like...Call of Duty for example. You can buy most Call of Duty games, blow through the SP campaign in a few hours and never touch any multiplayer modes at all. Gaas games have all this poo poo baked in. There will be a hub. There will be a button to matchmake.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Some people do enjoy going through the basic campaign of stuff like Division and Avengers where they just say 'okay I'm satisfied' and stop playing.

I think you're right though there's absolutely gonna be some kind of end game grind and that's how they keep you playing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ineffiable posted:

Some people do enjoy going through the basic campaign of stuff like Division and Avengers where they just say 'okay I'm satisfied' and stop playing.

I think you're right though there's absolutely gonna be some kind of end game grind and that's how they keep you playing.

True but for those games you really don’t get to touch the really fun weapons and gear unless you want to do the endgame stuff and grind. It’s how they get you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jose Oquendo posted:

True but for those games you really don’t get to touch the really fun weapons and gear unless you want to do the endgame stuff and grind. It’s how they get you.

Oh boy I love waiting until the endgame to have access to the fun stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

so thanks to fellow forums poster in this thread, Jows, who gave me a formula for ranking games on my backlog spreadsheet based on hours to beat and metacritic score.

i figured i needed to throw some... objective subjectivity(?) into the mix as well, and i got help from a friend smarter than me to add a modifier based on my actual desire to play any of the games from 1-5. this results in a rank that takes into account length, metacritic score, and how much i want to play the game.

the "final" list had inside and edith finch at the top. two highly rated short games that i wound up playing and beating this week. both were really good!

inside is a game i watched an old roommate play a bit of years ago when it came out, and i was happy to finally play it myself in a single sitting. the gameplay is smooth and the art direction is superb. i love how it tells a compelling, obscure narrative while having zero dialogue or interface at all. pretty sure almost everyone here has played it already so there's not much new i can add to the discourse.

edith finch i was less excited for but short enough to say screw it and go for it. for about an hour i was half intrigued/half bored not knowing what exactly to expect since i never played a walking sim before. to my surprise, it got really inventive and imaginative as it progressed. more than one section had me unexpectedly grinning with joy and one of those sections resulted in me tearing up like a sucker. gregory's sequence is gut wrenchingly beautiful and heartbreaking, and the lewis section is such a delightfully unique take on gameplay and an experience that really nails what it's like to daydream while doing monotonous work IRL.. pretty sure it was a free PS+ game at some point, so if anyone here has it in their library and hasn't played it yet, i highly recommend it!

if anyone's curious how the spreadsheet turned out with a "final rank" based on the three factors mentioned above, here you go:

obviously some titles need to be rearranged bc i'm not gonna play arkham 2 before 1 etc but i'm still super satisfied to have a mostly complete list to refer to so i can knock games out of collecting digital dust in my library.