Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Have you stuck the flatslide carb in yet? The FCR39MX?

No, not yet. So far the bike has been bomb proof so I haven't wanted to upset how perfectly reliable it is now. I use it for commuting year round and need above all things a bike that will get me from A to B every time without issue.

I know the carb won't affect the reliability of the bike in the slightest, I just haven't done it yet because the bike is already pretty much perfect aside from being down on power. Eventually it will get done, I just have other priorities right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
lol @ all the fallen pretty bikes.
A workmate's bike was reversed into yesterday while it was parked.
its a dual sport DR650.

No more than $200 in damage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I ran out and bought a 2000 Bandit 1200 tonight.

14K miles, in great condition cosmetically, middle-aged dude owned, brand new oil pan (because the PO stripped the pan overtightening it), Two Bros pipe, barkbusters (weird), zero grav windscreen, etc etc etc.

I havent had a chance to drive it really yet, other than the test drive, so I dont have any riding impressions other than "Holy poo poo, torque". It also came with a Clymer and a cover.

This is the first bike I've owned that is both >750cc and somewhat new, so it should be fun. I really, really love vintage bikes, but its nice to be back in the land of scary powerful brakes, 180mm tires, parts availability, and push-button starts again.

Here it is in the eBay parts sales holding tank:

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

And here it is intimidating the AARP crew in the back:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

The plan is slow upgrades. Radial masters for brake and clutch, conversion to naked over the winter, any jetting changes that need to be made, digital gauges, and whatever else catches my fancy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, man, I can't wait till you get back to post about how you accidentally pulled a 2 gear power wheelie getting on the freeway on that thing. Torque monster doesn't even begin to describe how loving absurd those engines are.

The row of busted ducatis is from the Indy ducati only parking area at the GP. suuuuucks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

So I ran out and bought a 2000 Bandit 1200 tonight.

14K miles, in great condition cosmetically, middle-aged dude owned, brand new oil pan (because the PO stripped the pan overtightening it), Two Bros pipe, barkbusters (weird), zero grav windscreen, etc etc etc.

I havent had a chance to drive it really yet, other than the test drive, so I dont have any riding impressions other than "Holy poo poo, torque". It also came with a Clymer and a cover.

This is the first bike I've owned that is both >750cc and somewhat new, so it should be fun. I really, really love vintage bikes, but its nice to be back in the land of scary powerful brakes, 180mm tires, parts availability, and push-button starts again.

Here it is in the eBay parts sales holding tank:

And here it is intimidating the AARP crew in the back:

The plan is slow upgrades. Radial masters for brake and clutch, conversion to naked over the winter, any jetting changes that need to be made, digital gauges, and whatever else catches my fancy.

I'd love to hear what that sounds like with the two brothers' pipe on it. You can hear a muffled bassiness on my friend's Bandit with the stock pipe, like there's something really mean in there kept on a very short leash, but the stock pipe muffles the the hell out of it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Jharkov posted:

lol @ all the fallen pretty bikes.
A workmate's bike was reversed into yesterday while it was parked.
its a dual sport DR650.

No more than $200 in damage.

drat, that sucks. I had to pay the same amount when I parked mine stupidly on a slight hill in Downtown SF, where there's a lot of wind. I've parked there before and just came back it with a bent handlebar and brake (some kind people I guess picked it up). The homeless guy I talk to who always hangs there and watches the bikes says he's seen plenty of bikes fall just from the wind.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLvYrKYVD8

Crazy motorbike demonstration stuff.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

That must be incredibly fun

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

iroc_dis posted:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

That must be incredibly fun

Ahahaha

Not for the passenger. I did a wheelie on "accident" and she almost fell off.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Carbonate posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLvYrKYVD8

Crazy motorbike demonstration stuff.

Did you see Valentino Rossi at 37 seconds?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

Ahahaha

Not for the passenger. I did a wheelie on "accident" and she almost fell off.

That's randy mamola on the 07 Duc GP 2 seater. They have handles welded to the tank so that the passenger can hang on, and I'd imagine it's a hell of a thrill to lap only a handful of seconds slower than the GP guys.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's randy mamola on the 07 Duc GP 2 seater. They have handles welded to the tank so that the passenger can hang on, and I'd imagine it's a hell of a thrill to lap only a handful of seconds slower than the GP guys.

I did a 2-up ride of VIR north with Scott Harwell (14 time national champ or somesuch) piloting. AMAZING! Power wheelies and having my rear end and feet hovering an inch off the seat on the brakes, holding on to the tank handle. It was worth the trip to VIR if only for that. Really gives you an idea of what actually being fast is like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

I did a 2-up ride of VIR north with Scott Harwell (14 time national champ or somesuch) piloting. AMAZING! Power wheelies and having my rear end and feet hovering an inch off the seat on the brakes, holding on to the tank handle. It was worth the trip to VIR if only for that. Really gives you an idea of what actually being fast is like.

It's great to see someone like Reg Pridmore at his class offer 2 up rides, and see 2 200 pound guys flying around the track, passing guys with their knees on the ground 2 up. Really shows how little it matters to have the latest, lightest, highest HP bike to go fast :)

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Well, I'm thinking the riding season here in Alaska may be coming to an end soon.

I don't mean to start any fights. Well, maybe I do. I can almost guarantee there isn't a rock in it!

Is white considered a "fall color?'

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What tires do you run that you can get around in the snow?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Its not necessarily a matter of what tires, just a matter of being careful and smart line choice. I personally think DOT knobbies offer the best performance, particularly in slush.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
For the past few winters, I was using Kenda Trackmasters with 12mm carbide tipped car tire studs. This year we're trying Metzeler Karoos, I just have the one on the back right now. It worked pretty well. The Dunlop Trailmax on the front, not so well. A nice front Karoos will be my next purchase, that and a box of studs.
I'm one of a very few all year riders here in Alaska. Before this year I did it on a Pegaso but I sold the Peg, so we'll find out how the GS works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snapped some quick ones out on the Bandit today.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Gnomad posted:

For the past few winters, I was using Kenda Trackmasters with 12mm carbide tipped car tire studs. This year we're trying Metzeler Karoos, I just have the one on the back right now. It worked pretty well. The Dunlop Trailmax on the front, not so well. A nice front Karoos will be my next purchase, that and a box of studs.
I'm one of a very few all year riders here in Alaska. Before this year I did it on a Pegaso but I sold the Peg, so we'll find out how the GS works.

Do you have your own stud gun, or did you find a shop to do it up there?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I had to buy a stud gun, none of the shops here would take on the job due to liability issues, or so they said.

I was checking the sidewall of the Karoo while spooning it on and noticed that it does have a M+S (mud and snow) rating, so I guess I'm good!

When it comes time to stud it up, I should do a thread. It's amazing just how well it works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Ahh, man, I can't wait till you get back to post about how you accidentally pulled a 2 gear power wheelie getting on the freeway on that thing. Torque monster doesn't even begin to describe how loving absurd those engines are.

Here is the funny part, the bike is running pig rich right now. Like 90 miles to a tank, no-choke-starts, pipe is sootier than a chimney rich.

And it still pulls like a loving freight train. I'm kinda scared to find out what its got to give when its actually running the way it should be. I'm tearing into it tonight to figure out the culprit.

ClockworkZero posted:

I'd love to hear what that sounds like with the two brothers' pipe on it. You can hear a muffled bassiness on my friend's Bandit with the stock pipe, like there's something really mean in there kept on a very short leash, but the stock pipe muffles the the hell out of it.

The Two Bros makes it really bassy. Its a nice low rumbling hum at idle, which progresses into a higher pitched howl as the revs climb. Imagine taking a piped 600 sportbike and dropping it an octave. I'll try to get a sound clip in my wrenching tonight.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Here's mine, from earlier in the season. Looks pretty much the same now. 1979 CB750K 10th Anniversary. It's a 15 footer if there ever was one.

As an aside, anyone know where I can get the modern equivalent to this sweet helmet, which is unfortunately both completely useless for safety and made for a tiny baby head?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FluffGrenade posted:

You could buy any number of completely useless 3/4 helmets available on the market today, give it a nice glittery bassboat paintjob, and you would be mostly there. I dont know where you could get a replacement for the BlueBlocker shield though.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

You could buy any number of completely useless 3/4 helmets available on the market today, give it a nice glittery bassboat paintjob, and you would be mostly there. I dont know where you could get a replacement for the BlueBlocker shield though.

But the shield is the best part :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Here is the funny part, the bike is running pig rich right now. Like 90 miles to a tank, no-choke-starts, pipe is sootier than a chimney rich.

And it still pulls like a loving freight train. I'm kinda scared to find out what its got to give when its actually running the way it should be. I'm tearing into it tonight to figure out the culprit.

Oh man, are you in for a treat. Before I rode one, I was like "loving 5 gear transmission what the gently caress is that bullshit how the gently caress is that supposed to work".

Then I did a 3rd gear powerwheelie, downhill on a freeway onramp, shifted into 4th and was doing 130mph. I also realized that my license would basically cease to exist the second that I bought a bandit 12 and had to sadly return it to the seller. They're monsters, especially with a pipe and the correct tuning and some airbox mods. 80 foot pounds of torque from 2k? Sign me the gently caress up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Silver posted:

I love this, what's the story? Road flooded over thanks to Ike a week or so ago?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Oh man, are you in for a treat. Before I rode one, I was like "loving 5 gear transmission what the gently caress is that bullshit how the gently caress is that supposed to work".

Then I did a 3rd gear powerwheelie, downhill on a freeway onramp, shifted into 4th and was doing 130mph. I also realized that my license would basically cease to exist the second that I bought a bandit 12 and had to sadly return it to the seller. They're monsters, especially with a pipe and the correct tuning and some airbox mods. 80 foot pounds of torque from 2k? Sign me the gently caress up.

Its nuts, even in its current, crappy state of tune. I can roll on the throttle in any gear from like 2 grand, and it pulls like hell.

I was kinda weirded out about the 5 speed tranny too, being used to things like my old GSXR, and the RD350, but it really doesnt matter what gear you're in, just roll on the throttle and go, the thing may as well be a CVT. I'm convinced it only has gears to keep the pipe quiet on the highway. They certainly aren't there to keep it in the powerband, because you cant get out of it.

All that torque is nice on the street though. Makes for a very relaxing ride.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

blugu64 posted:

I love this, what's the story? Road flooded over thanks to Ike a week or so ago?

Heh, went camping on the bike with some dual sport friends. That was the camp spot they choose, had to water cross the buffalo river.

The next night, about a mile of this...

To get to the camp site.

But while they were off riding dirt I got to ride...

That. Which was rad. And the water crossing and dirt roads were more :lol: than anything. Was a kick rear end time, waiting for all the pictures to get ftp'ed up from everyone and I'll do a ride report.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Its nuts, even in its current, crappy state of tune. I can roll on the throttle in any gear from like 2 grand, and it pulls like hell.

I was kinda weirded out about the 5 speed tranny too, being used to things like my old GSXR, and the RD350, but it really doesnt matter what gear you're in, just roll on the throttle and go, the thing may as well be a CVT. I'm convinced it only has gears to keep the pipe quiet on the highway. They certainly aren't there to keep it in the powerband, because you cant get out of it.

All that torque is nice on the street though. Makes for a very relaxing ride.

I test rode mine, and brought it back to talk to the guy about it's history (3k miles, salvage title, 3 owners), and apparently one of the owners was a new rider who bought it as his first bike ( :psyduck: ), wadded it and sold it with the salvage title, and the second one had died on it. The guy had bought it from a yard.

Thinking about a new rider on that bike is just...:psypop:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Bandit 12 :psypop:

My god, that's straight out of a western. "Threw one rider, killed the second, picked up cheap at auction, third rider barely touched 'er. She's a mean one, mister, and no mistake."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I know what you mean. I'm by no means the worlds greatest rider, but I've got some mileage under my belt, and the bike keeps my attention, thats for sure. It does not approve of a lazy throttle hand.

The best part is its such a pedestrian looking bike, especially in the champagne color that mine is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I know what you mean. I'm by no means the worlds greatest rider, but I've got some mileage under my belt, and the bike keeps my attention, thats for sure. It does not approve of a lazy throttle hand.

The best part is its such a pedestrian looking bike, especially in the champagne color that mine is.

The one I rode was a 2nd gen which at least looks slightly more shiny. I love the way those bikes look, they're just so drat monsterous.

And yeah, the bike wasn't even that hosed up. I'm not sure how the guy died on it. Maybe dumped the bike and got hit by a car? I'm not typically the superstitious sort, but that makes me a little :smith:

And yeah, if I ever did decide that I hated my license, I'd buy one, deck it out with suspension upgrades, replace the bandit 1200 stickers with bandit 600 stickers, and punk squids on it. :v:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Phat_Albert posted:

Snapped some quick ones out on the Bandit today.

I'm glad I bought mine without the faring on, because wow does the old faring look like rear end. The upgraded one from 2001 looks so much better I can't believe they waited that long to make it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

I test rode mine, and brought it back to talk to the guy about it's history (3k miles, salvage title, 3 owners), and apparently one of the owners was a new rider who bought it as his first bike ( :psyduck: ), wadded it and sold it with the salvage title, and the second one had died on it. The guy had bought it from a yard.

That story is awesome.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I can appreciate a bike with a history of maiming, my YZ426 has taken two femurs and broken a back of previous owners, and dislocated my shoulder. I cant wait to tard it so I can ride it more often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NinjaCthulhu posted:

I'm glad I bought mine without the faring on, because wow does the old faring look like rear end. The upgraded one from 2001 looks so much better I can't believe they waited that long to make it.

My fairing is not long for this world. I'll leave it on for the rest of the season, and convert to naked over the winter. I bought the bike with the intention of converting. Naked 1200's are so rare in the US though that you're better off buying the S and doing it yourself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

check out dude's leg

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

check out dude's leg

There are a handful of riding heroes like that out there...I've had the pleasure of meeting a few. One of the guys with one of the trackday providers I run with lost his right hand in an accident, and another one was paralized from the waist down.

Both of them are loving fast as hell. The guy who is paralized from the waist down has outriggers on his bike, and straps his lower body into the bike, and simply hauls rear end. I got passed at miller like I was standing still, managed to keep up for aproximately 2 corners. The guy who lost his hand has a ball joint that clips into the handlebar and I believe his throttle is routed to the left side of the bike. Both of them are amazing and a loving hell of an inspiration. Another friend of a friend lost his left leg in an accident and now rides a bandit 600 that he has to suicide shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Moscow : Motorcycle Gets T-Boned By Other Motorcycle.

Deadly motorcycle accident caught on cockpit cam

Motorcyclist nearly hits a sheep