Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DevastatorIIC posted:

My laptop has those specs (Pentium M instead of 4), and runs Kubuntu fine. If you really want something lighter and faster, use Xubuntu.

Or my anti-nautilus script on regular Ubuntu. Tested, works on Gutsy just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
Alright, thanks. I'll experiment a little more with Ubuntu.

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
Can someone please explain this error to me?

code:
start-stop-daemon: Unable to set initgroups() with gid 1000 (Operation not permitted)
As I understand it, since I am trying to run this daemon as my user (in group ID 1000) I am rejected. However if I modify my group file and change the following line:

root:x:0:

read

root:x:0:myusername

I should be able to execute files within the root group, or am I completely wrong here.

I'll explain my dilemma and why I want to run this daemon as my user. I currently have samba set up with my user, however when I run this daemon as root (which will sometimes create files within my samba shared directories I am unable to delete them through my share, which I find very inconvenient.

I know I have been pretty vague, but any suggestion would be appreciated, this whole permissions thing is killer.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

m3jsh posted:

Can someone please explain this error to me?

code:
start-stop-daemon: Unable to set initgroups() with gid 1000 (Operation not permitted)
As I understand it, since I am trying to run this daemon as my user (in group ID 1000) I am rejected. However if I modify my group file and change the following line:

root:x:0:

read

root:x:0:myusername

I should be able to execute files within the root group, or am I completely wrong here.
There is more to Unix permissions handling than adding users to groups, however daemon startup scripts are not designed to be started by regular users. If you want to run them, use sudo, and they will run as root.

quote:

I'll explain my dilemma and why I want to run this daemon as my user. I currently have samba set up with my user, however when I run this daemon as root (which will sometimes create files within my samba shared directories I am unable to delete them through my share, which I find very inconvenient.

I know I have been pretty vague, but any suggestion would be appreciated, this whole permissions thing is killer.
Leave samba daemon alone and run it as root. Just configure user authentication to use normal Linux users, so files created by Samba on your behalf will be owned by you. By default you should have "homes" share or a share named after your user that you can use to store files owned by you (uncomment it in /etc/samba/smb.conf, restart samba by running "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" and use smbpasswd to configure your password).

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
I guess I will be a little less vague. I have set up SABnzbd which I am running as root. When it saves the binaries I retrieve from newsgroups they are saved as root:root with permissions of 751. Is there any way to force root to allow the write permission (so I can delete/rename things if I so wish?)

I don't know if there is any legit way but I suppose I could create a script that runs every so often that sets all the files in a particular folder to the permission levels I require.

Or I suppose I should just give up trying to use my own personal user as I will be the only person using the box and I am not really in danger of the server being compromised. I don't know though.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

m3jsh posted:

I guess I will be a little less vague. I have set up SABnzbd which I am running as root. When it saves the binaries I retrieve from newsgroups they are saved as root:root with permissions of 751. Is there any way to force root to allow the write permission (so I can delete/rename things if I so wish?)

I don't know if there is any legit way but I suppose I could create a script that runs every so often that sets all the files in a particular folder to the permission levels I require.
SABnzbd, as opposed to, say, Samba, is not designed to run as root. Run it as your regular user. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=320475 for details.

quote:

Or I suppose I should just give up trying to use my own personal user as I will be the only person using the box and I am not really in danger of the server being compromised. I don't know though.
Just the opposite -- don't run ANYTHING as root unless it is designed to run as root (and if it is, it should come packaged with init script).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I'm having a slight problem getting a USB soundcard to be detected at startup under ubuntu server 7.10.

I'm using alsa, alsa doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. I have a properly configured asound.conf. When plugged in, the soundcard (a Griffin iMic) is recognized fine, shows up in /proc/asound/cards and otherwise works without incident.

Trouble is, I actually have to plug the device in post-startup in order for it to be recognized. If I leave it plugged into the USB port and restart, it won't be detected until I unplug it and plug it back in.

I'm using my motherboard's built-in USB controllers, and am not having trouble with any other USB devices.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

guy debord
Jan 29, 2007
I'm having an issue with Firestarter. I want it to run when I log into my GNOME session, but after putting it in the Sessions menu, it tells me "Firestarter couldn't run because of administrative privileges", or something like that(I don't recall off the top of my head.) Now, I can start it simply enough, but I just wish it would start on its own at load time.

Any suggestions?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

m3jsh posted:

SABnzbd supports external post-processing of downloaded files.

You could always write a script to chown/chmod the completed directory to whatever you want.

See the extern_proc parameter in your SABnzbd.ini, i.e.
code:
    ## external post-processing
    ## SABnzbd will pass each completed job to an external program
    ## First parameter will have full dir-pathname between quotes
    ## Second parameter will have original NZB name between quotes
    extern_proc = "/usr/local/bin/fix_SAB_perms"

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my home PC, and I've got a couple of questions:

1. The GRUB loader shows an entry called "Windows XP Home Edition", but I don't have XP installed on this machine at all... Wtf?

2. How do I change the order in which the OSs are displayed? I want Vista to be the default entry.

Following this guide, I went into the text editor and changed the title of the Vista boot entry to "Windows Vista Home Premium x64" and deleted the whole entry for XP, since that's not even installed. But I don't see what it means by changing the number from "0" to "4". Can someone help me out here?

Would it work just to move the whole "Other Operating Systems:" section to above the Linux kernels?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Anunnaki posted:

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my home PC, and I've got a couple of questions:

1. The GRUB loader shows an entry called "Windows XP Home Edition", but I don't have XP installed on this machine at all... Wtf?

2. How do I change the order in which the OSs are displayed? I want Vista to be the default entry.

Following this guide, I went into the text editor and changed the title of the Vista boot entry to "Windows Vista Home Premium x64" and deleted the whole entry for XP, since that's not even installed. But I don't see what it means by changing the number from "0" to "4". Can someone help me out here?

Would it work just to move the whole "Other Operating Systems:" section to above the Linux kernels?
1. It's just guessing based on NTFS, and XP Home is most common :v:

2. If you want to change display order, just move the chunks around. If you want Vista to load by default, put the line "savedefault" after it, and remove any other savedefaults in the file.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Scaevolus posted:

1. It's just guessing based on NTFS, and XP Home is most common :v:

2. If you want to change display order, just move the chunks around. If you want Vista to load by default, put the line "savedefault" after it, and remove any other savedefaults in the file.

The Vista and XP entry were the only ones with "savedefault" in them, and I deleted the XP entry, but the Ubuntu kernel was still the first entry on the list; and the message at the bottom says that it will load the first one that's highlighted.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Anunnaki posted:

The Vista and XP entry were the only ones with "savedefault" in them, and I deleted the XP entry, but the Ubuntu kernel was still the first entry on the list; and the message at the bottom says that it will load the first one that's highlighted.

As I said, you can shift the entries around if you want. Also, savedefault should make that entry be the first one that's highlighted.

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
edit: Please disregard, figured out my problem.

m3jsh fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 7, 2007

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I want to copy everything in a folder (which is actually the old hard drive's / partition.) into another folder (which is the new hard drive's / partition)

I was trying

cp -r --preserve /mnt/old /mnt/new

But this creates an "old" folder in /mnt/new.

What should I do?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Harokey posted:

I want to copy everything in a folder (which is actually the old hard drive's / partition.) into another folder (which is the new hard drive's / partition)

I was trying

cp -r --preserve /mnt/old /mnt/new

But this creates an "old" folder in /mnt/new.

What should I do?

Add a trailing slash.
code:
cp -Rp /mnt/old/ /mnt/new/

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

admiraldennis posted:

Add a trailing slash.
code:
cp -Rp /mnt/old/ /mnt/new/

Thats what I had thought before too but that creates an "old" folder in there as well.

Keep in mind that /mnt/old and /mnt/new are existing folders.

Edit: *sigh* I knew I would do this. I just did an rm -rf /mnt/old Now I have to figure out how to undo that... If I even can.

Edit2: Looks Like It Can't Be done... Oh well, I'll just rebuild the system then.

Harokey fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 7, 2007

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Harokey posted:

Thats what I had thought before too but that creates an "old" folder in there as well.

Keep in mind that /mnt/old and /mnt/new are existing folders.

Yeah. There are different versions of cp. I'm used to the BSD version. You didn't specify. :P

this:
code:
cp -Rp ~/test/old/* ~/test/new/
should have definitely worked, however.

Harokey posted:

Edit: *sigh* I knew I would do this. I just did an rm -rf /mnt/old Now I have to figure out how to undo that... If I even can.
:confused::confused::confused:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

jdonz posted:

Try:
code:
ps -ef | grep nautilus
You should see:
code:
[joshua@jupiter ~]$ ps -ef | grep nautilus
joshua    9569  9540  0 08:20 pts/0    00:00:00 grep naut
joshua   24742     1  0 Oct22 ?        00:00:16 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id default3
[joshua@jupiter ~]$

That returns

code:
swmmng    7796  7778  0 21:35 pts/0    00:00:00 grep nautilus
So, sort of the same?

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this; I've been using Finale a lot, and it doesn't quite behave nicely in Ubuntu.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

admiraldennis posted:

:confused::confused::confused:

Lol Exactly,

I was trying to remove the "new" old file that was created in /mnt/new but i did rm -rf old in the wrong terminal window and killed the real "old" folder. So now I have to re-build anything.

I saw a thread where some guys would wear a sombrero or something whenever someone did something stupid. I should start this policy at my work and take first shift wearing it :(

Most of the stuff was backed up, and I mostly just wanted to use what was on there as a reference, oh well I'll just have to set it all up from scratch, not a big deal.

EDIT: But back to the point:

code:
Won't work because it won't copy over any dot("hidden") files.

Harokey fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 8, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Harokey posted:

EDIT: But back to the point:

code:
Won't work because it won't copy over any dot("hidden") files.

code:
cp -Rp ~/test/old/* ~/test/old/.??* ~/test/new/
will copy everything except files with a name that is a dot and single character other than a dot.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

teapot posted:

code:
cp -Rp ~/test/old/* ~/test/old/.??* ~/test/new/
will copy everything except files with a name that is a dot and single character other than a dot.

any reason why you couldn't just do an rsync -a instead of dealing with the various idiosyncrasies of cp?

LesserEvil665
Jun 1, 2000
I'm using ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon with two monitors. One is on my laptop, the other is an LCD flat screen. I've been able to extend my desktop but the view on the secondary monitor exceeds its physical borders. I literally must drag my desktop by the borders to get to my desktop's borders. It's not critical, but it's anoying, and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to solve this dilemma.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I need a good cd/media ripping app for kde. Or just in general, you know. I tried using k3b to rip a cd, but it keeps giving me an error when I try to rip to mp3s.
code:
lame -h --tt song --ta band --tl album --ty year etc.
I did install the gstreamer plugins if it makes any difference.

So. Any advice to make this work, or just an alternative app I can use?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

LesserEvil665 posted:

I'm using ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon with two monitors. One is on my laptop, the other is an LCD flat screen. I've been able to extend my desktop but the view on the secondary monitor exceeds its physical borders. I literally must drag my desktop by the borders to get to my desktop's borders. It's not critical, but it's anoying, and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to solve this dilemma.

Either change the frequency in desktop resolution settings, or use monitor's menu to make it autodetect or adjust and "remember" the timings.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Ozean posted:

Apologies if it's been asked before, but I need a good cd/media ripping app for kde. Or just in general, you know. I tried using k3b to rip a cd, but it keeps giving me an error when I try to rip to mp3s.

What error? WHAT DOES IT SAY?

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

Ozean posted:

code:
lame -h --tt song --ta band --tl album --ty year etc.

but you know replace song with the song's name, band with the band's name, etc.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Ozean posted:

So. Any advice to make this work, or just an alternative app I can use?
I really like Grip. It can use CDDB databases to automatically get tags, checks rips for errors (CD read errors), lets you specify options to LAME, and is overall a pretty slick tool.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
I have some bashrc/bash profile confusion here.

Here they are (obviously, the versions in my ~ don't have a ".txt" on the end!)

http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc.txt
http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc_profile.txt

I have just blanked my bash_profile and moved everything that was in it into .bashrc.

The problem I am having is as follows:

- Logging in via a virtual terminal does not seem to set any of the exported variables (KDE4DAILY_UPDATER_DIR, KDE4INSTALL, PS1, etc), although this did work when I had most of the "export" junk in my .bash_profile.

- Starting up a GUI terminal e.g. Konsole does seem to source all this stuff correctly but, annoyingly, prints out every line in an orgy of "declare -x" statements - sometimes including lines that are presumably in /etc/bashrc or some other place, which I have not touched. I really don't what this to happen and would like some way of switching it off. Sometimes it doesn't print all this crap out, though, and I can't put my finger on the conditions under which it does and does not occur.

[I moved all the exports out of .bash_profile and into .bashrc as someone said that .bashrc is "the silent one" of the two, but it still seems to keep running its gums].

The user shell seems to be set to /bin/bash in /etc/users. This is effectively a server install of Kubuntu Feisty 7.04, running in a VM.

Any suggestions on how to correctly structure my ash files would be appreciated :)

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Hi guys,

heres a nub plead for help, I have a wee mdadm raid5 array of 5 x 400gig drives on my Ubuntu box. Long story short the array is playing up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Some things think the drives are down and some things don't. Device 3 appears to be stuffed in most of the reports however when I try and start array it does this

code:
mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 2 drives - not enough to start the array.
mdadm --examine /dev/sda yeilds this

code:
/dev/sda:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 00.90.00
           UUID : e10e5fd1:1584c8fe:f7f338c5:ef182b41
  Creation Time : Fri Feb  9 19:28:20 2007
     Raid Level : raid5
    Device Size : 390711296 (372.61 GiB 400.09 GB)
     Array Size : 1562845184 (1490.45 GiB 1600.35 GB)
   Raid Devices : 5
  Total Devices : 5
Preferred Minor : 0

Update Time : Mon Aug 20 06:26:59 2007
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 5
Working Devices : 5
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0
       Checksum : 2ac277c4 - correct
         Events : 0.792890

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 128K

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
this     3       8        0        3      active sync   /dev/sda

0     0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
   1     1       8       32        1      active sync   /dev/sdc
   2     2       8       48        2      active sync   /dev/sdd
   3     3       8        0        3      active sync   /dev/sda
   4     4       8       64        4      active sync   /dev/sde
/dev/sdb does this

code:
this     0       8        0        0      active sync   /dev/sda

0     0       8        0        0      active sync   /dev/sda
   1     1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb
   2     2       0        0        2      faulty removed
   3     3       0        0        3      faulty removed
   4     4       0        0        4      faulty removed
/dev/sdc

code:
this     1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb

/dev/sdd

code:
this     2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc

2     2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc
   4     4       8       48        4      active sync   /dev/sdd
/dev/sde
code:
this     4       8       48        4      active sync   /dev/sdd

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

Hi guys,

heres a nub plead for help, I have a wee mdadm raid5 array of 5 x 400gig drives on my Ubuntu box. Long story short the array is playing up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Some things think the drives are down and some things don't. Device 3 appears to be stuffed in most of the reports however when I try and start array it does this

code:
mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 2 drives - not enough to start the array.
mdadm --examine /dev/sda yeilds this

code:
/dev/sda:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 00.90.00
           UUID : e10e5fd1:1584c8fe:f7f338c5:ef182b41
  Creation Time : Fri Feb  9 19:28:20 2007
     Raid Level : raid5
    Device Size : 390711296 (372.61 GiB 400.09 GB)
     Array Size : 1562845184 (1490.45 GiB 1600.35 GB)
   Raid Devices : 5
  Total Devices : 5
Preferred Minor : 0

Update Time : Mon Aug 20 06:26:59 2007
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 5
Working Devices : 5
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0
       Checksum : 2ac277c4 - correct
         Events : 0.792890

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 128K

this     3       8        0        3      active sync   /dev/sda

0     0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
   1     1       8       32        1      active sync   /dev/sdc
   2     2       8       48        2      active sync   /dev/sdd
   3     3       8        0        3      active sync   /dev/sda
   4     4       8       64        4      active sync   /dev/sde
/dev/sdb does this

code:
this     0       8        0        0      active sync   /dev/sda

/dev/sdc

code:
this     1       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb

/dev/sdd

code:
this     2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc

/dev/sde
code:
this     4       8       48        4      active sync   /dev/sdd

Use mdadm --manage --add to add remaining devices to the array.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
> http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc.txt
> http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc_profile.txt
404 on latter

>- Logging in via a virtual terminal does not seem to set any of the exported >variables (KDE4DAILY_UPDATER_DIR, KDE4INSTALL, PS1, etc), although this did work
> when I had most of the "export" junk in my .bash_profile.

a VT is a login shell, which automatically reads .bash_profile

see INVOCATION in the bash manpage

>- Starting up a GUI terminal e.g. Konsole does seem to source all this >stuff correctly but,

by default not a login shell, so it reads .bashrc

quote:

annoyingly, prints out every line in an orgy of "declare -x" statements - sometimes including lines that are presumably in /etc/bashrc or some other place, which I have not touched. I really don't what this to happen and would like some way of switching it off. Sometimes it doesn't print all this crap out, though, and I can't put my finger on the conditions under which it does and does not occur.

you have an errant bash -x or set -x; try grep -r -- -x ~

quote:

[I moved all the exports out of .bash_profile and into .bashrc as someone said
that .bashrc is "the silent one" of the two, but it still seems to keep running its gums].
sounds like a bogus suggestion

> Any suggestions on how to correctly structure
> my ash files would be appreciated :)
if these are settings you want to run for every imagineable shell, source your bashrc from bash_profile and stuff all your content into bashrc.b

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

covener posted:

404 on latter

Sorry - just imagine an empty file ;)

quote:

a VT is a login shell, which automatically reads .bash_profile

see INVOCATION in the bash manpage

by default not a login shell, so it reads .bashrc

Cool - thanks for the info - it's much clearer now!

quote:

you have an errant bash -x or set -x; try grep -r -- -x ~

Only turns up usages of "-x" in a "file exists?" capacity. I put a

code:
$-
set -o
in my .bashrc; the former returned

code:
himBH
and the latter indicated that xtrace was not set :( Any other clues?

quote:

sounds like a bogus suggestion

More than likely.

quote:

if these are settings you want to run for every imagineable shell, source your bashrc from bash_profile and stuff all your content into bashrc.b

Great; thanks for the advice :)

Edit:

Heh - the "declare -x" stuff was the result of an "export" somehow being split into two lines. "export" on its own will pour out all that bumph :) Problem solved; thanks!

GeneralZod fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 9, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any help on my desktop background disappearing on startup?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

hooah posted:

Any help on my desktop background disappearing on startup?

On non-gnome systems, you might end up w/ gnome-settings-daemon being launched as a result of opening gnome-control-center.

Any persistent change in your process list between before/after you see the background change? If there's nothing persistent, how about something like strace -e trace=process -o /tmp/strace.txt gnome-control-center?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

covener posted:

On non-gnome systems, you might end up w/ gnome-settings-daemon being launched as a result of opening gnome-control-center.

Any persistent change in your process list between before/after you see the background change? If there's nothing persistent, how about something like strace -e trace=process -o /tmp/strace.txt gnome-control-center?

I am using gnome. Also, I don't understand most of what you're asking me in the second paragraph; I've been usuing Ubuntu off and on for maybe a month.

\/ That's good to know! Thanks.

hooah fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 9, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

guy debord posted:

I'm having an issue with Firestarter. I want it to run when I log into my GNOME session, but after putting it in the Sessions menu, it tells me "Firestarter couldn't run because of administrative privileges", or something like that(I don't recall off the top of my head.) Now, I can start it simply enough, but I just wish it would start on its own at load time.

Any suggestions?

When you run firestarter in Gnome, you're running a gui application on top of the background firestarter daemon (a daemon is roughly similar to a background service in windows) which is itself an easy way to use iptables (part of the inbuilt linux firewall).

There should be an /etc/init.d/firestarter file installed automatically (assuming you use Ubuntu) that launches the firestarter daemon when linux first boots up.

Therefore you're still protected by the firewall, even when the gui isn't running. You would normally only need to load the gui to make a change or to look at activity logs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I am having an annoying problem sometimes with Gutsy on my laptop (Vostro 1500). I am not sure it has 100% to do with Xorg or compiz and not 100% sure it has to do with booting into battery but seems to exacerbate it if I do so.

The problem: sometimes when I boot into gutsy, it's really slow to respond. This is exemplified by the fact that if I click and drag to select icons on my Desktop it really really lags. I am running a top right now (plugged in to wall) with firefox also open and it shows firefox-bin at 19-25% constant CPU (edit: flash was running), compiz at 5% and Xorg 2-6%. My CPU is fluctuating 800MHz to 1600MHz. When I click and drag on the desktop Xorg jumps to 85-90% usage. (CPU usage is from having booted into battery then plugged in)

This is mostly a minor annoyance because I can just restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace) and it fixes itself most of the time. But I'd like it to not happen. There seem to be no errors on Xorg.0.log, the nvidia driver seems to load correctly including:

code:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
..snip..
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
Cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5470 @ 1.60GHz

If you need anything else, let me know.

P.S. Also, does anyone know how to make loving touchpad less spazztic click-wise? edit: I think I solved my own problem.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 9, 2007

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
Does anyone know of a good location for creating RPMs?

What I am interested in is packaging proprietary software into an RPM format for easy automated install. Before I had just tared up the directory, and this worked fine, but I was interested in doing this the right way. Most of what I have seen for building RPMs is building it from source.

I'm used to solaris's packaging system where you give it a list of files to put into the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

teapot posted:

Either change the frequency in desktop resolution settings, or use monitor's menu to make it autodetect or adjust and "remember" the timings.

It's not just that. If it's Nvidia driver, it could be how you configured your placement settings and resolution. I had whole bunch of issues with that and finally straightened them out. Also, make sure your laptop LCD is the monitor on the left, and set to absolute placement. I could not get my setup to work well without that.

Now, if you have Intel or ATI video, then can't help you there :).

Btw, did anyone get Gutsy to work well on Suspend (not even going to try Hibernate)? It's very intermittent for me, and I can't get the lid suspend to work at all. Well, it will suspend, but won't wake up.