Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Jet Jaguar posted:

I think I first encountered this book through either this thread of the Iain Banks one--such a great read. I've not read Cook's other SF work, Passage at Arms looks really interesting as well but I haven't read it.

Do. Just enough SciFi handwaving to justify space submarines. Audible has it too if that's your preferred medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

And it goes from aggravating to creepy when you notice how fond he is of having huge age-gaps between his couples, with some of the younger parties being way the gently caress underage.

Someone might have gotten through to Hamilton, because the latest book of his in the commonwealth universe has Nigel, the smartest, most awesomest, most importantest totally not Gary Sue straight up reject the naive teenager he stumbles across by pretty much saying "lol, no way, I'm way too old for you". I also can't recall any gratuitous and unnecessary sex scenes.

New editor perhaps?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He was too busy writing a garbage story about magic evil imaginary dream land to include the gratuitous creepy sex.

What I'm saying is that Peter F. Hamilton is a terrible author.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Someone might have gotten through to Hamilton, because the latest book of his in the commonwealth universe has Nigel, the smartest, most awesomest, most importantest totally not Gary Sue straight up reject the naive teenager he stumbles across by pretty much saying "lol, no way, I'm way too old for you". I also can't recall any gratuitous and unnecessary sex scenes.

New editor perhaps?

I never thought of Nigel as a Gary Sue type of character. It's rather obvious that he is Steve Jobs and the other guy is Wozniak.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

mcustic posted:

I never thought of Nigel as a Gary Sue type of character. It's rather obvious that he is Steve Jobs and the other guy is Wozniak.

Ozzie? I call him Wozzie just for that reason.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
So I'm starting to think I like space opera rather than general sci fi.

I like Elizabeth Moon's space opera a lot (Familias Regnant series, Vatta's War) as well as Iain M. Banks' Culture books.

One thing that's clear is that I like gender-progressive societies. Maybe that's part of the appeal of sci fi for me.

So, recommendations? Single books or series. I don't generally like short stories though, so not those.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you want a space opera that does something interesting with gender, Ancillary Justice is the current go-to.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

If you want a space opera that does something interesting with gender, Ancillary Justice is the current go-to.

Yep, it's great. Sequel just came out too, but I haven't read it yet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

General Battuta posted:

Spoiler alert: it doesn't actually do anything interesting with gender.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Hedrigall posted:

Spoiler alert: it doesn't actually do anything interesting with gender.

well "doing" anything with gender isn't really what I care about, but rather gender not really mattering, which Banks does really well and Moon does less directly (with gender being a thing that can be overcome).

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 7, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The protagonist in Ancillary Justice comes from a society without any concept of gender, just physical sex (which they don't really pay attention to), and she can't distinguish gender even in societies who have the concept, so she just calls everyone 'she'. It's a pretty cool effect.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

General Battuta posted:

The protagonist in Ancillary Justice comes from a society without any concept of gender, just physical sex (which they don't really pay attention to), and she can't distinguish gender even in societies who have the concept, so she just calls everyone 'she'. It's a pretty cool effect.

That sounds cool and I will definitely read it (and probably get back to this thread with my thoughts on it). Cheers.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

General Battuta posted:

I didn't think about this while reading AJ, but maybe part of that is a joke on ships always being gendered female in English.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

toe knee hand posted:

So I'm starting to think I like space opera rather than general sci fi.

I like Elizabeth Moon's space opera a lot (Familias Regnant series, Vatta's War) as well as Iain M. Banks' Culture books.

One thing that's clear is that I like gender-progressive societies. Maybe that's part of the appeal of sci fi for me.

So, recommendations? Single books or series. I don't generally like short stories though, so not those.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga might be intersting. It's not a gender-progessive society, but the tone of the books very much is. It's set in a deeply patriarchal society (after 400 years of no contact with the rest of the universe) a few decades after being thrown back into the wider galaxy, and after just fending off an invasion and occupation by a neighboring Empire. Main protagonist (after the first two books about his parents) is Miles, a very, very clever guy born a crippled dwarf in a warrior society. And unlike the description I just gave it's not dark at all, thanks to lots of humour throughout the series. Basically the story of said patriarchal society being dragged screaming and protesting into a gender-equal, gender progressive world by the Vorkosigan family and friends.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I loved the dense nature of The Dragon never sleeps. I loved that it was one book I get put off by a lot of SciFi authors doing 5+ book series. That's why I guess my book intake has dropped off recently.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Greataval posted:

I loved the dense nature of The Dragon never sleeps. I loved that it was one book I get put off by a lot of SciFi authors doing 5+ book series. That's why I guess my book intake has dropped off recently.

I just got done reading The Dragon Never Sleeps a couple days ago, and whoever compared it to Dune (more than just one person, IIRC) was spot on. Even past the surface (there's Houses, gholas artifacts, FTL is a bit 'unique'), the whole 'throw you in the deep end and let you figure it out' was strong in this one much like Dune. Definitely would enjoy a sequel, but even alone, it was really worth the read.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I thought it was like Dune and when I poked around places like Goodreads, lots of other people saying it's like Dune.

So yeah if you dig Dune check it out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First trailer for the Syfy Expanse series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5gXIQmY-E

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Chairman Capone posted:

First trailer for the Syfy Expanse series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5gXIQmY-E

This actually looks pretty good

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

This actually looks pretty good

poo poo, this really looks good. I think I add the Expanse books to my reading list, so I'm not completely clueless when the TV series comes out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Libluini posted:

poo poo, this really looks good. I think I add the Expanse books to my reading list, so I'm not completely clueless when the TV series comes out.
It's very much Firefly/Farscape over the course of several books, although it takes most of the first book to give enough buildup and exposition for it to truly reach that point. I was caught off-guard by how much of the series centers around "plucky crew of the questionably-legal spaceship with kind of more firepower than they ought to be packing."

The world I saw in the trailer made up for it, but seeing Detective Miller (the dude in the hat) as theprimary focus was kind of weird, because he always struck me as a tertiary and almkost throwaway character, compared to the depth and growth of Captain Holden. I was wanting to see Amos gettin' all shooty. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The best thing the TV show could do is kill off the core cast ASAP and let the guest characters run the narrative.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

coyo7e posted:

It's very much Firefly/Farscape over the course of several books, although it takes most of the first book to give enough buildup and exposition for it to truly reach that point. I was caught off-guard by how much of the series centers around "plucky crew of the questionably-legal spaceship with kind of more firepower than they ought to be packing."

The world I saw in the trailer made up for it, but seeing Detective Miller (the dude in the hat) as theprimary focus was kind of weird, because he always struck me as a tertiary and almkost throwaway character, compared to the depth and growth of Captain Holden. I was wanting to see Amos gettin' all shooty. :(

In the first book he's not that tertiary, I'd say. I actually really liked his scenes in the books.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

General Battuta posted:

The best thing the TV show could do is kill off the core cast ASAP and let the guest characters run the narrative.

UN grandma and Bobbie TV show.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Decius posted:

UN grandma and Bobbie TV show.

This.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Who will be cast as Bobby? She's bigger than Brienne of Tarth and Samoan, iirc?

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Kristen Bell.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, I just hope to gently caress that she looks like this:

and not like this:

Source: googling "Samoan woman".

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

coyo7e posted:

A 5'6" white woman with auburn hair

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
And the producers will say something about great young talent really connecting with modern viewers.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

How did I manage to miss the Red Rising series? Spartacus Spartacus Spartacus!... I mean Reaper Reaper Reaper! (I joke, but my mental image of Darrow IS Liam McIntyre). Anyone who hasn't read it should give them a go, especially the audiobook versions. The narrator is absolutely fantastic and delivers the grand inspiring speeches extremely well.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I dunno, I just hope to gently caress that she looks like this:

I hope all the martian marines are obese women.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm just finishing up Neil Asher's new book Dark Intelligence: Transformation, and despite having read all his other work (ages ago, that's my issue) I'm finding myself a bit confused by some of the background. Could anyone give me a quick rundown on Penny Royal's history prior to the book?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

am0kgonzo posted:

I hope all the martian marines are obese women.
Call me crazy, but I doubt SyFy is subversive enough to cast a character described in text as a scaled up Polynesian beach babe with an obese actress.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

I'm just finishing up Neil Asher's new book Dark Intelligence: Transformation, and despite having read all his other work (ages ago, that's my issue) I'm finding myself a bit confused by some of the background. Could anyone give me a quick rundown on Penny Royal's history prior to the book?

It is apparently set 100 years after the events of Orbus. Asher did an AMA a couple of days ago.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral posted:

It is apparently set 100 years after the events of Orbus. Asher did an AMA a couple of days ago.

He has apparently already written the rest of the trilogy and is done with it at about the same time as the first book is published.
Talk about work ethic.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So I read all that's been published of The Last Angel that was recommended a few months back. It had an interesting start but the world building really falls apart for me. Like Humans are getting their asses kicked and exterminated across the galaxy but manage to come up with no less than 5 huge breakthroughs at the same time. I was hoping that it was going to be revealed that The original species went full AI and was supplying humans tech but nothing like that hinted at yet. Also maybe it's just the comparison it was setting up with David Weber's universe but I felt like going Excalibur Alternative would have just made more sense. You know the expansion route of the species, go to a spot they won't be hit for 500-1000 years, and genetically engineer up another trillion humans with enough Dreadnoughts to match.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up a new space opera book at the store this morning, Impulse by Dave Bara, and after trying to sit down to start reading it I had to put the book down after page ten due to the horrendously clunky writing and rapid-fire volley of space opera cliches. Space feudalism, check. Protagonist is the only surviving son of the fleet admiral and duke, check. Planetary monarchy is the result of a rebellion against an evil corporate empire, check. Earth is a mysterious lost world with hyper-advanced technology, check. Protagonist's first and only girlfriend was killed in the mysterious incident that started the plot, check. Protagonist is an ensign awaiting his first space duty but is now put in command of the royal flagship, check.

If this is what to expect from the book, this is going to be a slog.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I hear ya. I've been trying out Kindle Unlimited and the Space Opera there is dire. I can't get into it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
British space opera, best space opera :colbert:

• Locked thread