Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Glitterbomber posted:

So would it be best for a new player to wait until third edition drops, or should I hop in whenever and just upgrade the core book? Gotta say it's nice how they're doing the free upgrade and all though, that's a classy move.

I don't have the big rulebook, but I think I'm going to buy it just for the mini book in 3rd. I don't want to wait for an Open Fire! type set.

Hopefully the binding will be better on their 294-page minibook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Glitterbomber posted:

So would it be best for a new player to wait until third edition drops, or should I hop in whenever and just upgrade the core book? Gotta say it's nice how they're doing the free upgrade and all though, that's a classy move.

Much as people moan about Bttlefront wanting to be like GW< it has to be said that most of the time they seem to act in a pretty decent way.

Saying that I still think its a poo poo rule system! :p

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Honestly if anyone is going the GW route it's Privateer. :(

That said, could you be more specific about what you don't like in Flames? I'm just getting into it and full of new-game love, but I'd like to know what the criticisms are before I buy it a ring.

There's the points thing, and I've heard that it has some historical glitches. And it feels a bit distasteful at times, since people are still alive who fought this thing for real.

I'm looking at it as an attempt to recreate a rad war movie rather than specific actual battles. Filtered through that lens, most of my problems with it evaporated.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

Honestly if anyone is going the GW route it's Privateer. :(

That said, could you be more specific about what you don't like in Flames? I'm just getting into it and full of new-game love, but I'd like to know what the criticisms are before I buy it a ring.

There's the points thing, and I've heard that it has some historical glitches. And it feels a bit distasteful at times, since people are still alive who fought this thing for real.

I'm looking at it as an attempt to recreate a rad war movie rather than specific actual battles. Filtered through that lens, most of my problems with it evaporated.

I would say it leans towards "war movie" over "historical accuracy", but it's not exactly inaccurate. And I happen to like points.

I'm hoping the new edition is easier to read through, although at 294 pages of rules, that seems unlikely. There are a lot of rules to take in, and they're not always organized in an easy-to-follow manner.

Overall, though, it's a great introduction to historicals for non-historical players, and it's readily available. Those are huge plusses.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
From what I understand, Red Bear and Grey Wolf are already V3 so if you are interested at all in Eastern Front stuff its safe to buy them. Both books are awesome.

Flames of war is a solid war game that happens to be WWII themed. It is set up so that you can play any army against any other (as long as they are from the same period, though even this is flexible) so me and some random other guy I've never meet can sit down and play without a lot of prep work.

This seems to irk more traditional war gamers (especially WWII ones) because historically, battles between evenly matched (at least in theory) forces never happen and you can get very un-historical match ups like the game I played last night. A doubles game where my Hungarian Armor and an allied army of Finnish Infantry crushed two American Armor players in (judging from the terrain we were playing on) Italy.

Then as far as the rules go I personally would like it better if you alternated phases in a turn like how Axis and Allies miniatures is set up. Its a small thing though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got Red Bear today and went through it. I can say that if this is how 3rd Edition is going to be, I'm going to be a big fan of 3rd Edition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm pretty torn between Black Powder and Flames of War to start in on. I plan to play both because they both tingle different parts of me being a big nerd, but I need to kinda pick one first due to money and time and all. It's sounding like FoW is where I should start out with for ability to play the most games and all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Money was actually a factor in my going with Flames. Plastic Soldier Company makes most of the common vehicles in plastic, and recently started German and Russian infantry boxes of 100 men for around $30 USD.

Old Glory's 15mm Command Decision are an insane bargain. They charge $10-$15 for a mixed bag of ~50 well-sculpted infantry poses, which is about 1/4 what you'd pay for equivalent Battlefront ones.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm tempted to play Romanian so I can play both sides, but I can't get Old Glory infantry for them. I don't suppose Russians can do in a pinch with the right paint job?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Play I ain't been shot Mum. Much better. Convert all your local FOW players. It's for the greater good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

I'm pretty torn between Black Powder and Flames of War to start in on. I plan to play both because they both tingle different parts of me being a big nerd, but I need to kinda pick one first due to money and time and all. It's sounding like FoW is where I should start out with for ability to play the most games and all.

FoW is probably better to start out with, yes. BP is a great game, but you'll probably have to buy two (or more) armies just so you can lend them to friends to play with.

Serotonin posted:

Play I ain't been shot Mum. Much better. Convert all your local FOW players. It's for the greater good.

Stop being such a Grognard! :argh:

I am going to check that out, though. Is it better than BKC?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Serotonin posted:

I actually picked up the rules, and plan to basically use the Romanians for both systems.

Unfortunately I Ain't been shot Mum is a bit loosey-goosey with some of the rules as written, not as well-codified as a Flames of War, even though it has some neatness. Maybe i'm spoiled by games like FoW and Warmachine or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can I use FoW based models for the IABSM? This is strongly going to influence my interest.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

Can I use FoW based models for the IABSM? This is strongly going to influence my interest.

Absolutely.

Although it may be cheaper to use someone else's 15mm minis for FoW as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Colonial Air Force posted:

Absolutely.

Although it may be cheaper to use someone else's 15mm minis for FoW as well.

The only problem with FoW bases in IABSM is that you'll need to keep some chips around to count individual casualties since the bases for FoW are 3-4 men, and IABSM counts the number of men in a section for many things.

It also makes it more difficult to spread an infantry section out but you probably want to keep them together just to keep the game manageable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ugh..... I haven't even used my hardback OR softback book yet.... :effort:

Also my 105 battery arrived today. I don't know why the gently caress I keep buying this stuff when I'm the only one of my friends who has bothered to put an army together beyond 600 points.

More importantly, why is EVERY Battlefront pack I buy either broken or mispacked? Literally every single one is missing mans or parts or bases or something is miscast or broken :smith:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Really? I've only had a few things like that (the Open Fire! kit -always- has broken Schurzen).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Hey all, I am a Co-owner of a new start up wargaming/boardgame/cardgame store, and we offer substantial discounts to goons. If we were to stock Flames of War, could we count on goon support? We offer 15-22% discounts for goons (depending on product line)

You can find our SA-Mart thread here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455444

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Panzeh posted:

I actually picked up the rules, and plan to basically use the Romanians for both systems.

Unfortunately I Ain't been shot Mum is a bit loosey-goosey with some of the rules as written, not as well-codified as a Flames of War, even though it has some neatness. Maybe i'm spoiled by games like FoW and Warmachine or something.

Loosey goosey is good.
As the TooFatLardies always say, play the period not the rules.

Its a game that needs a GM to get the best from it. These days I much prefer GM led scenarios.

But yeah FOW basing works fine for IABSM, as well as for Blitzkrieg Commander. I plan on basing my 15mm stuff for IABSM as sections on FOW size bases and recording kills with counters/dice- a lot of games I play like Hail Caear and Black Powder etc take that stance and Im comfortable with it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Stop being such a Grognard! :argh:

I am going to check that out, though. Is it better than BKC?

I dunno, in some ways yes, but then again it scratches a different itch for me. IABSM is much more the scale of FOW- a company or so a side plus support, whereas BKC tends to be more of a battallion aside or so. IABSM like FOW is 1 to 1 too, whereas in BKC a tank/infantry stand usually represents a whole squad/platoon. Im going to basically use IABSM to scratch the large scale skirmish itch, as tbh I never quite feel comfortable with platoon level skirmish for WW2. Maybe its the rules Im playing, I dunno!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Have you tried converting Force on Force for it?

Really? I've only had a few things like that (the Open Fire! kit -always- has broken Schurzen).
Well this box today had two command teams, one man of the four man staff team with no table for his radio, a base that won't fit a staff team but WILL fit a command team *perfectly* despite being too large and it's down one of the four artillery bases. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but it's one of the fancy resin ones with poo poo on it.

I worry sometimes that I just have the worst luck ever, and they're going to decide I'm trying to scam them soon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

Hey all, I am a Co-owner of a new start up wargaming/boardgame/cardgame store, and we offer substantial discounts to goons. If we were to stock Flames of War, could we count on goon support? We offer 15-22% discounts for goons (depending on product line)

You can find our SA-Mart thread here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455444

I would definitely give you my support if you sold minis/terrain/&c. I'd like to buy.

Arquinsiel posted:

I worry sometimes that I just have the worst luck ever, and they're going to decide I'm trying to scam them soon.

Maybe it's Ireland.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

IABSM is reminding me a lot of Force on Force, in terms of no-point-buy, fog of war mechanics, and actual tactics vs game strategy.

That got me thinking about the FoF 1st edition WWII stuff that was cut from the Osprey edition. It was supposed to make it back on the site, and oh poo poo they're up already.

(Apparently Cold War Gone Hot is also out now.)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cold War Gone Hot is tempting me, but my gaming group just wont click with Force on Force. :(

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
All my friends just play 40K or WHFB. I'd kill for some FoF action.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oxford Comma posted:

All my friends just play 40K or WHFB. I'd kill for some FoF action.
You need to get yourself both sides of a conflict and start them on asymmetrical then just declare that you are running this now and they can play. Getting GW players to make that first jump to something else is hard because of the GW mindset.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

But when they do they are often very into it in my experience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure I count as the typical GW player, even though I have worked for them in a variety of capacities.

I was pretty into Battletech even before noticing GW products (outside of MB's stuff) and play that more than anything now that I actually have minis, rules and a group.

Psychic Fetus
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have any experience purchasing Eureka Miniatures for FoF? Especially from the US and if so has some pics for quality comparison with those of their website.

I'm borderline on ordering the SEAL TEAM Models and the Force Recon Marines to get my Ambush Alley going...

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is anyone familiar with Red Eagle? I like both WW1 and planes so its interesting to me. It looks nice and cheap and its at 20% off right now, so if anyone has any experience with it please let me know. thanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is anyone familiar with Red Eagle? I like both WW1 and planes so its interesting to me. It looks nice and cheap and its at 20% off right now, so if anyone has any experience with it please let me know. thanks.

We bought about half a dozen for our club to play Canvas Eagle. The biplanes go from ok to oh-my-god-if-this-falls-apart-again-I'll-trow-it-out-the-window. My French Nieuport 28 and Morane-Saulnier A11 were not that bad, but I also bought an AEG G IV bomber and I can only recommend it as a gift to your most hated enemies.

If you attach magnets to htem and combine them with telescopic stands, your dogfights will look awesome. And Canvas Eagle is a really fun game to boot (and free! http://www.eaglesmax.com/) that plays perfectly with 2-3 planes per side. So if you are curious I would recommend you to buy some planes, print a map if you don't have one and try it out.

E: here they are, fighting off some Germans

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 26, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Getting GW players to make that first jump to something else is hard because of the GW mindset.

For me, GW's spell was broken when I realized I could game with whatever figures I cared to use. This wasn't an easy revelation though, since after a decade of GW community conditioning "alternate figures" (for me) evoked images of giant anime girl heads, out-of-scale Ral Partha proxies, and Hello Kitty pink marines. I actually had to have explained to me that it was OK to use whatever figures I wanted to for Warmaster Ancients. I was completely unaware of how many excellent companies are out there because they had such a smaller a footprint than GW.

Cut to many years later, and I'm sculpting newsies hats onto 15mm ACW infantry to convert them into Soviet partisans. This is a success story.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Welp, Maelstrom have a sale on. I have some Xmas money. Time to start my IABSM project in 15mm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How are Warlord Games for replacing duff components ? I have a Wittman's Tiger from their Bolt Action range with a miscast track section. Returning it to the place of purchase is not an option.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Took delivery of my boxes of German and Russian 15mm plastic infantry from Plastic Soldier Company. Really good service from Maelstrom seeing as I ordered 2 days ago! Pretty impressed with them, these are my first 15mm ww2 as I normally do 10mm, but the quality of these is really good and the price (after discount) worked out as £28 for 260 figures! Biggest complain is one or two of the poses are a little off- the grenade throwing Russian for one, and the face detail is a little teeeny bit soft, but then again I dont care at this scale, as I wont be painting facial detail.

Flames of War players should check them out.

Here a couple of pics.

Now to work out how to base them. Part of me wants to base them 2 men to a 25mmsquare base as this will aid casualty removal in IABSM3, but if I multi base them 4 or 5 to a base I can also use them for Blitzkrieg Commander. My sensible head tells me multibasing is the way to go and to record kills with dice/counters.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

More thoughts after having based up 2 platoons worth.

Figures are great, Casts are pretty crisp and sculpts other than the really odd and flat grenade thrower are pretty decent. My only reservation is the odd troop choice.

They are billed as late war 43-45 Germans. Yet there are no Panzerfausts in the box, no assualt rifles, just Kars. Noone wearing camo smocks, although many of the heads have helmet covers. For me, doing early to mid war this box set has been great- Ive had to do a couple of head swaps (very easy to do with plastics) to get rid of the figures with the caps on, and it only took a second with a small needle file and a sharp scalpel to carve away any evidence of helmet covers.

Personally these have worked out great, especially at the price of £14 a box.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Serotonin posted:

More thoughts after having based up 2 platoons worth.

Figures are great, Casts are pretty crisp and sculpts other than the really odd and flat grenade thrower are pretty decent. My only reservation is the odd troop choice.

They are billed as late war 43-45 Germans. Yet there are no Panzerfausts in the box, no assualt rifles, just Kars. Noone wearing camo smocks, although many of the heads have helmet covers. For me, doing early to mid war this box set has been great- Ive had to do a couple of head swaps (very easy to do with plastics) to get rid of the figures with the caps on, and it only took a second with a small needle file and a sharp scalpel to carve away any evidence of helmet covers.

Personally these have worked out great, especially at the price of £14 a box.

How are you going to explain the lack of pleated pockets and full boots in early war? Hmm? :colbert:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Noooooooo.

I promised not to be too grognardy over it, but then I found msyelf carving away helmet covers I resigned myself to what I am.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I picked up a box of their Russians last week, and I am very impressed with the sculpts and value. Unfortunately they're about 1mm too short, and the heads are just a tad too small to play well with the Peter Pig and Command Decision I've been using.

Then again, I haven't had time to paint them up yet - a uniform paint job may be enough to overshadow the small size differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah they are less 'cartoon' in their proportions than other makers. I am not going to worry too much personally. Just dont put differing manufactuers on the same base if it can be helped.
Plus for me, needing Big Men for IABSM (characters) having a few larger more charicature looking models will be no bad thing to make them stand out on the table.