Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

tynam posted:

If you want to be more consistent spergy, try timing your shaking/stirring and pour it out into your jigger/mixing cups to see how much water you generate from x amount of time.

At home I've got it down to 22-24 seconds of stirring or 12-13 seconds of hard shaking for the magic 1/4 water dilution number with room temperature liquors and glasses. I did this mainly so I have a controlled way to test cocktails during my gin journey, and it worked out pretty well. Now I can actively manage the cocktails to taste if I want a drink to be softer/sharper.

This is definitely important for consistency. I think it's why my friends never seem able to replicate the cocktails I make for them despite using the same recipe/ingredients. Oh well, keeps them coming over I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just got back from a date at a new place that specializes only in cocktails and will match you with a new one if you give them a listing of what you like and don't like. So I had a gold rush for the first time and I must say what a darn tasty drink!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Just got back from a date at a new place that specializes only in cocktails and will match you with a new one if you give them a listing of what you like and don't like. So I had a gold rush for the first time and I must say what a darn tasty drink!
If you liked that one try a Penicillin.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shifty Pony posted:

Funny. I just made myself one of those last night.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Got a bottle of Balvinie Doublewood scotch, not a big fan. It's sweet with no character, just not really fun to drink. I want to put it in a cocktail but I think it would be too flabby in a Rob Roy. Any thoughts on cocktails for a thin, sweet over priced single malt scotch?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Side note: just made a Last Word with Don Julio Anejo tequila. loving delicious, the herbal nature of the chartreuse blends well with the sweet "funk" of the tequila. It's way smoother and softer than a Last Word with gin, but equally as good. A bit of a thicker mouthfeel too, about to make another one. Only change is to up the tequila to 1.5 parts and leave everything else at 1 part. You don't want a smooth tequila to get lost.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

rxcowboy posted:

Got a bottle of Balvinie Doublewood scotch, not a big fan. It's sweet with no character, just not really fun to drink. I want to put it in a cocktail but I think it would be too flabby in a Rob Roy. Any thoughts on cocktails for a thin, sweet over priced single malt scotch?

It's a nice malt, so use it in a hot toddy. 2 oz. spirit, tsp. raw sugar, 3-5 oz. boiling water, scrape of nutmeg. The full body of the pot-stilled malt will really make it great.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

12yr? Makes one hell of a blood and sand if you use punt y mes for the vermouth.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Talk to me about vermouth.

I hate the taste of olives, and I've only ever tried Martini and Rossi vermouth and it tastes terrible. I hate martinis and anything else made with them.

Am I just drinking cheap vermouth, or does it all taste like salty, soured white wine?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

QuantumNinja posted:

I hate the taste of olives, and I've only ever tried Martini and Rossi vermouth and it tastes terrible. I hate martinis and anything else made with them.

Am I just drinking cheap vermouth, or does it all taste like salty, soured white wine?

Buy noilly Pratt for dry, Martini Rossi for sweet. I had to pour my bottle of MR dry out, it was that bad.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

It shouldn't taste salty, that's for sure. Are you sure that's not just the olives? Also, lots of people do a lemon twist instead of olives for a martini (myself included, because I also do not like olives). If you want to try some nice vermouth, get a small bottle of Vya, Dolin, or Noilly Prat and remember to keep it in the fridge once opened. Worse comes to worst and you end up not liking it you can always cook with it. Dolin Blanc isn't really a typical french vermouth, as it's lightly sweet, but it's really delicious just served over some ice with a lemon twist.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So we have lots of various booze threads (whiskey, rum) that I very much enjoy, but we are missing a cognac thread, and I have cognac questions.

My fiance is a beer snob who likes cognac (and good rums, like Ron Zacapa). I'd like to get him a bottle of something awesome for Christmas. I'm waffling between a straight up bottle of Ron Zacapa or Zaya (which run $50ish and $35 respectively at my local booze shop) or getting ambitious with a new cognac. I feel pretty comfortable selecting a rum, but I'm not certain about cognac, particularly when it comes to bang-for-buck for a fairly casual and unrefined palate. We both enjoy Courvorsier while out, and I've bought him two bottles of the Remy Martin 1738 which he has enjoyed, but I'm curious if I should look for something else / something more. Ultimately, we're just looking for something to sip--not make cocktails with, no ice, just put it in a snifter and enjoy. Boozegoons, help?

Edit: in particular I was thinking about springing for some Hennessy Black (which was like $70) or the Remy Martin VSOP gift set (which costs as much as a regular bottle of Remy Martin VSOP, like $45, but comes with pretty glasses).

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 11, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Remy VSOP is fine as a sipper. You may also want to see if you can find some Chalfonte VSOP which is pretty nice and unexpected.

And I keep meaning to do up a brandy thread.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Remy VSOP is fine as a sipper. You may also want to see if you can find some Chalfonte VSOP which is pretty nice and unexpected.

I'd read it. I really need to try some.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

For cognac I cannot recommend Pierre Ferrand enough. It's rich and fragrant, very full on the palate. It has these striking dried fig and walnut notes that totally rule. Quite distinctive compared to the major houses too – I love it. A bottle of their standard bottling (I can't remember what it's called) is like $44 bucks here in California, and you can find it at BevMo (sometimes), or at specialty liquor dealers.

QuantumNinja posted:

Track down some Dolin and/or some Vya to see what vermouth can really do for a cocktail. It's quite remarkable how good they are. The price premium is absolutely worth it, especially if you can find half bottles.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Kenning posted:

Track down some Dolin and/or some Vya to see what vermouth can really do for a cocktail. It's quite remarkable how good they are. The price premium is absolutely worth it, especially if you can find half bottles.

In PA, you can get a small bottle of Martini and Rossi dry vermouth for $5, or a gigantic bottle of Noilly-Prat for $9-10. I always buy the big bottle of NP; what I use before it goes bad is worth more to me than the little bottle of Rossi.

Regarding sweet vermouth, is it okay to recommend Carpano Antica Formula, or is it cheating? I don't care, I'll drink it all day. It's great in a vermouth cocktail (4oz sweet vermouth, .5oz maraschino, few dashes orange bitters. Stir with ice and strain into your glass of choice. I think it was in Imbibe!, but I don't remember.) It's also great out of the bottle.

Alas, the vermouth options in PA are really limited. Carpano and Noilly Prat and a bunch of cheap crap at the store, Dolin and Vya available exclusively online, and that's it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Okay--I may see if I can get that, but the cognac is a bit thin on the ground at my local liquor store; might have to go out to a bigger one, but it's worth the trip. And I would totally bookmark that thread, I know nothing about brandy and would like to know more.

Kenning posted:

For cognac I cannot recommend Pierre Ferrand enough. It's rich and fragrant, very full on the palate. It has these striking dried fig and walnut notes that totally rule. Quite distinctive compared to the major houses too – I love it. A bottle of their standard bottling (I can't remember what it's called) is like $44 bucks here in California, and you can find it at BevMo (sometimes), or at specialty liquor dealers.

I have actually drunk a TON of Pierre Ferrand because one of my friends loves it and brings a bottle of the stuff to every party he goes to and then just leaves it there. I might try to find a special bottling at the bigger better liquor store, maybe--any special bottlings / varieties you recommend? (Preferably ones that clock in under $70? I live in Boston so the taxes and prices tend to be fairly steep.)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pop up to a New Hampshire liquor outlet. We have cheap booze and the border store are generally well stocked. They even have a decent website that you can use to search for brandy/cognac and check location availability if anything piques your interest. The brandy selection isn't stellar, but has some solid offerings.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Pop up to a New Hampshire liquor outlet. We have cheap booze and the border store are generally well stocked. They even have a decent website that you can use to search for brandy/cognac and check location availability if anything piques your interest. The brandy selection isn't stellar, but has some solid offerings.

I wish--I'm one of those horrible goons who doesn't own a car and, worse, doesn't know how to drive. Commence E/N style shaming as you wish.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It was 20 degrees out and snowing yesterday as I walked a mile to work having sold my car to fund a rifle and put money toward a road bike :v:

Bus is not an option? I would assume someone runs a shuttle to Salem at least around Christmas shopping season.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I miiiiiight try to see if I can con one of my friends into finishing up our xmas shopping in NH. I've just gotta figure out how to make it worth the gas for her.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No sales tax, cheap booze, plaid, scenic urban sprawl :v:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Road head?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
My wife picked up a bottle of Creme De Violette yesterday. Other than the Aviation cocktail (which is out because of her weird aversion to cherries), is there anything else it's good for?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Road head?

Change my answer to this.

Cavenagh posted:

My wife picked up a bottle of Creme De Violette yesterday. Other than the Aviation cocktail (which is out because of her weird aversion to cherries), is there anything else it's good for?

Put some in a gin fizz.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
This may be heresy in this thread, but are there any good non-alcoholic punch recipes for a daytime work party?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Peel a bunch of lemons, muddle the peels in, say, 2 cups of sugar, and let sit for a few hours. Mix in the fresh lemon juice (also 2 cups) and stir to combine. Strain out the peels, and give the whole thing quite a few hefty shakes of Angostura bitters (quite a few, like 12-15+), until it catches the taste. This is your shrub. When it comes time to serve, add somewhere in the vicinity of 2 quarts of sparkling water. It shouldn't be watery, but it's better to be a little bit more dilute than potently sweet and sour. Toss in an ice block if you're feeling cheeky.

pgroce posted:

Regarding sweet vermouth, is it okay to recommend Carpano Antica Formula, or is it cheating? I don't care, I'll drink it all day. It's great in a vermouth cocktail (4oz sweet vermouth, .5oz maraschino, few dashes orange bitters. Stir with ice and strain into your glass of choice. I think it was in Imbibe!, but I don't remember.) It's also great out of the bottle.

Carpano is cheating when it comes to cocktail design. But it's definitely worth someone's while to buy a bottle and see what the fuss is about cause the poo poo is goddamn delicious.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I have actually drunk a TON of Pierre Ferrand because one of my friends loves it and brings a bottle of the stuff to every party he goes to and then just leaves it there. I might try to find a special bottling at the bigger better liquor store, maybe--any special bottlings / varieties you recommend? (Preferably ones that clock in under $70? I live in Boston so the taxes and prices tend to be fairly steep.)

I've only had their standard bottling, but I'm sure the fancier expressions would be nice. You may also consider buying a nice Armagnac. While they're harder to find, you can get very nice stuff dollar per dollar with Cognac, since Armagnac has much less name recognition.

Cavenagh posted:

Have you tried maraschino? It doesn't really taste like cherries at all. It's a maceration of cherries, pits, and stems, and has a lot more of the nutty, funky cherry pit taste.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Kenning posted:

Peel a bunch of lemons

Awesome, thankyou. Would 10 lemons be a good starting point? More or less?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, it's lemon season so they'll prolly be pretty juicy. I'd get 12 at minimum, and make sure you use a good juicer.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I just got 25 oz lemon juice from 12 lemons. These are lame non-organic supermarket lemons.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Of course there's nothing wrong with having extra lemon juice.

On a related note, Seville oranges are back in season! So early this year! My roommate is having a birthday party on the 20th and we're gonna make a huuuuuuuuuge batch of orange punch! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

edit: I love orange punch.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kenning posted:

Of course there's nothing wrong with having extra lemon juice.

On a related note, Seville oranges are back in season! So early this year! My roommate is having a birthday party on the 20th and we're gonna make a huuuuuuuuuge batch of orange punch! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

edit: I love orange punch.

How about a orange punch recipe? :) My wife is huge into punches and we're trying to figure out something to take to a NYE party...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I posted one just about a year ago, and I stand by it wholeheartedly. I'll be making a big, big batch on the 20th.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Are these in at Berkeley Bowl? I was just figuring out which punch to make this year, and it was likely going to be a giant batch of Admiral Russell's. I might make a small batch of each in this case.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They were at Berkeley Bowl West today around 7. Red letter day. Admiral Russell's is a year-round punch. Make K&A's Orange!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also marmot you wanna roll up to Richmond for some punch on the 20th? It's near the del Norte BART for convenience's sake. There will be lots of people there, no one will look askance at some weirdo from the internet.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Oh drat--that would be aces but we're heading back to the midwest to see family on the 17th. Thanks for the invite! I'm down for some punch in the new year whenever you have another shindig.

I'll make a beeline for Berkeley Bowl West tomorrow for Saturday's punch. Funnily enough, I was just about to ask you this afternoon if the bitter orange season had started yet since they didn't have them as of last Sunday. It's a midwinter punch miracle! There's a certain poetry to it--about a decade ago I was running around Seville, drunk at 4am, throwing naranjas amargas at my friends.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Anyone ever worked with Scrappy's Lavender or Cardamom Bitters? I'm trying to work with them in some drinks and I have one that doesn't want to work out.

2 oz Vodka
0.5 oz St. Germain
0.25 Honey Simple Syrup (1:1 ratio honey:water)
0.5 Orange Juice
1 Dash Lavender Bitters

It's ok, tried it first without the O.J. and the Lavender was so overpowering, added the O.J. and the citrus cut it a bit but now it tastes too much like liquor. I'm not even sure what to use the Cardamom with yet.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Duey posted:

Anyone ever worked with Scrappy's Lavender or Cardamom Bitters? I'm trying to work with them in some drinks and I have one that doesn't want to work out.

2 oz Vodka
0.5 oz St. Germain
0.25 Honey Simple Syrup (1:1 ratio honey:water)
0.5 Orange Juice
1 Dash Lavender Bitters

It's ok, tried it first without the O.J. and the Lavender was so overpowering, added the O.J. and the citrus cut it a bit but now it tastes too much like liquor. I'm not even sure what to use the Cardamom with yet.

Replace the vodka with a gin that isn't juniper heavy, like Bluecoat or even New Amsterdam. Replace the oj with Lime juice, and you might have something good.

Side note: Made a Rob Roy with Highland Park 12. GODDAMN. It's sweet, it's smokey, it's a little bitter, it's drat near perfect. I think a top of the line vermouth and an Islay scotch and this would be one mean drink. I added a splash of marachino liqueur and it was drat near amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Sipping on a Highland 12 OF as we speak. Great drunks think alike (it is also cold as hell in NYC).