Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was going to ask who the gently caress uses 'oriental' but then again it's Britain First so that answers that question.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

It literally constitutes racist abuse in the US when applied to a person, not in the UK though, so we'll have to find something else to stick them for :v:.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, you can tell they were scared for their safety by the way they filmed their friend sucker punching a drunk guy who could barely stand. :rolleyes:

i can't read minds through youtube like you can.
but that's not at all unreasonable. people get their phones out for video all the time now as defensive measure in scary situations. it's either proof later of the aggressor's actions or a deterrent to him escalating.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cerv posted:

i can't read minds through youtube like you can.
It just takes a little bit of practice.

Although if you haven't got time to learn Jedi mind tricks, you could always try observing body language and tone of voice. It's not half as much fun as reading minds through youtube I admit, but it kinda works.

Cerv posted:

but that's not at all unreasonable. people get their phones out for video all the time now as defensive measure in scary situations. it's either proof later of the aggressor's actions or a deterrent to him escalating.
People also get their phones out for video all the time in anticipation of committing or seeing violent acts committed. People film everything nowadays. At best, the mere fact that they were filming isn't an indication of their state of mind either way.

It's not unreasonable to point out that no one in that video looked or acted like they were scared when it's brought up as a possible justification for what happened.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Racist. Bigot. Tomayto. Tomahto.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could have used a less stereotypical white Muslim.

(They could also not be complete pricks, but one step at a time. I wonder if they even know that there are white Muslims that aren't converts.)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I didn't! Can you elaborate a bit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tias posted:

Bosniaks are Slavic Muslims that have lived in Bosnia since it was part of the Ottoman Empire, and have remained distinct as an ethnic group through occupation by Austria-Hungary, Federation with Yugoslavia, etc. Their main difference with the Orthodox Serbs (and other groups in the region) is a religious/cultural one. They generally belong to the Sunni branch of Islam although like with Indonesians there are cultural differences between them and what the West generally considers a Sunni Muslim.

That's Enver Marić in the picture, a Bosnian goalkeeper. I have no idea to what extent he practices any religion, but it extends further than just practicing religion, so the old Irish joke about "well, are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?" seems to apply.

I had a friend who is white, looks 'western', and still follows some of the cultural parts of the Islamic faith, and occasionally got "what do you think about those loving Muslims?" comments from EDL-type assholes, so it's pretty clear that most of them are still thinking about a brown Middle Eastern or Pakistani person with a beard when they talk this poo poo, regardless of how much "not racist!" they shout.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tias posted:

It's hard to elaborate about something as nebulous as race, you can define terms like white or black to be as narrow or as broad as you feel like.

Discounting converts in Western Europe having kids and raising them as Muslim... Eastern Europe and the Baltics have had huge Muslim born populations for hundreds and hundreds of years. Are they white enough for you?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Bosniaks are Slavic Muslims that have lived in Bosnia since it was part of the Ottoman Empire, and have remained distinct as an ethnic group through occupation by Austria-Hungary, Federation with Yugoslavia, etc. Their main difference with the Orthodox Serbs (and other groups in the region) is a religious/cultural one. They generally belong to the Sunni branch of Islam although like with Indonesians there are cultural differences between them and what the West generally considers a Sunni Muslim.

That's Enver Marić in the picture, a Bosnian goalkeeper. I have no idea to what extent he practices any religion, but it extends further than just practicing religion, so the old Irish joke about "well, are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?" seems to apply.

I had a friend who is white, looks 'western', and still follows some of the cultural parts of the Islamic faith, and occasionally got "what do you think about those loving Muslims?" comments from EDL-type assholes, so it's pretty clear that most of them are still thinking about a brown Middle Eastern or Pakistani person with a beard when they talk this poo poo, regardless of how much "not racist!" they shout.

Ohh right. I knew about yugo christians, went to school with an albanian girl whose family was targeted for their faith. Guess I just have Stupid Euro syndrome where I don't consider automatically consider other caucasians white :eng99:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Byolante posted:

I am glad that we are celebrating people making potentially fatal attacks on OAPs in kebab shops because they said something rude.

It's important to remember that provocation gives you free reign to do whatever you like. That's why we get to blame rape victims for being drunk and shoot burglars who are trying to steal your nintendo

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tongues posted:

It's important to remember that provocation gives you free reign to do whatever you like. That's why we get to blame rape victims for being drunk and shoot burglars who are trying to steal your nintendo

Next time you say something mean about Stoke I am going to run you over with a lawnmower.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Byolante posted:

Next time you say something mean about Stoke I am going to run you over with a lawnmower.

One time my girlfriend left the car radio on too loud and it startled me on my way to work so I drove the car off a cliff

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
So this is a thing http://www.vice.com/read/british-nationalists-cross-burning-736?utm_source=vicetwitterus

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hot fash on fash action in Rotherham. EDL scuffled with nazis, with confused police in the middle.

http://antifascistnetwork.org/2014/09/15/scum-on-filth-on-scum-report-of-edl-demo-in-rotherham/

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Racist. Bigot. Tomayto. Tomahto.

Then your definition of bigot is meaningless. It's like the US and "terrorist" or Russia and "Fascist". If someone starts a religion that eats pies filled with poo poo because the invisible poo poo pie god told them to, a person should be allowed to call them idiots. This would make them bigots. What does that actually mean? In this case bigot means "someone who thinks the poo poo pie eaters are idiots".

I agree that everyone should be allowed to practice a religion without harassment but the idea that it is somehow automatically negative to disagree with the entire concept of a specific religion i.e "this poo poo is retarded" is intellectually bankrupt. Now one could argue, and often do, that those who insult Islam are often doing so for racist reasons and using "hatred of religion" as a cover. But you didn't argue that. You accepted the claim that the dislike was targeted at the religion and not the individuals or their race. And then you decried it anyway. I feel it is dangerous for any religion to become safe from criticism. Even petty insults. This doesn't mean I think that you can shout things at people in the street. That's an issue that extends beyond religion. Harassment is bad full stop. If stealth racism is such a possibility then unfortunately the solution is to tackle each and every case individually. It's almost as if context is everything.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not sure you know what bigotry is.

It's not 'thinking someone with different beliefs' are stupid, it's a deep grained indoctrinated fear and prejudice over something that literally does not matter

I mean, if someone's religion affects you in a meaningful way that has an actual negative influence on your day to day existence, then such prejudice may not be entirely unfounded. For the vast majority of people, a Muslim praying to Mecca five times a day doesn't actually harm them unless they consider the entire concept offensive to begin with, in which case it's not really a problem with the Muslim, is it?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Just found out the EDL are planing a march down Whitehall on Saturday. Initial reactions were 'the EDL still exist?' and 'Christ that's going to be a shitshow'

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

Crameltonian posted:

Just found out the EDL are planing a march down Whitehall on Saturday. Initial reactions were 'the EDL still exist?' and 'Christ that's going to be a shitshow'

Nah, they will just stand around drinking in the Red Lion until a couple of them get arrested, just like last time.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

or Halfway To Heaven, up until the point they realise they're accidentally in a gay bar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Regarde Aduck posted:

Then your definition of bigot is meaningless. It's like the US and "terrorist" or Russia and "Fascist". If someone starts a religion that eats pies filled with poo poo because the invisible poo poo pie god told them to, a person should be allowed to call them idiots. This would make them bigots. What does that actually mean? In this case bigot means "someone who thinks the poo poo pie eaters are idiots".

I agree that everyone should be allowed to practice a religion without harassment but the idea that it is somehow automatically negative to disagree with the entire concept of a specific religion i.e "this poo poo is retarded" is intellectually bankrupt. Now one could argue, and often do, that those who insult Islam are often doing so for racist reasons and using "hatred of religion" as a cover. But you didn't argue that. You accepted the claim that the dislike was targeted at the religion and not the individuals or their race. And then you decried it anyway. I feel it is dangerous for any religion to become safe from criticism. Even petty insults. This doesn't mean I think that you can shout things at people in the street. That's an issue that extends beyond religion. Harassment is bad full stop. If stealth racism is such a possibility then unfortunately the solution is to tackle each and every case individually. It's almost as if context is everything.

Okay, I'm going to have to go with Ddraig here and say that you may just not know what bigotry is.

But that's not helpful to anyone and leaves us standing still. So, before we go further and argue past each other, perhaps you could tell me what you think bigotry mean?

I'm using a simple definition you can find in most dictionaries. Of course, for many concepts, the dictionary is the place where you start and the definition they give might not be the one which is best to use. But all things being equal, it's a good place to start.

Wikipedia posted:

Bigotry is a state of mind where a person holds stubborn and complete views regarding other groups with fear, distrust, prejudice or hatred solely on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics.

This is how I was using the term. When a group like Britain First comes out and starts saying horrible poo poo about people, I am less than well inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt of being intellectually honest and acting without with irrational prejudice and hate.

It was through this lens I looked at their Facebook post saying it's okay to hate Muslims because it's not technically racist and made my retort. I would have gone with 'prejudiced' instead of 'bigot' but the latter term can roll off the tongue with a lot more force.

It's the different between calling someone a "fornicator" and a "fucker", if you will. And Britain First are truly a bunch of fuckers.

So, what is a bigot to you?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 17, 2014

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmb36nV_cZY

A really interesting and extremely biased British documentary about Anti-racist, and anti-fascist organisations. With great quotes such as "Anti-Nazism had won over anti-racism" (when people try to attack the BNP, instead of marching peacefully :psyduck:), and an anonymous silhouetted interview with someone who claims to be scared of reprisals by the SWP, of all people :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

Aye, looks like the gormless little shite didn't learn:

It's apparently an active church in Carlisle.

The church in my town got turned into a nightclub.

And then closed down.

Wonder if that's better or worse than Mosque to the EDL?

I might be getting my headgear wrong, but the guy in the top right looks like a Sikh, not a Muslim.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Isn't being scared of reprisal by the SWP like being scared of reprisal by CutCo sellers, except slightly less scary since CutCo sellers have lovely knives instead of lovely newspapers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't being scared of reprisal by the SWP like being scared of reprisal by CutCo sellers, except slightly less scary since CutCo sellers have lovely knives instead of lovely newspapers?

Assuming you're not young, female, and alone in a room with the SWP member in question.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

And then closed down.

Wonder if that's better or worse than Mosque to the EDL?
The state religion of the EDL appears to be getting drunk and fighting then getting arrested, so a small town nightclub is the best option.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

OwlFancier posted:

And then closed down.

Wonder if that's better or worse than Mosque to the EDL

Not really related to EDL chat but you're not talking about old Elements nightclub in Bedford are you? Otherwise the same thing happening to two churches is a bit of a laugh

Been lurking but the threads been mostly great, keep up the good fight lads

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zero Star posted:

The fascist Britain First group has started a manhunt for Anjem Choudary, aka the guy supposedly responsible for brainwashing the Woolwich killers. The idea is that people give their names, email addresses and phone numbers, along with any information they might have as to his whereabouts.

Naturally there's a counter-measure campaign to flood the site with as many fake entries as possible. :v:

Easiest manhunt ever, now that he's allegedly been arrested already.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11120438/Anjem-Choudary-among-nine-men-arrested-by-counter-terror-police.html

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Odds on Britain First trying to claim that they were the ones that did it?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IceAgeComing posted:

Paul Golding and a bunch of others were arrested/had their homes raided earlier this week - so I reckon they've got other things on their minds right now.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

:toot:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Not really related to EDL chat but you're not talking about old Elements nightclub in Bedford are you? Otherwise the same thing happening to two churches is a bit of a laugh

Been lurking but the threads been mostly great, keep up the good fight lads

Sup fellow Bedfordian, that night club will forever be called Mission to me.

I went to a Pitcher and Piano in Nottingham that was in a church, and there's an all you can eat Chinese in one in Derby, with the desserts where the alter should be.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bozza posted:

I went to a Pitcher and Piano in Nottingham that was in a church, and there's an all you can eat Chinese in one in Derby, with the desserts where the alter should be.

Now this is a church I can get behind.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Aberdeen alone has 4 former churches that act as bars/nightclubs that I can think of, there's probably more I'm forgetting. The Priory, Slain's Castle, Soul Bar, and Triplekirks. It's really not uncommon.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Leeds has a nightclub and the university's business school in converted churches.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm fairly sure that one of those is a sin.

Unless a guy wearing a sheet bursts in and starts smacking business undergrads with a switch every few years.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Puntification posted:

Leeds has a nightclub and the university's business school in converted churches.

Ah, Halo, its reputation proceeds it.

It very almost got shut down last week. A club night called Tequila got kicked out of its original club, ostensibly for H&S violations from free-pouring (in reality, it was more the fact that they ran a promotion called "Freshers Violation"). The council then indicated that any club who took Tequila in would also get H&S checks.

I'm pretty sure that the Academy in Leeds is also a converted church. Lots of them around the city.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Ah, Halo, its reputation proceeds it.

It very almost got shut down last week. A club night called Tequila got kicked out of its original club, ostensibly for H&S violations from free-pouring (in reality, it was more the fact that they ran a promotion called "Freshers Violation"). The council then indicated that any club who took Tequila in would also get H&S checks.

I'm pretty sure that the Academy in Leeds is also a converted church. Lots of them around the city.

Yeah it did seem that way. Man there were so many lovely clubs with dodgy practices - just before I left, there was an article in one of the local papers about one of the clubs, it was storing drain cleaner in a bottle of aftershock for some reason and hospitalised some patrons after serving it by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IceAgeComing posted:

Quoting again because, apparently, they actually did it. And then, about two hours later, someone from the edl intelligence division :v: claimed they did it.

http://edlnews.co.uk/featured-stories/derek-fender-corner/1375-the-battle-of-the-far-right-con-men-the-edl-intelligence-team-speak-out

They also claimed that they ( edl intdiv ) were responsible for the raids of Britian First homes this week. :popcorn:

• Locked thread