Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Peter's A plan was for Malia to kill Scott so she'd become an alpha. Kind of sweet in a really hosed up away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Peter's A plan was for Malia to kill Scott so she'd become an alpha. Kind of sweet in a really hosed up away.

It's really weird, but this is kind of the redeeming factor in his character for me. He didn't even want the power for himself; he just wanted it back in the family. Maybe Peter will get 'HALE 4 LYFE' tattooed on him with a blowtorch while he's in prison.

I liked this episode, but I'm still really miffed about their last-minute flubbing of Scott. I mean, they had an absolutely immaculate set-up for a truly great character moment, only to snatch it away from him at the last second. Episode upon episode of build-up for Scott facing his inner monster, only for the battle to be taken out of his hands entirely and placed upon his friends. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but it's worth repeating; the most frustrating kind of television in the world is television that's almost good. You've gotta stick the loving landing on these things. :argh:

Oh well. At least it was cool seeing him punch the poo poo out of Peter. :black101:

This season expanded the show's universe in some pretty cool ways if they can be bothered to follow up on it. I want to see Satomi giving Scott alpha-lessons. She's obviously a pretty good one because her pack before this season was huge. And Arkham House/Eichen Asylum just opens the door to so many possibilities, even though it makes no goddamn sense that they had a monster-floor the entire time and decided not to lock the Nogitsune in it. Yeah, whatever, show. :rolleyes: I'll accept it as long as you do something cool with it.

And I really really really like Liam. :3: He's the perfect little brother to Scott and Stiles.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

And I really really really like Liam. :3: He's the perfect little brother to Scott and Stiles.

I was a little on the fence with him and the new faces this season because it was starting to feel like Teen Wolf: The Next Generation. But Mason has been pretty awesome although he pretty much was just Danny 2.0, and Liam (maybe because he's actually the age that he's acting) really does seem like Scott's adopted (though ever volatile) kid brother that's in way over his head with all this supernatural business.

Gonna have to add in the worst moment of the finale here. Besides Lydia being nearly nonexistent, Were-Peter hurling a wooden table at Liam is what caused Scott to stop getting his rear end kicked? Dude, that's not gonna hurt 'lil bro. And someone really needs to take slow motion out of Jeff Davis's hands. It loses its effectiveness when you use it in every action scene.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I thought Peter told Malia on the 5 minute ride to Mexico that you couldn't steal a true alphas power? Did I hallucinate that?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Big props to the actress that plays Kate for keeping a straight face during that scene where she's getting nuzzled to death by wolf-Derek.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Spergatory posted:

It's really weird, but this is kind of the redeeming factor in his character for me. He didn't even want the power for himself; he just wanted it back in the family. Maybe Peter will get 'HALE 4 LYFE' tattooed on him with a blowtorch while he's in prison.

That, and you could totally see the 'NOT AS PLANNED' feeling he was giving off when he saw Derek dying. He truly loves his family.

quote:

I liked this episode, but I'm still really miffed about their last-minute flubbing of Scott. I mean, they had an absolutely immaculate set-up for a truly great character moment, only to snatch it away from him at the last second. Episode upon episode of build-up for Scott facing his inner monster, only for the battle to be taken out of his hands entirely and placed upon his friends. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but it's worth repeating; the most frustrating kind of television in the world is television that's almost good. You've gotta stick the loving landing on these things. :argh:

And i'll repeat that THIS was the whole point of the season- that Scott has decided to stop trying to be the hero but instead just settled in the role of the defender. So he leaves the 'hero' stuff to Stiles and Lydia (E.G, discovering the enemies plot and twarthing them) and just does what he does best, defending his charges.

That you are somehow ignoring the whole point of the Benefactor plot and what Derek wanted from it is a bit sad.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Arkeus posted:

And i'll repeat that THIS was the whole point of the season- that Scott has decided to stop trying to be the hero but instead just settled in the role of the defender. So he leaves the 'hero' stuff to Stiles and Lydia (E.G, discovering the enemies plot and twarthing them) and just does what he does best, defending his charges.

That you are somehow ignoring the whole point of the Benefactor plot and what Derek wanted from it is a bit sad.

Ummm... what? What does any of that have to do with Scott's character development around him having an actual literal monster inside of him that has crazy violent urges that it was repeatedly hinted he was having a harder and harder time controlling? Who said anything about Scott's role in the group dynamic? And what does Derek have to do with anything? Are you sure you replied to the right post? :raise:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
This show is insultingly lazy. One dumb line from Liam and Scott is fine? I can swallow that kind of bullshit just fine for some of the minor character arc beats but that one just takes the cake. I like this show but this is probably as far as I'll go.

... is what I would say if I wasn't such a sucker.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, it's a tiny bit more involved than that. Liam repeated to Scott what Scott told Liam when Liam first turned into a werewolf and lost control. So it's...y'know. Poetic and stuff. I mean, I agree that it's kind of an anticlimactic way to save Scott from the completely arbirtrary berserker possession, but it didn't come totally out of nowhere, as opposed to other things I could mention about this episode.

Like, Chris made a deal with the Calaveras to leave Scott's pack alone -- except they never touched Scott's pack -- if he would help them get Kate, which was what he was doing anyway. Alright?

And what was that bullet Chris shot Kate with made of? Plot convenience?

Oh no, Derek's werewolf mantra doesn't help Liam! But Satomi's mantra does help, because

Oh no, Scott killed Kira! Except he didn't. Twice. He and Kate just let her sit there for a while I guess.

Also Derek was dying, and then he just...wasn't. Because...????..??...epic soundtrack...?

Eichin House is still dumb.

Eh, all that said, I enjoyed a lot of it anyway, despite little of it making sense, but only because I really like funky parkour fight scenes, and Malia's face. You have to keep reasonable expectations, with this show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Well, it's a tiny bit more involved than that. Liam repeated to Scott what Scott told Liam when Liam first turned into a werewolf and lost control. So it's...y'know. Poetic and stuff. I mean, I agree that it's kind of an anticlimactic way to save Scott from the completely arbirtrary berserker possession, but it didn't come totally out of nowhere, as opposed to other things I could mention about this episode.

Plus, to be fair, Scott being Liam's weredaddy has basically been one of the core themes of this season.

BrianWilly posted:

Like, Chris made a deal with the Calaveras to leave Scott's pack alone -- except they never touched Scott's pack -- if he would help them get Kate, which was what he was doing anyway. Alright?

They were coming to get Scott because he bit someone, like they threatened at the very start of the season if he ever did. And the deal was to hand Kate over to them and also to go with them, I guess because they want to Hunter Redeem him.

quote:

And what was that bullet Chris shot Kate with made of? Plot convenience?

The paralytic yellow wolfsbane Mason and Violet were using to get Brett. He fetched it in a scene last episode or the one before. That, at least, was established.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Like, Chris made a deal with the Calaveras to leave Scott's pack alone -- except they never touched Scott's pack

They literally torture the hell out of him in the first episode, and warn him to watch his poo poo. Shortly after that he turns a kid into a werewolf. It's not hard to think they might have decided to take a closer look at him after that.

quote:

if he would help them get Kate, which was what he was doing anyway. Alright?

Well he was helping deal with Kate in a general sense, now he's getting her for them. It is a slightly different arrangement that is much more likely to end in her death.

quote:

Oh no, Derek's werewolf mantra doesn't help Liam! But Satomi's mantra does help, because

As Stiles said, it's as simple as the fact Derek's wasn't resonating with him. It's entirely psychosomatic, and he just wasn't feeling the pack hierarchy bullshit. The Buddhist chant speaks to him, and because of that it works.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing I'll give this finale over 3B's is the humor. The Divine Move, much as I loved it, was aggressively dark and unfunny kind of by necessity, what with literally being on the heels of Allison's death and whatnot. This one actually had me cackling aloud at several points. Naturally, most of the good stuff revolves around Stiles. I think my favorite moment of the episode was Stiles bringing their infiltration of the Aztec Temple to a screeching halt to take a call from his dad, and the whole time he's talking Peter's just staring at him, utterly dumbfounded, looking at the others like "are you loving making GBS threads me? jesus christ, I almost gave the bite to this idiot."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ahhh right, I forgot about the Calaveras' ridiculous posturing from that terrible premiere, since the show seemed to forget about it too. I know they showed up to posture to Chris some more at some point, but since they didn't actually mention Scott or Liam at all it just came across as yet another pointless scene of theirs.

Boogaleeboo posted:

As Stiles said, it's as simple as the fact Derek's wasn't resonating with him. It's entirely psychosomatic, and he just wasn't feeling the pack hierarchy bullshit. The Buddhist chant speaks to him, and because of that it works.
Yeah I got that, I'm asking why. Why is the pack hierarchy thing "bullshit" to Liam, and why does he feel connected instead to a Buddhist phrase he's never heard before in his life?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spergatory posted:

I think my favorite moment of the episode was Stiles bringing their infiltration of the Aztec Temple to a screeching halt to take a call from his dad, and the whole time he's talking Peter's just staring at him, utterly dumbfounded, looking at the others like "are you loving making GBS threads me? jesus christ, I almost gave the bite to this idiot."

I just flicked back to it and Peter's little 'what the gently caress seriously' look of genuine confusion that they're doing this is hilarious.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I got that, I'm asking why. Why is the pack hierarchy thing "bullshit" to Liam, and why does he feel connected instead to a Buddhist phrase he's never heard before in his life?

Yeah I wasn't really feeling that either, to be honest. Scene would've worked better if Stiles had done it by pulling out Mason and Liam's Dad and working the anchor angle.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Why would a confused child desperately trying to believe he's not a terrible person deep down connect with the idea that nothing can truly change who we are when he's in a moment of crisis?

I don't know. That is a puzzler.

And alpha beta omega stuff is bullshit to him because it is, in fact, bullshit. Derek was born a werewolf and raised in a culture of all this stuff being normal. It means something to him because of that, so it works for him. To anyone else, *anyone* else, it just doesn't mean a drat thing. What sort of emotional resonance is there to pack dynamics to someone who hasn't even really been in a pack for nine seconds?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:sweatdrop: Yeah I'm trying to put this as nicely as possible but you're way over-rationalizing it. No one explained the meaning of Satomi's phrase to Liam, so there's no way he would've known what those things meant. Stiles himself wasn't even there when Satomi explained it to Chris. And she didn't even explain it that way!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Well uh, think of the phrases in context. Derek's mantra was about change, that werewoles can go from an alpha to a beta to an omega and back to an alpha. Liam's situation at the moment is trying to prevent change, to not go into a full moon berserk werewolf form. Satomi's mantra is about constancy, the sun, the moon, and the truth may not always be visible from where we're standing, but they're always there. Liam needs to be able to stay human though his werewolf form is struggling to take dominance and needs to be reminded of his humanity.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think it would have been more interesting if they had tied a mantra for him to repeat into him being part of Scott and Stiles' lacrosse team. Then it would have made sense for it to resonate with him on a personal level but also as a part of their pack.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"Attack, defense, goalie."

Well uh, think of the phrases in context. Derek's mantra was about change, that werewoles can go from an alpha to a beta to an omega and back to an alpha. Liam's situation at the moment is trying to prevent change, to not go into a full moon berserk werewolf form. Satomi's mantra is about constancy, the sun, the moon, and the truth may not always be visible from where we're standing, but they're always there. Liam needs to be able to stay human though his werewolf form is struggling to take dominance and needs to be reminded of his humanity.
Yes that's great, that truly is, except there's no way Liam would know that because no one told him any of it. Without any context, sun moon and truth is as meaningless to anyone as alpha beta omega. Did Stiles mindspeak these things to Liam? Who told Stiles?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Wezlar posted:

I think it would have been more interesting if they had tied a mantra for him to repeat into him being part of Scott and Stiles' lacrosse team. Then it would have made sense for it to resonate with him on a personal level but also as a part of their pack.

"The bigger they are, the bigger they are. The bigger they are, the bigger they are. The bigger they are, the bigger they are..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

"The bigger they are, the bigger they are. The bigger they are, the bigger they are. The bigger they are, the bigger they are..."

"Today... we celebrate... our independence day"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MikeJF posted:

"Today... we celebrate... our independence day"
Coach would handle this werewolf bullshit way better than Scott or Derek ever could.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Coach would handle this werewolf bullshit way better than Scott or Derek ever could.

He's a 15-year sober alcoholic, that's practically full moon practice.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I've just watched this whole show over the past week or show, so I can tell you for sure that the Coach (does he have a name?) is the best character and a show about Coach Alpha and the Pack would be fantastic.

Also want to say that I really miss Jackson. :( Arrow is a great show but I think I like Jackson better than Roy.

Other notes, one of the things I really like about this show is how good it is about returning to old loose ends that you think have been forgotten. Kira's tails is a good recent example, I feel like the last time they mentioned anything about Kitsune tails was probably more than a season ago. I always wonder why Kira so rarely seems to use any Kitsune powers, and just when it seems like the show has just totally forgotten that angle, here comes a new development.

Speaking of loose ends, what happened to Danny? Everyone else who leaves at least gets a mention, even Isaac, but not Danny. Anyone else notice any lines about that? Did he just graduate, or perhaps his family moved away from werewolf town?

Also I'm still not sure why there was wolfsbane growing out of Laura Hale's grave in a spiral. That's another loose end I've given up on... but then again, with Derek's recent "evolution" I guess we finally have a good reason to talk about full-wolf transformations, like Laura's.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Danny is coming back next season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

Also I'm still not sure why there was wolfsbane growing out of Laura Hale's grave in a spiral.

Burial tradition. That wolfsbane forced her corpse to stay in wolf form. When they dragged it out it shifted back to human. I think. It's been a while.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Burial tradition. That wolfsbane forced her corpse to stay in wolf form. When they dragged it out it shifted back to human. I think. It's been a while.

That sounds like that maybe happened, I think you're right.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Danny is coming back next season.

Next season is gonna be great. I wonder if they'll keep the arcs mostly split again, like with the Alpha Pack/Nogitsune, or go for broke and try for a mega-arc? Can't say I have a preference, honestly. They work quite well with their short seasons, 3B was excellent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

XboxPants posted:

I've just watched this whole show over the past week or show, so I can tell you for sure that the Coach (does he have a name?) is the best character and a show about Coach Alpha and the Pack would be fantastic.
Imdb to the rescue, he is called Bobby Finstock.

quote:

Also want to say that I really miss Jackson. :( Arrow is a great show but I think I like Jackson better than Roy.
I know I'm one of the few in the thread who thinks the show is better off without him. I could never stand Jackson.

quote:

Other notes, one of the things I really like about this show is how good it is about returning to old loose ends that you think have been forgotten. Kira's tails is a good recent example, I feel like the last time they mentioned anything about Kitsune tails was probably more than a season ago. I always wonder why Kira so rarely seems to use any Kitsune powers, and just when it seems like the show has just totally forgotten that angle, here comes a new development.
It has been asked in the thread why she didn't just electrocute the Berserker through the chains. What if she is simply unable to do so? Creating enough electricity to light a light bulb is not enough to do any real harm to an adult human. She did reforge her katana that one time, but what if that was an exception? Perhaps she needs more tails to produce more electricity, so she has the potential to grow stronger over the run of the show.

quote:

Speaking of loose ends, what happened to Danny? Everyone else who leaves at least gets a mention, even Isaac, but not Danny. Anyone else notice any lines about that? Did he just graduate, or perhaps his family moved away from werewolf town?
I believe Danny is back next season? In any case, the show really dropped the ball with him. Jeff Davis, I'm not amused! Although perhaps I can forgive them if Danny instead hooks up with Mason. How old are these two? Is there too much of an age gap? I always confuse freshman, sophomore, senior and the like.

quote:

Also I'm still not sure why there was wolfsbane growing out of Laura Hale's grave in a spiral. That's another loose end I've given up on... but then again, with Derek's recent "evolution" I guess we finally have a good reason to talk about full-wolf transformations, like Laura's.

That Derek full wolf transformation came out of nowhere and was handled pretty badly. I hope they have an explanation for it next season. Oh who am I kidding, they won't explain anything.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 12, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I believe Danny is back next season? In any case, the show really dropped the ball with him. Jeff Davis, I'm not amused! Although perhaps I can forgive them if Danny instead hooks up with Mason. How old are these two? Is there too much of an age gap? I always confuse freshman, sophomore, senior and the like.

That's one thing they've always been extremely vague about, to the point of having characters that are supposed to be two or three years apart in the same class together. I mean, I know that kind of thing does happen, but it sure makes things confusing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

That's one thing they've always been extremely vague about, to the point of having characters that are supposed to be two or three years apart in the same class together. I mean, I know that kind of thing does happen, but it sure makes things confusing.

When did they do that?

Pretty sure everyone is the same year except Liam and Mason.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

When did they do that?

Pretty sure everyone is the same year except Liam and Mason.

Aiden was in the same class as Lydia, and when he first showed up she referred to him as a freshman. I always thought the twins were younger than the main cast.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

Aiden was in the same class as Lydia, and when he first showed up she referred to him as a freshman. I always thought the twins were younger than the main cast.

Nah, they were gossiping about the new freshmen and then then they noticed the twins. They were the same year as Scott. That was the whole point; to get put in the same class as Lydia and Danny for evil seduction purposes.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

The point is the writers know what these character beats are supposed to represent but they always do it so haphazardly. Like, they just make it super obvious and tend to try and get it over with as quick as possible instead of actually 'writing' something around the point they're trying to convey.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Torrannor posted:

That Derek full wolf transformation came out of nowhere and was handled pretty badly. I hope they have an explanation for it next season. Oh who am I kidding, they won't explain anything.

That was pretty bullshit not explaining any of that. However the only other full wolf shifter we know of, Talia was a pretty important figure, not just as an alpha but as a diplomatic figure between the werewolves and the hunters. Given his growing friendship with Chris Argent and sort of taking on a mentor/protector role with Scott's pack, maybe he's got a more prominent role next season?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It has been asked in the thread why she didn't just electrocute the Berserker through the chains. What if she is simply unable to do so? Creating enough electricity to light a light bulb is not enough to do any real harm to an adult human. She did reforge her katana that one time, but what if that was an exception? Perhaps she needs more tails to produce more electricity, so she has the potential to grow stronger over the run of the show.
If she can generate enough electricity to (basically) stop Scott's heart, she can, at the very least, stun a Berserker. Like I understand they have to keep her powers in check because they don't want her solving all problems with magic lightning (especially given their meager effects budget) but you've gotta stay consistent with these things. At least let her taze a dude every once in a while. Or throw in a line about bones being a bad conductor or something.

I still want to know what kind of kitsune Mama Yukimura is. :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

However the only other full wolf shifter we know of, Talia

Laura and Malia as well. (Well, Malia went full coyote but same thing, it's the Hale Full Shift in action) (And Peter's monster form was probably partly because of the Hale Full Wolf Transformation getting crossed with the Peter Is Totally hosed Up In The Head thing, too)

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I know I'm one of the few in the thread who thinks the show is better off without him. I could never stand Jackson.

Jackson was a pretty awful character. I guess they had to like keep him around because he knew their secret and poo poo but otherwise I have no idea why anyone even tolerated him, he was just too much of a jackass.

Also watching from the start again it's amazing how different Lydia is in season 1.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

:sweatdrop: Yeah I'm trying to put this as nicely as possible but you're way over-rationalizing it.

Counter-point: You think a life mantra based on lacrosse makes more sense.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Does the mantra really need to be explained? Sure, it's nice to have someone break it down but it's not exactly confusing if you think on the words what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Did anyone else think Peter looked/acted/sounded silly with his wolf face on? I thought it was really cheesy looking, his acting was really weird, the faces he made were just silly, and his voice sounded odd. I think it would've been cooler if he just started fighting with his human face and looked at everyone with their confused looks saying, "I'm always in wolf mode, bitches!"

Other than that specific thing, I liked the season finale - especially because Derek seems to be coming into an actually good role, and Tyler's really good at acting that part.

• Locked thread