Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am a Bendis fan but do not care for his X-men at all. I am just happy their are titles like Amazing, Magneto, and X-force. They need new blood on the main titles.

X-Force at the least is cancelled/finishing up soon and I can't imagine Amazing or Magneto existing in their current formats for much longer. So it's all Bendis, all the way for the next while :getin:

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm wondering if Hickman might take a shot at the X-Men after his Avengers/Secret Wars is over, or if he'll just go all creator owned like Fraction did.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure he's said he's only going to be doing creator-owned stuff after finishing Avengers.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Probably just as well. As cool as Hickman is, I'm not sure a really intricately plotted X-Men is what the franchise right now after all this time-travel bullshit. But man, the X-lineup is going to be poo poo without Spurrier bringing up the quality. I wish they'd hand the main book over to him or someone exciting or even just beg Mike Carey back, but that's not happening.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'd just like to point out that Wolverine (who is alive in this story) has been dead for 2 months now, Xavier has come back and then went away again (in the body of the Red Skull in a lovely event), and we are still waiting to hear Xavier's goddamn will that started as an Original Sin tie-in. I don't know how Bendis can tell such a good short story with Tempus and the two annuals, yet drag out this loving show for 5 months now. I was wondering if Magneto showing up in his white outfit rather than the black one he's been wearing in his solo series was just an art slip-up, but maybe at this point Uncanny has actually managed to stay in a time nexus, months apart from any other Marvel titles.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with Shield blasting Mathew Malloy to death out of nowhere? That'd be like a bunch of random AIM dudes showing up and killing Thanos in one panel.

I have a problem with SHIELD being effective at all. Like, the whole of SHIELD as an organization has been effectively clowned on by every force in the Marvel universe for years now, and helicarriers get knocked out of the sky on a near daily basis, but suddenly in one fell swoop they wipe out Magik (who time-travels at will) and this Malloy dude who blew up a helicarrier like two issues ago, in 2 panels. And the drat helicarrier was at like point-blank range but whatever I guess nobody saw or heard the giant ship.

Oh, and I'm gonna place a bet that Eva's meeting with Charles ends with the (totally original and shocking) revelation that Professor Xavier IS A JERK. You know, because that's a story that no writer has dare tackled before.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 27, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wait wait wait is the will thing still going on

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blockhouse posted:

wait wait wait is the will thing still going on

drat right it is. Hyper decompression, yo.

Save us, Mike Carey. Or Gillen. Or anyone. I'd take Matt Fraction again.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

X-Force at the least is cancelled/finishing up soon and I can't imagine Amazing or Magneto existing in their current formats for much longer. So it's all Bendis, all the way for the next while :getin:

Merge them into one book and have Magneto lead a group of X-Men again. The Amazing M-Men; the team's gimmick is some schmuck asking if they have a stutter whenever they announce themselves.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I completely disagree that Temptus (I don't even know who or what that is, even if there has been a good issue of Uncanny or All NEw recently, all of the poo poo just makes it hard to recognize) or the Annuals being good. The Annuals were Bendis jacking himself off over what an awesome and totally original character he's created but oh wait, he's kind of been ignoring her for a dozen or so issues so WAIT GUYS here's why you should totally care about her!

Also, the gently caress is Stark doing being the Sorceror Supreme? Usually these far off futures that we'll never ever get to, they usually all make sense. Almost all futures show Quire being in control of the Phoenix Force, or at least an accomplished telepath. We've seen various futures for Spider-Man, some of which he's a well regarded hero and some of which he became a villain, but there's almost always a reason why. There's no loving reason at all why Tony, who is much more grounded in science than say Reed is because Reed is a multi-versal explorer but Tony is an engineer and inventor. Hell there's not even a reason as to why Tony Stark is even alive since he is actually mortal. Bendis himself even wrote Dr. Strange talking about legacy titles with Iron Fist, saying that there's probably a younger guy that'll replace them someday.

I'm actually not on board X-Force right now. It is a fun book and has its moments but it isn't blowing me away like Spurrier's Legacy was. And I'm in the minority on Gillen's X-Men run. I never really could get into it, and the Land art sure didn't help. I think the core, top X-books have been plagued by writers who just are like "Welp, I've written Avengers/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four/Punisher/whatever, guess I'll take a stab at X-Men" and just not doing all that well. Even writers I typically like, such as Brubaker, kind of stumble with their X-Men work. Aaron's WATXM stuff was hit or miss for me (a lot more hits early in the run, and more than a few misses later). There's been some bright spots, like anything Carey has done, but for the most part, I think most X-Men's top books have been average at best. And with Bendis, it has just turned from boring to so god drat stupid.

Also, apparently Emma is still having power problems even though everyone else's problems was the nano sentinels. The gently caress

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 27, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't read Bendis' books, but maybe Stark took the "Magic is just Science we don't understand yet" to it's logical conclusion. He solved what magic is, and can recreate it in his inventions enough that he's now the master of it. That's my no-prize answer I guess.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
A thirty-five year old Billionaire being alive 85 years from now ain't even really science fiction, although becoming sorcerer supreme probably came with some perks anyway.

I didn't have any problem with the annuals or the last Uncanny, a time travel reversal is fine if it comes one panel later as opposed to after several issues of go nowhere continuity (*cough* Remender or you know Bendis in AoU).

I really dislike his interpretation of sliding time though and hope it doesn't catch on, i.e. the All New X-Men Annual posits the Fantastic Four fought Galactus in 1966.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

I really dislike his interpretation of sliding time though and hope it doesn't catch on, i.e. the All New X-Men Annual posits the Fantastic Four fought Galactus in 1966.

What's the point of having editors if they don't catch things like this?

I did enjoy that he had more recent events as just "x" or vague symbols or whatever.

So is Eva's home reality 2099?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I also disagree that the Eva story told in the two annuals was good. The basic idea is solid enough, but Bendis seems past the point of knowing how to tell any story effectively. Hey, let's spend multiple 2-page spreads to continue wanking on time travel tropes, but then spend the absolute minimum amount of time developing the husband and daughter that are supposed to be the emotional crux of this story. Literally "X Years Later - 'Hello husband! Hello daughter! Wow, crazy how I now have a family in this time, making this more my home than my previous home! I hope nothing happens in the next panel to upend this happi- Oh no a time traveling dinosaur!' " I got very little from the story that I wouldn't have also gotten from someone giving me a 2-sentence explanation of it.

And I haven't even touched on how even more hosed up Bendis has made time travel. Did her family disappear because she wasn't there to anchor them, since it "wasn't her natural time era" or whatever? Or did her 2 millisecond blips through the past undo the family via the butterfly effect? Both are given lip service, but those seem incompatible, and they seem like bullshit even on their own. Some change in the past that would have to have been at the literal butterfly level (since nothing significant was shown to have been changed by her) led to 2099 being entirely different, but that same change did absolutely nothing to 2014 which is exactly as she left it? And if the anchor theory is correct, 2014 will eventually revert to whatever its state would have been in if Beast hadn't brought the original 5 into the future once they go home? Like, I don't care about the actual mechanics of time travel, but Bendis's take has been different from the standard Marvel take for this entire run, and he created a third standard in this stupid annual. Even if one were to argue that it is specific to Eva's powerset, her ability to time travel and have the results of her time travel "stick" is the crux of the current UXM storyline!

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 27, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

The last 4 or so issues have taken place within a half hour.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
She's not going to turn out to be Abagail Brand's mother, is she?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's no loving reason at all why Tony, who is much more grounded in science than say Reed is because Reed is a multi-versal explorer but Tony is an engineer and inventor. Hell there's not even a reason as to why Tony Stark is even alive since he is actually mortal. Bendis himself even wrote Dr. Strange talking about legacy titles with Iron Fist, saying that there's probably a younger guy that'll replace them someday.

Well in all fairness Strange was just a surgeon.

But then Bendis himself made other magicians (Doom, Voodoo, Hood, girl from Runaways) Sorcerer Supreme candidates back in New Avengers so lol

TwoPair posted:

I have a problem with SHIELD being effective at all. Like, the whole of SHIELD as an organization has been effectively clowned on by every force in the Marvel universe for years now, and helicarriers get knocked out of the sky on a near daily basis, but suddenly in one fell swoop they wipe out Magik (who time-travels at will) and this Malloy dude who blew up a helicarrier like two issues ago, in 2 panels. And the drat helicarrier was at like point-blank range but whatever I guess nobody saw or heard the giant ship.

Yeah that's what I meant: that it makes no sense in terms of what the characters are capable of. I can't even remember a Helicarrier ever being able to take down a superhuman, let alone someone who's supposedly the most powerful mutant ever with teleport powers. That has got to be their most impressive feat ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well presumably SHIELD has made some improvements since they're actually trying to kill Cyclops.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If they got nuked by some satellite out of phase with reality until it fired chronaly unstable power dampening anti-mutant maguffin particles SHEILD might come off as a threat to Batman Mutants.

It had to be dumb and obvious so it could never happen again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

"Oh good, the cover to All-New X-Factor has the bullets without the casings still on them."

*IUG reads the issue, and gets disappointed*

Is it really that hard? I know poo poo about guns, but I know this one fact about bullets. However, that wasn't the worst thing about this issue. Everyone had the same drat voice. And too many instances of snarky back-and-forth dialog from everyone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Shield bullets are actually special bullets designed to give themselves a boost if they can't reach their target, otherwise the extra casing will explode on impact for even more damage and target penetration.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inside every SHIELD gun is a tiny Magneto who directs the bullets with his powers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Saoshyant posted:

I hated Fraction's X-Men run. But I still was reading it, I am down to really just following what's going on with the X-Men in this thread. So I guess I too would want Fraction back. At least stuff happened.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I honestly forgot it was Fraction who even wrote those issues. Similar to Brubaker, there's some interesting developments in their respective runs but they both just kind of fumble when it coems to the actual execution.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Some of my hate for Fraction's run comes from the TERRIBLE art that accompanied it. Almost his whole run was done with Greg Land. Yes there were some issues with the Dodsons taking the art duties but for the most part, and especially a lot of the more pivotal issues were Land.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I thought the Sisterhood arc was pretty okay in Fraction's run, but that's the best he got. Too much of it felt like it was trying to go for that Claremont breezy familiarity, such as with a bunch of shoehorned topical issues like H1N1 and Proposition 8. It just felt really cheesy, and then that group of reeeeally forgettable bad guys at the end were really bad. But, as boring as his Bruebaker's run was, at least it didn't couple that with excruciating decompression.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Science Club was during Fraction's run, wasn't it? I really enjoyed some of those issues.

At the very least, during the Carey/Brubaker/Fraction/Gillen era where they were playing hopscotch from event to event, it at least had a forward sense of momentum and direction. I dropped Bendis after giving him about 6 issues in both All New and Uncanny, but have been lurking this thread and it all seems so aimless.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would not be surprised to find out that the editors have given a date where Xmen can come back, and end the schism, but that time is tied to like the Totally New Secret Wars or some upcoming event. Bendis is just waiting it out.

At least Willow is taken over Xmen for a bit. If she writes it as well as she writes Ms Marvel, it will be the best Xbook.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Schism will end to no effect because it is literally the only storyline the X-Men have ever had.

Optimism v pessimism and the division of mutants down that line.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So are the developments show in the Avengers recently actually going to happen in a few months, or is it some alternate/fake/time travel/hand wavey mess that won't be dressed?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

So are the developments show in the Avengers recently actually going to happen in a few months, or is it some alternate/fake/time travel/hand wavey mess that won't be dressed?

Actually going to happen in a few months.

Traveling Salesman
Nov 27, 2007

Merchant of Death

HorseRenoir posted:

All-New Doop
Peter Milligan and David Lafuente
A new limited series starring everyone's favorite flying pickle, Doop, about what he does while the X-Men are adventuring. Sounds fun.

I honestly couldn't be more excited to read this!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Traveling Salesman posted:

I honestly couldn't be more excited to read this!

Good news, that post is almost a year old, so you can go buy it. (I have no idea about the quality of that series. I didn't bother because it was a tie-in for a series I didn't read.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JoylessJester posted:

Hickman is leading the Marvel/Avengers line--what he says happens, happens.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

redbackground posted:

Hickman is leading the Marvel/Avengers line--what he says happens, happens.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Actually going to happen in a few months.

Sweet! Might actually give X-men another go.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Whoa whoa whoa hold your horses there. We didn't mean to imply the X-books are good right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What was the Hickman Avengers reveal about where the X-Men were ending up? I remember reading it, but it's been awhile and I don't have the issue handy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What was the Hickman Avengers reveal about where the X-Men were ending up? I remember reading it, but it's been awhile and I don't have the issue handy.
Cyclops is running "X-Nation" and is at least talking with Beast again. It was like two pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Cyclops is running "X-Nation" and is at least talking with Beast again. It was like two pages.

Ahh, right, I knew it was short, that's why I couldn't remember it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And it's guarded by sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So, i'm gonna start reading X-Men next issue since Willow Wilson's doing an arc, is there anything i gotta know that happened to the team or is "team of women X-Men and these issues are by a writer i like" good enough?

• Locked thread