Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PathAsc posted:

Arm warm, thanks Bro

That’s awesome. Elmore approves.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Man it is so obvious now how much inspiration Gritty’s creator(s) took from bearded dragons (and also muppets, duh)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

That’s awesome. Elmore approves.

Elmore got big!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
sorry, elmore is antifa now and there’s nothing you can do about it

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
(https://mobile.twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1049132218789105666)

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'd love to live somewhere it was normal to stumble over snakes just out and about. I've only seen a slow worm once and it was dead.

I live in Florida and, having lived here my entire life, I've seen a ton of wild snakes. Eastern racers are the most common by far but I've also seen ringnecks, yellow rat snakes, corn snakes, banded water snakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, and even once a coral snake. Hoping I get to see a wild indigo someday.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Took me two hours today to make a kitten/ferret condo hopefully safe for uros. Chicken wire is no good. Has to be hardware cloth.

Now I just need to furnish the fucker and the guys will have a nice outside enclosure.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Elmore got big!

Heck yeah he did. Here he is just a day or two after I got him, which is about 2-3 years ago now:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

sorry, elmore is antifa now and there’s nothing you can do about it

I am okay with this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am thinking about buying a bearded dragon soon. i already have a BTS who is doing really well as well as ton of frogs. that or a ball python.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am thinking about buying a bearded dragon soon. i already have a BTS who is doing really well as well as ton of frogs. that or a ball python.

Sounds about right (as long as you can provide well for it). I’d probably do the same thing in your position. Maybe gecko(s) of some sort or a tort.

Someday....a tegu

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

There’s a reptile show here this weekend. I’m sorely tempted to go but I’m afraid I’d come home with a whole menagerie of lizards and some massive credit card debt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sounds about right (as long as you can provide well for it). I’d probably do the same thing in your position. Maybe gecko(s) of some sort or a tort.

Someday....a tegu

if/when i get my own place, id get a tegu. i am tempted to look at leopard gekos but i like "cuddling" with my various herps and even my dumpys and toads are pretty friendly. i am probably going for the beardie since they are easier to feed and are chill.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Beardie vs ball: Do you want a higher maintenance, more interactive diurnal display animal that eats every day, or a low maintenance nocturnal animal that eats every 1-2 weeks and otherwise spends much of its time hidden and asleep?

Both are equally valid choices, it's just a preference thing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

No cool wild snakes but a pond in my local park is teeming with newts at the moment and they're adorable!

Bonus baby frog:

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 6, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

snake and bake posted:

Beardie vs ball: Do you want a higher maintenance, more interactive diurnal display animal that eats every day, or a low maintenance nocturnal animal that eats every 1-2 weeks and otherwise spends much of its time hidden and asleep?

Both are equally valid choices, it's just a preference thing.

i mean i already have skink which is a mix of both. so probably beardie.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I'm a newbie herp owner; I brought home a corn snake on Saturday. I was just going to look and see what was available at our local reptarium but this guy was so cute and active that we wanted him ASAP. I worry that we botched his transition to his new home though (we put him in a 20 gallon then upgraded to a 40 gallon terrarium in the same day).

He spent the first night buried in the substrate and did not move at all, so I pulled him out and held him for a couple minutes. He seemed a lot more lethargic then he did at the pet store but I don't know if that's normal (when he was perched how he wanted he just stopped moving). When I put him back he went under the warm hide and spent the rest of the day under there. This morning it looked like he came out of the hide a little bit to get some warmth over the heater, but when I looked again about 10 mins later he had retreated.

I know some snakes like to burrow and hide, I'm aware of that but I can't tell if he's drinking any water. I'd feel better if he were moving around more than he has been. I'm probably overthinking it and hopefully he'll perk up more this week :ohdear:

I'll have to get a better pic later: https://m.imgur.com/a/7rCjkfZ

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 10, 2019

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Maerlyn posted:

I'm a newbie herp owner; I brought home a corn snake on Saturday. I was just going to look and see what was available at our local reptarium but this guy was so cute and active that we wanted him ASAP. I worry that we botched his transition to his new home though (we put him in a 20 gallon then upgraded to a 40 gallon terrarium in the same day).

He spent the first night buried in the substrate and did not move at all, so I pulled him out and held him for a couple minutes. He seemed a lot more lethargic then he did at the pet store but I don't know if that's normal (when he was perched how he wanted he just stopped moving). When I put him back he went under the warm hide and spent the rest of the day under there. This morning it looked like he came out of the hide a little bit to get some warmth over the heater, but when I looked again about 10 mins later he had retreated.

I know some snakes like to burrow and hide, I'm aware of that but I can't tell if he's drinking any water. I'd feel better if he were moving around more than he has been. I'm probably overthinking it and hopefully he'll perk up more this week :ohdear:

I'll have to get a better pic later: https://m.imgur.com/a/7rCjkfZ

What are the high and low temperatures? Corns are usually pretty active.

Where did you get him from? And when did he eat last?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Cowslips Warren posted:

What are the high and low temperatures? Corns are usually pretty active.

Where did you get him from? And when did he eat last?

Low would be 70-75, high 80-85 I think but we've been fiddling with the lamp and heat mat so I will recheck tonight. We had a bit colder house yesterday but that's not common for June in Nebraska and the temp in the terrarium was consistently in the 70-80 range. I don't know when he ate last, I would guess he is due for a feeding because the reptile store employee was willing to demonstrate feeding him for us, we weren't able to do that when we returned to purchase him because he was busy. We bought him from a small reptile store who told us he had had him for about 4 months and he was dropped off by a parent (punishment or forcing her kid to get rid of him, great parenting but I digress).

I wanted to feed him but I had read to leave him be for 5-7 days to adjust to his new home. Is it pretty unusual for him to be so sedentary, even in a new environment? We also have a cat and dogs so I'm not sure if that's something he can smell (the cat seems unaware so I don't think he's being messed with).

My other thought was maybe close to shedding but I don't want to handle him and freak him out more.

Edit again: It's been about a week since he ate last.

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 10, 2019

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In my somewhat limited snake experience they seem to need time to adjust to a new environment just like any other animal. They usually hide for a while after we bring them home and once they feel comfortable start exploring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Give the snake time to chill. Leave it alone for a few days and don’t move or handle it unless absolutely necessary. It’s common for snakes to need up to 2-3 weeks to calm down.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

We coaxed him out a bit with a mouse so at least we know he'll eat, the temp where he's hiding seems fine if not a little warm (low 90s) but hopefully if he were uncomfortable he would move. After getting the mouse down he tucked himself back into his hiding spot so we'll just leave him be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Maerlyn posted:

We coaxed him out a bit with a mouse so at least we know he'll eat, the temp where he's hiding seems fine if not a little warm (low 90s) but hopefully if he were uncomfortable he would move. After getting the mouse down he tucked himself back into his hiding spot so we'll just leave him be.

Like I said, most keepers will wait days or even weeks after rehousing before even trying to feed a snake. Some larger snakes won’t eat for a year after rehousing or stress. Snakes can go a while without eating. I’m not trying to tell you off or anything like that but prodding and handling a snake that’s just been adopted and rehoused and then feeding it two days after is just increasing the likelihood of complications.

You shouldn’t be asking the “will he even eat?” question until he’s refused at least two meals from you, weeks in. It frustrates me somewhat that you say you worry that you “botched his transition to his new home” and then you continue to do seemingly the opposite of what everybody and all of the resources are telling you to do. If the book you read says “wait 5-7 days before handling or feeding your snake” why are you coming in here one day post-adoption and describing how you extensively handled the snake and two days after that to tell us about how you wagged a mouse at the snake?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Like I said, most keepers will wait days or even weeks after rehousing before even trying to feed a snake. Some larger snakes won’t eat for a year after rehousing or stress. Snakes can go a while without eating. I’m not trying to tell you off or anything like that but prodding and handling a snake that’s just been adopted and rehoused and then feeding it two days after is just increasing the likelihood of complications.

You shouldn’t be asking the “will he even eat?” question until he’s refused at least two meals from you, weeks in. It frustrates me somewhat that you say you worry that you “botched his transition to his new home” and then you continue to do seemingly the opposite of what everybody and all of the resources are telling you to do. If the book you read says “wait 5-7 days before handling or feeding your snake” why are you coming in here one day post-adoption and describing how you extensively handled the snake and two days after that to tell us about how you wagged a mouse at the snake?

"Extensively handled" is a bit of a stretch since I held him for less than 3 minutes. I wouldn't have picked him up at all but he hadn't moved one iota overnight which seemed odd, and he was burrowed in the substrate so I couldn't see his head. I guess I let my anxiety get the best of me. I also did this before I read that I should leave him be for 5-7 days so I wasn't ignoring what I had read.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's understandable for anxiety to get the best of us sometimes. Don't worry; you didn't hurt him by checking on him for a few minutes. :shobon:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So because I do research on snakes, I occasionally get random 'can you id this' emails. Mostly garter snakes, some brown snakes, and rarely black rat snakes. However, I had someone send me this yesterday:

The only thing I can come up with is that it's probably a white-sided black rat snake morph, and thus likely a released or escaped pet? I'm in the midwest and just wtf. The person that contacted me is happy to just let it live in their garage, but I doubt it'll even make it to winter if they can't find someone to take it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So because I do research on snakes, I occasionally get random 'can you id this' emails. Mostly garter snakes, some brown snakes, and rarely black rat snakes. However, I had someone send me this yesterday:

The only thing I can come up with is that it's probably a white-sided black rat snake morph, and thus likely a released or escaped pet? I'm in the midwest and just wtf. The person that contacted me is happy to just let it live in their garage, but I doubt it'll even make it to winter if they can't find someone to take it.

Yeah, my wife agrees on it being an escaped pet white-sided rat snake. It may even be able to survive a winter in the Midwest since there are native rat snake.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
WTF news: one of my ball pythons laid eggs. She has never been with a male. Likely slugs.

WTF I am a poo poo pet owner news: took me the better part of a day to secure a kitten condo (think supersize ferret cage) with hardwire cloth so my ornate uros could live outside and get real UVB. They escaped sometime between Saturday and today. I've searched the back yard, but no sign of them. Of course they can scale the walls, and there's feral cats outside, so they are likely goners, and I'm sitting here just pissed as gently caress because even if I didn't want the drat things and ended up taking care of them for someone else, they are likely dead because of me.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That sucks to hear, sorry mate

I started a dubia colony yesterday, hoping it takes off well so I can be self sufficient on the drat things finally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

WTF news: one of my ball pythons laid eggs. She has never been with a male. Likely slugs.

WTF I am a poo poo pet owner news: took me the better part of a day to secure a kitten condo (think supersize ferret cage) with hardwire cloth so my ornate uros could live outside and get real UVB. They escaped sometime between Saturday and today. I've searched the back yard, but no sign of them. Of course they can scale the walls, and there's feral cats outside, so they are likely goners, and I'm sitting here just pissed as gently caress because even if I didn't want the drat things and ended up taking care of them for someone else, they are likely dead because of me.

put out their favorite food, talk to the neighbors, and see if you can look in people's crawl spaces and hidey-holes. There's a good chance they're hiding nearby.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Only issue is I have a large overgrown backyard. And there's at least a hundred hiding places if we don't count them going over the wall (which happened once already, hence the reinforced new cage that they still found a spot out of), including the old and new tortoise huts. I'm still looking but so far if they are in the yard still, at least they got plenty of food with all the salads for the torts out there.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My jungle carpet python eggs are pipping!

#12 there had it's head out and popped back in when I tried to take a picture.

I can't believe snakes can be so cute!

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Who said snakes are not cute? Let me bite him/her/whatever!

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Dart frog tank going up.

Gonna be the best desk ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Dart frog tank going up.

Gonna be the best desk ever.

That’s gonna be a big dart frog setup! How many froggos are you planning to put in there and what species/morph?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s gonna be a big dart frog setup! How many froggos are you planning to put in there and what species/morph?

Not really sure yet!

I'm thinking D. tinctorius 'azureus' but I've been tempted by New River and Oyapok as well.

I'm thinking I'm going to start with somewhere between 3-5 and see if the tank is big enough for that many. The first sign of aggression and I'll be rehoming a few, but I'm hoping that with enough vegetation and decor they'll get along.

I know I could cram more in there if I went with auratus, galacts, or terribilis, but I just love the color of tincs man.

Contemplating making an 15"x18" pond and putting some shrimp or celestial pearl danio/guppies in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Not really sure yet!

I'm thinking D. tinctorius 'azureus' but I've been tempted by New River and Oyapok as well.

I'm thinking I'm going to start with somewhere between 3-5 and see if the tank is big enough for that many. The first sign of aggression and I'll be rehoming a few, but I'm hoping that with enough vegetation and decor they'll get along.

I know I could cram more in there if I went with auratus, galacts, or terribilis, but I just love the color of tincs man.

Contemplating making an 15"x18" pond and putting some shrimp or celestial pearl danio/guppies in there.

Nice! That’s going to be an incredible enclosure. If I wasn’t generally space-constrained I’d love to do something similar, but I don’t think I could be happy with one species/morph. I’d probably end up putting two smaller enclosures in that space myself and doing a group of 2-3 tincs in one and auratus or terribilis in the other.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

HungryMedusa posted:

My jungle carpet python eggs are pipping!

#12 there had it's head out and popped back in when I tried to take a picture.

I can't believe snakes can be so cute!

Congrats on the hatchlings. I love seeing babysneks pip. It's the cutest loving thing. :kimchi:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Not really sure yet!

Tincs can get quite large, but they're also bold and will happily use all the space. They'll do a certain amount of "aggression" behaviors no matter what, so don't get too surprised by a little wrestling, it's natural.

I'd encourage you to get your setup planted and any automated misting or whatever going and let it settle for a few weeks before putting frogs in. The frogs are always stressed by being rehomed anyway, so it's better to not have to do extensive replanting/rearranging during their first few couple weeks in the tank, which is something you may find yourself doing a lot when you first set up the vivarium. Also, letting it sit for a while will let the mini ecosystem go through any quick explosions/crashes of e.g. microbiota, fungi, etc.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Tincs can get quite large, but they're also bold and will happily use all the space. They'll do a certain amount of "aggression" behaviors no matter what, so don't get too surprised by a little wrestling, it's natural.

I'd encourage you to get your setup planted and any automated misting or whatever going and let it settle for a few weeks before putting frogs in. The frogs are always stressed by being rehomed anyway, so it's better to not have to do extensive replanting/rearranging during their first few couple weeks in the tank, which is something you may find yourself doing a lot when you first set up the vivarium. Also, letting it sit for a while will let the mini ecosystem go through any quick explosions/crashes of e.g. microbiota, fungi, etc.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm moving slow on this one, I haven't bought any frogs yet - plan is maybe in September or late August, but I'm not terribly attached to any outcomes. Just got my driftwood in, I'm getting some more ohko stone, but here's the general layout.

Today I'm ordering plants. My thought is lots of ferns and very few bromeliads.

I love ferns :]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you planning to do a wet or a dry bottom?

After my first ever dart frog tank failed badly, I've only ever done wet bottoms: that is, an inch or two of some kind of fill (usually hydroton expanded clay pellets, also called hydro balls), a layer of fine mesh plastic screening, then my base substrate layer (ABG or coco bark mixed with sphagnum moss or whatever you're using, do some research on this) and finally the decorations and plants and any top substrate (leaf litter, sphagnum moss, etc). What this does is give water a place to go, whether that's a water feature or the water you're spraying into the tank. You allow a half inch to an inch of water to stand down there, which keeps the environment humidity up, gives plant roots a place to reach, allows some beneficial bacteria to develop which helps to convert waste, and has some air space to reduce the amount of rot that takes place in the substrate layers. Optionally you can put a drain into the bottom of your tank, which makes it easier to get that water out (I haven't bothered with mine: siphoning it out once every couple months with a long narrow plastic tube siphon seems to work fine).
Here's a blog post on Josh's Frogs with a basic rundown of the wet/false bottom approach, albeit one where they're also promoting products they sell. Also, they're a bit too alarmist about immediately dumping all your substrate if it ever gets immersed, that's a bit drastic, you can make a judgement call after draining to see if the stuff is rotting excessively or not, and if it is rotting, one option is to just add more dry substrate on top, as would happen naturally in the wild.

For what I'd call a "dry bottom" tank, you'll want to keep a very close eye on any misting system you do, or your hand-misting, and also pay close attention to your humidity sensor/gauge/whatever. You'll need to keep humidity up, while still allowing good air flow so it doesn't get too stagnant in the tank, while also not dumping in enough water over time that the substrate becomes saturated and starts to rot. I'm not gonna say it's impossible, I've seen plenty of setups that managed it, but you will want to pay attention daily for a good long while, especially if you're using any kind of automated mister/sprayer setup. A hygrometer like you'd get at a garden store can tell you how moist the substrate is getting and you may even want to excavate down to the bottom glass in one spot so you can immediately see if there's standing water accumulating.

e. I've never used ferns, I bet they can look really nice, just watch out for sizing as you need them to stay really small.