Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hojo is arguably the real villain of FFVII, as everything is his fault. He's the one who decided to build his son out of spare parts from John Carpenter's The Thing.

But undoubtedly, the greatest of his atrocities is being responsible for all the events behind Dirge of Cerberus. In short, if it hadn't been for him, that crappy game would never have come into existence. HOJO! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Getting Bio this early is just really fun. With a quick Blizzara detour.

Also Mystery Sword is great. Something I really like is how it's got lots of quieter bits where the ability sparkly sounds end up standing out and that's always just stuck with me.

And I just realised now that I'd never seen Limit Glove's animation before.

Kuja's pretty great, but I don't think his introduction here is particularly impressive.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Beatrix is awesome. She's probably my favourite character in the entire cast of the game.

Never bought Kuja as a compelling villain though, which probably is one of the reasons I couldn't get through the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I still like Beatrix, but something about the way she's portrayed just rubs me the wrong way. She's basically one of those characters that's written TOO perfectly. I'm not saying she's a Mary Sue, but she sure as hell hits most of the same points: loved by absolutely everyone, extraordinarily talented and strong enough to trounce the heroes with almost zero effort, never REALLY loses a fight, gets a big Save The Day moment mid-way through the next disc, and is just basically an all-around flawless individual.

Though I guess the biggest thing that keeps her out of that category is that she isn't nearly as insufferable as most of those fanfic-level obvious-author-self-insert perfection blobs. She's actually pretty likable and somewhat sympathetic.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I never considered Beatrix one of my favorite characters but she gets bonus points for all the great music her appearances usually come with.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's not fair to compare any other villain to Lord Yuna.

When all the villains meet and share their evil accomplishments, he keeps getting tearful standing ovations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kanfy posted:

I never considered Beatrix one of my favorite characters but she gets bonus points for all the great music her appearances usually come with.

That definitely biased my view of her, I'll admit.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Kuja is a total boss. He's great every time he shows up.

Beatrix is pretty great as well. She's so much better than you, and she'll kick your teeth in to prove it. It's one hell of a way to end a disc. God, this game is amazing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bufuman posted:

I still like Beatrix, but something about the way she's portrayed just rubs me the wrong way. She's basically one of those characters that's written TOO perfectly. I'm not saying she's a Mary Sue, but she sure as hell hits most of the same points: loved by absolutely everyone, extraordinarily talented and strong enough to trounce the heroes with almost zero effort, never REALLY loses a fight, gets a big Save The Day moment mid-way through the next disc, and is just basically an all-around flawless individual.

Though I guess the biggest thing that keeps her out of that category is that she isn't nearly as insufferable as most of those fanfic-level obvious-author-self-insert perfection blobs. She's actually pretty likable and somewhat sympathetic.

I can agree with all of this. Do we really need to fight and lose to her three times?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

It's not fair to compare any other villain to Lord Yuna.

When all the villains meet and share their evil accomplishments, he keeps getting tearful standing ovations.

In the grand scale of things, many villains have caused more suffering than Yuna, he doesn't top any charts when it comes to body count. The reason why he's a memorable villain is more because he's so utterly despicable, the way he acts and talks and the things he does make you legitimately hate him which is not something you can say about most bad guys.

Villains can be good for different reasons, another good example is Luca Blight who is no less memorable despite being completely different from Yuna. As far as sheer brutality and relentlessness goes, I can't think of many characters who come close to him and the game does a great job portraying just what a beast of a man he is despite him for the most part being just a guy with a sword and a whole lot of insane rage.

The scene where your army confronts him is one of my favorite scenes in video games, and only partially because of the rad music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-k8jWIKT6w

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hate-able yet interesting villains can be hard to do simply because revealing stuff about backstory or motivations can often soften the blow of their evil.

Luckily, Miang from Xenogears doesn't have that problem. She was the best.

Kuja used to be my favorite RPG villain until Xenogears.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The biggest issue I have with Kuja as the main villain is that he's written a bit too well in terms of the overall plot (and spoilers down the line.)
He's overshadowed a lot. Take his intro for example: It's much like Golbez's in that you have a big showdown with a notable other person and get your butt kicked and great leitmotifs, however Golbez stole the show as soon as he appeared where Kuja just kinda... Sat there, watched and let Beatrix do everything. As the 'man behind the (wo)man' he works and he is very theatrical and well accompanied by music but I don't get that villainous dread from him until he does a thing.

Come to think of it, there's a lot of parallels in Kuja and Golbez which is probably why I don't find Kuja to be that good. He falls flat in most comparisons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are a number of parallels you can draw between Kuja and other villains, but I'll refrain from going into them until we see more of him.

As far as things go for now, Kuja is meant to be overshadowed. The most immediate threat is still Alexandria attacking Cleyra and Queen Brahne is still very much causing issues with the indomitable Beatrix spearheading the attack. Kuja's introduction is meant to validate all those remarks that the rumors of Queen Brahne getting up to suspicious activities are true, as he is the man that caused all of that. For now, he's just casting a shadow onto the proceedings.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I think the key to a lot of Kuja and his behaviour comes down to the fact that he's quite arrogant and theatrical. He's obviously the one pulling the strings behind Brahne and we don't know what his goal is. Plus it's not hard to imagine him being the kind of villain who likes to set the stage and to see how things play out for his amusement.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are a number of parallels you can draw between Kuja and other villains, but I'll refrain from going into them until we see more of him.

As far as things go for now, Kuja is meant to be overshadowed. The most immediate threat is still Alexandria attacking Cleyra and Queen Brahne is still very much causing issues with the indomitable Beatrix spearheading the attack. Kuja's introduction is meant to validate all those remarks that the rumors of Queen Brahne getting up to suspicious activities are true, as he is the man that caused all of that. For now, he's just casting a shadow onto the proceedings.

Exactly. Kuja is more into manipulating other people than actually getting his hands dirty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bufuman posted:

there are tons of characters like that in games, but beatrix is female so you felt the need to point it out

not to mention her big flaw is, you know, willingly working for the guys that are genociding rat people

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

there are tons of characters like that in games, but beatrix is female so you felt the need to point it out

I'm pretty sure that's not what they said, don't be an idiot. It's a FFIX thread, not a "games in general" thread, of course people are going to talk about characters specific to FFIX.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 24, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Endorph posted:

There are many characters built up like her, yes. But you also usually get to beat them at some point and show just how far you've come to surpass their legendary power. With Beatrix? Not so much. You lose every fight against her, and she jumps to your side before it starts to get to a point where you might have a chance against her in battle.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to shove implications of a sexist overtone into my posts. The hell did I ever do to you?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Should I point out that after a point, Beatrix loses to the monsters Kuju calls up. The monsters that you take down and then you go on to take down stronger ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Things are getting too spoilery even with the tags. Don't post any spoilers that are important to the plot, please, even in tags.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I want to know how Vivi and Quina got to that courtyard to join in on the Beatrix fight. They show up late enough that she thinks she's still only fighting two people right before the battle transition happens. We all know so far that Quina has a ridiculously one-track mind about food and eating. Did Vivi follow him/her and drag him/her through the building? If so, that was pretty quick, all things considered. They seem to make a great pair.

As a kid, I always thought the bandana over Beatrix's eye was a slab of stainless steel or something. Blurry PS1 textures on a CRT TV, etc.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

liquidypoo posted:

I want to know how Vivi and Quina got to that courtyard to join in on the Beatrix fight.

Remember, Quina told Zidane that she would eat the food inside the palace. S/he found a backdoor and Vivi followed h/er, then they stumbled into the courtyard (on the way to the dining hall) right as Beatrice finished up her speech! :v:

Edit: Alternatively, Quina wanted to know what Beatrice tasted like.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 24, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

liquidypoo posted:

As a kid, I always thought the bandana over Beatrix's eye was a slab of stainless steel or something. Blurry PS1 textures on a CRT TV, etc.

You're not alone. I always saw it as some weird quarter helmet or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

I want to know how Vivi and Quina got to that courtyard to join in on the Beatrix fight.
Very carefully.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They moved REALLY fast while Freya was flashing back.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They moved REALLY fast while Freya was flashing back.

Flashbacks are like an alternate dimension; you can never be sure how fast time will pass there.

Actually I'd like to see a game with a flashback, then when action goes back to the person flashing back everybody else has been doing stuff while they were in their reverie, instead of pretending all memories are instantaneous or everyone is very patient.

On the topic of music in this game, I'm kind of surprised how many great tracks there are that aren't Melodies of Life remixes. While I was playing through, all I really noticed was how often they went back to the leitmotif.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It wasn't actually til today that I noticed Festival of the Hunt is actually fairly similar to The Landing from FF8 (at least, the opening portion).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vivi just pointed to the roof and said "hey, is that a frog" and then held on for dear life.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

liquidypoo posted:

It's not???

---

I noticed the petrify frog monster things in burmecia look exactly like the curse frogs in dark souls 1. Curse petrifies you and kills you, the curse follows and reduces your max HP on revive.

The best part about running into the curse frogs is the petrified corpses of other players playing the single player game that litter the corridor :getin: (that you shatter by rolling through by accident or on purpose)

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

It looks like a metal eyepatch to me. It's all shiny looking in those models.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I always figured it was a silk bandage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If the wiki is to be believed, it's made of silver but in the original concept art it was cloth:

I guess they figured silver would be more metal.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kanfy posted:

If the wiki is to be believed, it's made of silver but in the original concept art it was cloth:

:golfclap:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kanfy posted:

It looks like she stole it from Locke from FF6. I think I like the metal better.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
A big slab of metal permanently wrapped around her head would be agony. Think of the chafing!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Plavski posted:

A big slab of metal permanently wrapped around her head would be agony. Think of the chafing!

The first time it blocked a hit it would become a big slab of metal embedded in her head.

Maybe Beatrix is badass enough she doesn't need to worry about practicality or blocking.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Aithon posted:

The first time it blocked a hit it would become a big slab of metal embedded in her head.

Maybe Beatrix is badass enough she doesn't need to worry about practicality or blocking.
She presumably learned her lesson after the first time she got hit in the face.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Aithon posted:

I think that's an ability you inherently possess simply by being a character in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

She presumably learned her lesson after the first time she got hit in the face.

I saw an interesting theory about that. I'll share it after Cleyra.

• Locked thread