Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The only PoV I can offer is reducing the size just a little to save 500-1000 seems like a very near-sighted solution. The second you wish you had just a little more space you'll realize the cost savings were not worth it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I guess there's no possibility of crane access, otherwise you could have a temp workshop dropped in about the right place on 6 piers, use it for a year and see whether you want to drop 50k on a better one (getting about 90% of your purchase price minus crane cost back on the temp one)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Do you plan to stay there forever?
Do you actually need the space for any office type work, or is that part just a luxury - you appear to have a large house that’d do for that?
Have you ever explored renting or having shared use of a workshop somewhere locally?

I think in general the only garden building of that size that’d have enough value at resale would be if it was fully self contained as a granny flat with garden, or even a whole separate tiny-house type thing if it had separate access.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Do you have or plan to get a patio? You could get a small shed or closet just large enough to store your tools and do your hobbying outside. You could keep your tools while deciding on a permanent shop, and working outdoors means easyn cleanup, youou can literally just let the wind blow the dust away.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Not Wolverine posted:

Do you have or plan to get a patio? You could get a small shed or closet just large enough to store your tools and do your hobbying outside. You could keep your tools while deciding on a permanent shop, and working outdoors means easyn cleanup, youou can literally just let the wind blow the dust away.

He lives on Plague Island, so the rain would prevent working outside for most of the year.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Dave posted:

The only PoV I can offer is reducing the size just a little to save 500-1000 seems like a very near-sighted solution. The second you wish you had just a little more space you'll realize the cost savings were not worth it at all.

It would be more than that but yes, I agree. Reducing the size down to 50sqm (from 64) would probably cut costs by like £10k.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I guess there's no possibility of crane access, otherwise you could have a temp workshop dropped in about the right place on 6 piers, use it for a year and see whether you want to drop 50k on a better one (getting about 90% of your purchase price minus crane cost back on the temp one)

It would have to be able to crane it about 50m from a tight residential street, over the house, which feels like a tough ask.

wooger posted:

Do you plan to stay there forever?

This is the question. Best guess right now is that I'm going to be here 10 more years at least, just based on my current trajectory, and this is a growing town (with house prices to match). Ironically (and I'm perhaps giving too much away here, so folks don't do internet detectiving), but I chose it for a balance between cost and access to London, which is now moot. I'm sure things will reset somewhat after the plague, but remote work is more popular now (and it's always been my preferred option).

I would eventually like to move to a (disused?) farm type place eventually. But that's beaucoup bucks and may never happen.

wooger posted:

Do you actually need the space for any office type work, or is that part just a luxury - you appear to have a large house that’d do for that?

Office work is my day job, so while I have space in the house for it, it's a luxury to add one in the garden, yes. That said, outfitting that office would be a business expense, so it comes out (somewhat) cheaper than retail.

wooger posted:

Have you ever explored renting or having shared use of a workshop somewhere locally?

I have, industrial units are about £10k/year locally. There's one hackspace type thing which is part of a university about half an hour away, but I don't know how good it is.

wooger posted:

I think in general the only garden building of that size that’d have enough value at resale would be if it was fully self contained as a granny flat with garden, or even a whole separate tiny-house type thing if it had separate access.

Yeah I agree, though I'm not super worried about resale, I could probably sell it on the guest house angle with appropriate disclaimers.

drgitlin posted:

He lives on Plague Island, so the rain would prevent working outside for most of the year.

And neighbours the rest of the year, yeah. Nice idea though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

It would have to be able to crane it about 50m from a tight residential street, over the house, which feels like a tough ask.

Using my extensive experience of *checks notes* hiring 3 cranes at work in the last 10 years, I'd say that's out of the question. You can buy flat pack frefabs that can be carried through a standard doorway but they're smaller than you want and not pretty.

Personally I'd say finish the house then see whether you want to carry on with building projects but I understand the landscaping restrictions too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Using my extensive experience of *checks notes* hiring 3 cranes at work in the last 10 years, I'd say that's out of the question.

It would ironically be slightly closer to crane it in from a train.

Personally I'd say finish the house then see whether you want to carry on with building projects but I understand the landscaping restrictions too.

Something that's interesting about workshops, I've found, is that a lot of the projects you do there wind up being low-risk practice runs for nicer things you want to do in your living space.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

In hindsight you should have built the workshop before you started the house :v:

Actually you could have built it as a place to live in too while your demo was happening.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In hindsight you should have built the workshop before you started the house :v:

Actually you could have built it as a place to live in too while your demo was happening.

There was a time when I seriously considered doing the whole thing myself. No way I could've afforded both at that time anyway, as it was I went into quite a bit of debt to get it done, which I'll still be paying off for another year or so. I'm not planning on doing that again, which is one of the reasons some thing are going a bit slower.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Working through Approved Document M and it just took a giant poo poo on my plans.

All new buildings above 50sqm (i.e. which are subject to building regulations in general) must be fully wheelchair accessible and (more importantly) contain a fully compliant wheelchair-accessible toilet. Apart from having a bunch of expensive requirements (like pull alarms and two sinks and a dozen grip bars) it also has to be a minimum of 2200x2000 which means I'm going to have to rejig everything.

I have a rough plan, going to have to think it through further.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You might be able to have an extra large bathroom as big as bathroom+server room that is all ready for an extra wall after the final inspection. If you think it might have a future as a grandma cottage, having a larger bathroom (and running any rough plumbing that has to go through the slab) to make that conversion easy would be a good selling point down the line.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

49.99sqm it is then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Working through Approved Document M and it just took a giant poo poo on my plans.

All new buildings above 50sqm (i.e. which are subject to building regulations in general) must be fully wheelchair accessible and (more importantly) contain a fully compliant wheelchair-accessible toilet. Apart from having a bunch of expensive requirements (like pull alarms and two sinks and a dozen grip bars) it also has to be a minimum of 2200x2000 which means I'm going to have to rejig everything.

I have a rough plan, going to have to think it through further.

What in... *why*? I can see that for "business" structures, but for a private outbuilding?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

What in... *why*? I can see that for "business" structures, but for a private outbuilding?

It seems a little out there to me, but they have been doing that sort of thing for new housing lately.

As far as I can tell from ADM there's no exceptions, but I'll have a look at the legislation.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah so if we look at the legislation, it defines 7 classes of exemption:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/2/made

None of these apply to me. In fact the requirements for a "small building" exemption are even worse than I thought; under 30sqm.

The relevant part of the regs is really short.

"Reasonable provisions", that's it. But outside the general exemptions, there's no exemptions specified in AD M2 (buildings other than dwellings), so it's gonna apply.

I'll talk to the local authority, because it's ultimately their call on whether it's reasonable or not. I found some interesting commentary here:
https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/impact-part-m-design-new-housing

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Do these regulations apply because it's a habitable structure? And if so what makes it habitable? Heating, insulation, plumbing? Some or all of those?

Seems weird to me that you could presumably renovate your actual house without building a fully compliant bathroom, you know in the part where people would actually live, but then a new build garden shed has to have that stuff. Like I don't think you're reading anything wrong but wow it's just so bizarre to me. Interested to see what you end up finding out from the local council.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah it seems totally nuts to me that every detached 2 car garage in the UK has to have a handicap accessible bathroom. Maybe this is why detached 2 car garages don't exist in the UK? I have to imagine there's some exception for non-inhabited, non-commercial spaces :ohdear:

Looking at your link, it looks like agricultural buildings are exempt so, I dunno, get a chicken and a bunch of grow lights and a few tomato plants and call it a greenhouse until it gets inspected??

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I guess colin furze got some kind of exception to put a bomb shelter beneath his shed in the UK. It's only accessible by ladder. Have you thought about getting 10 million subscribers, JB?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rexxed posted:

I guess colin furze got some kind of exception to put a bomb shelter beneath his shed in the UK. It's only accessible by ladder. Have you thought about getting 10 million subscribers, JB?
One of the things specifically listed in the legislation JB linked is nuclear fallout shelters, lol

E: JB have you priced burying this thing???!?!?!

E2: Nm, still limited to 30 sq. meters. How about 2 30 sq meter buildings connected by a tempermanent breezeway?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 24, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah it seems totally nuts to me that every detached 2 car garage in the UK has to have a handicap accessible bathroom.

You think 2 car garages are 50 square metres? Not here - That’s bigger than a 2 bedroom flat over here.

My parents have a 2 car detached garage, but you’ll only get them for custom builds nowadays as houses are built so densely.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It sounds like the worst of both worlds to me. The expense and problems of owning a house, but you still got neighbors shoved in real close and no real privacy in yor own yard (if there's even one in certain circumstances) and you probably can't make too much noise at certain times of day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Is it < 30sqm? Also the legislation says "building" but defines "building" circularly (same as it does for dwelling). It does say "erection or modification" so maybe digging doesn't count?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do these regulations apply because it's a habitable structure? And if so what makes it habitable? Heating, insulation, plumbing? Some or all of those?

No they apply more stringently because it *isn't* a habitable structure. Actual houses can be built to be adaptable, i.e. enough space for all this but not necessarily actually fitted.

Seems weird to me that you could presumably renovate your actual house without building a fully compliant bathroom, you know in the part where people would actually live, but then a new build garden shed has to have that stuff. Like I don't think you're reading anything wrong but wow it's just so bizarre to me.

One thing that generally holds true is that there are much more lax restrictions on modifications to existing houses than there are for new houses, because it's often harder and/or more costly to retrofit these, and I'm assuming because most new builds are by giant corporations.

It would have to be a very large garden shed, and even then I think you could argue it's for agriculture and/or "a detached building into which people do not normally go" if you're only using it for storage, but I don't know if there's any legal precendents.

Interested to see what you end up finding out from the local council.

Me too. I like that I can also shop around for an inspector that will approve it based on their interpretation of the rules. Planning permission is council-only, but the council competes free-market style for building control approvals with private sector authorised approvers.

wooger posted:

You think 2 car garages are 50 square metres? Not here - That’s bigger than a 2 bedroom flat over here.

30sqm, I was wrong originally.

wooger posted:

My parents have a 2 car detached garage, but you’ll only get them for custom builds nowadays as houses are built so densely.

Same, but in a relatively new build, nothing accessible in there.

I suspect building control will give a pass on this.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Do you have 7 years worth of hay bails?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

We cant speak for you but if having a room full of awesome tools and space to use them is something that makes you happy and you are planning on staying there for a few years then you should 100% build a proper workshop :)

I think you should speak to a professional before getting too worried about all the building reg requirements. Enough people do this that it cant be impossible!

eg -
if you took out the wall between your server room and toilet then it is big enough for a disabled toilet? you can build that wall back in after sign off (and remove it if you move out in 10 years).
Disabled access requirements - maybe you just need to add a nice path into your garden landscaping requirements. Not a terrible thing as it will help you!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Disabled access requirements - maybe you just need to add a nice path into your garden landscaping requirements. Not a terrible thing as it will help you!

There already is one. Fortunately "need access to wheel in machinery" has similar requirements to "need access to wheel in yourself".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

There already is one. Fortunately "need access to wheel in machinery" has similar requirements to "need access to wheel in yourself".

Yeah I think pretty much every single disabled access requirement is good news for workshop access too.. the wider disabled access doors are awesome for getting equipment and larger items both in and out.

If you build this and comply with the building regs you also will leave yourself in the position that when you sell it in 10 years your workshop also goes on the listing as workshop/detached granny annexe which is gonna add more value to your property and make it more universally attractive to buyers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

*subject to modifications in line with change of use under building regulations

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What happens if you ditch the toilet completely? They can't force you to run sewerage to the building surely?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

What happens if you ditch the toilet completely? They can't force you to run sewerage to the building surely?

Yes, they can. If the building has to conform to AD M2 then it needs a wheelchair accessible toilet on the main floor.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yes, they can. If the building has to conform to AD M2 then it needs a wheelchair accessible toilet on the main floor.

Could you make the toilet part of one of the larger rooms and then put up some freestanding privacy blockers as furniture afterwards or is that too much engineering around the issue? Having a sink in the workshop area would probably be good now and then.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Could you make the toilet part of one of the larger rooms and then put up some freestanding privacy blockers as furniture afterwards or is that too much engineering around the issue? Having a sink in the workshop area would probably be good now and then.

It might be too much solutionising, yeah. I'll probably put a sink in the workshop proper, or put one in the bathroom that's comfortable for blade sharpening.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Idk the exemption where there is reasonable access to the "rest of the building" sounds like it covers it, regardless of whether the building has access or not.

I cannot imagine that all the "home offices" people have had plonked in their gardens contain wheelchair accessible facilities and are presumably grandfathered in on the grounds of the main building not being compliant in the first place because are you really going to buy a house where you can only physically get into the out building?

Edit: I think in my one experience with building control I found them very reasonable. I might be imagining it but I might have even have had a conversation about wheelchair access that got written off immediately because a) it was a loft extension and b) the ground floor access was up a narrow set of stairs so there was no possibly way you could ever get a wheelchair into the place anyway

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 25, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Idk the exemption where there is reasonable access to the "rest of the building" sounds like it covers it, regardless of whether the building has access or not.

I cannot imagine that all the "home offices" people have had plonked in their gardens contain wheelchair accessible facilities and are presumably grandfathered in on the grounds of the main building not being compliant in the first place because are you really going to buy a house where you can only physically get into the out building?

Edit: I think in my one experience with building control I found them very reasonable. I might be imagining it but I might have even have had a conversation about wheelchair access that got written off immediately because a) it was a loft extension and b) the ground floor access was up a narrow set of stairs so there was no possibly way you could ever get a wheelchair into the place anyway

Extensions are dealt with differently to new buildings, which is why this didn't come up when I had my extensions done. Most home offices will be under 30sqm.

The main issue is that all these rules aren't written for this use case, but because of the way the exemptions are written I'm getting caught in it anyway, purely based on the assumption that any building over 30sqm warrants this treatment.

I'm not entirely blind to their reasoning. You want as much of the structures in the country as possible to be compatible with people with less mobility, new buildings are the most reasonable ones to target hardest, you need to force commercial builders to do this because otherwise they don't give a poo poo, and you need to put in some reasonable exceptions for people building at home.

I agree that I think this'll get a pass from building control, but nonetheless that's (IMO) based on their discretion rather than the wording of the regulations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I think I might just not do the outbuilding. Save a shitload of money and work. Maybe compromise with a 30sqm workshop, no office, no planning permission, no building control.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 27, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I think I might just not do the outbuilding. Save a shitload of money and work. Maybe compromise with a 30sqm workshop, no office, no planning permission, no building control.

I think the right choice.

You have a lot of space in the house tbh

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sounds very sensible!

Can you build a lean to/carport to one side on top of the 30sqm? Would be super useful for storage and as outdoor covered workspace to make the internal workshop space go further.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Sounds very sensible!

Can you build a lean to/carport to one side on top of the 30sqm? Would be super useful for storage and as outdoor covered workspace to make the internal workshop space go further.

Ah well there we get into exciting planning grey area, as it could be argued that "any part of the structure" was then within 2m of a boundary. But yes I'm gonna do something like that regardless. Hooks for hanging ladders out of sight, etc. Probably just a fixed awning or similar.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Probably easy enough to rip the awning and ladder hooks off if someone ends up whining about it to the council, but I sorta doubt it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Probably easy enough to rip the awning and ladder hooks off if someone ends up whining about it to the council, but I sorta doubt it'll happen.

Yeah they'd have to actually know the rules in order to even consider it, and I get on well with all my neighbours. Not to say they're dumb, but unless you specifically go looking there's no good reason to know the height/boundary limits on permitted developments.