Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm username "sanefrancisco"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

this is great, although also scary since it's not exactly uncommon for people like this to get thrown under the bus because the law considers what they did super-hacking and lol at trying to convince the olds in charge otherwise

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i sometimes get imposer syndrome at work but reading stories like this make me feel better :unsmith:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kuvo posted:

i sometimes get imposer syndrome at work but reading stories like this make me feel better :unsmith:

yeah that’s a pretty dumb move to include the credentials in plaintext in the app and not authenticate a public api but we’re talking conservatives here, so it might be dumber than industry standard dumb

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kuvo posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kuvo posted:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its probably just me overreacting. But since i tend to lurk a lot and post less and if the forums go away I just want to say i have very much appreciated these threads and the posters in them.

Heres hoping that i just look like a goober when nothing happens.

This is very good

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 13, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Its probably just me overreacting. But since i tend to lurk a lot and post less and if the forums go away I just want to say i have very much appreciated these threads and the posters in them.

why do you think the forums are going away?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Shame Boy posted:

why do you think the forums are going away?

Lowtax has been begging for money again but he's got it now so crisis averted

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

Lowtax has been begging for money again but he's got it now so crisis averted

yeah i was gonna say, his patreon is up to like $9400 a month, that better be enough to run the rickety-rear end forums with

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

except he owes like 60k and needs more surgery but no I'm sure the ghost of Vilerat is protecting his remaining vertibrae

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sadus posted:

except he owes like 60k and needs more surgery but no I'm sure the ghost of Vilerat is protecting his remaining vertibrae

well he did also say he'd be running the forums until it kills him so i guess we'll see

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

well he did also say he'd be running the forums until it kills him so i guess we'll see

lol yeah it sounds like it might be soon

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When lowtax dies. ZDR still has the keys to get in right?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

rough chuckle

sadus posted:

i instead hope the ghost of mittani takes some of that millions he got from EESA and is quietly giving him a handout

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Methanar posted:

When lowtax dies. ZDR still has the keys to get in right?

zdr ghosted several months ago but returned just now citing a broken phone.

i’m sure it had nothing to do with lowtax calling him out in the thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Midjack posted:

Yeah, that was some really suspicious timing.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, that was some really suspicious timing.

what did lowtax call him out about?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Raere posted:

what did lowtax call him out about?

Begging him for money and then disappearing for months.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

gave him $4k

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duz posted:

gave him $4k

:staredog:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I love lowtax but in the 2 decades it's been around has he ever hired a single person for the site that hasn't stabbed him in the back?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

lol remember when zdr came in, banned tori, then disappeared from the forums until lowtax himself called him out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

just click on lowtax’s posts in this (warning gbs) thread for the story so we don’t derail this any further:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184

that said, i really like you guys and this thread especially and I will miss this place whenever it finally disappears.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
these forums have helped me during my darkest times a few years ago; i am alive because of them. there is a lot of trash on here but it's my trash

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
zdr was always an idiot i hope that poo poo-head junkie overdoses

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lain Iwakura posted:

these forums have helped me during my darkest times a few years ago; i am alive because of them. there is a lot of trash on here but it's my trash

your posting isn’t that bad buddy

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

this thread itself is one of my favorites. it was even cited on risky business podcast

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Midjack posted:

that said, i really like you guys and this thread especially and I will miss this place whenever it finally disappears.

:same:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

He was posting in the qcs tech issues thread around the end of Feb

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

zdr was always an idiot i hope that poo poo-head junkie overdoses

gently caress off with that poo poo. zdr was always nice and addiction is a lifelong struggle that doesnt deserve death.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the forums would still be serving http-only without him

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Raere posted:

I love lowtax but in the 2 decades it's been around has he ever hired a single person for the site that hasn't stabbed him in the back?

It's part of the charm and entertainment you buy into here.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the addict stuff is complete speculation anyway

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i think zdr also finally freed the forums of myISAM tables

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i feel sorry for the guy at the nsa who had to buy an account to carry on reading my posts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
yes ZDR already did a pretty major moving of the whole forum database onto a much more modern system which also makes it easier to run backups, as part of the prerequisite work for getting stuff completely off the old physical boxes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Soricidus posted:

i feel sorry for the guy at the nsa who had to buy an account to carry on reading my posts
ya but unironically there's been chats that'd get that attention pre-bellingcat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

and how they keep having to buy a new anime avatar when someone changes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soricidus posted:

*looks at camera* it’s a living!