Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

agradine posted:

Weird, I tend to think of the Sealed Temple Island Shrine as the least offensive of the four tablet dungeons, unless I've got a Bard and access to Float.

Edit: Ohhhhh that Sealed Temple. Yeah, no, the Sealed Temple is worst handheld remake bonus dungeon, which is really saying something.

Istory by far. Don't even have to fight the boss, come out with a bunch of good loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

derra posted:

Istory by far. Don't even have to fight the boss, come out with a bunch of good loot.

Yeah but it requires Fork, which seems to be a big pain for a good amount of teams on GBA/snes.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

derra posted:

It's a little more obnoxious to navigate. Also the mobs are more annoying to deal with. Especially the Tonberries Dingleberries.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Island shrine mobs are more annoying (Zuu clone) or lethal (Samurai) and Wendigo sucks and you gotta run out.

Granted I do post pyramid tablet dungeons like 20% or the time but Istory is by far the best of them, easy in easy out, and the loot is worthwhile.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So as it turns out, Project Demi stops the Aegis Shield from burning. You'll get it even after the fire.

Weird.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Well, Thief/Dancer/Samurai/Cannoneer complete and with it all jobs but Necromancer, dear lord. Cannoneer is a lot of fun, but it's a bizarrely weak-feeling class to (normally) leave until so late in the game despite being able to toss out all the status effects

Shinryu was, as always with any sources of berserk/dark, a complete cakewalk

NED got his butt lamped and then I just used up the Fuma Shurikens my grinding bought me on the rest of his parts. He got off one Almagest, but I'd levelled to the high 40s while watching Netflix so it did not exactly make an impression

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx:

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

:toot:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

So as it turns out, Project Demi stops the Aegis Shield from burning. You'll get it even after the fire.

Weird.

How do you run the numbers and let it burn then??

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fool_of_sound posted:

How do you run the numbers and let it burn then??

Play the clearly superior Steam version.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Got tired of fiesta runs and opted to break the game over my knee, so here's a tentative "not quite 100%" run trip report, albeit pre-Sealed Temple:

-I missed two chests somewhere, still absolutely zero clue where even with FAQs, so you should probably literally just play the game with a FAQ open on a screen in front of you the entire time if you're going to do this idiocy
-I actually just played mages the entire time, except for Knights for Karnak 500 because I didn't want to have to heal, basically just mash Summoner every encounter
-Turns out between L5 Death and Mystic Knight, plus Reflect and Sing access, you will hit every single boss's gimmick or weakness and it won't be rough at all, leading me to...

100% run boss fight ordering by difficulty:
1. Twintania (unique rare drop Tinklebell, so you can't Return scum, and common steal second Titan's Axe from the Gigaflare form so you have to let the whole fight cycle through once to eat up maximum time every attempt)
1.5. honorable mention Crystal Guardians (they each have rare drop Ash, there's exactly 3 in the game beyond those, so whatever number between 3 and 7 inclusive satisfies your definition of 100% is the one to - if you don't care about having more than 3, they drop off this list entirely, if you want more than 4 you'll be resetting until the end of time, I didn't even bother getting one)
2. Famed Mimic Gogo (rare steal third Gold Hairpin, and on SNES/GBA Return doesn't reset the Tower's air timer so you actually have to walk back to him every seven minutes, plus it takes him about a minute to end the fight so you have less time than you think you do)
3. Omniscient (rare steal second Kornago Gourd, plus he's at the top of Fork Tower so maximum opportunities to do something stupid and required prep time)
4. Azulmagia (bet you didn't know this idiot has a unique Titan's Gloves to rare steal)
---very large gap---
5. NED (rare steal Ragnarok but no common steal, plus you can !Sing yourself into the stratosphere first. The other three rare steals are a Fuma Shuriken and two weapons you can rare steal elsewhere)
---very large gap---
6. Gilgamesh (the difficulty here is in remembering to steal the Genji stuff, not in actually executing)
---small gap---
7. Let's be real here, the entire rest of the game's down here, the next hardest "boss" is probably stealing Dragon Whisker from Stingray or something, outside of the Sealed Temple.

Would recommend GBA for Quicksave access, although there's an argument for Matrix since Return works right in the Gogo fight on Matrix (actually resets the timer to start-of-battle time).

Beyond scumming rare items, it's really satisfying to just have the ability to kill everything on sight. Used Magic Pots to get 105 AP away from Rapid Fire on everyone without ever touching Ranger, killed Omega before I even walked into Apanda's room with Bards, all kinds of fun stuff.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

And that's the last one, I'll make the donation later today :woop:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

-I missed two chests somewhere, still absolutely zero clue where even with FAQs, so you should probably literally just play the game with a FAQ open on a screen in front of you the entire time if you're going to do this idiocy

You probably missed the Iron Draft and Hi-Potion hidden in a random room of the Island Shrine.

(The Iron Draft is in a similar spot to the right.)

There's absolutely no indication these treasures exist, so most people never find them.

Edit: The other items that are super easy to miss are the two cottages in Tycoon Castle and the Great Sword lying in the moat of Castle Bal, but neither one counts for your treasure rating.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 30, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Asimov posted:

The way I read the rules you actually don't reveal or use your jobs until you get the crystal shards for each crystal, so that wind shrine should be a breeze with a bunch of lvl 4 freelancers. Seems like lots of people immediately reveal all 4 jobs but that lets you plan ahead and takes away some of the surprise. That's right, the surprise of realizing you have to go back and buy all the white magic or get the rest of the summons after Galuf leaves and you're down to 3 party members. Fun. and exciting.
:goonsay:

Strictly speaking do you really need to get the rest of the summons if Summoner is on Earth Crystal? The level one and two summons are only useful for bosses that you'll have already beaten by then, and adding them to your squad just diminishes the utility of !Call. Maybe you'll want Ramuh for Omega but even in that case you can just grab him at the castle anyway.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Samuel Clemens posted:

You probably missed the Iron Draft and Hi-Potion hidden in a random room of the Island Shrine.

There's absolutely no indication these treasures exist, so most people never find them.

Edit: The other items that are super easy to miss are the two cottages in Tycoon Castle and the Great Sword lying in the moat of Castle Bal, but neither one counts for your treasure rating.

There's also the cottage not on the gamefaqs pyramid map on the same floor as the earth hammer but that one you'll only miss if you don't have find passages active

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Darwinism posted:

Well, Thief/Dancer/Samurai/Cannoneer complete and with it all jobs but Necromancer, dear lord.

Recap your runs and tell me how much you spent on the job fair so I can make a donation.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

There's also the cottage not on the gamefaqs pyramid map on the same floor as the earth hammer but that one you'll only miss if you don't have find passages active

:ssh: that's the sufficient cottage

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samuel Clemens posted:

holy loving poo poo are you kidding me

literally there were three people in the discord throwing suggestions at me and nobody came up with these

(I did get the cottage in the Pyramid, and all these, plus the cottage in Carwen W3, plus cleaned out Jachol cave, plus...)

edit: for everyone else, as though anyone cares, these are in the room with the two switches specifically, not the featureless room at the entrance right after the gargoyles - that's the one with the hidden pathway to the 12000 gil chest, not these two chests

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy loving poo poo are you kidding me

literally there were three people in the discord throwing suggestions at me and nobody came up with these

(I did get the cottage in the Pyramid, and all these, plus the cottage in Carwen W3, plus cleaned out Jachol cave, plus...)

In my defense, I never got to the Pyramid in the list of items, as well as that not having any details on where in the pyramid other than "Pyramid - Inside". :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Got tired of fiesta runs and opted to break the game over my knee, so here's a tentative "not quite 100%" run trip report, albeit pre-Sealed Temple:

-I actually just played mages the entire time, except for Knights for Karnak 500 because I didn't want to have to heal, basically just mash Summoner every encounter
-Turns out between L5 Death and Mystic Knight, plus Reflect and Sing access, you will hit every single boss's gimmick or weakness and it won't be rough at all, leading me to...

100% run boss fight ordering by difficulty:
1. Twintania (unique rare drop Tinklebell, so you can't Return scum, and common steal second Titan's Axe from the Gigaflare form so you have to let the whole fight cycle through once to eat up maximum time every attempt)
1.5. honorable mention Crystal Guardians (they each have rare drop Ash, there's exactly 3 in the game beyond those, so whatever number between 3 and 7 inclusive satisfies your definition of 100% is the one to - if you don't care about having more than 3, they drop off this list entirely, if you want more than 4 you'll be resetting until the end of time, I didn't even bother getting one)
2. Famed Mimic Gogo (rare steal third Gold Hairpin, and on SNES/GBA Return doesn't reset the Tower's air timer so you actually have to walk back to him every seven minutes, plus it takes him about a minute to end the fight so you have less time than you think you do)
3. Omniscient (rare steal second Kornago Gourd, plus he's at the top of Fork Tower so maximum opportunities to do something stupid and required prep time)
4. Azulmagia (bet you didn't know this idiot has a unique Titan's Gloves to rare steal)
---very large gap---
5. NED (rare steal Ragnarok but no common steal, plus you can !Sing yourself into the stratosphere first. The other three rare steals are a Fuma Shuriken and two weapons you can rare steal elsewhere)
---very large gap---
6. Gilgamesh (the difficulty here is in remembering to steal the Genji stuff, not in actually executing)
---small gap---
7. Let's be real here, the entire rest of the game's down here, the next hardest "boss" is probably stealing Dragon Whisker from Stingray or something, outside of the Sealed Temple.

Would recommend GBA for Quicksave access, although there's an argument for Matrix since Return works right in the Gogo fight on Matrix (actually resets the timer to start-of-battle time).

Beyond scumming rare items, it's really satisfying to just have the ability to kill everything on sight. Used Magic Pots to get 105 AP away from Rapid Fire on everyone without ever touching Ranger, killed Omega before I even walked into Apanda's room with Bards, all kinds of fun stuff.

Oh, huh, the protect ring isn’t a unique at all. Guess my next year’s donation incentive will have to fall back to three thieves gloves.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I tend to use VGMaps for the dungeons. It lists everything in the Pyramid, but doesn't list those two items in the Island Shrine. However, the walkthroughs on FFVSpirit.com and Caves Of Narshe both mention those two chests.

Looks like we have something new for Mega64 to add to his FFV site!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Recap your runs and tell me how much you spent on the job fair so I can make a donation.

Looks like I've only got Bard on a Fifth Job run, is that okay?

This was a pretty great introduction to 4JF, I've either missed it previous years or lacked the motivation to get going but I'll be back next year, hopefully in a place to make my own goofy toxxes as well. I'd never actually finished FFV despite buying it on PS1 and then GBA way back in the shadowy, nearly forgotten days of the 90s but now it definitely ranks in my top 4 favorite Final Fantasy games.

Many thanks to this thread in general, too, everyone's been really helpful and awesome. I'm gonna slow down on my Fiesta-ing at this point, but it's been a blast!

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 30, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, huh, the protect ring isn’t a unique at all. Guess my next year’s donation incentive will have to fall back to three thieves gloves.
Yeah, you don't have to get Odin's because you can get any number from Phoenix Tower Soul Cannons.

(ditto getting the rare steal Aegis Shield / rare drop Elven Mantle from Halicarnassus, since both are rare steals from random Void crap, and so on)

also, I'm using Djibriel's GBA FAQ over on gamefaqs, which has, as far as I can tell, everything, even those two chests I missed and the Pyramid cottage.

e: oh, and for the donation incentive, I recommend not Thief's Gloves, because you can steal from Sekhmet and end the fight by Catching him, which causes him to stay unkilled, so he shows up again, so you can steal infinitely many. And since I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat, that means I actually only have one pair, because why would I bother stealing more when I don't want more if I could theoretically have infinite?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Darwinism posted:

Looks like I've only got Bard on a Fifth Job run, is that okay?

Unfortunately not. Fifth job is the one thing I've ruled out.

My Toxx is good until the end of the fiesta (September 1st), so you've got plenty of time to do another run if you want to.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Unfortunately not. Fifth job is the one thing I've ruled out.

My Toxx is good until the end of the fiesta (September 1st), so you've got plenty of time to do another run if you want to.

Eh, Gilgabot hates me so probably not. Though in Fifth Job's defense I'd argue that unless people are trying to claim credit before the run is complete... the fourth job doesn't even show up.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

Strictly speaking do you really need to get the rest of the summons if Summoner is on Earth Crystal? The level one and two summons are only useful for bosses that you'll have already beaten by then, and adding them to your squad just diminishes the utility of !Call. Maybe you'll want Ramuh for Omega but even in that case you can just grab him at the castle anyway.

That's true, the only summons you need are Syldra, Syldra, Syldra, and maybe Golem and Carbunkle way down the list. I never thought about optimizing !Call by not picking up the other lesser summons, that's an interesting idea.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Personally, I think !call is a trash skill, optimized or not. By the time you get it, MP isnt a problem especially with gold hairpins and the chance of spending a turn getting Ifrit or Titan against a late game boss isnt worth it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, !Call isn't worth much. Sure, summons are expensive, but a single cast usually wins you an encounter. Odin for those not Heavy, Leviathan for those weak to Water, Syldra for anything else.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

!Call is definitely garbage but it made me imagine no-MP run as the big brother of no-750. You'd need to use a game genie or what have you to reduce MP to zero or set all spells to cost 999 but I think you could still complete the game without ever using MP, right? It would make White Mage suck pretty bad... Black Mage would be about as good as Red Mage is currently, hah.

I know there's no chance Nintendo would ever develop/release the FF5 Fiesta-version that many people have wished for would, but it would be so rad. I'd buy it. Either way it's fun to think of custom difficulty options.

- Configurable Job Unlock rules (no 750, berserker risk, etc.)
- Challenge modes like double-MP cost, zero-gold from battles, 1, 2, or 3 character parties only
- Random job/skill assignments, or scrambled randomization like the spicy fiesta mod, or similar to FF6 beyond chaos

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

:toxx:
Closed
$25 up to a Max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus, Nasgate, 1234567890num, Bregor, Bufuman, Man with Hat, Darwinism

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 1, 2019

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

I can see the number through your cover up black.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Asimov posted:

!Call is definitely garbage but it made me imagine no-MP run as the big brother of no-750. You'd need to use a game genie or what have you to reduce MP to zero or set all spells to cost 999 but I think you could still complete the game without ever using MP, right? It would make White Mage suck pretty bad... Black Mage would be about as good as Red Mage is currently, hah.

Time Mage and Black Mage would be able to do more damage with the rodsnaps due to having practically twice the MAG stat. White Mage would have Healing Staff, Sage Staff, Power Staff/Staff of Judgement if you ground for it, so they'd have options. Blue Mages would at least have ???? and Gunching, since those cost no MP. They're also the only 750 job that can run the numbers and let the shield burn, for what that's worth.

Just like in real 750 runs, Red Mage is the worst pull you can get.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

agradine posted:

30 Butes to celebrate 30 Years of Final Fantasy!

I'll drop my donation in August when I get paid.

1) Kyrosiris
2) Serene Dragon
3) AlphaKretin
4) Fat and Useless
5) Bregor
6) Samuel Clemens
7) blakelmenakle
8) Osci
9) Kheldarn
10) Admiral Joeslop
11) Huzzah!
12) Nasgate
13) jaclynhyde
14) MagusDraco
15) Arban
16) Unreal_One
17) Doom Goon
18) Procrastine
19) FeyerbrandX
20) DalaranJ
21) Kite Pride Worldwide
22) Agradine
23) Simply Simon
24) Son of a Vondruke!
25) Darwinism
26) Funktastic
27) Nasgate
28) Spelling Mitsake
29) Man With Hat
30) RitzBlues

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Just like in real 750 runs, Red Mage is the worst pull you can get.

Red Mage would do okay damage with the Enhancer though (especially with a Strength-boosting passive) and have the added versatility of Berserk/Old/Sleep through the Power Staff/Ancient Sword/Sleep Sword. I'd much rather take that over no-MP Time, Black, or White.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Samuel Clemens posted:

Red Mage would do okay damage with the Enhancer though (especially with a Strength-boosting passive) and have the added versatility of Berserk/Old/Sleep through the Power Staff/Ancient Sword/Sleep Sword. I'd much rather take that over no-MP Time, Black, or White.

In fact, I'd probably rank the typical MP-users in a no-MP run:
Summoner
Red Mage
Time Mage
White Mage
Blue Mage
Black Mage
Mystic Knight

Because for sheer versatility and need, Staves > Rods > Swords, and Red Mage gets all three. Why? Well, for one, the Healing Staff gives you the best World 1 healing hands down, and it holds up reasonably well throughout the rest of the game, and Flails and Morning Stars are pretty decent damage for the points in the game in which they're available. Rod Breaking can get you past quite a few roadblocks but it's an expensive hobby to keep up. Ancient/Sleep Swords have their uses but sword damage fails to keep up by the end of World 2 through when you can finally pick up an Enhancer.

!Call you can set to only pull out Ifrit, Titan, Golem, and Syldra, and only one of those is truly terrible by the end game (Titan ain't great but boosted it can still manage some decent AOE damage). Mystic Knight only gives you swords with barely passable Strength and Magic Shell.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

agradine posted:

In fact, I'd probably rank the typical MP-users in a no-MP run:
Summoner
Red Mage
Time Mage
White Mage
Blue Mage
Black Mage
Mystic Knight

I'd put the Blue Mage a little bit higher just because they have Goblin Punch + Excalipoor, but otherwise, I think this is about right.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Holy Moley, you can leave the barrier tower!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DalaranJ posted:

Holy Moley, you can leave the barrier tower!
Yes, but only back to the boat, no submarine trip to Moore for you.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

I can see the number through your cover up black.

Oops, fixed

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Just finished my last one. This should be all here.

Here's the victory tweet for the last one:

https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1156869050670231553

Dunno if this Toxx is even still valid. I put up 7 bucks for fairing the worst three jobs in the game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Does elemental damage boost stack with weakness? This is for holy breath on xdeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DalaranJ posted:

Does elemental damage boost stack with weakness? This is for holy breath on xdeath.

Normally, yes, since damage boost usually happens before the weakness adjustments. In the case of Holy Breath, the damage is fixed based on the chemist's HP, so holy boost won't do anything.

That said, since the damage is fixed based on the chemist's HP, Goliath Tonics will pump your damage output.