Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ITS AFRAID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
the punchline at the end is so good. i've never heard someone tell on themselves as much as wanting someone "pro-union like ronald reagan"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Stack Exchange's volunteer mods organized, went on strike, formed a bargaining committee, and won a bunch of concessions. Here are some highlights:

• AI-generated posts: Stack Exchange has agreed to allow the removal of content based on a single strong indicator of GPT usage, or on several weaker indicators... the interim standards that we have agreed on will serve as policy until a more permanent policy is established with the help of the broader community

• A long-term commitment to freely maintaining and providing data dumps, the Stack Exchange Data Explorer, and the Stack Exchange API. Stack Exchange, Inc. has posted a public commitment to freely maintaining and providing these services for the benefit of the community.

• Changes to the Moderator Agreement: A mandatory review period for binding policies; Stack Exchange, Inc. staff cannot mandate moderation actions be taken without a public policy supporting those actions; Determining if Stack Exchange, Inc. violated the Moderator Agreement; Standard feedback and review period for changes to the Moderator Agreement itself

• Changes to internal Stack Exchange, Inc. processes: Communicating with moderators in unclear cases; Not making irreversible changes to the platform; Gathering community feedback before committing to a major change to the platform;

• Changes to the Stack Exchange platform: Notifying users about the policies around AI-generated content; Tooling for mod communication and determining if the company violated the Mod Agreement

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

webcams for christ posted:

Stack Exchange's volunteer mods organized, went on strike, formed a bargaining committee, and won a bunch of concessions. Here are some highlights:

• AI-generated posts: Stack Exchange has agreed to allow the removal of content based on a single strong indicator of GPT usage, or on several weaker indicators... the interim standards that we have agreed on will serve as policy until a more permanent policy is established with the help of the broader community

• A long-term commitment to freely maintaining and providing data dumps, the Stack Exchange Data Explorer, and the Stack Exchange API. Stack Exchange, Inc. has posted a public commitment to freely maintaining and providing these services for the benefit of the community.

• Changes to the Moderator Agreement: A mandatory review period for binding policies; Stack Exchange, Inc. staff cannot mandate moderation actions be taken without a public policy supporting those actions; Determining if Stack Exchange, Inc. violated the Moderator Agreement; Standard feedback and review period for changes to the Moderator Agreement itself

• Changes to internal Stack Exchange, Inc. processes: Communicating with moderators in unclear cases; Not making irreversible changes to the platform; Gathering community feedback before committing to a major change to the platform;

• Changes to the Stack Exchange platform: Notifying users about the policies around AI-generated content; Tooling for mod communication and determining if the company violated the Mod Agreement

gently caress yeah

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

webcams for christ posted:

What's the legal framework/mechanism that the moderators can use to enforce the agreement?

other than withholding their labor again

which... major LOL if that's all it takes!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
grindr is a noted Progressive Employer, because their entire business model is geared toward LGBTQ folks. i'm sure they'll treat their works in a way fitting with those values!!

https://twitter.com/CWAUnion/status/1687597029747277825

oh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while I have not read the full contract yet because it's like 90 loving pages, the highlights of the UPS tentative agreement look really really nice to me as someone who's been at UPS for almost two decades. I rambled about various highlights here if you're interested I guess

one claim they made was "NO CONCESSIONS!" which I don't think is entirely true, but they sure as gently caress got some ridiculously good agreements from UPS corporate in there, most notably of course the driver changes, from merging the split tier positions into a single type, to adding air conditioning(to all new trucks) and fans and vents to all older trucks, and eliminating the surveillance cameras in the cabs. setting the part timer pay in stone at $21 an hour, with further raises for long-term part timers, is great too imo. The starting rate when I joined was about 8 bucks. Some weeks I would work a full normal part timer week and get a paycheck for like $170, it was depressing as hell. Inflation is of course a thing, but the previous contract-mandated pay rate for my location was $15, and the current $20-something part timers make is only at the whims of UPS corporate, they can(and have, as happened with the raises they put in place during COVID) take them away at any time. this ensures they are the absolute rock bottom that people will make, which I think is a very good thing.

tons of little things like MLK day being off instead of an overtime work day(though they'll probably still run a shift for anyone who "wants to come in and enter the raffle to win a cooler full of barbecue goodies!!!!"), adding 18,000 more fans in the warehouses across the country, it's a very good contract. could it have been better? probably. but I think the level of things teamsters got out of UPS from this shows that if need be, they can really grab corporate by the balls and they'll relent, because a strike would both devastate the economy and also shareholder value.

people really don't seem to understand just how much shipping UPS handles. it's a lot. like, we handle a bunch of USPS and Fedex stuff for them, even, my neighbor said "well if there's a strike then the post office and fedex can pick up the slack until the strike ends!" and I just laughed

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Thanks for the effort post. from what you are hearing, do you have a sense of where RnF is on the contract? likely to ratify or not? I always do strike support when there’s a strike in my area and I’m wondering if I should start stockpiling supplies and setting aside funds now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Invictus posted:

…it's a very good contract. could it have been better? probably. but I think the level of things teamsters got out of UPS from this shows that if need be, they can really grab corporate by the balls and they'll relent, because a strike would both devastate the economy and also shareholder value.

people really don't seem to understand just how much shipping UPS handles. it's a lot. like, we handle a bunch of USPS and Fedex stuff for them, even, my neighbor said "well if there's a strike then the post office and fedex can pick up the slack until the strike ends!" and I just laughed

When I worked for brown back in the 2001-2005 timeframe, FedEx and DHL were both competitive with UPS on overnight and two day shipments, but when you looked at ground and LTL it was just comical. FedEx was single-digits compared to the 800lb brown gorilla.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DHL doesn't really exist anymore, too. I remember when it blew up, the office I used to take my breaks in had a, like, war map of corporate contracts that UPS and Fedex were fighting over.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Thanks for the effort post. from what you are hearing, do you have a sense of where RnF is on the contract? likely to ratify or not? I always do strike support when there’s a strike in my area and I’m wondering if I should start stockpiling supplies and setting aside funds now.
I'm not the authority on things or anything, but the people I did speak to seemed pretty enthused about the TA. This is only at one hub though, it could be the case that it's unpopular across the country, though I'm not sure what huge sticking points there might be.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://bsky.app/profile/ddayen.bsky.social/post/3k46rvntk3222

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot depends on the type of shipping. Where I work, we receive a lot of small packages sent via expedited delivery, and it breaks down at around 90% FedEx, 5% UPS, 4% USPS, 1% DHL with all the DHL coming from outside the US. It's actually a bit of a problem since all the FedEx comes in on one plane, so if it's delayed everything shuts down for a day and then we end up buried in work for the next week.

Back on topic, our second shift Chief Steward is quitting, so now I'm acting Chief Steward at least until elections take place in a few months, at which point I will almost certainly get the job permanently unless I emphatically decline it. As a part of this I'm going to have to learn how to conduct new hire orientation meetings, where few people have any idea what a union is but don't want to piss off management on their first day. Of course, management is quick to tell the new hires that they don't have to pay dues if they don't want to, since we're in an anti-union state.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

not clicking post screenshot

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

while I have not read the full contract yet because it's like 90 loving pages, the highlights of the UPS tentative agreement look really really nice to me as someone who's been at UPS for almost two decades. I rambled about various highlights here if you're interested I guess

one claim they made was "NO CONCESSIONS!" which I don't think is entirely true, but they sure as gently caress got some ridiculously good agreements from UPS corporate in there, most notably of course the driver changes, from merging the split tier positions into a single type, to adding air conditioning(to all new trucks) and fans and vents to all older trucks, and eliminating the surveillance cameras in the cabs. setting the part timer pay in stone at $21 an hour, with further raises for long-term part timers, is great too imo. The starting rate when I joined was about 8 bucks. Some weeks I would work a full normal part timer week and get a paycheck for like $170, it was depressing as hell. Inflation is of course a thing, but the previous contract-mandated pay rate for my location was $15, and the current $20-something part timers make is only at the whims of UPS corporate, they can(and have, as happened with the raises they put in place during COVID) take them away at any time. this ensures they are the absolute rock bottom that people will make, which I think is a very good thing.

tons of little things like MLK day being off instead of an overtime work day(though they'll probably still run a shift for anyone who "wants to come in and enter the raffle to win a cooler full of barbecue goodies!!!!"), adding 18,000 more fans in the warehouses across the country, it's a very good contract. could it have been better? probably. but I think the level of things teamsters got out of UPS from this shows that if need be, they can really grab corporate by the balls and they'll relent, because a strike would both devastate the economy and also shareholder value.

That's great, thanks for the effort post. It does look like a contract with a lot of significant wins in it, and importantly they're the kind of wins that it will be easy to build on next time, like how if you don't need to negotiate away two-tier employment you can focus way more on other demands.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

the punchline at the end is so good. i've never heard someone tell on themselves as much as wanting someone "pro-union like ronald reagan"

he did great work at SAG, shame about how every other part of his life turned out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

vyelkin posted:

That's great, thanks for the effort post. It does look like a contract with a lot of significant wins in it, and importantly they're the kind of wins that it will be easy to build on next time, like how if you don't need to negotiate away two-tier employment you can focus way more on other demands.
yeah, while it might not go as far as some people want, it definitely destroys some hugely negative parts of previous contracts, and the 97% strike vote was such a strong showing of solidarity(as I've said elsewhere, 97% of teamsters voted to strike if an agreement wasn't met by the 1st, and you cannot get 97% of people to agree the loving sky is blue, so that says a lot about conditions to make that percentage mad enough to strike) that it made it extremely clear that the teamsters hold the power here. we can destroy UPS if we want to, and the shareholders don't want that, so they acquiesced to a shitload of demands, and made it clear that the union can push further next time as well.

I am satisfied with the contract we're getting, but I wish there was something done for part-time-to-full-time progression, especially with how utterly, utterly hosed I, specifically me, got with the prior contract. like for real, I got turbofucked by the 4-year progression($19 first year, $20 second year, $21 third year, $36 fourth year full rate, just nakedly disgusting abuse of the progression system). to the point I had at least half a dozen nervous breakdowns because I was working 50+ hour weeks and pulling in like $650 a week, having no time to myself and also not making enough to make ends meet with taking care of my mom. I'm in a good place now, but that progression should absolutely be leveled off instead of a loving gradual slope followed by a cliff face spike to full rate.

oh also, during my progression, UPS gave out the COVID raises, meaning fresh meat new hires were making more per hour part time than I was full time. that definitely contributed to the breakdowns

and I am extremely, extremely excited for the grievance ramp-up. quadruple overtime on grievance payments, holy gently caress. during one COVID era peak season I filed enough grievances that I ended up walking away with $4800 for 3 months of grievances, which paid for most of my new (used) car. I encourage everyone who ever tries working at UPS, once you've hit your seniority and become part of the union, to get in on the grievance train. some places like my hub have a ton of management who just work union labor all shift, it's so much free money

Captain Invictus has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Aug 6, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
can you explain what’s going on with the grievance part?? how do you get paid for grievances

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
at UPS, grievances are filed when management(trainers, supervisors, etc), who are not union labor, perform union labor. you simply submit a form with the time the management were working for, what they were doing, and the name of the person in question. So if I see a supervisor loading a truck for an hour and 20 minutes, another supervisor sorting for 45 minutes, and a third one working the entire 4 hour shift doing miscellaneous labor, I can file for 6 hours and 5 minutes in grievances total. that gets tallied up over the course of a few months until the union sits down to settle with corporate, and then when an agreement is reached, they disseminate the settlement amongst the employees who submitted grievances. if multiple people grieved the same person for doing the same work, it gets split among them. I generally expect due to the nitty gritty details I provide in my submissions, to get about ~25% of the grievances I submit paid out, since a lot of people are submitting these days so it gets split up a lot.

grievances are designed to dissuade management from doing teamster work, as it's money that gets paid out directly from corporate coffers, which the higher-ups really, really hate because it shows up on the paperwork to shareholders(iirc) and thus makes them look bad in a palpable way. when people aren't grieving, management freely does union labor, and often they send home regular workers and replace them with trainers, supervisors, etc, sometimes getting sneaky and putting them in plainclothes. Initially, grievances were overtime. that didn't slow down management, so they bumped it up to triple overtime. that still hasn't stopped them, so now they've pushed for quadruple overtime, and gotten it.

so for every hour of grievance I successfully submit and get paid out on under the new contract, I will make ~$160. Sometimes during peak season they have some supervisors come in and work the entire shift doing union labor, it's free money

Captain Invictus has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Aug 6, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lol that’s fantastic, I had no idea

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

not clicking post screenshot

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/announcements/negotiations-update-8-4

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

lol that’s fantastic, I had no idea

wow yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the only major job I've worked at, beforehand I was a landscaper grunt and been at UPS ever since, so I guess I thought grievances were like that everywhere. seems not.

sure is a nice way to handle it there, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

this is the only major job I've worked at, beforehand I was a landscaper grunt and been at UPS ever since, so I guess I thought grievances were like that everywhere. seems not.

first time I've ever heard of getting paid for grievances like that but it owns

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vyelkin posted:

first time I've ever heard of getting paid for grievances like that but it owns

You do not gently caress with the Teamsters.

https://youtu.be/ZymSrDfLhW8

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Absolutely wild what a powerful union can do.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Like 15 years ago my brother worked a summer job at the San Diego Safari Park in like food services. It was absolutely one of best paying and good benefits fast food kinda jobs I've ever heard of because the Zoo and Animal Park are both unionized under the Teamsters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

that's sick. when we file grievances it usually just means management slow rolls the process as much as possible (not sharing information, blowing past deadlines, etc.) and we have to file unfair labor practices with the NLRB and just wait 8 months for a decision to come through.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
yeah at my last workplace management was constantly breaking contractual rules and getting grievances filed against them and they mostly just ignored it until enough of them piled up that the union could take them to binding arbitration and get whatever token compensation was written into our contract for each one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah for us "grievances" means any contract violation and we have this laborious process where HR has 30 days to respond and then we have to respond and if they stonewall us our recourse is to take it to arbitration. I'm on a grievance where they hosed up a bunch of peoples' pay including mine by not giving the scheduled raises and it's been like 4 months

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
yeah, this is why one very boring but important part of a contract aren’t just the rules in place, but the grievance procedure for stopping the employer from breaking them without consequence

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No media coverage because of course.

https://twitter.com/UNITEHERE11/status/1687966130130845696

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
finally! https://www.vulture.com/2023/08/vfx-workers-vote-to-unionize-at-marvel-for-the-first-time.html

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mr president 🫡

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1689276462073827328

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

investor pamps getting extra poopy today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

investor pamps getting extra poopy today

I like when he offhandedly refers to the real reason that 401k's exist, which is to make people think The Stock Market is what matters to them financially.