Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Chrome keeps doing this dumb thing where it freezes up and refuses to work even after restarting chrome so I keep having to restart the computer. It also keeps turning completely black. It seems to happen more when I try to use youtube. Any of you have any issues with chrome and youtube lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i used to be on a mailing list for this game years ago, i assumed it was never coming out:

https://twitter.com/getter7seven/status/1394024122020139015?s=20

it's been forever since i touched any of the UFO games but iirc they had more heart than quality. not terrible just the kind of jank you'd expect from a game trying to be a spiritual successor to a (then) niche pc classic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Was the Rebelstar GBA game any good? I heard it was basically XCOM + FFTA but I think I tried it in middle school and was too bad to get very far

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relax Or DIE posted:

i used to be on a mailing list for this game years ago, i assumed it was never coming out:

https://twitter.com/getter7seven/status/1394024122020139015?s=20

it's been forever since i touched any of the UFO games but iirc they had more heart than quality. not terrible just the kind of jank you'd expect from a game trying to be a spiritual successor to a (then) niche pc classic.

It is kinda cool that since Xcom2 went in such a different design direction, we have things like Ufo and xenonauts which replicate the exact gameplay model of xcom 1 while also having resolutions above 640x480

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It was really heartless that the optimal strategy in the mid-to-late game is just hiring Rookies to facescout Mutons so that your experienced troops wouldn't be in danger.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember the optimal strategy was having your guys eat chips in the skyranger while firing out blaster bombs before the enemies blew up your stack of guys with blaster bombs. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I might actually legitimately hate streaming. Not watching streams, making them myself. Not only am I not a good entertainer, I don’t even have the technical side down, and I sound like poo poo and I’ll need some vocal practice and exercise. And even if I do figure out the tech poo poo and how to be entertaining, I’d be competing against the rest of the known universe and I’ll be hosed if I play that numbers game.

I actually finished my second stream feeling like I was resenting the fact that I was streaming, and couldn’t just enjoy my goddamn game. I don’t understand how people willingly do this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well better to find out now than after you quit your day job

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I did a bit of them back when Twitch was new and it was a neat little thing to do that I got bored with after a few of them

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I only stream for my friends and even then I haven't in like, years. Nowdays the only streams I really watch are Dota2 when I like the persons background music, or like 9-hour JRPG speedruns I can just let run all day

I got a capture card last month and havent used it once

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It is kinda cool that since Xcom2 went in such a different design direction, we have things like Ufo and xenonauts which replicate the exact gameplay model of xcom 1 while also having resolutions above 640x480

Honestly with all of the various different offshoots of XCOM/Ufo Defense, I just want someone to make "Terror From the Deep, but good"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly with all of the various different offshoots of XCOM/Ufo Defense, I just want someone to make "Terror From the Deep, but good"

I think thats what the next XCOM game is going to be if they ever actually start making one. The ending of XCOM2 was basically an announcement for a TFTD remake

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Those explosive harpoons were fun for a hot minute. You saw all those bubbles and became the monarch of the seas, ruler of the queen's navy.

Game was bad though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so i guess in november FFXIV will be overrun by a plague of thanatopsic bunnymen twinks

something to look forward to

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Oxxidation posted:

so i guess in november FFXIV will be overrun by a plague of thanatopsic bunnymen twinks

something to look forward to

Not seeing a downside tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I think I might actually legitimately hate streaming. Not watching streams, making them myself. Not only am I not a good entertainer, I don’t even have the technical side down, and I sound like poo poo and I’ll need some vocal practice and exercise. And even if I do figure out the tech poo poo and how to be entertaining, I’d be competing against the rest of the known universe and I’ll be hosed if I play that numbers game.

I actually finished my second stream feeling like I was resenting the fact that I was streaming, and couldn’t just enjoy my goddamn game. I don’t understand how people willingly do this.

I just can't handle the pressure of not picking my nose, having to wear a shirt in my own room, or smoking on cam. Friend bought me a webcam as a gift encouraging me to stream, but it's also weird as heck to be "on" totally on your own, without someone to bounce off of or joke with. You also feel like you always gotta be doing something interesting, streaming Subnautica was unchill because of the artificial pressure when a lot of the game is really just going around safeish areas and gathering resources in relative peace. Then to make it anything resembling generating money you gotta commit and spend significant time streaming, more than I'd naturally play games in a week anyway.

Plus I heard my own voice and didn't realize how southern I sounded, since when does "I" sound like ah?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zil posted:

Not seeing a downside tbh

they'd better watch where they swing those scythes if they don't want to literally get their ears lowered

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think thats what the next XCOM game is going to be if they ever actually start making one. The ending of XCOM2 was basically an announcement for a TFTD remake

Hell yeah

There's so much about TFTD that is just amazing aesthetically but too much of it got bungled by poor design decisions, glitches, and poor design decisions compounded by glitches.

I really wish the ending for TFTD was better. If I had the skill and will to do it, I'd just use openxcom to make my own TFTD followup to wrap up TFTD's ending all proper like.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's the eleventh month of the year, time for your ear flattening.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I just can't handle the pressure of not picking my nose, having to wear a shirt in my own room, or smoking on cam.

My favorite streams are my friends streams where he streams shirtless and pounds mountain dews with our other two friends, one of whom lives at home and you can constantly hear his mom in the background or fully audible episodes of Judge Judy and the other one who lives on a farm and had donkey noises be a prominent stream feature for months

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zaphod42 posted:

Wasn’t XCOM1 just 320x240?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

So I don't know how much of this I've already said in here but I'll say it all again anyway

When I bought my desktop and streaming equipment (webcam, capture card, microphone) I had designs on being, if not a big-time streamer, one with a decent number of viewers

Then I did it a few times and realized I didn't enjoy it at all. It was awkward and unfun for all the reasons you described, and I hated being on camera (this was pre-COVID where I had to get used to being on camera for a living).

Then I started posting here more regularly and saw people like VideoGames and ShallNoiseUpon do low-key streams with no camera, and I tried that. It's a lot more fun to stream to a couple friends when you give absolutely no fucks who's watching or how you sound. Sure you try to be entertaining, but I made RazzleDazzleHour watch me look for mushrooms in the first Monster Hunter Rise area for like an hour, so even that's optional.

I say try streaming without a cam and posting here if the idea of talking to your postin buds while you play a game appeals to you, and if not, then just don't worry about streaming!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember once I streamed Cataclysm DDA and like ten people watched me build a turn-based car for three hours

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I made a video game this weekend.

You can play it if you want.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how bad is world of horror for jump scares?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I just can't handle the pressure of not picking my nose, having to wear a shirt in my own room, or smoking on cam.

My friend, have you heard the good word of vtubers? All the benefits of having a representation of you on screen without the downsides like having people know what you look like or if you're not wearing pants!

I'm pretty socially anxious and awkward but I gave streaming a try with a free live2d avatar to some close friends. Even with only a few people in chat, it was strangely appealing to be able to play a game while knowing that there was a box of people on the side of the screen I could talk with.

I also bought a couple of Digimon card booster boxes and did booster opening streams, and my friends liked those a lot. I also had to figure out challenges like how best to capture video of me opening cards, how to light my desk, and how to keep myself in view of my separate webcam to track my face for the live2d.

In the end, it's a hobby, so if overcoming the technical challenges of streaming don't appeal to you and you don't get anything out of streaming even to a couple of close friends, it doesn't have to be something you force yourself to try and enjoy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would be streaming a lot more if i didn't have really good friends as roommates

i think recording LPs and streaming was primarily a function of loneliness and depression for me

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

i would be streaming a lot more if i didn't have really good friends as roommates

i think recording LPs and streaming was primarily a function of loneliness and depression for me

I used to hang out daily on a drawing website in high school and then I got to my first year of college and didnt visit for like the entire semester just because I was hanging out with people constantly. Then the next year a bunch of us lived apart and I immediately filled that hole with Dota 2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah same. Such a cool setting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

After like half a year, I'm back to wanting to play video games all the time. Still trying to watch a movie a day, but between the Isaac expansion, Resident Evil, Pokemon Snap, Nier, Returnal, and Mass Effect I'm a pretty happy camper right now.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Watching Quest64 and I was thinking how cool it is that all the enemy attacks are projectiles that you're supposed to at least have a chance at dodging, and was thinking that there could be a really cool version of this system where if you were really good you'd be dodging attacks everywhere but oops thats Undertale

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1394027629834080262
Bioware plz

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now? Buddy the reason I didn't buy your game was lack of the multiplayer. It'll be dead as hell if you add it in 6 months late

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The real reason it probably wasn't included is that the entire studio responsible for doing the multiplayer was shuttered by EA after the failure of Andromeda.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1394176331668070401?s=19

God drat it...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao gently caress off IGN

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
We apologize for appearing to have had an opinion. This was a tragic mistake, and those responsible have been dealt with harshly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just Google'd "who owns IGN" and uh yeah that announcement should be expected. That's a fun little tiny rabbit hole that you can find the bottom of almost immediately

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I started streaming (voice only) regularly in Nov last year during my Bloodborne efforts because I wanted to show the PS thread where I was going wrong and I wanted some company to laugh at my ineptitude. It turned into something else entirely and then became: I am going to stream all of the From games.

Yesterday I completed Sekiro.

In just over 189 hours I have played and beaten on stream (including DLC) Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III and Sekiro.

It has been quite the experience and I have developed a big amount of joy from doing it. I was not sure if I was going to continue after finishing Sekiro because I can only get Demons Souls in three or so weeks time, but there are tons of Playstation games I can play that are loved by a ton of people in the PS thread and we have built up a really lovely friendship group from doing it for the last 4 months that I am going to continue even if no one watches the games I play. :)

I started The Last Guardian right after Sekiro as a nice relaxing and chill game after all that exertion :)

Still have the following to play on stream too (I need to come up with an order)

The Last Of Us, The Last Of Us II, Death Stranding, Outer Wilds, The Surge 1 and 2, Nioh, Demons Souls, Returnal, Alien Isolation, Resident Evil Village, FFVIIRemake, MGSV and I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

Gaming with friends is great and streaming has given me back that fun kind of gaming I had when younger with my friends and we sat around getting stuck into video games :)

Also IGN are cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

What was the original post?