Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do appreciate the design in that way even though it may not be for me. Derek Yu really designed the game for people that had 100+ hours in the first game.

I had 200+ hours in Spelunky and I still felt like Spelunky 2 was for people that had played 1 way more than I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have literally never once touched 1 since I got 2. I completely played the poo poo out of 1 getting every achievement.

I like the much larger variety in 2, and I feel going back to 1 I'd be thrown off by the slight rule and physics changes. I.e. how gloves and capes work. The arrow traps seem slower in 2 iirc. Etc.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Peewi posted:

I had 200+ hours in Spelunky and I still felt like Spelunky 2 was for people that had played 1 way more than I had.

I played Spelunky daily for two years and 600+ hours, got all the achievements on two different platforms, and won the daily challenge twice. Spelunky 2 was much more frustrating than fun and I’m glad I quit before even trying to get to the CO

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i have 300+ in spelunky 1 and about 170 in 2 and i really cant find any way to justify saying that 1 is better than 2

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I wonder why there are no bear traps in the Cosmic Ocean.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

edit: Just died on 7-74. Not gonna lie, I definitely started to think this may be the one.

In hindsight I'm starting to wonder if this was The One and I just blew it. I mean demonstrably it was not since I died, but my best since is 'only' 7-54, which is not much progress. I can't even say I'm getting to the 30s and 40s on a more consistent basis necessarily... maybe?

I have made a little progress on the meta-strategy level, though. Namely I've now definitively decided that a normal cape is almost always preferable to a pack for the CO, so I trade the latter for the former on 7-1 but only if I have both climbing gloves and spring shoes. I don't feel hampered in terms of mobility but it's one less thing to worry about. I generally only go Volcana if I get paste in the Dwelling so I sadly haven't seen much of Vlad's Cape lately.

And I've started cloning the player bag which is obviously useful even though so far I haven't once died in the CO due to lack of resources. Getting the hired hand to survive 4-3 is kind of annoying but if he makes it to the entrance to the back layer that's a good place to leave him as he can't climb up if you don't push the block (you then have to spend one bomb to get in through the other side). Otherwise I guess drop Excalibur and kill Kingu the tedious way.

7-29 tonight. Got crushed and the cape was destroyed, not much hope for it afterwards so I lost some interest and the second death came quickly.

Much like in HD, killing Anubis with the freeze ray remains the most satisfying action in the game.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2022

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Before completing the CO, I lost runs on 7-89, 7-90, and 7-91.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Before completing the CO, I lost runs on 7-89, 7-90, and 7-91.

Oof yeah, I've been sort of steeling myself for this to happen, because it almost certainly will... kind of normal to stumble at the finish line at least once. I want to say I'm ready for it but who knows. 7-74 is, ridiculously, still so far away that it wasn't that painful.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
After some time to decompress from the endless CO runs, I've softened on my feelings for the game. I spent a couple more days finishing up achievements I didn't have to get The Full Spelunky, and now its forever deleted from my Switch. I'd still warn my past self to never play it but its a great game. I could write a giant tome of all the stupid do's and don'ts I had to learn to beat it. Best feeling is when you walk into Tun's secret shop and shoot her right in the loving face.

anyway, gaming addiction is real! be careful out there!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My "this is the one" is just reaching CO. I can finally beat the Sun room more often than not, I think. Soon.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

My "this is the one" is just reaching CO. I can finally beat the Sun room more often than not, I think. Soon.

If you've gone Tide Pool and you're not taking the Clone Gun, I highly recommend stashing Excalibur at Waddler's on 5-1. You have to hope that the Sun Challenge spawns on 7-1, but if it does you're basically set since you can instaslice every enemy. Can get a little tight on time if Waddler isn't nearby since there's no clover on 7-1, but should be doable.

I definitely still think the Sun Challenge is one of the cruelest pieces of design in the game even though by now I usually come out mostly unscathed. The whole room just screams "gently caress you" at the player.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 9, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I used to try to hang out on a ladder in the room, but the loving jungle witch doctors could still curse me. I've found that bee-lining for one of the upper corners and whipping under the generator can keep you alive long enough, but sometimes the regenerating blocks can really complicate things. I heard you can bomb the generators? Haven't tried that yet. My last great run I had no bombs besides the Quillback drop :rolleyes:

But the corpse bag from beating the Sun room was a great reward for that.

My current stumbling block is just losing my chill and making dumb dumb dumb mistakes on Hundun. I've beat him in the past with spike boots or sticky bombs, but keep loving it up now when I finally bring the arrow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

My last great run I had no bombs besides the Quillback drop :rolleyes:

That doesn't sound like a great run. :v:

For the SC, definitely try bombing the chutes if you've got paste.

I'll put this in spoilers in case you just wanna figure out your own method, but this is my Sun Challenge routine:

I basically never leave the ground floor.

When the laser turns off I immediately toss a bomb at the nearest side chute (but not the central one between the lasers, because that angers Tun and aborts the challenge). Then I stand near the central chute and slice up everything that comes out with Excalibur. You don't need to move much, if at all, and in fact I think moving too far to the side can trigger the chute on the middle floor so it's better to stay put. This makes for a very relaxed SC.

Without Excalibur it's a little dicier but the principle is the same. Instead of one-shotting enemies you're just whipping them, which knocks them back into the laser and then off the laser right back at you, so you gotta dodge that first. Then pick them up while they're stunned and toss them to the corner. By the time they come out of the stun you'll probably be throwing another enemy at them anyway. Rinse and repeat. I do always still take damage here but if you're rolling in with the Kapala and 20+ health you'll be fine unless you get unlucky with the witch doctors (it happens).

If you don't have paste you can try climbing up to the middle floor in order to bomb the chute then jump back down. It'll be harder for sure though.

edit: Should mention that the option to just ice Tun and take the arrow always exists if you don't mind dealing with her on subsequent levels. But you do also miss out on the bag in this case.
edit2: I actually forgot that you said you're already beating it more consistently anyway nowadays so oops. But that's good!

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weeeeeelp, my Spelunky-obsessed 8 year old son just beat Spelunky 2.

:stare:

I have no excuse now. Goddamn.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good work. I definitely wouldn’t have had patience for this game when I was 8.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good work. I definitely wouldn’t have had patience for this game when I was 8.

Ph, he gets hyper focused, and when he has TV time, he'll look up game stuff, like how to best Spelunky 2.

I mean, he unlocked all the shortcuts by himself, and then used the last one to finally get to the end.

I wouldn't put it past him to be able to do a start to finish run, though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
if he starts doing CO runs im calling child services

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally got to CO and it was on a particularly tough run. I foolishly didn't do any reading about how it works before I started, so I didn't make it out of 7-5 lol.

But I feel pretty confident it won't be so hard getting back there, now that I can beat the Sun room more reliably.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Finally got to CO and it was on a particularly tough run. I foolishly didn't do any reading about how it works before I started, so I didn't make it out of 7-5 lol.

Congrats. I think part of the joy of Spelunky is discovering things on your own so imo you did the right thing. I very staunchly avoided spoilers on release for like a solid month, maybe even two. And that's exactly what happened to me too when I first reached the CO.

I also made progress today, all the way to 7-79. I am 100% convinced this one would've gone all the way had I not gotten poisoned on 7-74 and been forced to rush. Felt unstoppable. Alas no Vlad's Cape, merely a normal one. But if it hadn't been poison perhaps the game would've found another way nonetheless, as it often does.

Together with an earlier run that went to 7-42 I beat over 95 levels of CO today. Unfortunately over two separate runs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

Oof yeah, I've been sort of steeling myself for this to happen, because it almost certainly will... kind of normal to stumble at the finish line at least once. I want to say I'm ready for it but who knows. 7-74 is, ridiculously, still so far away that it wasn't that painful.

The prophecy... fulfilled.

edit: I don't even remember what happened even though it was less than five minutes ago.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 14, 2022

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sway Grunt posted:

The prophecy... fulfilled.

edit: I don't even remember what happened even though it was less than five minutes ago.

oh man lol

i mean at this point you know you can do it!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

One thing I have yet to figure out is how to come back from a break in the middle of a run without it ruining my flow. Just now I got up for five minutes to make myself a cup of tea after 7-30. When I sat back down I instantly died twice on 7-31. It was just a routine Ice Caves level. I'm actually more bummed after this than I was after dying on 7-91, simply because of how needless it was. This was a great run that should've gone much, much further. I'm just so disappointed with how I played that.

This game makes me sigh a lot.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 18, 2022

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've somehow become complete trash at this game. Just walking directly into bear traps, letting Qilin get crushed, getting rolled by lizards on 1-2. A total collapse of form. :( Bummer. I had the thought that I'd try to set a goal of reaching at least 7-30 on every run where I make the CO, i.e. aim to go wide rather than deep to establish some sort of baseline performance to build off of. (Which in itself is probably a folly considering the CO doesn't scale linearly in difficulty and 7-5 can be as difficult and deadly as 7-80.) But instead the complete opposite has happened. I can barely even make the Sunken City the past few days.

Also, the Hired Hands. Please just stay put. I just can't keep these idiots alive on 4-3. If I give them Excalibur instead of the Clone Gun they'll be able to kill enemies but guaranteed they'll slice me up too at the same time, I can't risk that. FFS.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

maybe it's time for me to give Spelunky 2 another shake

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is super obvious, but there's a point where you've played so much Spelunky 2 that your skills make it feel as easy/difficult as 1, and 1 becomes a spike-laden cake walk.

The thing is, that point might be further into the game than you'd assume. I really do prefer 2 over 1 at this point, and I haven't even beaten 2.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I could never get into 1 but have been playing 2 non stop once the online co-op got fixed.

Still been playing this year with 2 friends trying to beat CO together and the hijinks we get up to accidentally screwing each other over hasn't gotten old yet.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is super obvious, but there's a point where you've played so much Spelunky 2 that your skills make it feel as easy/difficult as 1, and 1 becomes a spike-laden cake walk.

I have 307 hours in 1 but haven't played it since like 2016 or so. I recently watched a little bit of it and I was shocked at how empty the levels seemed.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Just made it to 7-87 and our spirits are crushed getting temple like 7 times in a row.

But at this rate maybe we can actually do it before years end!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Just made it to 7-87 and our spirits are crushed getting temple like 7 times in a row.

if it was temple, then your spirits were crushed quite literally :v:

i remember getting some just utterly heinous temple levels, and managed to defeat quite a few of them. i am a bit annoyed that some of my best playing wasn't part of the run that eventually finished the game

in fact, the run that I won with was pretty embarrassing. i lost my ankh before even getting to the CO.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

in fact, the run that I won with was pretty embarrassing. i lost my ankh before even getting to the CO.

I think that actually makes it more impressive.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sway Grunt posted:

I think that actually makes it more impressive.

not really, it was a relatively uneventful CO. kept my poo poo together and got few curve balls, I'm sure that's how most folks get their CO wins

only crazy thing that happened was a very large neo Babylon level that popped all of its own bubbles as soon as I entered

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Still, stringing together 95 levels of CO without dying even once is always impressive, and I'd say you'd earned that break with all those runs that got close but didn't quite make it. I do get what you mean though, the run I just did was similarly relatively straightforward, very few labyrinths, orbs mostly accessible, etc. Crushed by an elevator on 7-77, but no complaints - this was the best run I've had in like two weeks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goddamn, I haven't even TOUCHED the cosmic ocean, and I can't even fathom getting through 77 to 98 of them :psyduck:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Verviticus posted:

i have 300+ in spelunky 1 and about 170 in 2 and i really cant find any way to justify saying that 1 is better than 2

spelunky 2 making 1-4 the same everytime blows

i know that sounds petty but you end up doing that level quite a lot and it's a bit of a bummer imo

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I think I'm fine with it being the same. Moleman having 2 less HP and his roll attack not auto-murdering you would be a great change for newer players and make it less tedious. Ideally, I think the fight should be more optional, with Moleman's bomb bag being obtainable somehow with smart play or good circumstances

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fuligin posted:

spelunky 2 making 1-4 the same everytime blows

i know that sounds petty but you end up doing that level quite a lot and it's a bit of a bummer imo

It's so quick.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I just wish the layout was More Different every time. Like i said, petty, but i just generally do not like the first biome of sp 2 (im having a brain fart and cant remember its name), never got tired of running through Mines in the first one like that. Ymmv

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

We did ittttttttttt holy fucccccccck what an end to a yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

if it was temple, then your spirits were crushed quite literally :v:

i remember getting some just utterly heinous temple levels, and managed to defeat quite a few of them. i am a bit annoyed that some of my best playing wasn't part of the run that eventually finished the game

Yeah those eye blocks in the temple are the devil I swear, those are what did me in but our final surviving member got hit by a curse cat and hidden skeleton combo from like 88 health. :v:

A Cup of Ramen fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 28, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

congratulations friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Thank you thank you, god it feels great to finally achieve that after spending months on and off trying to pull it off this year.

With how close we were to the end of this year we we starting to joke about making beating CO our New Years Resolution but lo and behold. :blastu: