Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I definitely plan to use a smaller m18 battery with it - the 12ah is way too big for it.

That said, it looks like the M12 matches all the specs of the M18 and beats it in RPM. Weird. Dammit, now I’m second guessing whether I should have gotten that, too - does the M18 beat the M12 on something I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Wait, I thought you were talking about getting an m12 stubby to replace an m18 compact, sorry!

I have a m18 hi-torque, m18 compact, m12 stubby and right-angle m12. The compact never sees any real use, the stubby feels better in basically every way.

Gonna pick up the new mid-torque real soon to deal with the gap in my torque range :clint:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No worries. From looking at youtube reviews, it looks like they're largely interchangeable, with maybe a slightly higher ability to remove fasteners on the M18, along with better lights and a sliiiiiightly shorter length.

Between that and it's a pretty smokin' deal, I'm good with it, it'll do for me. I'll have to find some smaller M18 batteries, but that's easy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Gonna pick up the new mid-torque real soon to deal with the gap in my torque range :clint:

While us scrubs are over here feathering the trigger for more or less bapbaps on our only impact.

M12 stubby spec is ridiculous though, can't disagree.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

cakesmith handyman posted:

While us scrubs are over here feathering the trigger for more or less bapbaps on our only impact.

M12 stubby spec is ridiculous though, can't disagree.

When you swing it all day long, the high torque gets heavy. It’s like building a house with a sledgehammer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh absolutely, if you use it all day and have the money getting the right tools is a no brainer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I should get that combo on the last page strictly for the battery.
In Canadastan, the battery itself is about 350.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Project Farm has a new video on electric screwdrivers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ealubZGT8ec

I used to think they would be useless but a few years gave in and got one form a hardware store when they had them for like $10. It looks exactly the same as the PinkPower from the review minus the sexism:

It's nowhere near the best of the bunch but turned out to be very useful over the years when I didn't have the impact or didn't want to drag it out.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That looks a lot like my sick rear end Dakine snowboard tool:

(but is probably much more useful)

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Project Farm has a new video on electric screwdrivers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ealubZGT8ec

I actually just purchased a Makita DF012 (not the model he tested) and I enjoy it quite a bit. Figured I wanted something to pair with longer bits for assembly/disassembly. The clutch just stopping entirely on it actually is quite nice, and it’s beefy enough to hold up.

Apparently there’s an impact version too (Gear Show on youtube uses an older white model in his recent videos).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

mobby_6kl posted:

I used to think they would be useless but a few years gave in and got one form a hardware store when they had them for like $10. It looks exactly the same as the PinkPower from the review minus the sexism:

It's nowhere near the best of the bunch but turned out to be very useful over the years when I didn't have the impact or didn't want to drag it out.

I've got the M12 screwdriver and I use that fucker constantly. That paired with the M12 Fuel drill is a killer 1-2 combo that's gutsy enough to do some work and compact enough to carry both with one hand.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I love the M12 screwdriver. I looked a million times at the various lower voltage/screwdriver format versions but still haven't gone for any yet. It's weird that Milwaukee has kept that M4 monstrosity around for so many years without ever updating it (or just getting rid of it).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mobby_6kl posted:

Man that B&D is tragic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mobby_6kl posted:

My God why did I watch this video. I can't say I cared about them before and I still don't. At best I'd get a little 12v impact.

The guy is committed to the testing though and I respect it though.

I mostly came to say that Work Semiautomatic screwdriver is a problematic design. I wouldn't let my kid run around with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

I mostly came to say that Work Semiautomatic screwdriver is a problematic design. I wouldn't let my kid run around with it.

I would have loved playing with it as a ten year old!

That Dewalt gyro control seems super bad?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone got a recommendation for a non-garbage tier left hand drill bit set available online? I've never seen any that I recall in stores locally and shopping for them on Amazon is bringing up an alphabet soup of companies I suspect are selling crap and reviews seem to bear that out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

These are fantastic, they're $$$ though https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/left-hand-drill-bit-sets/

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004
I've had the Irwin 5 piece for a long time, and they worked great when I owned nothing but rust buckets.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Cobalt-64-Inch-Assortment-30520/dp/B0002NYBJG

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

monsterzero posted:

That looks a lot like my sick rear end Dakine snowboard tool:

(but is probably much more useful)

I would probably hate actually using this, but drat that looks so cool!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
It was fine for using, and less likely to become a shank than a #3 Philips driver, but it wasn't great at retaining the bits. But it felt p cool to pull that out when you come up on a kid trying to unfuck his bindings in the trees.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Please tell me it had a button you could hit that would open and close each compartment one-by-one, like that scene in the first Iron Man movie where he's testing the second armor he made.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it does that but the Worx has this feature:

https://i.imgur.com/7eFqrRL.mp4

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Package arrived. The dogs are interested:

And the verdict is -- brand new replacement:

The switch is heavier than my old one, but yup, it's a saw that works when I pull the trigger, so that's better than what I sent them!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

boxen posted:

Please tell me it had a button you could hit that would open and close each compartment one-by-one, like that scene in the first Iron Man movie where he's testing the second armor he made.

Sadly, no, you twist a ring aft of the compartments and they all open together. And the 'mag' drops and a bit falls out.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think it does that but the Worx has this feature:

https://i.imgur.com/7eFqrRL.mp4

So I have a version of this from years and years ago, but the part I didn’t understand is:

You can pull that top back and just chamber the next bit automatically. It’s the coolest part of that, why would he only pull that back half way, then manually do it with his fingers?!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Habibi posted:

So I have a version of this from years and years ago, but the part I didn’t understand is:

You can pull that top back and just chamber the next bit automatically. It’s the coolest part of that, why would he only pull that back half way, then manually do it with his fingers?!

It's a California model, it has to be manual action rather than semi automatic.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

It's a California model, it has to be manual action rather than semi automatic.

and the mag isn't removable, gotta reload through the muzzle.

and there's a grip fin so you can't wrap your fingers around it, lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Package arrived. The dogs are interested:

And the verdict is -- brand new replacement:

The switch is heavier than my old one, but yup, it's a saw that works when I pull the trigger, so that's better than what I sent them!

May have praised too quickly. :(

This one is doing the same grinding that the last one did. It's not so bad that it hangs and shuts down like the last one, but I feel it's only a matter of time.

Then, when I actually looked at it, I saw that there's a "WD 1901" engraving on the handle. :wtf:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Upside, now you escalate it, you'll hopefully end up with a shiny new model.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:lol: Perfect.
They'll pull a Google and keep sending refurbs until you get a good one or shut up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

meatpimp posted:

May have praised too quickly. :(

This one is doing the same grinding that the last one did. It's not so bad that it hangs and shuts down like the last one, but I feel it's only a matter of time.

Then, when I actually looked at it, I saw that there's a "WD 1901" engraving on the handle. :wtf:

You should post that on garagejournal and see if the original owner replies. :lol:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Hypnolobster posted:

I love the M12 screwdriver. I looked a million times at the various lower voltage/screwdriver format versions but still haven't gone for any yet. It's weird that Milwaukee has kept that M4 monstrosity around for so many years without ever updating it (or just getting rid of it).

The M4 is popular with controls and panelboard wiring.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

:lol: Perfect.
They'll pull a Google and keep sending refurbs until you get a good one or shut up.

Yup. Official reply from Milwaukee is that they send refurb replacements and I received the correct item.

I'll run the balls off it until it breaks again, then they can replace it again. Stupid decision on their part, builds customer distrust. I'll be telling whomever I talk tools with about that bullshit. I don't care if it's a refurb, but at least don't have SOMEONE ELSE'S INITIALS carved into what you send to me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Yup. Official reply from Milwaukee is that they send refurb replacements and I received the correct item.

I'll run the balls off it until it breaks again, then they can replace it again. Stupid decision on their part, builds customer distrust. I'll be telling whomever I talk tools with about that bullshit. I don't care if it's a refurb, but at least don't have SOMEONE ELSE'S INITIALS carved into what you send to me.

Nice. You can always hasten the demise. I get it, they're not gonna pull a completely new tool and I approve of their repair instead of replace philosophy, but engravings are a bit much. Especially if you're a pro and engravings are actually important to reduce theft.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So many companies do that refurb poo poo without warning. It's so frustrating.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Might be frustrating, but it's still a hell of a deal on a repeating warranty that you can use over and over.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What’s the current best option for floor jacks?

The Daytona Super Duty jack seems to check all the right boxes but getting one from a Harbor Freight to me is a problem. I wouldn’t say I’m banned, exactly, but I would have to travel out of state.

Bonus points if whatever is great these days is available to be shipped for not-insane amounts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Banned?

Story time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Banned?

Story time.

sounds like an entertaining way of saying "aint got poo poo in alaska" :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Rhyno posted:

Banned?

Story time.

I did some very dirty things in a hole with a big black iron pipe & HF pipe threader. Completely wrecked it. (the pipe threader)

Raluek posted:

sounds like an entertaining way of saying "aint got poo poo in alaska" :shobon:

I’m allowed in any Harbor Freight not located in Alaska.