Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sheep posted:

Just in case there weren't enough cringe worthy things about this job, Meraki's next webinar is apparently going to be in the format of a musical.

If there's one thing I need in my life it is nerds singing about cloud managed network hardware :rolleyes:

The only way that webinar will have a "show-stopping number" is if one of the unfortunate dead-eyed husks roped in to perform it manages to work up the courage to actually pull the trigger and end their life mid-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I mean, a lot of the day to day poo poo posted in here sounds way more suicide inducing than getting paid to warble some goofy songs on a webex.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

Just in case there weren't enough cringe worthy things about this job, Meraki's next webinar is apparently going to be in the format of a musical.

If there's one thing I need in my life it is nerds singing about cloud managed network hardware :rolleyes:

Andy Bernard school of sales

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

I mean, a lot of the day to day poo poo posted in here sounds way more suicide inducing than getting paid to warble some goofy songs on a webex.

I just finished writing 50 pages of "self-help" material for users, basically a wikis worth, because the majority of the staff here are technologically retarded. Also, because I jokingly said to my boss, "I'm bored," while I was in the middle of doing Group Policy poo poo and my whiteboard had a giant list on it. Everything from updating Firefox to "how to login to your Nexus 7 tablet" (actually had a call about this one day, solution: swipe up). In fact, my boss keeps a photo of a user who, apparently, plugged a power bar into itself after a power outage in an attempt to conjure up some ouroboros magic or something. :suicide:

I would hate all these mouth breathing techno-plebs if they weren't such loving nice people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuck Finley posted:

I just finished writing 50 pages of "self-help" material for users, basically a wikis worth

Break out MediaWiki and actually make a wiki with all that info instead of some kind of chunk of dense information they're expected to dig through. It'll make life easier for you when you have to point out the obvious thing they somehow couldn't see.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

I suggested this. He told me that wikis are useless and in his vast experience in the field he has determined that IT departments are obsessed with wikis and they are fundamentally useless. :shrug: Anyway, I argued this pretty hard and his final rebuttal was to come up with something called "Tech Tips Tuesday" and to publish that poo poo on Yammer. He took my info dump of self help and is going to dole it out over the year(s), long after I'm gone, like some tech heroin poo poo.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

pixaal posted:

I always have an outside resource as a lookup unless the remote site is getting virus definitions from primary site, has under 5% the total users and accounts for 95% of viruses because they are horrible at computers. It's a really weird exception, and I'm sure there's a few more. But unless you want that site to go down if the primary site is down you want to use other DNS servers someplace in there.

anthonypants posted:

As far as I know, best practice is to put external forwarders on each of your domain controllers, and you can run dnsbench/namebench to figure out which is faster. But you have some weird primary/secondary domain thing, and if the secondaries are completely segregated, maybe there's no communication with other domain controllers at all, and that's going to be a point of failure regardless of DNS. If you can't add external DNS servers to your secondaries' forwarders, maybe you can add other internal DNS servers.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Would like to outsource my wife from time to time though

Re: dns forwarders, just point all DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and call it a day.

Thanks for the feedback!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuck Finley posted:

I suggested this. He told me that wikis are useless and in his vast experience in the field he has determined that IT departments are obsessed with wikis and they are fundamentally useless. :shrug: Anyway, I argued this pretty hard and his final rebuttal was to come up with something called "Tech Tips Tuesday" and to publish that poo poo on Yammer. He took my info dump of self help and is going to dole it out over the year(s), long after I'm gone, like some tech heroin poo poo.

Oh christ, run. :cripes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chuck Finley posted:

Throw it on a wiki and have him link to the wiki pages every Tuesday?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chuck Finley posted:

IT departments are obsessed with wikis and they are fundamentally useless.

aka "I don't understand how wikis work"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love a god drat wiki so much. So essential for knowledge transfer.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love a god drat wiki so much. So essential for knowledge transfer.

I keep a TiddlyWiki for myself for most topics. Need some information? Export some tiddlers and it's all yours, ready to take any notes you might want to have!

Companies that avoid Wikis often don't want a community to edit the content. It's like they haven't heard of user-based security or something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mewse posted:

Alternatively "Every documentation wiki I've encountered was set up by morons", which is quite often the case.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How is something called Yammer more useful than loving wikis

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

alg posted:

How is something called Yammer more useful than loving wikis

They took the CTO and CFO out to a nice dinner, of course.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Here's a question which may not have an answer because it may be personal preference

What's the best Wiki, in your opinion?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Here's a question which may not have an answer because it may be personal preference

I'll vote for MediaWiki because it seems to have the most support. I've only ever used MediaWiki and I haven't looked into any other wikis so I can't defend this decision at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm fond of TikiWiki, tho I haven't touched it in years. It was just so easy to set up and get configured, and had SO many features(its more than just a wiki, it has forums and chats and all kinds of other poo poo you probably won't want to turn on)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Confluence if the licensing fits nicely with team member count.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

mewse posted:

To be fair, he's a really nice guy. But, he doesn't entertain any discussion when he's made up his mind. :v: I talked to him later about it and his response was, basically, you're not going to be here in a few months and I really don't want to have to support backups, update a wiki when you're gone (I think this is the main reason), and generally add to his work load when he can accomplish the same thing with Microsoft's stupid enterprise Facebook. Efficiency and the like didn't really come into the discussion. Plus, I'm pretty drat sure he actually likes getting support calls. He just enjoys talking to people and guiding them through the most menial poo poo.

Unfortunately, we're moving a site next week and it's about two hours outta town, so he's gotta be onsite there to supervise while I hold down the fort. All those lovely calls are gonna end up on me.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Confluence if the licensing fits nicely with team member count.

Maybe I'm weird but I really don't like wikis because they suck to navigate. I threw up a Confluence server using the £10 licence and set all the pages to anonymous access (no loving way is anyone going to use anything non-critical with login creds), a main page with a big search box and listings for departments with common task links, then to top it off a GPO to push out a desktop shortcut to this.

I first deployed it on the sly and eventually the big cheese noticed and thought it was a really good idea :cool:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Chuck Finley posted:

I took a job where I found out on day 2 that the core values of the group were 'we don't need checklists because we are professionals' and 'documentation is a waste of time because it is always out of date so we don't do it'.

Taking that job was the worst decision in my professional life, and I learned a lot about what to ask during an interview process to mostly avoid amateur hour bullshit spectaculars.

RUN AWAY.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I could go the rest of my life without being told that production and test should mirror each other. I wonder how that would happen without spending money.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I could go the rest of my life without being told that production and test should mirror each other. I wonder how that would happen without spending money.

rsync :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I keep trying to robocopy this 20TB LUN to these servers you provided me with only local storage, but damned if I don't keep running into problems

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My company's documentation is encoded into various books and scrolls within our internal MUD.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My test DB is 9 months out of date, I've ported patches over. The real problem is its a horrible custom database. Software has used SQL for 10 years, we're on the last version that isn't SQL There's a ton of custom work about as much as Radium did to the forums so upgrading will break a bunch of stuff. It's going to happen at some point but yeah. So custom DB stuff a regular backup takes about 10 hours, restore takes 72 hours, and a backup for test takes 48 hours. We're waaaay outside of scope of what this software was designed to do. If I ever have to recover from backup we're just going to have to give everyone a few days off.

I've brought this up, no one seems to care. Well they do, but its "one more reason to upgrade" I get that we don't have the money or server OS for the new version. At least "phase 1" is upgrades the servers and virtualize so hey new hardware that does even make up 1% of the total cost if we want to keep everything, about 33% of the total cost if we want to start from square 1. (I think everyone is on board finding individual solutions instead of tacking everything into one big program)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My company's documentation is encoded into various books and scrolls within our internal MUD.

You gotta reach level six before you can roll to see your salary, lots of early minmaxing and rng.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

pixaal posted:

There's a ton of custom work about as much as Radium did to the forums so upgrading will break a bunch of stuff.
Ahh so basically nothing's been done and you've been scamming the boss for years under the guise of friendship?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm a level 75 dragonian paladin. I still can't get into the password database.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ahh so basically nothing's been done and you've been scamming the boss for years under the guise of friendship?

The custom work pre-dates me but yeah seems to have been the case. Most of the stuff is pretty simple and shouldn't have been crammed into the database functionality. My job isn't even a DBA, we have a 3rd party for any customization work. But oh no he could save the company money! He learned to program to not have to pay $200/hr outsourcing it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RFC2324 posted:

I'm a level 75 dragonian paladin. I still can't get into the password database.

Time to remort.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This loving irritates me to no end. (not you Fruit)

STOP loving CALLING A UAT ENVIRONMENT "PRE-PROD"

Until it has like-for-like hardware, software and OS deployed to it, it's NOT loving pre-prod (data should be dummy, but as close to format and size as the real data). Pre-prod deployment should come after the initial UAT as a final test that nothing in our live production systems will make it blow poo poo up when it's deployed.

You don't want to spend the money. I get it. But don't try to say "but it went through 'pre-prod'!" when they deployment shits its pants on the go-live date, when not only did it NOT get a pre-prod deployment, we don't even have an environment which even the most generous person would call as such.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Absolutely and totally.

I was on a call with a major customer of ours. They're huge. If they complain to the right person, they can basically have any of us fired, that's how desperate we are to keep them happy. While on the call, I mention a change I'd made in the test environment. One of our directors from the product side is like, well that's not in production, shouldn't production and test match? Don't we keep them 1 for 1?

Which is possibly the most ridiculous question I've ever been asked *in front of the customer*, since he KNOWS that we don't and that it's completely impossible. Given the choice between saying that yes the environments match (resulting in a sweeping change to production, or undoing my test change, neither of which will be happening), or saying that no basically the test domain is the wild west and we're lucky that anything works by the time it hits prod, I chose a third option. I simply stopped speaking. That was a glorious 10 seconds of silence before they moved on to the next topic. I just don't understand why you would ever ask me a question where, if I answer it, any answer I give is going to infuriate our largest customer.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It's good news for you if you only have test and prod. We have dev, test, stage, prod, sandbox, infrastructure, and QA (not to be confused with test!). Our dev environment at this point actually can block prod deploys because of the pipeline setup.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Working in IT 3.0: My company's documentation is encoded into various books and scrolls within our internal MUD.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
TEST IS PRODUCTION

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
At least you guys have test and/or staging environments. We just have one: production.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My boss said he doesn't like test environments and wants to get rid of mine :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My boss said he doesn't like test environments and wants to get rid of mine :|

Why do you have a test printer deployment?