Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

vorebane posted:

And then you opened that supply cache and a ghost dad was inside, and everyone lived happily ever after.

and that ghost dad's name?

Albert Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

Legit impressed about your skill. What do you think about non-masc non-jumpjets mediums, for example the GRF-2N and GRF-3M, will they be better or worse off come the engine decoupling?

Commoners is horrifying. Who else could make a heat-neutral King Crab using PPCs, and last an entire round of CW without dying while dishing out the majority of the games damage? Also don't play with him when he uses an Archer, or he'll go mad with power and TK you.

Edit: And also tell you stories of the military chain of command at the same time, which may or may not involve him throwing a fire extinguisher at an electrical fire in frustration if I remember right.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Repo Man posted:

Commoners is horrifying. Who else could make a heat-neutral King Crab using PPCs, and last an entire round of CW without dying while dishing out the majority of the games damage? Also don't play with him when he uses an Archer, or he'll go mad with power and TK you.

Edit: And also tell you stories of the military chain of command at the same time, which may or may not involve him throwing a fire extinguisher at an electrical fire in frustration if I remember right.

Thank you for this personal commoners fantasy. Personally I find it weird, but to each his own.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

johntherussian posted:

I never understood why people hate poptarts so much. It's one of the more fun styles of gameplay. Honestly, the only people that would dislike it are the lovely aim bads.

After playing three games where poptarting was an unchanging meta because poo poo didn't get patched as often back then, I'd rather play something that isn't "sit in this specific spot and lob poo poo overhead so both sides can make as realistic a reproduction of WWI trench warfare as possible.".

It has nothing to do with "lol ur bad" and everything to do with "this is boring and not fun.".

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

As much as I enjoy an occasional round of MWO, I have been playing MWLL a lot lately.
And it's just fun to jump in a UAC20/MRM40 Demolisher and show those disgusting mechs that treads are the way of the future.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Skoll posted:

After playing three games where poptarting was an unchanging meta because poo poo didn't get patched as often back then, I'd rather play something that isn't "sit in this specific spot and lob poo poo overhead so both sides can make as realistic a reproduction of WWI trench warfare as possible.".

It has nothing to do with "lol ur bad" and everything to do with "this is boring and not fun.".

The reign of the Cataphract with 2 PPC and 1 Gauss was truly lovely. Games were often determined by which side of the map you spawned on and how many poptarts you brought. It wasn't hard to aim, it was just not at all fun to either be or be shot by one team dumping PPC and Gauss downrange while the other fell apart one robit at a time.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The reign of the Cataphract with 2 PPC and 1 Gauss was truly lovely. Games were often determined by which side of the map you spawned on and how many poptarts you brought. It wasn't hard to aim, it was just not at all fun to either be or be shot by one team dumping PPC and Gauss downrange while the other fell apart one robit at a time.

I wasn't just talking about MWO, but sometimes MW2 had it, MW3 had it, and in MW4 it was pretty much the dominant strat in any league game unless you did stock leagues. It is just insanely boring gameplay that is way more suited to playing poo poo like Arma than big stompy robots. I understand the "zomg win at all costs" play to win mentality, but I'm in my 30s now and I don't give a gently caress about that MLG try hard poo poo anymore. I just want to have fun smashing a giant robot against another giant robot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"Make sure that the optimal way to play is also the fun way."

There's nothing inherently wrong with Poptarting, but because competitive players will tend to drift toward the inherent advantages it has to be kept in mind when designing systems. Otherwise, it takes over and nobody ever gets to play a different style ever again. As for the patch, I messed around on the PTS a bit and it seems like both MASC and JJs might need a nerf if they go ahead with the mobility changes. Mechs with either one easily outperform their competition and the handful with both are just bonkers, as you can see in the video Commoners posted.

Edit: I still do like the big stompy robit game, though. And one thing I do like about the patch is not needing three copies of a chassis to master the only one worth piloting. That's a big plus for a newcomer pleb with only a dozen or so mechs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 28, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rysithusiku posted:

The exe has 3 energy mounts at cockpit level. I fill them with large lasers. Reserve hand mounts for brawly poo poo. Smalls, spls, srms, whatever.
e: also it has 16 hardlocked dhs. If you can't fit enough heatsinks you're doing something wrong.

You mean PPCs right? After all, we're talking poptarts here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: I still do like the big stompy robit game, though. And one thing I do like about the patch is not needing three copies of a chassis to master the only one worth piloting. That's a big plus for a newcomer pleb with only a dozen or so mechs.

It does mean the only `Mechs you'll see are the 'optimal' chassis though. Especially since their skill--I hesitate to call it a tree, but "skill Habsberg Genealogy" doesn't have the same ring to it--promotes grinding on one chassis over and over until the sun burns out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And good luck if you want to try different loadouts. Instead of having three mechs of different variants, you'll have to buy three of the same variant of the same mech just to experiment with different poo poo.

Nothing really changes, you just get the appearance of change.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It does mean the only `Mechs you'll see are the 'optimal' chassis though. Especially since their skill--I hesitate to call it a tree, but "skill Habsberg Genealogy" doesn't have the same ring to it--promotes grinding on one chassis over and over until the sun burns out.

You already see this. THink about how many KDK-3s you see vs. any other variant. There's always one or two dominant chassis and the only time you see the others is when someone is just grinding for mastery. The way you get diversity of different variants being brought out is have them all be at least somewhat viable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's hardly ideal, but I do think the current system of needing to purchase and grind sub-optimal variants is decidedly worse. It's especially comical with Omnimechs, where the only thing you're "buying" is the CT.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skoll posted:

And good luck if you want to try different loadouts. Instead of having three mechs of different variants, you'll have to buy three of the same variant of the same mech just to experiment with different poo poo.

Not quite. You can "purchase" all of the skill nodes on a variant, but only 91 can be active at a given time. The initial purchase costs 45k C-bills and 800 XP per node. Once you own it, a node can be deactivated for free and reactivated for 400xp. So a full respec would cost 36.5k XP.

Which is... still not great. That's a pretty steep price to respec your mech. Of course, you probably wouldn't need to change all 91 nodes, but the fact that you have to pay XP to swap your loadout at all is a huge loving bummer.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

You already see this. THink about how many KDK-3s you see vs. any other variant. There's always one or two dominant chassis and the only time you see the others is when someone is just grinding for mastery. The way you get diversity of different variants being brought out is have them all be at least somewhat viable.

Eh. I've seen people enjoy playing the 2, Spirit Bear, and occasionally the 5 as a gimmick energy brawler.

3 just has a poo poo ton of things going for it.

Also, what would you guys say would be the minimum amount of ammo for a LBX-10. 2 tons is probably the bare minimum. You'd probably want at least 2.5?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

Eh. I've seen people enjoy playing the 2, Spirit Bear, and occasionally the 5 as a gimmick energy brawler.

Also, what would you guys say would be the minimum amount of ammo for a LBX-10. 2 tons is probably the bare minimum. You'd probably want at least 2.5?

What's your total cooldown bonus?

The only time I use the LBX10 is on the Centurion-D, and four tons on that one tend to just barely carry me to the end of a match, but it has a -40% cooldown quirk (57.5% with skills and modules) so it fires about twice as fast as an un-quirked mech.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

in the lbx40 bear you want 4 lbx10s(obv), max engine, then just fill the fucker with ammo and heatsinks. Adjust depending on heat vs running out of ammo. I tend to fill it with heatsinks until i'm critlocked then back it out for ammo. I think I'm actually currently critlocked with enough ammo to do 1500 damage or more.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you for this personal commoners fantasy. Personally I find it weird, but to each his own.

Those are all things he has actually done. Back when we could get up to 3 full groups together, people used to do fun poo poo and tell bizarre stories about their lives.

Can the engine decoupling stuff be offset by the skill tree somewhat? If it can, then it would be absolutely mandatory for most mechs to get into that tree as soon as possible. I mean, if anyone is still playing when the skill tree drops...

So I've run through the thread suggestions and the absolutely massive tech manual worth of sugestions sent by the Tech Support at MWO, and nothing is working. I can at least see the new loading screens, but that's it. No other games are affected other than MWO by whatever is happening, so I'm going to keep in touch with the MWO tech support. They were nice enough to remove penalties from my account for appearing to join and leave matches just for quick c-bills at least.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:laffo:

There's a thread on the MWO forums comparing anti-LRM bias to racism.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please link that when you have the chance or at least tell me which subforum it's in tia

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

please link that when you have the chance or at least tell me which subforum it's in tia

The Hate for LRMs is getting to the point of racism

quote:

your looking down upon some one for a weapon type this is stooped and childish and you know it

LRMs are a meh weapon and your harassing people for it

look at the forms all these threads abut LRM hate

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/199980-hostility-towards-lrm-players/

^he was asked to leave the game for weapon choice

this is childish and ******* ********

that is why im asking you the MWO community to ask PGI to add weapon harassment to the list of warning/temp ban hand outs

it is no longer a joke this hate is getting out of hand

iv been in games were people TK the LRM boat for having LRMs

you look down upon some one for a weapon type in a video game

how pathetic do you have to be to harass some over this

im going to stop this stupidity one way or another

PS. your driving out players from a game with such a small player base lets see how great your #META is when no one is playing

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh its babycakes. He's a huge troll.

And probably an idiot. But a troll.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
eh yeah his is whatever but other people are kinda whining about it too and it makes me giggle

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The forums are a sad place. They serve as a constant reminder that the BT fan community is populated almost exclusively by aging white nerds who are growing progressively more jaded as the world leaves them further and further behind. I don't like how that reflects on me. Not one bit!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

The forums are a sad place. They serve as a constant reminder that the BT fan community is populated almost exclusively by aging white nerds who are growing progressively more jaded as the world leaves them further and further behind. I don't like how that reflects on me. Not one bit!

Yeah, I mean it's a systematic racial issue that more black kids weren't into Battletech. :jerkbag:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Skippy McPants posted:

They empathize with the 500 year old mechs that are brought out of the closet for one more use.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Commoners posted:

They empathize with the 500 year old mechs that are brought out of the closet for one more use.

Look, I'm not saying Grandpa's Hunchback is a racist, but you REALLY don't want to know what the startup code is.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

Yeah, I mean it's a systematic racial issue that more black kids weren't into Battletech. :jerkbag:

i mean, the ludicrously racist setting probably doesn't help

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

i mean, the ludicrously racist setting probably doesn't help

80s racial stereotypes in a 80s tabletop game, zomg. I'm sure x race was extremely offended when Battledroids came out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

80s racial stereotypes in a 80s tabletop game, zomg. I'm sure x race was extremely offended when Battledroids came out.

it was ludicrously racist by the standards of the 80s and 90s, too. Field Manual: Crusader Clans, with its murderous savage native american pastiches, was as late as 1998. it's not like these old books went away, either: PDFs of the old IS field manuals and house books with their fu manchu expies and cartoonish overbite portraits were addons for the harebrained battletech kickstarter.

there's so much orientalist and anti-native stuff you have to hold your nose and ignore if you dig into BT sourcebooks or novels, and the people willing to do that are predominantly white.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

it was ludicrously racist by the standards of the 80s and 90s, too. Field Manual: Crusader Clans, with its murderous savage native american pastiches, was as late as 1998. it's not like these old books went away, either: PDFs of the old IS field manuals and house books with their fu manchu expies and cartoonish overbite portraits were addons for the harebrained battletech kickstarter.

there's so much orientalist and anti-native stuff you have to hold your nose and ignore if you dig into BT sourcebooks or novels, and the people willing to do that are predominantly white.

You realize that a stereotype is a stereotype for a reason, correct? Yeah, some are bullshit but most are spot on. Caricaturing a culture for a loving board game isn't exactly new ground broken and the fact that people would get upset over it is kind of nuts. It's a GAME, if something bothers you that much, don't play it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

You realize that a stereotype is a stereotype for a reason, correct? Yeah, some are bullshit but most are spot on. Caricaturing a culture for a loving board game isn't exactly new ground broken and the fact that people would get upset over it is kind of nuts. It's a GAME, if something bothers you that much, don't play it.

on top of showing your own racist rear end, you've figured out why battletech's fandom is mainly white dudes, congrats.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

on top of showing your own racist rear end, you've figured out why battletech's fandom is mainly white dudes, congrats.

Its amazing what gets people to out themselves, isn't it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

I know right, I'm a horrible racist because I don't want to sterilize everything because MUH FEELINGS.

You're pretty loving naive if you think white people are the only culture to make satire or caricatures of others.

Holy poo poo guys, look out, intergalactic war in the future where mankind is reduced to a shadow of itself totally won't have mature themes like RACISM or GENOCIDE because Cease to Hope is loving offended in 2017.

Get over yourself.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skoll posted:

I know right, I'm a horrible racist because I don't want to sterilize everything because MUH FEELINGS.

You're pretty loving naive if you think white people are the only culture to make satire or caricatures of others.

Holy poo poo guys, look out, intergalactic war in the future where mankind is reduced to a shadow of itself totally won't have mature themes like RACISM or GENOCIDE because Cease to Hope is loving offended in 2017.

Get over yourself.

Skippy McPants posted:

the BT fan community is populated almost exclusively by aging white nerds who are growing progressively more jaded as the world leaves them further and further behind. I don't like how that reflects on me. Not one bit!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say prove I'm angry and jaded but no one would believe I'm not. The world definitely isn't leaving angry white people behind though but that's a discussion for D&D.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol cease go back to D&D

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Skoll posted:

but that's a discussion for D&D.

Nothing is a discussion for D&D.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Grognan posted:

lol cease go back to D&D

nah feel free and stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We are all friends here, mechbros, united in misery by this awful game despite our contrary opinions.

• Locked thread