Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
They are like cockroaches with axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
More like chickens really.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Angry Lobster posted:

They are like cockroaches with axes.

Really freaking bloodthirsty cockroaches. I just noticed that the reason he flubbed that leaping strike was because his buddy basically shoulder checked him out of the way while he was in mid air.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Yeah I noticed them being able to do that attack a while ago.

Slayers are actually decent now, and Gejnor's mod makes them even more accessible. While they don't have any armor, they do have missile resistance, charge defense vs large, bonus damage vs large, pretty good armor piercing, fearless, and get one last attack off when they die.

They're great vs other particularly nasty units like Chaos Spawn, mounted lords, coutner-charging cavalry, and flanking units. Dragonback Slayers make an excellent suicide unit, able to inflict a lot of damage before they all go down. I also find them handy for stalling up enemy reinforcements coming in since they are fearless.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The RoR Slayer unit was the only reason I managed to beat Grombrindal's armor quest early on, they dealt with the horde of chaos spawns decently enough.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Waaaaaay back I said the AI could see your units when they were hidden.

They absolutely can. My last two units in a battle against chaos were hidden in some trees across the map. The AI formed up in attack formation and headed directly to my hidden units.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

They absolutely can. My last two units in a battle against chaos were hidden in some trees across the map. The AI formed up in attack formation and headed directly to my hidden units.
Whereas I've won defensive battles as the WElves I had no right to win by skirmishing and kiting while some units stayed hidden. They actively searched for my hidden units after my arrows ran out but in search patterns and wouldn't double-back after I snuck units behind areas they'd searched.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ammanas posted:

I once cheesed an entire siege as the Wood Elves by hiding my army, yeah.

That was right when the Wood Elves DLC came out, so maybe they've since added the through search Ravenfood mentions later on to prevent the exploit.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZearothK posted:

I once cheesed an entire siege as the Wood Elves by hiding my army, yeah.

That was right when the Wood Elves DLC came out, so maybe they've since added the through search Ravenfood mentions later on to prevent the exploit.

I can confirm that you can still cheese defences by doing this now, and also that the 'search pattern' movements existed on release of the Wood Elves DLC. It's possible to avoid the searching units, but they do search.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hey guys I need help to finish an Empire save, I kinda fizzle about turn 60

Since I have a lot of fun with them I think it deserves a completion, but I think I need some clear sort of progression strategy

What I am doing so far is:

- Mop up separatists
- Take Marienburg
- Kill orks in the mountains
- Go for Middenheim
- Fizzle

I am thinking that I should attack Wissenland because confederation kinda sucks, but anything after that I feel it is a bit idiotic to defend because stirland/talabecland/everything else is so spread out that it is better as chaos buffer anyway

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dead comedy forums posted:

hey guys I need help to finish an Empire save, I kinda fizzle about turn 60

Since I have a lot of fun with them I think it deserves a completion, but I think I need some clear sort of progression strategy

What I am doing so far is:

- Mop up separatists
- Take Marienburg
- Kill orks in the mountains
- Go for Middenheim
- Fizzle

I am thinking that I should attack Wissenland because confederation kinda sucks, but anything after that I feel it is a bit idiotic to defend because stirland/talabecland/everything else is so spread out that it is better as chaos buffer anyway
Murder the vampires.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The AI remembers the last known place units were if they were ever visible. I've survived attacks by getting two units on either side of the map, taking turns revealing them to kite the enemy army.

EDIT: So for the factions we have. What Special Characters are missing that should be in the game?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 15, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzfDyNJH_Zo

just saw this drop, seemed pretty good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always reach the same dilemma: mortar or other artillery? If you put a mortar far enough back they can fire into melee very effectively. So why bring any other artillery? They can't really do much throughout the fight like mortars can, terrain will gently caress them up, and they're always way expensive. I don't know of an army that mortars won't be very helpful with (except an all-large unit army or something).

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jokes posted:

I always reach the same dilemma: mortar or other artillery? If you put a mortar far enough back they can fire into melee very effectively. So why bring any other artillery? They can't really do much throughout the fight like mortars can, terrain will gently caress them up, and they're always way expensive. I don't know of an army that mortars won't be very helpful with (except an all-large unit army or something).

They're great against big armies of unarmoured dudes, but once you start running into more armoured units and monstrous infantry/creatures then you definitely want cannons/volley guns and the like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

Mortars will smack into heavily armored troops and knock them around but not really kill them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

jokes posted:

Just LOL if you're not bringing two units of rocket batteries and a Sunmaker.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

Mortars will smack into heavily armored troops and knock them around but not really kill them.

The chip damage adds up though, and the artillery morale debuff is always nice. Using Grave Guard as a metric since that's the heaviest armoured infantry you'll probably fight regularly before Chaos Warriors show up, you can get about half a unit down with a single battery concentrating fire in them. They'll often get blobbed up as well, so you can get free kills on units straying too near them.

Still, I do suggest taking cannons once heavily-armored infantry starts composing most of enemy armies, since a blob of heavy infantry getting raked by cannonballs is a wondrous sight to see. Unlike mortars, you can also have cannons pick at more serious threats like armored cavalry and monsters, shaving off a good amount of models/health.

Admittedly I've tried placing cannons at the flanks to little effect; somehow I do much better with two batteries right at the center of my army and doing a somewhat risky checkerboard with Halberdiers as my blockers of choice.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Onmi posted:

The AI remembers the last known place units were if they were ever visible. I've survived attacks by getting two units on either side of the map, taking turns revealing them to kite the enemy army.

EDIT: So for the factions we have. What Special Characters are missing that should be in the game?

Should's a strong term; they've already got a pretty good spread, honestly, and the precedent set by Helman "who the gently caress is that" Ghorst leads me towards them only adding things if they think they'll be neat from a game perspective, which is all to the good.

The Empire's Chief Engineer, maybe? Give him a start out of Nuln, his robo-horse, and start him with a unit of gunhavers, a cannon, and a volley gun?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

Still, I do suggest taking cannons once heavily-armored infantry starts composing most of enemy armies, since a blob of heavy infantry getting raked by cannonballs is a wondrous sight to see. Unlike mortars, you can also have cannons pick at more serious threats like armored cavalry and monsters, shaving off a good amount of models/health.

On the flipside, in my Carcassone campaign I successfully defended my capital from three full stacks of Tilean troops in the early game, maybe right around turn 20, with the garrison + the enchantress' starting army. It was truly a heroic victory. The enchantress had over 1000 kills from spamming her basic spell in the one breached gateway, only ~300 out of 4700+ Tilean troops survived, etc.

Anyway, I decide to pursue what was left out of the enemy away from the walls even though the battle was considered over. All my mounted units were chasing their last surviving general and a stray blessed trebuchet shot raked through my own units and killed my 4 remaining grail guardians (I'm using steel faith where each unit is 6 super knights).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

The Empire's Chief Engineer, maybe? Give him a start out of Nuln, his robo-horse, and start him with a unit of gunhavers, a cannon, and a volley gun?

Well poo poo, I didn't know there was an actual "canon" Castellan-Engineer. So that's where the Nuln Ironsides I see often in mods take their inspiration.

So like, are the only Empire Offices with no associated characters the Treasurer and the Emperor's Eye?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Anyway, I decide to pursue what was left out of the enemy away from the walls even though the battle was considered over. All my mounted units were chasing their last surviving general and a stray blessed trebuchet shot raked through my own units and killed my 4 remaining grail guardians (I'm using steel faith where each unit is 6 super knights).

Bretonnian ranged is deceptively good, man. Trebuchets (and Dwarf Grudge-throwers and Greenskin Rock Lobbas) have the distinct advantage of having a decent curve that will let them shoot back at enemy ranged units once melee begins and solid AoE armor-piercing damage; to the point that I'd keep them in midgame Dwarf armies if it weren't for the call of technology.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Heads up, the Humble Store has all TWW DLC at 25% off, which is probably as low as it's gonna go for a while.

The game itself is also 50% off but I'm pretty sure everyone itt has it by now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Yeah grudge throwers in particular are nice because they share the same +12% damage/ammo bonus as quarrelers from the tactician skill,along with many artillery research upgrades.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Lizardmen roster reveal tomorrow

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

:pcgaming:

I'm not really expecting any surprises here, but it'll be nice to have it all in the open. They'll probably pull the usual thing and leave a couple of units out for a later DLC.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't know there was an actual "canon" Castellan-Engineer. So that's where the Nuln Ironsides I see often in mods take their inspiration.

So like, are the only Empire Offices with no associated characters the Treasurer and the Emperor's Eye?

Bretonnian ranged is deceptively good, man. Trebuchets (and Dwarf Grudge-throwers and Greenskin Rock Lobbas) have the distinct advantage of having a decent curve that will let them shoot back at enemy ranged units once melee begins and solid AoE armor-piercing damage; to the point that I'd keep them in midgame Dwarf armies if it weren't for the call of technology.

I used a cheap gobbo army with 5 lobbas to take out dwarves in my latest game as the savage orcs.
My main army was nothing but savage biguns and savage bigun boar boys which also worked stupid well because of that leaders magic damage for his army.(and was stupid cheap to maintain) Hitting my late game with tier 3 buildings was fun at first, but good god was the game over by turn 70 with only two armies and 200k gold sitting around.
In general going heavy on artillery and cavalry is really good once you get a waagh to be your meat shield.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to getting the game and I have a few questions. I am starting off as Empire to get a feel for the game and I remember hearing that you could capture artillery pieces from the enemy during Franz's first quest battle. So my question is how do you do it?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

I predict small lizards, big lizards, flying lizards, and magical frogmen. Am I missing anything?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I predict small lizards, big lizards, flying lizards, and magical frogmen. Am I missing anything?

Lizards riding lizards

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mordja posted:

Heads up, the Humble Store has all TWW DLC at 25% off, which is probably as low as it's gonna go for a while.

The game itself is also 50% off but I'm pretty sure everyone itt has it by now.

Ooh, and Medieval and Shogun for $2 each. Haven't played those since I lost the CDs, but I still have the manual somewhere.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Aurubin posted:

Medium lizards

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wafflecopper posted:

Medium lizards

And lizards with lasers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hey VC players: How do you counter mounted archers? The typical strategy for other armies is ranged infantry which seems to be the VC weakness, as in they don't have any at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Dire Wolves should be able to chase them down and you can also use flyers I suppose.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Away all Goats posted:

Hey VC players: How do you counter mounted archers? The typical strategy for other armies is ranged infantry which seems to be the VC weakness, as in they don't have any at all.

Raise the dead under their hooves or send bats and flying monsters after them. Raising zombies to halt them is generally what I do and most mounted ranged units are cowards.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Puppies! They're the fastest and best anti-ranged unit! They also do a real good job biting playing with melee infantry after loving up ranged units!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Away all Goats posted:

As other have said the dire wolves have a good chance of catching anything.

But really you can probably just ignore the mounted archers and just keep marching straight at their main infantry block. Mounted ranged units have pretty small unit counts and low fire rates so they can't really deal too much damage you can't fix with a cheap heal spell.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Ignore them and crush everyone else or raise undead under their feet then throw Vargheists at them. The latter strategy works for almost everything, actually.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thanks for the advice! I completely didn't know you could just use raise zombies whenever, I thought units had to die first. I'll try that and the direwolves puppies

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

Should's a strong term; they've already got a pretty good spread, honestly, and the precedent set by Helman "who the gently caress is that" Ghorst leads me towards them only adding things if they think they'll be neat from a game perspective, which is all to the good.

I mean I can't imagine special things for him, but Kurt Helborg seems to be the same concept just to have the games canon Reiksmarshal. Ludwig Schwarzhelm should have been apart of Karl. And everyone thought we were getting Markus Wulfhart with the Beastmen.

• Locked thread