Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dustoph posted:

It's bad that I would rather read JS posts in this thread than GGGC's isn't it?

Senor Dog posted:

Nah, I totally agree

You're openly stating that you prefer reading misogynistic and bigoted hate-speech to any story you consider boring.

Not the kind of thing I'd want to admit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Disneyland have tons of different restaurants or something? I hear some people just absolutely gush over how great it is, but others make it sound like a Denny's buffet

They're a theme park in Anaheim of course they're going to have tons of restaurants but who the gently caress would ever say they're good in any metric beyond clearing out your bank account

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gariig posted:

At Disney World there's a AAA 5 diamond coat required but they'll give you one if you don't have it restaurant called Victoria and Albert's. There's a ton of restaurants running from OK fast food for $20/person to Victoria and Albert's for $300-500/person

The restaurant on top of the Contemporary is pretty awesome for sunsets and Magic Kingdom fireworks

The restaurant in Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kingdom was actually pretty good, and if you're in the last seating you get to watch the fireworks from a pretty unique view. My mother has spent a lot, lot more than $100k with Disney in her life.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

gariig posted:

At Disney World there's a AAA 5 diamond coat required but they'll give you one if you don't have it restaurant called Victoria and Albert's. There's a ton of restaurants running from OK fast food for $20/person to Victoria and Albert's for $300-500/person

The restaurant on top of the Contemporary is pretty awesome for sunsets and Magic Kingdom fireworks

Disney world has many expensive, but good restaurants themed mainly for adults. However, they also have many expensive, but bad restaurants themed mainly for kids - many of which are buffets with garbage food where your kids get to “meet the characters”.

In the vein of how much people will spend on Disney in a lifetime, it used to be that if you wanted to eat at a good Disney restaurant for dinner on short notice, you could usually call them that day or week and book it. Then they changed the system to allow people staying at the Disney hotels to book reservations far in advance of their trip, so they can sit there with their kids and fantasize over their dream vacation to forget their awful lives. Pretty much all of them are now booked solid 6 full months out to the day. People will book multiple restaurants on the same days to try and get the dates that they want. Disney then had to institute $10 per cancellation fees because the Joneses would book 4 of their choice restaurants at the same time, hoping to get the 5th one that wasn’t available for that time on that day.

Disney freaks are definitely BWM and likely BWL. When I worked there in 1999, I went to a class, in which the staff had us discuss the average $ spent on a vacation. At that time, the average was $5000 for a family of 4 staying at the resort, if you include the cost of a weeks worth of Disney hotel, airfare, rental car, food, tickets and souvenirs. I imagine it’s increased a lot in 20 years. Thankfully, I got a real job now that pays extremely well, because working for Disney is also BWM and likely also BWL. They did just pass a $15 minimum wage by 2021 IIRC though, so :toot:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Disneyland have tons of different restaurants or something? I hear some people just absolutely gush over how great it is, but others make it sound like a Denny's buffet

There is a AAA 5 diamond restaurant in the Grand Floridian at Disneyworld (probably equivalent to a 1 or 2 Michelin Star) and a couple of very good restaurants in the nearby Four Seasons and Waldorf Astoria resorts. They are the best restaurants in Orlando probably although that isn't saying terribly much. If you are a foodie person I can't imagine going to Orlando primarily as a culinary destination in the Southeast as opposed to like New Orleans or Charleston or even places like Durham or Nashville. No idea about Disney Anaheim, haven't been there since I was a kid.

Edit: super loving beaten

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dustoph posted:

It's bad that I would rather read JS posts in this thread than GGGC's isn't it?

One can make a strong case.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Please come to my quadruple-A, 69-diamond, 420-star restaurant for only the finest artisinal cartoon mouse-themed delicacies in beautiful Central Swampwaste, Florida.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Please come to my quadruple-A, 69-diamond, 420-star restaurant for only the finest artisinal cartoon mouse-themed delicacies in beautiful Central Swampwaste, Florida.
Yes but how many horses does it have?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

One can make a strong case.

I'd love to see One try. A person of moral fiber would not find this:

John Smith posted:

Market forces. There is a shortage of young eligible Black men, due to disproportionate imprisonment rates. This supply shortage pushes Black women to settle for much less (than comparable White women, at any rate).

There is minimal arbitrage across racial marriage markets, due to cultural hesitation at mixed marriages.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

to be on par with Self Posting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We have a Disney World thread in T&T if that helps.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe you should consider why people are saying that even those posts are better than yours.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Settle down, Bevis.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Just put him on ignore along with John "Alexandr" Smith already, if he's that keen to make an entry on the top 100.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

According to your probes, you love comparing things to pedophilia and the holocaust, so I'm surprised you're not more receptive to this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9gyq1r/feel_like_im_making_a_lot_of_money_but_hardly_any/ posted:

Situation: Family of 3 living in the greater Seattle area. Myself, my wife, our 4 month old son.

Monthly Income: around $5,000 after deductions between me and my wife. Deductions include taxes, health insurance, 3% into 401k each (both have 3% employer match) and $150/month each into HSA (that is to pay for medical bills from our first child who was just born in May)

Expenses, as detailed as I have recorded:

Mortgage: $1825 (Went up recently due to property tax increase, and value reassessment from the county. Double whammy. Originally was around $1650)

Daycare: $700

Tithing: $625

Groceries: $500 (includes all house supplies/diapers/etc. Not just food)

Utilities: $300 ($50 water, $50 electric, $50 gas, $85 Sewer, $15 trash, $50 internet) Water/electric/gas vary from month to month, but their rolling average is roughly $50 each.

Medical Bills: $300 (1500ish left)

Car loan: $240 ($10k left, car valued around $12k)

Gas: $200

Insurance: $190 (2 cars, 2 life insurance policies, insurance on my wife's wedding ring [family heirloom])

Student Loan: $130 ($7,000ish left from $30,000 starting)

Entertainment/Incidentals/Misc: $140 (Netflix, Random night out [with a babysitter], "Oh my last good pair of jeans just tore" etc)

No other debt besides mortgage, car loan, student loan, medical bills

Total Spend: $5150ish Obviously I'm using very clean numbers on the budgets that have variance to them, but these are all a general rolling average.

Obviously $5000 - $5150 = -$150, which is not good.

"spend less on tithing"
"no"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do they explain the tithing? It's literally non negotiable in some faiths. My Mormon pals set up direct deposit from their paycheck or they lose their entire network of friends and family!

FAUXTON posted:

Goddamn almost 2 grand mortgage on 60kish take home, that's straight up house dumb in addition to house poor.

Seattle :negative:

I'm genuinely amazed they bought something as cheap as they did, but you're a straight moron if you live in Seattle and don't rent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Inept posted:

According to your probes, you love comparing things to pedophilia and the holocaust, so I'm surprised you're not more receptive to this.

"spend less on tithing"
"no"

Goddamn almost 2 grand mortgage on 60kish take home, that's straight up house dumb in addition to house poor.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Inept posted:

"spend less on tithing"
"no"

They're actually tithing more than they're supposed to by about $125.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Cacafuego posted:

Disney world has many expensive, but good restaurants themed mainly for adults. However, they also have many expensive, but bad restaurants themed mainly for kids - many of which are buffets with garbage food where your kids get to “meet the characters”.

In the vein of how much people will spend on Disney in a lifetime, it used to be that if you wanted to eat at a good Disney restaurant for dinner on short notice, you could usually call them that day or week and book it. Then they changed the system to allow people staying at the Disney hotels to book reservations far in advance of their trip, so they can sit there with their kids and fantasize over their dream vacation to forget their awful lives. Pretty much all of them are now booked solid 6 full months out to the day. People will book multiple restaurants on the same days to try and get the dates that they want. Disney then had to institute $10 per cancellation fees because the Joneses would book 4 of their choice restaurants at the same time, hoping to get the 5th one that wasn’t available for that time on that day.

Disney freaks are definitely BWM and likely BWL. When I worked there in 1999, I went to a class, in which the staff had us discuss the average $ spent on a vacation. At that time, the average was $5000 for a family of 4 staying at the resort, if you include the cost of a weeks worth of Disney hotel, airfare, rental car, food, tickets and souvenirs. I imagine it’s increased a lot in 20 years. Thankfully, I got a real job now that pays extremely well, because working for Disney is also BWM and likely also BWL. They did just pass a $15 minimum wage by 2021 IIRC though, so :toot:

A family vacation there at one of the ‘cheaper’ park resorts earlier this year ran about $3800 for ~6 days there for myself, my wife, and our 1 year old, including airfare and the full meal plan.

Tips on all ‘table service’ meals are separate and because all of the prices are super inflated your tip is about the cost of a decent meal at a regular-rear end restaurant.

It’s me, BWM for having a wife that likes Disney.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do they explain the tithing? It's literally non negotiable in some faiths. My Mormon pals set up direct deposit from their paycheck or they lose their entire network of friends and family!

nah, just dumb/stubborn

quote:

Yeah, I had a feeling I might get grilled on the tithing amount. If we were in the red consistently, then we might talk about reducing it until we could get our budgeting figured out better, but being that we're break-even, I'm not interested in stopping that to pursue other goals.

If people want to call me foolish for that priority, I'm ok with it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SpaceViking posted:

They're actually tithing more than they're supposed to by about $125.

Tithe based on gross income or you're a bad Christian

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also 10% is just a MINIMUM, my childhood church was very clear on that

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Inept posted:

nah, just dumb/stubborn

Lol that being required to pay money to “belong” to a religion is a thing that people do instead of just believing in their god of choice and in general being good to their fellow humans

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd heard of Mod Sass but never like this!!!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BMan posted:

Tithe based on gross income or you're a bad Christian

"You don't pay your taxes, why should Jesus?"

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cacafuego posted:

Lol that being required to pay money to “belong” to a religion is a thing that people do instead of just believing in their god of choice and in general being good to their fellow humans

At least a good chunk of faiths use is to take care of their own. Doesn't apply to mega churches but Mormons can feel pretty good about their tithe when it goes directly back to their peers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At least a good chunk of faiths use is to take care of their own. Doesn't apply to mega churches but Mormons can feel pretty good about their tithe when it goes directly back to their peers.

They're going to be one of those "peers" soon if they keep this poo poo up. Dude has a family, a mortgage and a 1.5 month emergency fund while now being $150/mo in the red, no college savings (still paying for their own) and under-contributing to their retirement.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Motronic posted:

They're going to be one of those "peers" soon if they keep this poo poo up. Dude has a family, a mortgage and a 1.5 month emergency fund while now being $150/mo in the red, no college savings (still paying for their own) and under-contributing to their retirement.

No worries, I'm sure God will bless them any minute now

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've had the fanciest meal of my life at a 3-star (I think?) restaurant in Epcot in Florida called the California Grill. My dad was there for a work sales conference and I tagged along cuz I hadn't been to a p Disney park in like 15 years. His regional VP / mentor from decades back invited a couple families to this private room, and we had appetizers and drinks and palette cleansers in between 3 or 4 courses. poo poo, you didn't have to choose between the steak, salmon, or chicken because the entree course actually included all 3 served in succession.

While that was a special case of high quality dining, it's available to everyone if you want to drop a chunk of change. Lots of fancy restaurants all over in addition to typical overpriced fair food like at Six Flags. There's fancy lodging too. That said...

Guinness posted:

I totally believe that statistic. I have some acquaintances through work & family that are full-grown adults that go to Disneyland/world at least twice a year, and they don't live anywhere near the parks so they fly+hotel it every time.

I know multiple couples like this, some with kids some without. Disneyland is their vacation, they don't really travel otherwise. I imagine that the cost is pretty bonkers.

I don't get it.

I seriously don't get it either. So many adults who you might think are so normally well adjusted go bananas for vacationing to Disney, maybe running half and full marathons there, eating Dole Whip (who the gently caress cares?), and just experiencing all that :allears: Magic :swoon: ... every loving year or two.

And then there are the Disney vacation planners (like a mustered distributed sales force of non-employee salespeople) you can call to help you arrange trips. Plus timeshares and super expensive houses and hotels around the park and Celebration, FL. A couple coworkers or their spouses in my large company have declared they're planners and offered their services. I can't remember what they earn out of it... maybe discounts on their own trips?

I want to be understanding and let people line their lives, but I simultaneously also find it EXTREMELY hard not to judge.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Dole Whip (who the gently caress cares?)

People still go bugshit over that? My grocery store carries it in their soft serve machine and I'm in Alabama. Like three bucks for a huge container of the stuff. Can't imagine paying $25 or whatever they charge you for a cup at Disney.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
There's a megathread in Tourism and Travel called Walt Disney World for First-Timers if anyone's curious to see what goons are paying, all the intricacies of disney madness etc.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

kazmeyer posted:

People still go bugshit over that? My grocery store carries it in their soft serve machine and I'm in Alabama. Like three bucks for a huge container of the stuff. Can't imagine paying $25 or whatever they charge you for a cup at Disney.

Counterpoint: Pineapple Dole Whip is loving delicious.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
On the other hand, it's a pretty magical thing to see your kid light up on vacation and Disney has a pretty effective formula to punch those specific buttons, so if you can afford a trip every once in a while, why not?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
There's nothing so BWM that someone won't defend it as being GWM.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
No no, not good with money, just one of those luxuries that is might be worth it if you're comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Does Disney offer financing to visit the parks?