Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

seaborgium posted:

I believe one of the Forsaken says it's also partly because it's the Last Battle, so the Dark One is going to pull out all the stops. They didn't get as much as Moridin but more than they would have before.

I know that the Forsaken at Natrim's Burrow had some as well because she could do the possessing a bird thing, but it was very limited because they weren't Nae'blis.

I just wanted to add that listening to the audiobooks as a first time wheel of time experience, hearing the narrators say Nae'blis sounded a lot like Nameless said with a cold and I was very confused for a while. Each time pretty sure I wasnt hearing it right but not really knowing for a while.

Also had the Domani/damane experience for a while until they emphasised each more. Though that I at least realised from context and didn't take 11 books to realise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Folks have been analyzing the frames from that teaser they dropped at SDCC and it looks like Min might become a Doomseer much earlier than in the books.

Rand gets a red and gold coat? People think this shot is on the way to Barthanes manor.

Aviendha is injured, probably happens when she's battling the white cloak with the axe. There's a cage in that same scene so most likely she will be freed from that cage by Perrin which lines up with the audition scripts that were discovered. RIP Gaul.

This is most likely Bain and Chiad with Aviendha.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

Aviendha is injured, probably happens when she's battling the white cloak with the axe. There's a cage in that same scene so most likely she will be freed from that cage by Perrin which lines up with the audition scripts that were discovered. RIP Gaul.

It's not like Gaul is ever of major import to Perrin, or the story in general so it's not exactly shocking that his role has been combined with others, or cut completely. He mostly gave Perrin a friend to bounce off of at various places in the story. That said, I cannot see Aviendha accompanying him to Emond's Field instead of going to the Waste, but I wonder if Perrin rescues Aviendha does that mean Bain or Chiad will be closer to and friendlier with him throughout, rather than just being Faile's friends? Bain or Chiad could take Gaul's role in a lot of places in that case, especially if they ever get to the end of the story and Perrin goes hunting Slayer in Tel'aran'rhiad.

Hexel posted:

it looks like Min might become a Doomseer much earlier than in the books.

This seems like a major change on the other hand, and it's hard to see how that could be done without hugely affecting not just her relationship with Rand; but his relationship with the Seanchan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

It's not like Gaul is ever of major import to Perrin, or the story in general so it's not exactly shocking that his role has been combined with others, or cut completely. He mostly gave Perrin a friend to bounce off of at various places in the story. That said, I cannot see Aviendha accompanying him to Emond's Field instead of going to the Waste, but I wonder if Perrin rescues Aviendha does that mean Bain or Chiad will be closer to and friendlier with him throughout, rather than just being Faile's friends? Bain or Chiad could take Gaul's role in a lot of places in that case, especially if they ever get to the end of the story and Perrin goes hunting Slayer in Tel'aran'rhiad.

This seems like a major change, on the other hand and it's hard to see how that could be done with hugely affecting not just her relationship with Rand; but his relationship with the Seanchan.

It wouldn't be that huge a change depending on how they do it I think if they just also capture her with Egwene instead of just sort of letting her be Egwene's friend who is allowed to visit her.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sure she's not gonna stay with the seanchan, the only reason they keep her around in Falme is to keep Egwene docile.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

I'm sure she's not gonna stay with the seanchan, the only reason they keep her around in Falme is to keep Egwene docile.

Tuon would probably have let someone chop off her arm before she gave up Min as a doomseer given how much she believed in signs and portents, and while she may have been an extreme case within Seanchan society, the position of doomseer in general is an honored one. I can see Min escaping, Rand rescuing her before she protects him or something now that you mention it, but there's no reason anyone in power would just let her go or anything and Suroth will probably bemoan the loss of her even though it's probably Turak who she's retained to in Falme if that is the case.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe they're gonna bring in Tuon earlier too :shrug:

Another interesting shot is this hulking figure here. People think this might be an Ogier Gardener.

Clearly this is the Battle of Falme. It's foggy as gently caress, the Horn has been blown, we know the heroes are coming from the Birgitte pics and the shot of Amaresu's wardrobe. I wonder what other heroes will show up?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tsob posted:

This seems like a major change on the other hand, and it's hard to see how that could be done without hugely affecting not just her relationship with Rand; but his relationship with the Seanchan.

If she just goes through a quick arc of "Hey, you're a Doomseer now, tell us some omens!" enforced employment, then escapes with the others because she'd rather not be part of the invading slave empire, I don't know that it affects all that much.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

If you picked up and enjoyed the Rosamund version of EOTW theres this.

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1551640660981211136?s=21&t=6JE1ygn1ZiY40_d8Pw-ZIQ

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bought but haven't gotten to it yet, but I plan to as soon as I finish my current relisten, and welp guess I'll buy those two too.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

There's a cage in that same scene so most likely she will be freed from that cage by Perrin which lines up with the audition scripts that were discovered. RIP Gaul.

Why are we RIPing Gaul?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rocketrobot posted:

Why are we RIPing Gaul?

Because Perrin rescues Aviendha from a cage and not him. Perhaps he'll show up somewhere else, who knows :shrug:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of which: we haven't seen a male aiel yet except for dead ones :laugh:

Looking forward to the faithful adaptation of TSR and the Rhuarc casting.

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1550293845090308098?s=20&t=fqoc8_Zd1N25U7kzjQrbJA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is probably a dumb question to ask since i've probably missed it being mentioned, but is there a date for season 2's premiere yet

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

this is probably a dumb question to ask since i've probably missed it being mentioned, but is there a date for season 2's premiere yet

There is not.

Most folks believe 2022 is the Rings of Power year for Amazon and do not expect the Wheel of Time S2 until Q1 or Q2 2023.

There are new episodes of the animated shorts being released on their own in August.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

makes sense, early next year sounds reasonable

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Noooooo :(

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

If LOTROP starts Sept. 2 and is 8-10 episodes, I can’t remember what it will be, it’ll still be over by November because I believe they’re dropping the first 2 episodes, which are like 3 hours long, then doing a weekly episodic release.

I suppose the only reason not to drop WoT S2 on November 19th of this year is to preserve max LOTROP hype and not promote WoT at the same time. :shrug:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

If LOTROP starts Sept. 2 and is 8-10 episodes, I can’t remember what it will be, it’ll still be over by November because I believe they’re dropping the first 2 episodes, which are like 3 hours long, then doing a weekly episodic release.

I suppose the only reason not to drop WoT S2 on November 19th of this year is to preserve max LOTROP hype and not promote WoT at the same time. :shrug:

It's a good promo period for WoT after LotR airs. "If you need more fantasy adventure, stay turned for season 2 of WoT!" Etc

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Probably 3 trailers spaced out by a month each, advertising and some promo events, interviews and poo poo then a premiere. I’m gonna go ahead and guess March 2023.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 26, 2022

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Spring break WoT 2023

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the holiday airing for season 1 was basically perfect so i almost have to wonder if they'd even try to do that again. i doubt it, but, hey. i guess we'll just have to see what they have in mind.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hexel posted:

Because Perrin rescues Aviendha from a cage and not him. Perhaps he'll show up somewhere else, who knows :shrug:

I'm still hoping for Gaul, he was fun as hell. That released audition script could still be off or there were changes made. Like someone said, Aviendha following Perrin around wouldn't work that well.

The picture of Aviendha with wounds still works, Nynaeve and them ran into some wounded Maidens and healed them so they could just change who's wounded.

And Min's hair I figure is just her hair cut, it's getting to be more common in fashion to have one of those undercuts. If they're going by that one zoomed in shot from the trailer, it doesn't look at all like the outfit she was forced to wear. Her outfit was almost as bad as Mat's in terms of giant shoulders and poo poo and it doesn't have that at all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Gaul erasure is the typical cowardly poo poo I would expect from Rafe "No Fun Allowed" Judkins.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

No official news this WoT Wednesday however, the fine folks over at wotseries are able to move Jay Duffy from the speculation category to confirmed thanks to a CV update.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/07/27/jay-duffy-confirmed-for-the-wheel-of-time-season-2/

Most people believe he will be playing Gawyn and I do too.

https://twitter.com/AranTalk/status/1551602008079187969?s=20&t=mMWPNy4WYN0_doWWMowsFQ

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This half hour long super nerd analysis and deep dive of that SDCC teaser is really good :sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c3QyrBbHL8

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God who has the time to do those

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

God who has the time to do those

People who sit at a computer all day for work :tipshat:

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Doing a re-read of the last three books, and I forgot how loving good Knife of Dreams is. It makes me really feel bad for anyone whose only exposure to the series is that dumb show. "The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just lol if you don't think show nyneave isn't going to deliver that line and crush it.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Yes, the show has shown so much patience developing that relationship that I'm sure it will have just as much gravitas and weight behind it in episode 7 of season 3. :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Paddyo posted:

Doing a re-read of the last three books, and I forgot how loving good Knife of Dreams is. It makes me really feel bad for anyone whose only exposure to the series is that dumb show. "The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?”

Oh, it's one of the greatest moments in the series. I have confidence that the show will deliver. (Assuming it doesn't get canceled before then.)

Paddyo posted:

Yes, the show has shown so much patience developing that relationship that I'm sure it will have just as much gravitas and weight behind it in episode 7 of season 3. :allears:

This is funny, because I actually love the Nynaeve/Lan relationship in the show. Didn't know that wasn't the popular opinion.

I actually think it came on a touch more gradually than it did in Eye of the World, where I remember it just kind of happening out of nowhere.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 27, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I actually think it came on a touch more gradually than it did in Eye of the World, where I remember it just kind of happening out of nowhere.

Pretty much. People conflate loving for deep emotional connections all the time. Both in real life and in media.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This is funny, because I actually love the Nynaeve/Lan relationship in the show. Didn't know that wasn't the popular opinion.
Probably just my opinion, so it's all good. But that line hits me so hard because it's the payoff to so much that has been flushed out over however many 1000 pages. Nynaeve's growth as a person, her relationship with Lan, Lan's journey, and the destiny of his people. Going by what I saw of the show I have zero faith that the producers have the discipline, patience, or writing chops for it to carry water.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

With regards to character development

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1550300275172290560?s=21&t=y9U7ArFiOP5KUn76SZ5Esg

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I read somewhere that the Gitara prologue got cut in favor of the horse chase because analytics show that viewers will tune out of a show if there is not an action sequence within the first 90 seconds.

Maybe we’ll get the deleted scene someday

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1546650638423138306?s=20&t=bpCxoIzBIs2cV-70uBEgKA

Hexel fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 28, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

Nynaeve and Lan show an attraction to each other from almost the off. Not in Emond's Field itself, but once she joins them as they're fleeing the Two Rivers they start having little interactions that imply attraction. As in, from the first scene where she catches up to them the book implies a very, very explicit attraction. Moiraine asks how Nynaeve found them, and Nynaeve says that Baerlon was the only place they could go but that just to be safe she followed their trail and after a little surprise, Lan compliments her on managing to do so even when he was trying to hide it. After which Rand notes that Nynaeve has buried her face in her cup, and is shocked to realize that Nynaeve is blushing. It does jump a bit near book's end though, in that Rand is lying nearby and unable to sleep when Nynaeve basically tells Lan she loves him and he tells her he can't return that love, even if he feels it. After which, their relationship is kept on hold till book 7 or 8 when Lan rescues Nynaeve in Ebou Dar. It's obvious how both feel for each other whenever the subject comes up (and it comes up regularly), but nothing changes for 6 or 7 books.

One thing I notice a lot in people's opinions of the books is that the romances come out of nowhere, and people are suddenly declaring love for each other despite never having had romantic interactions before and in pretty much every case I can think of that complaint being made (Lan/Nynaeve, Rand/Elayne, Egwene/Gawyn etc) the declarations of love are made after several books worth of flirtations. The characters never actually go out with each other as such, but almost every interaction prior has some flirtatious moments or at least moments of one or both commenting on how attractive they find the other in some fashion. As well as often scenes of them talking to others about their feelings prior to that point too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 28, 2022

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
That's the big advantage of the POV format - even though nothing is happening the reader still sees how much those relationships and their various complications mean to the characters. I think the biggest criticism that I would have is that many of the romantic relationships just feel like obsessions that for one reason or another become realized. The ones that work though - Rand/Avienda, Rand/Min, and I guess I would say Nyneve and Lan - seem earned and are really powerful. Mat and Tuan is just plain fun.

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 28, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also there's that whole thing in the arches in Book Two where Nynaeve's greatest temptation is getting to be Lan's queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only romantic pairing I feel maybe comes out of nowhere is Thom and Moiraine, and even then it's less that there's no foreshadowing and more that all the foreshadowing is very...distant is maybe how I'd describe it. The most obvious foreshadowing is Thom holding onto and constantly looking at Moiraine's letter throughout all his time in Ebou Dar for several books, but that also comes close to the "obsessiveness" that Paddyo spoke of, because the two characters aren't interacting and we don't even really get any POV from Thom that delves into his attraction.

There is other stuff, like Moiraine telling a group of several women (I think 3 of Aviendha, Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are in the room preparing for their trips) that she likely knows the face of her husband better than any of them do and I'm pretty sure it's implied Thom views and treats Moiraine differently than other Aes Sedai while she's around during the first few books, for instance. The two barely interact between book one and when they declare their love for each other in book thirteen though, and they don't even get many POVs where the other comes up that I recall; even then, Thom splits off from Moiraine at Shadar Logoth in book one, and is "killed" in Whitebridge before disappearing for a while, so there's really only the flight out of the Two Rivers where they're even around each other much outside a few chapters in the Stone of Tear at the start of The Shadow Rising, before they marry.

I get the feeling that it's probably one of those things that Jordan had somewhat different plans for, if only in when it'd happen and maybe how it'd be written exactly, but that Sanderson did his best with given the notes and never quite clicked because Sanderson only had the notes, and they may not even have been all that in depth on such a minor character romance. The Moiraine/Siuan pairing in the show has more meat already, though if they follow through on it then it precludes the Siuan/Gareth pairing; which isn't terribly important anyway either, and that pairing could probably be re-written to be platonic without too much effort. The biggest hurdle there is that it was obvious Bryne followed Siuan and co because of an attraction to her, even if he couldn't bring himself to admit it; so you'd perhaps emphasize his adherence to rules and oaths more so that his surface reason rings true, or just emphasize how bored he is and that he's just looking for an excuse to leave or something. You could also have him spot Logain, and want to follow specifically to catch Logain, and not Siuan.

The biggest thing that their relationship requires really is a reason for them to go into Tar Valon together, and to save each other there so it's not even out of the question for her to bond Byrne platonically (if that word can be applied to the warder bond), but then again, the show is almost certainly going to change Moiraine's "death" anyway, in order to keep Rosamund Pike around after season 3 or 4 or whatever before they get to that scene. Which I'm not sure I'm really in favor of, because her disappearing from the plot was kind of necessary for Rand to become both more independent and more unhinged as he tries to navigate the world on his own and with fewer and fewer people he feels he can trust. Her death is one of the primary drivers of his guilt too. Still, there's probably some way to satisfy both her need to leave Rand's side in a manner that creates guilt in him and to keep her within the plot. Her arriving in Salidar for some reason is probably the best option, but I'm not sure what could drive her to leave Rand and go to Salidar really, becasue determination to help guide the Dragon Reborn is so much a part of her character.

The only thing that might do it in an overt fashion is a viewing of some kind, probably in the 3 Rings inside Rhuidean, that she has to leave him then to avert disaster, but that feels very convenient, even for a show where predestination is so large a part. Action without any actual reason beyond "because the script said so". So I'd hope they give her more reason than that at the very least. Not even a desire to help heal the Tower or something would really make sense given her devotion to the cause of helping the Dragon. We'll see, I guess. I think I just want the show to have the balls to write her out for several seasons though, since she's the show's biggest star and her absence in the cast might drive the actors to improve as much as it drives Rand to improve within the story.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 28, 2022