Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

VideoGames posted:

And you can play many PS3 games with a wired DualSense too!

Hmm, by many what do you mean. Like is there a compatibility list somewhere?

I'll be getting a PS5 at some point so if the controller works on the PS3 just now i might as well just buy that rather than another dualshock4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kin posted:

I'll be getting a PS5 at some point so if the controller works on the PS3 just now i might as well just buy that rather than another dualshock4.

The main one I can think of is the MGS HD collection since MGS 2/3 use the DS3's pressure sensitivity

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kin posted:

There are some legit good 3rd party PS3 controllers on Amazon. Some of them are even better than the DS3 and will have full compatibility.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kin posted:

I think there are a few that do not fully work, but none that I own have failed.

Also Esco has given me my build tips for the DS3 adventure and I am raring to go! :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

And wireless DS4! I beat Demon's Souls twice with a DS4 (I don't like the DS3 at all).

How do you use the DS4 wirelessly with a PS3!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do you use the DS4 wirelessly with a PS3!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-02-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-wirelessly-with-a-ps3

quote:

Here's how to get set up:

After downloading the PS3 update, you need to register your DualShock 4 as a Bluetooth device, which requires you hold down the PS and Share buttons once you've disconnected it from USB.

After doing that, you'll be able to use the DualShock 4 wirelessly, but it acts as a generic controller, so there are some features that do not work, such as rumble and Sixasis Motion.

And it doesn't work with certain games, too, such as Gran Turismo 6 (there's an in-development compatibility list over on PlayStation Trophies which is worth a look). But Dark Souls 2, for example, works fine.

Here are the steps:

1. Plug in DS4 controller via USB
2. Go to Accessory Settings and Manage Bluetooth Devices
3. Scan for Bluetooth Device
4. Unplug DS4, press Share and PS Buttons
5. Once device is found, plug DS4 back in and select Wireless Controller
6. Congratulations! You now have a rumble-free DS4 working with your PS3!

:haw:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It also doesn't read R2L2 as analog, which makes a lot of games unplayable.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Waltzing Along posted:

What are you talking about? SSI is the final boss. On my other save, every boss including headless and terror guys are dead. The only thing left to do is kill SSI and choose 1 of the 3 endings. The bad end is siding with Owl halfway through the game.

E: got drunk down. Now it's LB and horseman. Pretty good for 3 hours on my first day playing again. :)

Oh sorry! I have not met Isshin myself yet and I was under the incorrect idea that SSI was the hallway version of him. Good luck! It’s such a fantastic game.

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1379015554304860161?s=21

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
VG is gonna beat sekiro in 12 hours at this rate.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
VG dying to the first boss in DS3 after steamrolling the first two games would be the funniest thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

VG dying to the first boss in DS3 after steamrolling the first two games would be the funniest thing.

If he remembers to heal, maybe not! :q:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahaha I have no idea what to expect for the first boss! I beat the Taurus demon on my first actual attempt (second time facing him but the arrow guys killed me before I even reached him).

DS2 the old Giant definitely killed me the first time...because I forgot to heal....

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
First boss in DS3 is not what, or where, you're expecting him to be in the game, and if you don't die at least a couple times I'll be impressed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

DS3 is absurdly beautiful. I didn’t think the bosses were very hard and they all die pretty quickly if you just take some time to grind a bunch of levels and become overleveled. I think I was always 5-10 levels ahead of an area, and kept my weapons upgraded. And most every add would die in 1-3 swings and bosses died in a few tries at most. Still was very challenging and a great time. The final boss was extremely hard for me though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Walrus posted:

First boss in DS3 is not what, or where, you're expecting him to be in the game, and if you don't die at least a couple times I'll be impressed.
We had very different experiences.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

DS3 is absurdly beautiful. I didn’t think the bosses were very hard and they all die pretty quickly if you just take some time to grind a bunch of levels and become overleveled.

storm king :negative:

that loving dragon in the 2nd DLC :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

DS3 is absurdly beautiful. I didn’t think the bosses were very hard and they all die pretty quickly if you just take some time to grind a bunch of levels and become overleveled.

That could apply to almost any game with leveling though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At the very least I hope it is not a Royal Rat Authority situation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

I think there are a few that do not fully work, but none that I own have failed.

Also Esco has given me my build tips for the DS3 adventure and I am raring to go! :D

Pyromancy!

I hope you're not greatclubbing the whole way again, I'd hate to see such a fast game played like a plodder. :mad:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Veeg has been banned from the club

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I still havent finished DS3. I got fed up with the Nameless King and went into the dlc but hadn't gotten to any bosses yet. Only have two story bosses left tho, might try to do those at least once Veeg gets close

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DS3 should be played like bloodborne. low VIT, high END, pyro in my left hand, greatsword in my right here i am stuck in the middle with you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pyromancy!

I hope you're not greatclubbing the whole way again, I'd hate to see such a fast game played like a plodder. :mad:

Good news!!

He has chosen a mercernary build, twinblades Bloodborne speed esque build! :D

I am also making the decision not to club again. I loved it in DS1, and had a lot of fun powerstancing in DS2 but it is time to focus on dex build speed!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I still havent finished DS3. I got fed up with the Nameless King and went into the dlc but hadn't gotten to any bosses yet. Only have two story bosses left tho, might try to do those at least once Veeg gets close

Yeah, that's a good idea, feed off the veeg vibes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wholly recommend doing a dex build and starting with the twinblades after doing that my last run. There's a gamut of weapon types that are great with sharp infusion so you can mess around with different builds pretty easily with no commitment and dual swords is a fun mainstay. I still always kept a shield on my back for archers and enemies I just wanted to kill stamina on though.

The first boss in DS3 can serve as a tiny skill check but you'll likely get him in 2 or 3 tries if you've played previous games. Then after that there's uh, a lot of easy bosses but most of them are really fun. for 2/3rds of the game the bosses are pretty drat easy with a lot of gimmicky ones. Then in the last 3rd and DLC they can get pretty tough. I'd say there are 5 total that are legit hard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I still haven't beat DS3 on PS4 (multiple on PC tho) and I only have DLC2 to do (first boss down) before the final boss so I might tag along with Veeg again! or maybe ask BP to co-op a bit since I really don't like DLC2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All of this: Bloodborne, DS1, DS2 and DS3 is so I actually can start and finish Sekiro in 12 hours, by the way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here’s what I sent to Veeg:

quote:

ESCO’S COOL GUIDE TO VG AT THE BEGINNING OF DARK SOULS 3

Hello Veeg how is it going!!!!! There were just a couple things I wanted to write out beforehand 1. so we don’t have to deal with the lag in the chat and everything while you’re making your character and 2. so you have this to hand for the future!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Dark Souls 3! My goal with this build is to get you playing like a hunter again - dodging like a pro and dealing out huge damage. Luckily, this can be accomplished pretty simply.

First of all, when starting, you want to pick the MERCENARY class. This gives you the Sellsword Twinblades as your starting weapon, and you can quite easily use this weapon throughout the ENTIRE game. The R1/R2 attacks only use one blade, so while that’s good for just getting one quick little slash in at the end to finish an enemy off, you will mostly be using the L1/L2 attacks.

Eventually, you want to infuse the Twinblades with Sharp (I can’t remember if it’s best to do it when you first unlock sharp infusions, or later on, but someone in the chat will know!) because when you do it has the most insane DPS, like maybe the most of any weapon in the game, despite it being a Dex weapon! Generally people say Strength builds aren’t as good in DS3 as they are in 1/2, and this is a good example of why.

I think a couple of other goons were talking about getting you to dual-wield the two katana-esque weapons you find in the game. This is also valid and worth checking out, but you don’t get them both until later on.

Now, here’s what you want to be putting your levels into. Most of these are pretty obvious and similar to how you’ve been doing it anyway, but it’s still worth covering:

DEXTERITY - Of course! Cause more damage when you smack things. I topped this out at around 50.

ENDURANCE - For real Bloodborne vibes. With this high enough, you can do a ton per full stamina bar - roll in and get like 4-5 hits in before you have to roll away again. Remind you of anything?????? It’s extremely good. You wanna get this to around 35-40.

VIGOR - More health, not die, take more hits, the usual. Mine is at 55 because I am an insane tank man.

VITALITY - Same as ever, wear heavier armour while still being able to move and roll properly. Again, get this to around 35-40 and you can rock some of the heavier armours while still running around the joint like a crazed hollow murderer.

And it’s mainly those four really!!!!! You can also put some into Luck if you want, but that mainly increases item discovery, so it’s not hugely useful.

Now just a couple of extra tips about the beginning.

- Obv we talk a lot about DS3 being faster and more like Bloodborne and while that is 100% accurate, it’s still first and foremost a Dark Souls game, and you don’t want to be playing it exactly like BB. It’s still the same style with dodging and such, but it’s still more DS in its……rhythm? Cadence? Something like that.

- When you get to the hub for the first time, you need to go to the blacksmith and allocate Estus flasks. See, DS3 has your regular Estus but it also has the Ashen Estus Flask, which replenishes magic points. You have a set number to put into either of these flasks. Seeing how you don’t plan on using magic, you don’t need any of the Ashen ones, so you can put them all into regular Estus.

- Finally…..maybe this one is just personal to me, but I found DS3 to have by FAR the hardest opening sections of any SoulsBorne game. I would struggle for absolutely ages in between each bonfire. So my advice is to not worry too much if this happens to you. You’re not doing anything wrong, From just decided that seeing how this was the end of the series they would go all out.

That’s it!!!! This is so many more words than I expected wow. Cya on the stream later

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DS3 should be played like bloodborne: not at all :getin:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

storm king :negative:

that loving dragon in the 2nd DLC :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative:

Oh poo poo. Oh god. Yeah storm king. That took me a day and a half to learn? So intimidating but what a rad loving fight tbh. Completely epic at every turn. I felt like I could take on anything after beating him but then I got to soul of cinder and ate poo poo and dirt for days. Would definitely play DS3 again if it ever came out remastered. Definitely. Incredible achievement of game design in that one, from level design to player agency to enemy design and animation, and the lore and story keeps you hooked the whole way through.

VG I hope you love it! I am going to put twitch on my tv so I can watch every so often.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I still haven't beat DS3 on PS4 (multiple on PC tho) and I only have DLC2 to do (first boss down) before the final boss so I might tag along with Veeg again! or maybe ask BP to co-op a bit since I really don't like DLC2.

I need to make a little progress in DLC 1&2 (never bothered in ng+4), but yeah I can co-op any part of the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm more of a glass-cannon strength build fellow myself, i just like to 1H large swords while dashing around, but that's all good advice esco

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If I look at 1 and 2 the following are

Main bosses I did first try in DS1 and those I found easy:

Taurus, Pinwheel, Centipede Demon, Gwyndolin, Sanctuary Guardian and Nito.
Then Seath, Bed of Chaos, Four Kings and Gaping Dragon.

Those I found really difficult:

Artorias, Manus, Demon Firesage, Chaos Witch Queelag.

In DS2, those I did first try and then those I found easy:

Skeleton Lords, Covetous Demon, Guardian Dragon, Bellfry Gargoyles Dragonrider, Prowling Magus, Throne Watcher and Defender, Burnt Ivory King.

Then flexile sentry, last giant, giant lord, royal rat vanguard, mytha baneful, old iron king and nashandra.

Those I found really difficult:

Aava, Royal Rat Authority, Darklurker, Sinh the Slumbering, Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, The Pursuer and the Smelter Demon.

So take all those and if you apply it to DS3 you should be able to guage where and when I might fail or get held up. :)

(EDIT: I am most proud of beating Aava, Sir Alonne, RRA, Darklurker, Burnt Ivory King, Throne Watcher/Defender, Nashandra and Aldia the first scholar ALL in the same session. It was a gruelling but incredible end to my time with the game.)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I get why everyone uses the twin blades build but I did a quality build (40str/40dex/12mag/12faith) and used I think a black knight greatsword (I may be recalling the name wrong but it’s the good one) and had a wonderful time. There are some greatswords that swing slow, and UGS swing way too slow for me, but there are one or two greatswords that hit the sweet spot of amazing damage output and good swing speed. I’d get a bit more range out of the long blade too. And then there’s the stun ability of big swords. I don’t think the two blades really stun enemies as much as when they get walloped with a giant sword. They would just stop everything and stand there.

I’d also put in just enough magic/faith to buy the spell to get rid of toxic (and other) effects. Sadly, the game didn’t seem like demon souls where you could put 10-20 points in magic and upgrade a catalyst and not only use a sword as your primary dps but also totally effectively use fire balls or arc shots to do dps too. This game.. if you’re not super specced into magic it just does piddly damage.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I get why everyone uses the twin blades build but I did a quality build (40str/40dex/12mag/12faith) and used I think a black knight greatsword (I may be recalling the name wrong but it’s the good one) and has a wonderful time. There are some greatswords that swing slow, and UGS swing way too slow for me, but there are one or two greatswords that hit the sweet spot of amazing damage output and good swing speed. I’d get a bit more range out of the long blade too. And then there’s the stun ability of big swords. I don’t think the two blades really stun enemies as much as when they get walloped with a giant sword. They can just stop everything and stand there.

I’d also put in just enough magic/faith to buy the spell to get rid of toxic (and other) effects. Sadly, the game didn’t seem like demon souls where you could put 10-20 points in magic and upgrade a catalyst and not only use a sword as your primary fps but also totally effectively use fire balls or arc shots to do dps too. This game.. if you’re not super specced into magic it just does piddly damage.

Astera Greatsword(ultra?) is the sweetspot for me. Low, wide, sweeps, good jumping slams, and a great thrust attack for tight spots.

And yeah, magic is bunk in DS3, but pyromancy is well worth the investment.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 6, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My favourite weapons in DS3 are Butcher Knife, Greataxe, Spiked Mace, Cathedral Knight Greatsword, Executioner's Greatsword on the STR side and Carthus Curved Greatsword, Estoc and Sellsword Twinblades on the DEX side of things. I don't usually play quality builds and pyromancer has some great melee options and utility aswell.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think I might respec when i jump back into ds3 cuz i was using a heavy greatsword and it might just be a little too slow and that might be where I was having problems

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

thats mass effect 1 the first game. :eyepop:

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effec...sLocalized=true

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I think I might respec when i jump back into ds3 cuz i was using a heavy greatsword and it might just be a little too slow and that might be where I was having problems

I think greatsword is a hard option for Storm King, yeah, tho there aren't many easy options for that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
You can get the Pontiff’s Right Eye ring and play it like Bloodborne, it actually seems to work well if you use twin blades or other fast dex weapons https://youtu.be/840NUquYfXc