Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gosh darn it, I have work tomorrow so I can't get drunk tonight. Guess I'll just eat ice cream instead! :D

2018 is looking up~

Didnt stop me. But living in a weed state i smoked the gently caress out of some poo poo to reduce swelling and the possibility of a hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

zarron posted:

I have a cousin who is in Birmingham AL, right now. I let her know of your thanks. :)

CommissarMega posted:

Tell her people as far away as Southeast Asia want to thank her too :)

Same from Oz.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Edmund Lava posted:

Not really. This is the group which would have just gained political consciousness when the Berlin Wall fell. As someone in that gap I feel it’s significant.

Also probably because grouping people by arbitrary epochs doesn’t work too well.

It definitely shouldn’t be arbitrary but there’s something to be said for coming to age at a certain point in history and what you experience and how all of that shapes you.

I think it was the nytimes, but I’m not totally sure - there was a cool chart that shows how people’s political attitudes were shaped during their 20s and remains fairly sticky throughout their lives.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Fuuuuuck, I have work in the morning and all I want to do is party.

Doug Jones (D-AL)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DC Murderverse posted:

Everyone should celebrate by dropping some money on your favorite democratic candidate for the 2018 election. I donated to JD Scholten, who is Steve King's opponent in next year's house race, but if you want to donate to your local candidate you should do that too.

If you don't want to or it's a safe D race, you should pick someone who might get a big boost from today's results. Think Beto O'Rourke in Texas (up against Ted Cruz) or Randy "Iron Stache" Bryce in Wisconsin (up against Paul Ryan). Or just donate to JD Scholten because every time I remember that a literal white supremacist is regularly elected to the house of representatives it makes me gag.

This is a pro choice. Steve King is a wretched bastard who needs to be run out of first Congress, then the State of Iowa, then this very plane of being on a rail.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Can't complain smokin one for America's :350:

also tonight's casualty:

e: actually it's generation zed.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I think one thing that shouldn't be discounted is the greater amount of tolerance many young voters were socialized with, either at school or through popular entertainment. Many of these kids are probably taught to vote GOP by their parents, but as they get older they clearly see a huge disconnect between their personal beliefs and the political party of their parents.

Also, many young folks at the time of Dubya probably know a friend who got sent to Iraq/Afghanistan. Seeing friends die or come back barely the same person who left, you loving remember which party sent them.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

the talent deficit posted:

you think six year olds were politically concious?

Edmund Lava posted:

Not really, no. 8-9 is more reasonable. From my understanding 83 babies get lumped in because they’re more likely to have older siblings who were aware of what was going on.

Sounds about right to me. I was around that age when I found a book of cartoons titled, "The End," where each page was a single panel Far Side-ish cartoon that somehow involved a mushroom cloud. Dark humor too sharp for my tiny little mind, that book loving scarred me.

Google fails me at finding such a vague search to see it again but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please clue me in.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My memory of 2000 is seven-year-old me walking into my living room, seeing my parents watching election night coverage, and asking them who we wanted to win. They said Bush, so I said "okay, I hope Bush wins."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

poo poo, wrestling gifs? Now you're talking my language. You post any badass video game developers and I might swoon.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pakled posted:

Senator Doug Jones (D-AL)

No this is not it. Trump will pardon Moore from losing the election and declare him senator. The senate will just let it happen and when both Moore and Jones show up at the senate entrance the security staff will turn away Jones.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The problem is there's never been any real impetus for white women to say, "NO, husband, you need to vote with ME." Couples tend to vote the same ticket and if the husband has Limbaugh politics then its easier to just go along with it and not deal with the marital stress. I do wonder if that will hold true in 2018 though. Between the Women's March and #metoo and a few other things... White women might be a sleeping tiger that's finally been poked with enough sticks to wake up.

I know I have. I voted for Obama but I haven't done anything else political ever. (Well other than Net Neutrality stuff, which I did quite a bit for, alas.) Next year I am gonna volunteer my rear end off.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 13, 2017

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Phobic Nest posted:

Sounds about right to me. I was around that age when I found a book of cartoons titled, "The End," where each page was a single panel Far Side-ish cartoon that somehow involved a mushroom cloud. Dark humor too sharp for my tiny little mind, that book loving scarred me.

Google fails me at finding such a vague search to see it again but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please clue me in.

Is this it by any chance? I couldn;t find any of the inside pages, but the artist's style seems consistent

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

I just don’t get how it’s clear as loving day that white supremacy does not give an iota of poo poo towards the welfare of women outside of them being ambulatory wombs. Like it’s hard to take a voting block seriously when they continuously support the candidates that would rather see them behind a stove than an office desk. Even as a mixed race gal like, how do you not have that internal signal of “this person loving hates my existence, they can die in a ditch”?

Phyllis Schlafly spent her life trying to gain political power so that no woman could have political power. The only thing that stopped her was the Republican Party refused to give a woman political power.

I don't know what the moral of the story is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just getting home from a night of nutcracker-themed burlesque and overpriced Manhattans I super can't afford and oh thank gently caress.

I get to go to bed happy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

khy posted:

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/940707757220544513

Roy Moore's campaign spokesman, ladies and gentlemen. No matter how many times I watch it, it makes me laugh every. Single. Time.

Dude is just absolutely dumbfounded because he does not have the critical thinking skills necessary to distinguish any point on the spectrum between "must" from "must not." Either you MUST swear on the Bible, or you MAY NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE swear on the Bible and there is zero choice about it.

This is the logic that convinced so many of those folks in the articles that Jones will somehow mandate the abortion of all babies forever. Sad.

Not not sad tonight. The good guy won. I celebrated then finished practicing songs for our holiday party this week. A good night.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Well Democrats, you’re 1.5% more well liked than a child molester.

Your party and country remains a joke.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 13, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skellybones posted:

Phyllis Schlafly spent her life trying to gain political power so that no woman could have political power. The only thing that stopped her was the Republican Party refused to give a woman political power.

I don't know what the moral of the story is.

Follow along with her son as he tries to make "Conservapedia" a legitimate (or useful) resource for fundie homeschoolers ? And do a conservative translation of the Bible.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412241

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Well Democrats, your 1.5% more well liked than a child molester.

yeah heard

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Aramis posted:

Is this it by any chance? I couldn;t find any of the inside pages, but the artist's style seems consistent

Yep, that's it all right. Thanks and welp, guess I didn't imagine it. Yay...

edit: You're right, there don't seem to be any scans of the inside pages but I'm drat sure that's the cover.

edit2: poo poo, three bucks on Amazon, I may have to get this thing.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 13, 2017

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Skellybones posted:

Phyllis Schlafly

:stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Schlafly#Women's_issues

quote:

Schlafly told Time magazine in 1978, "I have cancelled speeches whenever my husband thought that I had been away from home too much."[33]

In March 2007, Schlafly said in a speech at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, "By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don't think you can call it rape."[34] In an interview on March 30, 2006, she attributed improvement in women's lives during the last decades of the 20th century to labor-saving devices such as the indoor clothes dryer and disposable diapers.[35]

She called Roe v. Wade "the worst decision in the history of the U.S. Supreme Court" and said that it "is responsible for the killing of millions of unborn babies".[36]

In 2007, while working to defeat a new version of the Equal Rights Amendment, she warned it would force courts to approve same-sex marriages and deny Social Security benefits for housewives and widows.[22]

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

And her son is the founder of conservapedia.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/895962020687880192

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Night10194 posted:

So what do you think hurt Moore more, the pedophilia or the literal 'You know what would be swell, having slavery again' talks?

Probably the pedo thing, some GOPers are actually as grossed out by that as they should be. "let's have slavery again" by contrast was a selling point.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://youtu.be/VVVTpqKoy4o

Edit lmao

https://youtu.be/bdqFEMYQi2A

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 13, 2017

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Like 95% of people who voted for Moore thought the sexual assault allegations were made up. We don’t have a problem with people being okay with creepy pedophiles, we have a problem with people’s inability to understand or accept reality when it runs contrary to their politics.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

im a millennial born in 93 and i liked bush in 2000 because i liked elephants and the GOP was represented by elephants

i became liberal in 2007 or so and then leftist in 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Stereotype posted:

Like 95% of people who voted for Moore thought the sexual assault allegations were made up.

That's very charitable of you - why do you think that?

I think a good portion of them straight up didn't care because it didn't happen to them or their loved ones

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
honestly this seems like the sort of thing that won't bother the Trumps and Bannons of the world too much. It's too easy to hand wave away this loss as being 100% due to Moore's terrible child abuse crimes. Surely not a reflection on them.

I hope the slimy bosses of the Republican party are starting to see the tide going out though, and maybe they'll even start to panic.

Also another disgusting creep named Dan Johnson needs to be ridden out of politics and straight into jail. Child Rape is back in the news, hanging over the head of a republican. Get them all out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tell me what country has education that failed to teach you the difference between percentages and percentage points.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dawg a dem won in Ala-loving-bama. That is one of the most right-wing states in the country. I sympathize with the spirit of your post, but come on my dude.

Also you need to learn how percentages work. Cause they don't work like that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

God Emperor Trump posted:

​The dems who abort their kids are gonna be really sorry when time travel is invented and those who were deprived siblings travel back and abort our own parents! The time ripples will be incredible

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Bullfrog posted:

im a millennial born in 93 and i liked bush in 2000 because i liked elephants and the GOP was represented by elephants

Born same year. My parents were critical of what a fuckup he was but during HS I had to talk my dad out of joining the Tea Party.

I am so close to stuff mattering again. Come on we just need a little to get there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress y'all early 90s kids make me feel old being born in 87.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

JawKnee posted:

That's very charitable of you - why do you think that?

I think a good portion of them straight up didn't care because it didn't happen to them or their loved ones

Because exit polls found that 95% of people who believed the allegations were false (43% of the electorate) voted for Roy Moore. Only 10% of people who thought they were true (53%) voted for him, which is really the demographic that you're mad about. So only 5.3% of Alabamans were a-okay with voting for someone they believed was a pedophile, which isn't really that many.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you were born in 1993 and were to have a marriage with as great an age difference as Donald and Melania’s, your future spouse would have been born this year.

Strange but true.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was born in 96 and thought Republicans were good because they had the most Presidents. From a young age my dad was ranting about how Reagan hosed up the economy and made it harder for people to get ahead. He voted for Kerry, Obama twice, and Clinton. Happy he didn't fall into the immigrant trap where once you find middle-class success you become more conservative. He's prime boomer age too, turned 55 this year (or I guess that's Gen X? it's all loving arbitrary)

very lucky that I'm not one of those hosed in the head first generation kids who have this idea of America as a great place for all immigrants. It's not, we need to work on it to make it a viable place for the generations following our own

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95f7VwXqIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Bullfrog posted:

same, but with george hw bush when i was in kindergarten.

• Locked thread