Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zero One posted:

I'm sure this will become BWM at some point: Horse Discrimination.

GWM: Charging Christians to take care of their pets after the Rapture

When I tried Googling it I found that some actual Christians had set up a real one after getting the idea from the original satirical site. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Aren't you supposed to make the sherpas bring cans of oxygen specifically so that doesn't happen though?

The oxygen mask doesn't give you 21% oxygen at sea level pressure though; it's an augmentation, not a replacement.

Seriously check out the Everest thread, it's like a yearly celebration of human sacrifice to the BWM Gods.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I'd rather be dead on Everest than alive in GBS :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hummus hubris was my favorite comment in the everest thread about militant vegan couple who didn't think they even needed sherpas.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nail Rat posted:

Hummus hubris was my favorite comment in the everest thread about militant vegan couple who didn't think they even needed sherpas.

Fixed the redundancy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

blugu64 posted:

They literally use a dump truck with a winch for cows. Think flatbed tow truck with dump truck bed.

Which they then take to landfills in a lot of states. It is loving magical when you drill through a horse, let me tell you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

To be fair there is no especially practical way to remove an injured or dead horse from a trail. I have to express great appreciation for the effort someone went through to post that sign, though

Depends on your definition of practical, but if its a trail far enough up in the backcountry, they use dynamite to get rid of the carcass. Apparently there is a pretty fine art to blowing up animals, too little you just turned one big mess into multiple smaller ones, and too much you blow up your trail but at least scattered the horse to the upper levels of the atmosphere.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

Depends on your definition of practical, but if its a trail far enough up in the backcountry, they use dynamite to get rid of the carcass. Apparently there is a pretty fine art to blowing up animals, too little you just turned one big mess into multiple smaller ones, and too much you blow up your trail but at least scattered the horse to the upper levels of the atmosphere.

The resulting pink mist made the sunset so beautiful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

The resulting pink mist made the sunset so beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vmnq5dBF7Y

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

CitizenKain posted:

I'll never regret paying :10bux: to join

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I know some air force guys who went on a work trip to Thailand for a couple weeks some years back. They said a local offered to let them blow up a cow with an RPG-7 for 500 USD.

Blowing up dead horses is probably a pretty niche industry, but having other people pay you to blow up their dumb livestock is pretty GWM is what I'm trying to get at.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Is anyone here familiar with Peak Prosperity? My wife has been introduced to the book Prosper! through some podcasts and is starting to get hooked in. It talks a lot about how we are at peak everything and the only way is down. On one hand it seems to focus on being financially healthy and being ready with emergency funds etc, but on the other hand the forward to their book is by the Rich Dad guy, and they seem to think that we all need to buy land and become farmers. I am thinking that going back to manual labor in my 40s would be BWM.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Guest2553 posted:

I know some air force guys who went on a work trip to Thailand for a couple weeks some years back. They said a local offered to let them blow up a cow with an RPG-7 for 500 USD.

Blowing up dead horses is probably a pretty niche industry, but having other people pay you to blow up their dumb livestock is pretty GWM is what I'm trying to get at.

While in Cambodia, my brother was told that for $100 USD a couple ex-Khmer Rouge dudes would take him into the jungle and let him shoot a cow with an RPG. He wisely declined the offer, which was GWM because our family never had to make any ransom payments.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Is anyone here familiar with Peak Prosperity? My wife has been introduced to the book Prosper! through some podcasts and is starting to get hooked in. It talks a lot about how we are at peak everything and the only way is down. On one hand it seems to focus on being financially healthy and being ready with emergency funds etc, but on the other hand the forward to their book is by the Rich Dad guy, and they seem to think that we all need to buy land and become farmers. I am thinking that going back to manual labor in my 40s would be BWM.

Bolding mine:

the Peak Prosperity site posted:

Mission: Building understanding so that effective solutions can be created and promoted.

Build understanding, encourage small actions, then align with solutions.

Many people have asked us, "Where are the large-scale solutions to all the problems you have described?" and "What should we do as a nation to avoid the seemingly inevitable consequences of this fiat money system?"

We believe that we must reach a critical mass of individuals and ensure that they have an understanding of the ideas presented in the Crash Course, before any national or global solutions will even be possible.

Because we are still quite far from this tipping point of understanding, we must first focus on educating. Many people have already reached a place of understanding and assumed responsibility for their futures, but most have not. Once we have achieved a critical mass of people who understand the issues and have taken responsible actions as a result, solutions will find more fertile ground in which to take root.

The theory of action: building understanding

Solutions should come from a position of understanding. Understanding arises from awareness, and awareness arises from the ashes of denial.

In other words, the stages of action are: denial >> awareness >> understanding >> solutions.

It is not enough for people to be aware that inflation exists, or that our monetary system has flaws, or that resources are depleting. If effective actions are to be formulated, then understanding is essential.
Looks like there's a heavy dose of "THE DOLLAR WILL COLLAPSE ANY DAY NOW, FIAT MONEY AND INFLATION ARE THE DEVIL, LEARN TO SURVIVE ON YOUR OWN AND HAVE A SURVIVAL BUNKER AND PROBABLY SOME GOLD"-brand crazy there. Unsurprisingly, the founder is not an economist.

That doesn't mean his stuff about financial health and emergency funds is bad, but I'd take the rest of it with a big grain of salt.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 31, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Haifisch posted:

That doesn't mean his stuff about financial health and emergency funds is bad, but I'd take the rest of it with a big grain of salt.

Yeah. I am thinking that everyone I knew that did Primerica came out of the first couple meetings talking about financial responsibility and budgets and etc, but that was the bait and the hook was not the education, but what they really were selling.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going back to AI chat briefly, I just got into a huge argument with my sister over the fact that her car mechanic told her to come back in 3 months to get her brake pads replaced, when she was in having her brake rotors replaced. Apparently "pads are cheap, they could have put the new ones in when reassembling everything" and "now you'll have to just pay more for extra labor" is totally crazy how dare I question the mechanic and we don't have the kind of money you do Sirotan!! Spending $20 to save $60 three months in the future is just to hard a concept to grasp I guess.

Then my mom chimes in about how her premium luxury car costs premium dollars to repair and how she just "doesn't get why".

This all came about while I was telling them I was gonna buy a jack, jack stands, and a creeper this week to do my brakes. My mom: "Couldn't you just take it in instead?"

Meanwhile, sister's boyfriend is off buying a used car. He calls after we're done arguing and says the dealership told him if he wanted it today he had to lock in his 9% ARP rate by signing right now otherwise it would go up tomorrow. Oh and he asks my sister if he should buy the warranty, on the 10yo minivan, at 9%.

ayyyyy

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 31, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
BWM: having more than one car. If neither person lives near work then it's time to move.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Bolding mine:

Looks like there's a heavy dose of "THE DOLLAR WILL COLLAPSE ANY DAY NOW, FIAT MONEY AND INFLATION ARE THE DEVIL, LEARN TO SURVIVE ON YOUR OWN AND HAVE A SURVIVAL BUNKER AND PROBABLY SOME GOLD"-brand crazy there. Unsurprisingly, the founder is not an economist.

OMG she just asked me what the current price of gold was and how we can buy it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cowofwar posted:

BWM: having more than one car. If neither person lives near work then it's time to move.

I own 3 cars one of which is an anagram of BWM and my wife walks to work. :ohdear:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

cowofwar posted:

My partner has a job that's not stationary. He can be posted downtown, in Boulder, at the airport, etc. He also does security and strongly believes in not living too close to where you patrol.

Living within walking distance of my work would require the purchase of an 500K house (a bit of a stretch on 85K combined income), or rental payments of 1400+ a month for a miniscule one bedroom, to live in a neighborhood I kind of hate (it's sterile, boring, pretentious, and populated by a mixture of Republicans with small children and insufferable tech and finance bros).

I hate my commute, but workplaces can change. I'd rather live somewhere I like that won't cost me an arm and a leg and keep driving fuel efficient cars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In all fairness that comment could be interpreted as suggestion to find a job closer to where you live.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
And both are very dumb comments without qualification. Cars are fixed expenses and people with good jobs can easily afford multiple and choose a good location to live.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Zo posted:

Cars are fixed expenses

Wait what :psyduck:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Fixed probably as the jump in cost from "no car" to "has a car" is bigger than "car driven rarely" to "car driven often"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

At least she's not asking about bitcoin. Yet.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
My car expenses feel fixed to me. I have an adequate repair budget that I rarely go over. Only cost I wouldn't consider fixed would be an engine or transmission failure which would hit the e-fund. Cross my fingers and always keep my three reliable cars well maintained.

That doesn't mean its good with money of course. Just a life style decision based on ones priorities and circumstances.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have a motorcycle, a V8 convertible Mustang, and a Kia Rio. All paid off. Yeah, the Kia is the car I need. The rest are things I want. But I bought them with cash and I loving love them.

The point is that money is a tender you exhange for various goods and services, and it's okay to buy poo poo you like. If someone wants to have a BMW for riding with his three girlfriends, that's fine. I like life, and I like my job, and I like driving to work with the pony or the bike. It's not bad with money, but yoy know what's good with life? Driving the same commute everyday, yet enjoying the roar of your engine and havig daily fun with your clutch. I don't curse in traffic, I have fun.

This thread has a tendency to shun material goods and earthly joya, which is kinda funny since most people post from 1000$ entertainment gaming machines.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Vahakyla posted:

it's okay to buy poo poo you like

BURN THE WITCH

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Vahakyla posted:

I have a motorcycle, a V8 convertible Mustang, and a Kia Rio. All paid off. Yeah, the Kia is the car I need. The rest are things I want. But I bought them with cash and I loving love them.

The point is that money is a tender you exhange for various goods and services, and it's okay to buy poo poo you like. If someone wants to have a BMW for riding with his three girlfriends, that's fine. I like life, and I like my job, and I like driving to work with the pony or the bike. It's not bad with money, but yoy know what's good with life? Driving the same commute everyday, yet enjoying the roar of your engine and havig daily fun with your clutch. I don't curse in traffic, I have fun.

This thread has a tendency to shun material goods and earthly joya, which is kinda funny since most people post from 1000$ entertainment gaming machines.

Nah I'd say 2/3 of the thread is pretty reasonable.

It's the other 1/3 that thinks anyone with a washing machine is BWM because you can just wear your clothes into the shower everyday!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Zo posted:

It's the other 1/3 that thinks anyone with a washing machine is BWM because you can just wear your clothes into the shower everyday!

I've been spending way too much money on laundry detergent every 3 months, so thanks to this post, I can now save some extra cash.

Thanks, Zo.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Zo posted:

Hahahahahaha no one has actually said that, right? :D

... Right?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dawncloack posted:

Hahahahahaha no one has actually said that, right? :D

... Right?

You can also save on toilet paper through a little process I like to call wafflestomping.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Breetai posted:

You can also save on toilet paper through a little process I like to call wafflestomping.

go on

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

no don't

he's australian

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cars are always going to be bwm. My wife's camry and my corolla variant are in the shop nonstop but it's cheaper to sink thousands a year into repairs than buy a new car. I think. Rust belt and city driving seems to kick the poo poo out of vehicles.

And living close to transit just means you pay another hundred grand or more to walk, it's probably more expensive to do that than have a beater car to drive to parking near transit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's absolutely cheaper in the long run to live near transit when you factor in insurance, cost of buying a car, annual permits, repairs, and parking costs. Plus your car is a thing you have to worry about in more ways than one which sucks. But everyone can't do it especially in America where we build suburbs in a way that makes cars necessary.

Living my whole life needing a car every day and then moving to the city where I go weeks without needing to drive it showed me that cars really are the worst. I still keep mine around for rare occasions though, I'm not going to drive around town with a bike trailer like that lunatic MMM.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 1, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vahakyla posted:

while I agree with you and am a Car Person, we can all agree that a decade-old minivan at 10% is BWM.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

:sever:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait until you have a kid who starts driving.

I guess it's kind of like electronics. You get a bright shiny new thing and your kid gets the old one. I was just hoping to use the old one a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait until you have a kid who starts driving.

I guess it's kind of like electronics. You get a bright shiny new thing and your kid gets the old one. I was just hoping to use the old one a bit longer.
If we wanted my parents' old car then we had to buy it off them. My brother did that but I never did so I'm 31 and still choose not to own a car due to the disruptive effect it would have on my budget.

I'm not poor but there are so many better things on which to spend my money.

• Locked thread