Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Does it count as an open relationship when the main reason Geralt is getting away with it is that it never comes up?

Remember near the end of the books when Geralt and Yennefer meet up again and he lies to her face about sleeping with other women while they were apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I get the vibe that it's not so much that they're in a formally open relationship and okay with each other having other partners on the side and more that they're both equally lovely at relationships. They care about each other / Ciri enough for their relationship to (tenuously) survive their mutual bullshit but it's not exactly a healthy dynamic.

Y'know the old saying about people deserving each other.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Seems CDPR messed up and DLC armor/weapons and NG+ is currently incompatible.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/58794-Items-disappearing-in-New-Game

The northeastern part of Velen also contains a lot of new buildings, though most of it is gated behind the "end of the world, turn back" message. I assume it opens up when Heart of Stone is released.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ymgve posted:

Seems CDPR messed up and DLC armor/weapons and NG+ is currently incompatible.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/58794-Items-disappearing-in-New-Game

The northeastern part of Velen also contains a lot of new buildings, though most of it is gated behind the "end of the world, turn back" message. I assume it opens up when Heart of Stone is released.

Wow, these are the worst loving devs can they not do anything right holy gently caress!!!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

16 gb of it are a file called notavirus.exe

There better be a good upgraded Kaer Morhen armour in there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Remember near the end of the books when Geralt and Yennefer meet up again and he lies to her face about sleeping with other women while they were apart

Yen can read his mind though, so the lie is only for his own comfort and both of them know it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lawnie posted:

Yen can read his mind though, so the lie is only for his own comfort and both of them know it.

Is that how we were supposed to read that? I still don't know.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, now I'm sort of wondering this as well. I'd check if I weren't already headed for bed. Anyone know?

the answer is no it still sucks I'm afraid. Unless they fixed it in the patch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

Is that how we were supposed to read that? I still don't know.

I didn't and I don't think that was the author's intent, but you could if you want. It's a valid read of the situation.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's not like Yen doesn't sleep around for giggles.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

We almost have to interpret Geralt lying to Yen as an advanced form of sarcasm.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JaucheCharly posted:

It's not like Yen doesn't sleep around for giggles.

She...doesn't, though?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Iron Rose posted:

the answer is no it still sucks I'm afraid. Unless they fixed it in the patch.

Blarg. Not being able to alt-tab reliably (even in the most immersive of games) kinda sucks. :(

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jack of Hearts posted:

She...doesn't, though?

Yeah, she does it to get her rocks off and release stress

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jack of Hearts posted:

She...doesn't, though?

Crach, then that old mage love of hers that she fucks just right after she gets out of bed with Geralt.

Actually, the list of sorceresses that Geralt sleeps with isn't that long.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Voyager I posted:

I get the vibe that it's not so much that they're in a formally open relationship and okay with each other having other partners on the side and more that they're both equally lovely at relationships. They care about each other / Ciri enough for their relationship to (tenuously) survive their mutual bullshit but it's not exactly a healthy dynamic.

Y'know the old saying about people deserving each other.

They got character development in the books to the extent that by book 4 they've both learned a lot of lessons and aren't nearly so lovely at relationships anymore. The only thing keeping them apart after that is extraordinary events, much like in the games. But yeah, it's not an officially open relationship where they both agree to look the other way at any point in the books and I don't get that impression in the games, either.

pik_d posted:

Yeah, she does it to get her rocks off and release stress

Not typically while they're together.

Lawnie posted:

She can but she doesn't always. I don't think she wanted to. Wouldn't be the first time she'd rather not know the answer to a question regarding Geralt.

JaucheCharly posted:

Crach, then that old mage love of hers that she fucks just right after she gets out of bed with Geralt.

Istredd is the only time she did that while she and Geralt were "on" and it was hardly just a casual gently caress for giggles, much like Geralt and Fringilla. Crach was from decades ago and during a break up.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
i really think people have some odd unresolved hate boners over open world.

I saw dozens of question marks in the middle of the water in skellige.
To a hate boner, it's oh god exploration I HAVE to do to 100% this game
to me it's, I really could give a gently caress less.

Even if you hate open world, the games rarely ever force you to participate in sidequests. Especially not this one.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JaucheCharly posted:

Yeah, but the Crach thing was when he was substantially younger and was sufficiently serious to make him seriously fond of her, and the sorcerer was a guy she was as attached to as Geralt, a man she was literally bound to by a genie's magic. There was little indication that she slept around in general.

Of course, book Geralt didn't either, aside from Shani.

Having read the books, I'm tempted to go totally-faithful-to-Yen on my next playthrough.

The Sharmat posted:

She can but she doesn't always. I don't think she wanted to. Wouldn't be the first time she'd rather not know the answer to a question regarding Geralt.

I think he was somehow "honest" in the sense that Fringilla was always a distraction for him, and that even when he was with her he was still thinking about Yen (and would call her name during sex, yeesh). But it's pretty complicated to unpack.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 9, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The romance dialogue was so lovely in this I dumped everyone and was glad

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

Of course, book Geralt didn't either, aside from Shani.

Quite a few more in the short story collection though.

SectumSempra posted:

I saw dozens of question marks in the middle of the water in skellige.
To a hate boner, it's oh god exploration I HAVE to do to 100% this game
to me it's, I really could give a gently caress less.

One issue here is that you can't always tell which quest is actually worth doing and which one is boring filler stuff.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avalerion posted:

Quite a few more in the short story collection though.

You're right, now that I think about it. I just remember him refusing to sleep with Little Eye because he was too busy moping over Yen.

What happens if you tell Kiera that there's someone else? Can you still persuade her to go back to Kaer Morhen?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
New Gwent cards: http://i.imgur.com/zXGFyT2.jpg

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Want that cow card

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Everyone is talking about the romances in this game, but I just did the mission sequence with the witch Keira in Velen. When will Geralt make sex with her

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

starry skies above posted:

Everyone is talking about the romances in this game, but I just did the mission sequence with the witch Keira in Velen. When will Geralt make sex with her

Soon.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Jack of Hearts posted:

What happens if you tell Kiera that there's someone else? Can you still persuade her to go back to Kaer Morhen?

She's disappointed and teases Geralt about it, but they stay friends.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Should change Triss' card to Ranged Scorch too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Eredin gets more dialogue from trailers and gwent cards than he has in the entire game proper.

hemale in pain posted:

The romance dialogue was so lovely in this I dumped everyone and was glad

I enjoyed Yen's banter a lot.

Jack of Hearts posted:

"Geralt: Sorry, there's someone else.
Keira: Pfft. So? Geraaaalt you're so old fashioned."

Keira is cool. And yes, she can still come.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Senjuro posted:

gently caress this plague of open world games and the obsession with bigger and bigger maps that they've created. Would the Witcher 2 have been better if it had an open world? Would the Witcher 3 had been worse if most or even all the points of interests were removed and the map was condensed? Waste of resources if you ask me.

I normally hate open world games, tried many times to play MMOs, etc.

I, personally, found that Witcher 3 did it right, and it really adds to the feeling of being a Witcher. The side quests are well done and the game is dense enough that it doesn't feel like a lot of empty places.

Even though the game feels dense enough, if there is something I would love for them to do later as a DLC (free or not), is to just sprinkle the game with new npcs, random conversations, improvements of some locations, small quests and other improvements around the map to make the world even denser. (More gwent cards and players would be great).

(Oh, and new inventory tabs. Maybe there is already a mod for this, is there ? It gets really annoying later on).

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm sorta surprised at Schirrú being that strong for the relatively little part he plays. But he's another Scorch so if I get the expansions at some point...

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Why is the cow in the Ranged row?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And what purpose does the cow serve, period?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

Why is the cow in the Ranged row?

Presumably, Monty Python doesn't translate to Polish well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I would imagine that since there's a bovine defense force card in there, presumably it's something where you get a bonus if you play the cards together.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Sometimes some choices (or lack thereof) in the game you have to make feel very out of character for Geralt. Obviously there is some leeway as to what he might or might not do in certain situations and that's the fun of it, but there are times it goes too far I think. Like I can rationalize his going for Triss instead of his apparent One True Love, but for example in the Nithing quest you can just have the herbalist die a (implied) painful death just because she initially refuses to lift the curse on the son of his ex. You go and ask her to lift the curse, she essentially tells you no, and instead of threatening to reverse the curse on her or trying any other method Geralt just shrugs. Then the choice is either a) Keep the curse and let the kid die of fever, or b) Reverse the curse and have her die. Sure she's a lovely person but drat, at least try some other way first. Let her know she will die if she refuses. Try to bribe/Axii her. Tell the other villagers of her crime so that she can face some consequences. Kidnap her and force her to reverse it at sword-point, then cut off her hands or something. Ask for more money from the kid's Father if you think the coin's not worth the effort.

I chose to reverse the curse, because the alternative is having an innocent kid die, and Geralt says something along the lines of "May she have a painless death." Right. If she is so irredeemable a monster she has to die, at least give me the option to do it myself to ensure the relative painlessness of her end.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BDF BDF!

I need to reinstall this game. Never got to finish it before my computer died and given the dlc on its way, it'll be as good a time as any.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've missed about the last 1k pages of this thread. I read the past two pages and see that an expansion is coming out soon. Anyone have a link I could check out or anything?

Crappy Jack posted:

I would imagine that since there's a bovine defense force card in there, presumably it's something where you get a bonus if you play the cards together.
If the cow dies the Bovine Defense Force shows up?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If it's like some myths, telling her he's going to reverse the curse might make reversing it not work.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Speaking of Keira, she is currently at the location where the funeral pyre was, and is only accessible by jumping over the fence of Kaer Morhen, and then you can't go back. Is there a way to properly reach her post-game? The exterior door of the tower is open but the interior one needs a key I don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

I've missed about the last 1k pages of this thread. I read the past two pages and see that an expansion is coming out soon. Anyone have a link I could check out or anything?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378649/