Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

whoops wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

whoops wrong thread

name/post combo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

went to buy New Super Mario Bros ds bc it's one of 3 2D Mario's I haven't played at this point, and saw dragon quest monsters Joker 2, which I've heard is good but I don't know anything about it? looking forward to trying it out

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Training posted:

went to buy New Super Mario Bros ds bc it's one of 3 2D Mario's I haven't played at this point, and saw dragon quest monsters Joker 2, which I've heard is good but I don't know anything about it? looking forward to trying it out

NSMB DS is in the bottom tier of Mario games, so you'll probably make the right choice here

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

NSMB DS is in the bottom tier of Mario games, so you'll probably make the right choice here

thats the only nsmb ive ever played and have never touched them since

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

trying to jack off posted:

thats the only nsmb ive ever played and have never touched them since

u is the only one thats anywhere near good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

you misunderstood I got both games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat world 1 and this game is a megaturd lol. Cool that it uses a bunch of sound effects from yoshi's island though

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

absolutely anything posted:

u is the only one thats anywhere near good

I probably gave the Wii one a bunch of extra points because of the novelty value of 4 player chaos in a traditional Mario game, and by the time we got U it didn't seem like that great a leap comparatively.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played U for a bit and it seemed... ok? It was after 3D World which owned so it was definitely underwhelming.

Also every single audio cue was topped off with an infuriating "wa" sound and it drove me prodromal.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The nsmb games are passable in multiplayer because of the chaos, but you should never play one by yourself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

The nsmb games are passable in multiplayer because of the chaos, but you should never play one by yourself

I'm going to 100% them all and you can't stop me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Joke's on you, the 2nd DS one takes about 600 hours to 100% because to get the final reward you have to organically collect one million coins.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that doesnt count for % everyone knows this

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played U for a bit and it seemed... ok? It was after 3D World which owned so it was definitely underwhelming.

Also every single audio cue was topped off with an infuriating "wa" sound and it drove me prodromal.

U had good level design but I stopped playing it at the last world and never felt like going back.

Also yea the music I think was surprisingly good if you could have taken out all the Wa's. What a choice

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1192805118472851457?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

Joke's on you, the 2nd DS one takes about 600 hours to 100% because to get the final reward you have to organically collect one million coins.

Isn't that a 3DS one or are there two Mario DS games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's new supe 2 I thought it was DS but it might be 3D.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Check out the animation when Bowser Jr. takes damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGrUqqfZ54&t=10s

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
My sister gave me a Switch last year, played some Mario: Hat Edition on it and put it in a drawer. Then this year she gave me BotW. I'm a little ways into it and I'm wondering what the big deal is. The entire story is about 100 words long, and every character you meet rehashes it verbatim while you mash A. The puzzle shrines are uniformly easy. Besides the shrines, every task and combat encounter in the game seems to either be impossible or trivial, the difference being whether you've pumped enough spirit orbs into stamina or stockpiled enough good weapons. A good example of this is horse taming: a pure stat check, but with button prompts that misleadingly suggest you could tame a difficult horse if only you mashed Soothe faster. Whoever decided that the main way to craft food (that you need in huge quantities) would be to navigate 3 menus in order to drop 5 physics-enable items at a time into a fire should be shot. The low-contrast art style combined with poor lighting causes many scenes to appear muddy and flat.

The game's structure per se is nothing new. Like any Ubisoft open world game, you have roughly 5 categories of thing to do scattered at regular intervals across a number of regions that you explore by climbing towers. Then it mixes in the Arkham games' [array of gadgets that can bypass certain repeated obstacles], but only a couple of them are as useful or neatly integrated into other gameplay — that is, the bat-cape and grappling hook, e.g., added a lot to both mobility and combat, whereas the Slate gadgets are only rarely useful outside of their specific exploration/puzzle niches. The Slate is a gimmick, and I was sick of the unskippable "blue data drop" cutscene the second time I saw it.

I have other problems with BotW that I'd categorize as matters of taste: I wish weapon durability was much, much higher, for example. But I'll leave it there. The game is still basically fun to gently caress around in, and I love exploring its world, but I cannot understand all the superlatives you nerds heap on it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Tldr

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

My sister gave me a Switch last year, played some Mario: Hat Edition on it and put it in a drawer. Then this year she gave me BotW. I'm a little ways into it and I'm wondering what the big deal is. The entire story is about 100 words long, and every character you meet rehashes it verbatim while you mash A. The puzzle shrines are uniformly easy. Besides the shrines, every task and combat encounter in the game seems to either be impossible or trivial, the difference being whether you've pumped enough spirit orbs into stamina or stockpiled enough good weapons. A good example of this is horse taming: a pure stat check, but with button prompts that misleadingly suggest you could tame a difficult horse if only you mashed Soothe faster. Whoever decided that the main way to craft food (that you need in huge quantities) would be to navigate 3 menus in order to drop 5 physics-enable items at a time into a fire should be shot. The low-contrast art style combined with poor lighting causes many scenes to appear muddy and flat.

The game's structure per se is nothing new. Like any Ubisoft open world game, you have roughly 5 categories of thing to do scattered at regular intervals across a number of regions that you explore by climbing towers. Then it mixes in the Arkham games' [array of gadgets that can bypass certain repeated obstacles], but only a couple of them are as useful or neatly integrated into other gameplay — that is, the bat-cape and grappling hook, e.g., added a lot to both mobility and combat, whereas the Slate gadgets are only rarely useful outside of their specific exploration/puzzle niches. The Slate is a gimmick, and I was sick of the unskippable "blue data drop" cutscene the second time I saw it.

I have other problems with BotW that I'd categorize as matters of taste: I wish weapon durability was much, much higher, for example. But I'll leave it there. The game is still basically fun to gently caress around in, and I love exploring its world, but I cannot understand all the superlatives you nerds heap on it.

simply badass

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Very well, where should I begin? My sister bought me a nintendo switch. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. A sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shaven scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil medical school. From there..

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Very well, where should I begin? My sister bought me a nintendo switch. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. A sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shaven scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil medical school. From there..

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmfao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Stopped by the ole eye zee to troll some dweebs.... but today the troll........becums the Hunted...........

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stopped by the ole eye zee to troll some dweebs.... but today the troll........becums the Hunted...........
trolling by posting three paragraphs of PYF-style sincere opinion

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lmfao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

trolling by posting three paragraphs of PYF-style sincere opinion

humiliating oneslef by putting long grammatically correct posts with personal details in inappropriate contexts is a well known trick of the trade

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
oops lmao meant to post that on my main account, In Training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

oops lmao meant to post that on my main account, In Training