Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My memory of the couple I read was that they were mostly a collection pointless subplots that went nowhere, punctuated by the occasional staggering stupidity.

Like, in the world of Dune Prequels, Baron Harkonnen is fat because the Bene Gesserit mother superior deliberately gave him an STD that made him fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

IIRC Fremen is a contraction of Frenchmen

The Butlerian Jihad is named after a lady the robots forced to have an abortion

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

a foolish pianist posted:

I would like to know more about this.

https://twitter.com/angstromhoot/status/795362873396654080?lang=en

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

dear god

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/AngstromHoot/status/929803691233890305

a year later he shaped up

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

oh my god

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I stopped at God Emperor but this is threatening me with a lol time

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

pradmer posted:

A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan #2) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPJHNSM/

Witches Abroad (Discworld #12) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AW2OYC/

A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn) by P Djčlí Clark - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HKXS84X/

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VSLF9/

Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3) by Becky Chambers - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BFJCB9/

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00851M70C/

Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGJDSCK/

thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rather than being a critique of a human civilization over-reliant on machines and computers to do their work and cogitation for them, the AI threat in the Bad Books are 20 human warlords called Titans who stuck their brains in giant stomping mechs called cymeks.

quote:

In this state, and with frequent upkeep, the brain could live for tens of thousands of years and could control interchangeable robotic bodies through thoughtrodes.

Some of the computers the Titans use are neglected and a true strong AI emerges and overthrows the titans and takes over the galaxy. It is called Omnius, which sounds like a transformer villain.

Everything that is subtle or mysterious about the Dune universe set out by Herbert is stripped away by the prequels, mid-quels, and sequels written by Brian and KJA. The Harkonnens and Atreides families hate each other because the Harkonnens betrayed the Atreides by not showing up at the decisive Battle of Corrino which ended the Butlerian Jihad. It's very much that old Star Wars EU vibe, where every background character as well as the ice cream machine he was carrying gets a detailed and intimate connection to the major events of the story.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 1, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

. It is called Omnius, which sounds like a transformer villain.

If orson welles is taking over the galaxy maybe we should listen to him

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

pradmer posted:

A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan #2) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPJHNSM/

Witches Abroad (Discworld #12) by Terry Pratchett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AW2OYC/

A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn) by P Djčlí Clark - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HKXS84X/

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VSLF9/

Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3) by Becky Chambers - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BFJCB9/

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00851M70C/

Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGJDSCK/

got two books today, thanks! and thanks for all the other days of deals posting as well.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

zoux posted:

Rather than being a critique of a human civilization over-reliant on machines and computers to do their work and cogitation for them, the AI threat in the Bad Books are 20 human warlords called Titans who stuck their brains in giant stomping mechs called cymeks.

Some of the computers the Titans use are neglected and a true strong AI emerges and overthrows the titans and takes over the galaxy. It is called Omnius, which sounds like a transformer villain.

Everything that is subtle or mysterious about the Dune universe set out by Herbert is stripped away by the prequels, mid-quels, and sequels written by Brian and KJA. The Harkonnens and Atreides families hate each other because the Harkonnens betrayed the Atreides by not showing up at the decisive Battle of Corrino which ended the Butlerian Jihad. It's very much that old Star Wars EU vibe, where every background character as well as the ice cream machine he was carrying gets a detailed and intimate connection to the major events of the story.

Ok but in the EU that poo poo was awesome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think I'd agree but I can assure you it is not awesome in the Dooniverse. It's not a coincidence that the worst EU author co-came up with the Dune failson prequels.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

I stopped at God Emperor but this is threatening me with a lol time

Every funny but is buried in tedious poo poo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

got two books today, thanks! and thanks for all the other days of deals posting as well.

Also, for anyone who like me used to ignore these because they don't have an Amazon e-reader: a lot of the time, if the books are on sale on Amazon, they're on sale on other storefronts too! For example, ADCP is also $3 on Kobo and Google Play Books as a DRM-free epub, and probably other places too.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For all the weird writing quirks, Harrow is really just a stock character.
:vince:

RDM fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gotta say, it's been a long time since I was counting down the days (12) until I could chowder down on the next book in a series.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

zoux posted:

These books don't exist, and you can't tell me otherwise!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

These books don't exist, and you can't tell me otherwise!

I guess you don't want to read of the incredible tale of the Jihad hero Ben A. Jesserit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

zoux posted:

I guess you don't want to read of the incredible tale of the Jihad hero Ben A. Jesserit.
The books can't hurt me, the books can't hurt me, the books can't hurt me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Now tell them….of the sequels

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

ULTRA-SPICE

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cptn_dr posted:

ULTRA-SPICE

That sounds like either the sixth Spice Girl or the Voltronesque robot the girls form when they combine.

Okay, now I need to read this story. Get on it, General Battuta.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Now tell them….of the sequels

What, like how the mysterious Daniel and Marty from the end of Chapterhouse are actually secret cymek titans that were able to hide from humanity for 20k years? No, that’s just cruel.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Rand Brittain posted:

Gotta say, it's been a long time since I was counting down the days (12) until I could chowder down on the next book in a series.

:hmmyes:

I just finished a re-read of Gideon and Harrow, and I’m feeling the sick sense of hype you get for things that devastate your emotions for a while. Alix E. Harrow posted a glowing review of Nona on Tor the other day, if you’re into that sort of thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Another Dirty Dish posted:

:hmmyes:

I just finished a re-read of Gideon and Harrow, and I’m feeling the sick sense of hype you get for things that devastate your emotions for a while. Alix E. Harrow posted a glowing review of Nona on Tor the other day, if you’re into that sort of thing.

well, *gently caress*

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this is like something out of a dril tweet

cptn_dr posted:

ULTRA-SPICE

Dune by Rob Liefeld

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I can't believe the slanderous inaccuracy of this nonsense.
The robots forced her to have a hysterectomy :colbert: and threw her baby off a roof

These may or may not have been some of the earliest books I hazily realized were Not Good even as I read them.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

le chai 'allude

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

extremely based to take the cool Bedouin people and make them fr*nch

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Drakyn posted:

I can't believe the slanderous inaccuracy of this nonsense.
The robots forced her to have a hysterectomy :colbert: and threw her baby off a roof

These may or may not have been some of the earliest books I hazily realized were Not Good even as I read them.

Yeah there is definitely this crystal clear moment where when I was reading one of those fail-son sequels that the fact of no longer having to read a book just because I started it flashed as an immutable truth in my mind. So, not a complete waste of time if you are a literal 10 year old I guess.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Just keep in mind your ghost is going to have to finish every book you've ever left incomplete and every unplayed game in your steam library.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

See, I read that last bit as "a lady who forced robots to have an abortion" and that sounds like a much more interesting story.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing my Ethshar reading and have just finished The Sorcerer's Widow and Relics of War. I think Relics of War is probably my favorite so far outside of The Misenchanted Sword. While there are hints of a potential wider scale, it's still very much a personal stakes story focused on a small group of people.

Next up will be Stone Unturned.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

zoux posted:

What, like how the mysterious Daniel and Marty from the end of Chapterhouse are actually secret cymek titans that were able to hide from humanity for 20k years? No, that’s just cruel.

Put your hand in the box. Put it in there right goddamned now.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

zoux posted:

No need to worry about those titans since (as Frank outlined in the notes he totally left behind) they get beaten by the failson's OC from the prequels who turned into a god

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

He seriously wrote a robot disguised as a human and hid for thousands of years and called it Daniel?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Qwertycoatl posted:

No need to worry about those titans since (as Frank outlined in the notes he totally left behind) they get beaten by the failson's OC from the prequels who turned into a god

Oh you mean Norma

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

He seriously wrote a robot disguised as a human and hid for thousands of years and called it Daniel?

What makes it worse is Asimov had already written one of.those. so that's the second

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the funniest part of this joke is that it was just "gently caress" in the original printing of the book in the UK

the radio version used Belgium instead, and then he clearly realized how good that was and swapped it in, like, it's way funnier, but the original joke is a lovely one-liner about the Oscars

This just blew my mind as I’ve read Life, the Universe and Everything a bazillion times since I was a teenager, and both my copies (which I think I got second hand) have the original “gently caress” one liner. I had no idea other editions had changes to that extent. I virtually know the first three books by heart so this is just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What makes it worse is Asimov had already written one of.those. so that's the second

at least the asimov one had the decency to be hiding out on the moon, which nobody cared about because earth was long dead. less hiding and more everyone just forgot he existed. and also might have been some kind of ultra powerful being who deleted the possibility of intelligent life so humanity could be safe forever.