Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

So less than charcoal started with lighter fluid then?

My parents growing up would start the grill with lighting fluid. My childhood was filled with the farting noises a can of nearly empty lighting fluid made. "HOW IS THIS SAFE OH GOD," I thought as flames licked the side of the house. When I bought my first house I bought an old fashioned kettle and a coal chimney and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm surprised anyone can tell the difference between propane and butane after combustion. Maybe it's actually that propane comes with mercaptan oderants in it that add that flavor, while butane is meant for lighters and chefs torches and doesn't include the same oderants?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's totally the odorant that smells like rear end.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It’s only smellz.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Steakandchips posted:

I'm in the UK.

I need a small/medium sized hand held butane/propane/mixed torch for lighting a charcoal grill/BBQ on my upcoming holiday where I'm riding my motorcycle to a chalet where they have a charcoal grill/BBQ on site.

The torch needs to be:

1. Not-poo poo.
2. Not going to melt if I use it for more than 10 seconds at a time.
3. Refillable or attachable to a small 300/400/500ml widely available gas canister.
4. Easily transportable in my motorcycle saddle bags.

Before anyone says it, no, I won't bring a charcoal chimney with me, it'd be too large and cumbersome to fit in my motorcycle luggage :) !

So, any recommendations for such a torch?

If you’ll have access to mains power, an electric heat gun is my preferred charcoal ignitor. Cheap, fast, and never runs out of fuel.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

um excuse me posted:

Hey it's not turd on your plate bad. More of essence of fart, a kiss of bare rear end, if you will.

there's definitely room in my addled brain for the gas to have been something besides propane, but it was definitely always an ordinary looking click-start torch. i seem to recall the canister being yellow, which apparently means it was either mapp or "mapp substitutes" since mappgas hasn't been made in the us since 2008

and yeah all the places i worked were shitholes, but a couple were the sort of well-reviewed local institution shitholes with non-shithole-looking front of house so the tourists didnt know it was a shithole. i dont remember anyone complaining that the creme brulee smelled like fart gas but that doesn't mean it didnt happen lol

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 5, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've never been entirely clear if mapp-substitute combustion products are fine to eat or not.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've made creme brulee with a MAPP(ish) torch.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pretty much every professional kitchen I've worked in (including Michelin star rated places) has used some flavor of the old reliable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019CQL60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CMND348P5SDAKE5HKJK4

MAPP or Propane depending on which place it was.

The little screw on torches were around as backups but everyone always wanted to use the big guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Krakkles posted:

I've made creme brulee with a MAPP(ish) torch.

Same. And it will get busted out here shortly to light up some charcoal. From plumbing to bolts to food its a versatile tool.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I looked up more about different torches used for cooking. The fart taste is formally called "torch taste". It is caused by incomplete, rich, combustion. It is independent of fuel...sorta. You see, them big plumber torches are commonly used in kitchens because they support a hotter flame which is always a good thing if the goal is searing. Problem is one of the most susceptible proteins for torch taste also happens to be one of the most commonly seared: beef. You probably won't use a brulee torch on a steak. Hence the misconception about fuel. Butane also contains the fart additive ethyl mercaptan. The reason you don't taste it as often, besides the correlation above, is because butane brulee torches have a much finer control over their fuel ratio since they are specifically designed for food. The flame is also smaller so it is harder to touch the still mixing gases to the food before they get a chance to combust. So I guess the takeaway here is use whichever you want, just make sure a Propane/MAPP torch doesn't have a lovely tip on it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have also seared steak with a MAPP(ish) torch.

Tasted fine. (I inadvertently left this out of the earlier post, the creme brulee tasted fine too.) Neither tasted like rear end.

Basically this:

um excuse me posted:

So I guess the takeaway here is use whichever you want, just make sure a Propane/MAPP torch doesn't have a lovely tip on it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Thumposaurus posted:

Pretty much every professional kitchen I've worked in (including Michelin star rated places) has used some flavor of the old reliable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019CQL60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CMND348P5SDAKE5HKJK4

MAPP or Propane depending on which place it was.

The little screw on torches were around as backups but everyone always wanted to use the big guy.

bingo, thats the one

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yep, if you need a propane trigger torch, the TS8000 is the only one worth getting. It's either that or oldschool brass and a sparker.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have this little guy that lives in my tool bag and it’s been fine. I like that it resists getting pressed on while smashed in there and doesn’t fill my bag with butane.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need to cut off some of the plastic running boards and front bumper on my SUV. The manufacturer for the half bumper recommends an angle grinder with a cutting wheel, but a few people have said an oscillating multi-tool works better with less hot plastic flying everywhere. Should the M12 multi-tool be able to handle this, or do I need to upgrade to the M18? I already have M12 batteries so that's a lot cheaper, however if I mess up the bumper while cutting because the M12 won't work well then it would be cheaper to just buy a M18 tool + battery. I'm not opposed to joining the M18 collection anyway, but I haven't needed to do it yet.

Video of the cuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU5wb1X6ZiA

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I use my bosch 12v cutter all the time. I can't imagine an m12 wouldn't be plenty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

M12 OMT should do just fine there. The only time mine has protested was when I used it to flush-cut a bunch of screws (and burned through at least three blades in the process).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I recently bought the M12 OMT and have been cutting holes in a ton of plastic.

The only thing I'd say - an angle grinder is going to be a fuckton faster, but the OMT is going to be much more likely to make a clean cut.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Torch chat: Here is my little torch I use for cooking. Pretty much exclusively for Creme brulee but also the odd other thing. It's butane but never noticed any weird taste.

Might be a little small for starting charcoal but I suspect it could work. 6" OAL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

Torch chat: Here is my little torch I use for cooking. Pretty much exclusively for Creme brulee but also the odd other thing . It's butane but never noticed any weird taste.

Might be a little small for starting charcoal but I suspect it could work. 6" OAL

Oh yeah I forgot I have one for dabs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Actual tool chat. Finally got to use my Ryobi cordless impact for the first time in like a year or so today. Forgot how much easier it makes a lot of jobs, though it always giving off a burnt electrical smell (since day 1).

Cheap source for tool-only Ryobi 18V ONE+ stuff (refurb is fine - and I've been watching pawn shops + Goodwill), or should I just pull the trigger and switch to Kobalt? I can get an employee discount on Kobalt (10%), and the only Ryobi stuff I have so far is a 1/2" impact - but Ryobi seems a lot more common to find used. My immediate need is a cordless drill (primarily for polishing car lights for now - Matrix needs it bad, the JDM lights for Brokeback need both inside and outside of the covers done.... may just swap covers from the USDM halogens at this point). I don't know how long a cordless drill will last with that though.

um excuse me posted:

My parents growing up would start the grill with lighting fluid. My childhood was filled with the farting noises a can of nearly empty lighting fluid made. "HOW IS THIS SAFE OH GOD," I thought as flames licked the side of the house. When I bought my first house I bought an old fashioned kettle and a coal chimney and never looked back.

At my last place, the first time I fired up the grill (in the backyard, which was nothing but dry grass - but I had a 8x8 concrete pad to use)...... and I probably used a bit too much lighter fluid - I may have lost some arm hair from the FWOOM. But I had it a safe distance from the house, had a hose next to me, steaks and burgers ready to go, etc.

The fire department showed up. Neighbor behind me called 911 and claimed my house was on fire. :rolleyes: They at least were cool about it, and told me "she is most definitely NOT a frequent flier with bullshit complaints to both fire and PD, no sir :wmwink:, but can we get your phone # to verify in case she calls again?". They complimented me on having water readily available if things got out of control.

I made sure to do a few more pyro demonstrations for her (which always resulted in my phone ringing, FD asking if I was grilling, me saying yup) before just taking the grill to the front driveway. Which resulted in neighbors asking what I was cooking and if they could hang out. :argh:

(I learned from my stepdad... a whole bottle of fluid isn't enough, according to him - you haven't used enough until you burn your eyebrows off from tossing a match at the grill from 10 feet away)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 6, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

No matter what size you buy, all lighter fluid comes in a single-serving container.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

sweet, M12 OMT it is. I also like the idea of a cleaner cut, and speed is not an issue at all, I'd prefer a slower speed so I don't mess it up too bad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

Torch chat: Here is my little torch I use for cooking. Pretty much exclusively for Creme brulee but also the odd other thing. It's butane but never noticed any weird taste.

I don't own a toaster, so I use mine for making toast sometimes. Also melting cheese if I want cheesey toast but don't feel like firing up a skillet

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Comedy option, a tablespoon of gas from your motorcycles tank and a book of matches

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Grainger just canceled my order for that m18 electric impact that got posted a while back.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fknlo posted:

Grainger just canceled my order for that m18 electric impact that got posted a while back.

FUCKERS

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

supposedly the super old-school european trained cooks used an iron sallamander that got kept under the broiler, but its easy to see how handling a five hundred degree piece of iron plate fell out of favor to a torch

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fknlo posted:

Same. Given slickdeals is talking about this being a regular occurrence (three in recent memory?), I’m wondering if they just have somebody incompetent running their site or if they’re doing it on purpose to collect email addresses. I’ve been getting regular email junk from them since placing the order.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you were ever going to buy a set of Wera Jokers, I think this is the best price I've seen:

https://www.kctoolco.com/tool-of-the-day/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, already sold out. I have a single 10mm Joker and it's very nice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You can still order them! They always allow backorders and generally still ship them pretty quickly.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

oh right, it even says that on the page. I was looking for an add to cart button but you just have to click on the item name.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A small list that I'm interested if anyone can expand: tools that we buy cheap when we're young and realize we should spend more on because the expensive versions are worth it.

Welding hoods
Screwdrivers
Ratchets

And a lot of things that I think might be subjective.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ratchets - My bang/buck recommendation is Williams. They make the Snap on ratchets and can be had at a fraction of the price. They are excellent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

A small list that I'm interested if anyone can expand: tools that we buy cheap when we're young and realize we should spend more on because the expensive versions are worth it.

Welding hoods
Screwdrivers
Ratchets

Pretty much any grinding/sanding consumable
Tool storage (not saying buy a snap on box, just get better organized as things expand)
Tiny spare parts. I have so many kits of plastic scrivets, o rings, zerks, etc as appropriate for what I have around that need them.
Hardware. Just get a basic assortment of metric/imperial so you're not constantly going to the hardware store.
Specialty tools: yes, you really do need 4 or 5 different kind of bolt extractors.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't cheap out on miter saws. Double bevel slider 12 inch saw is what even a casual wood worker needs. I hate flipping boards to get that last inch or two and needing to sand until the cut lines are straight with each other. They cost a small fortune but are worth it since they also last forever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Welding hoods
Screwdrivers
Ratchets

I've still yet to realize that my craftsman screwdrivers are less than "good enough." Probably when I hold a nice one for the first time I will, but I'm still too young I guess. :v:

My list:
consumables like sawzall blades and grinding discs that won't give you cancer. Or at least lesser cancers.
tap and dies. My harbor freight set is downright awful and it's better to buy them individually as you need them.
Drill bits. Holy poo poo I suffered with some awful big box store bits for way too long.

slidebite posted:

Ratchets - My bang/buck recommendation is Williams. They make the Snap on ratchets and can be had at a fraction of the price. They are excellent.

Totally. Got 3/8" and 1/2" used ones from my dad from yard sale scores and they're excellent. Way better engagement than any old craftsman ones I'd used previously. My go to every time and they've been great for 10+ years now, plus however old they were when I got them 2nd (or 3rd+) hand.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

I've still yet to realize that my craftsman screwdrivers are less than "good enough." Probably when I hold a nice one for the first time I will, but I'm still too young I guess. :v:

OK well whomever is your secret Santa knows exactly what to get you.

I mean you can't go full dad until you have a "good screwdriver". drat it Jimmy I told you to put the good screwdriver back where you found it! Oh poo poo this screw is hosed get me the good screwdriver.

Plus you're looking at a $30 investment and who doesn't need extra screwdrivers.

I should start a tool church. Or cult.