Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

mistaya posted:

Wet food is a good way to hydrate kitty if you need to. Bust open a can and treat him.

Also add some low sodium chicken broth to the wet food, ~2 tablespoons. They love it. Trader Joes has a big rear end box for $1.99. I haven't seen low sodium anywhere else that/s why I mention TJs. It makes my non-water liking poo face pee a whole lot :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

SynthOrange posted:

Cats have personalities.

One of my cats sleeps on top of my head at night. Then another one realized she'd get more attention from sleeping in that area so I get a kitty I'm cuddling and a tiny cat sleeping on my head. Then I have aforementioned AROOOOOOO-er who sleeps all day, and another that plays fetch. Then I have a feral cat who still doesn't understand how to meow but I've gotten him to be the biggest lap cat in the world. Good cats.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
My 5 year old daughter can be too much excitement for my cat, who spends much of the evenings hiding under our bed until the kid goes to sleep. I got her a wall-mounted cat shelf that she can jump to from her cat tree, which is high enough that the kid can't bother her. I'm hoping she'll grow to use that instead of hiding so much. But the cat barely ever goes up there. I put some food she likes up there are it's usually gone in the morning, but I never see her just chilling there. I'm hoping once she realizes she's safe there she'll take to it.. but her reflex is to hide in covered areas instead of taking to high spots. Any ideas? Unfortunately she doesn't really react to catnip. (I even tried silver vine, again, nothing)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some cats are ground cats, others love high spots. If she doesnt use the cat tree to hide, she wont use the shelf especially if the underbed is much more accessible.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Verdict from the vet is in and Pepper has both crystals AND a UTI so I need to get antibiotics and prescription cat food. Gonna finally get off my arse about getting them a fountain too.

At least the three-day battle to get a sample wasn't wasted effort and hopefully the next sample will be much easier now that I have more strategies up my sleeve.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ouch. Yeah thats what Pudding had. The cat food isnt too bad, I get the dry UTI version and add water before his meals. Dumb butt still doesnt drink enough water though even with a fountain (the other cat loving loves it) so I supplement with tuna water before bedtime.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

My 5 year old daughter can be too much excitement for my cat, who spends much of the evenings hiding under our bed until the kid goes to sleep. I got her a wall-mounted cat shelf that she can jump to from her cat tree, which is high enough that the kid can't bother her. I'm hoping she'll grow to use that instead of hiding so much. But the cat barely ever goes up there. I put some food she likes up there are it's usually gone in the morning, but I never see her just chilling there. I'm hoping once she realizes she's safe there she'll take to it.. but her reflex is to hide in covered areas instead of taking to high spots. Any ideas? Unfortunately she doesn't really react to catnip. (I even tried silver vine, again, nothing)

Train your kid.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Organza Quiz posted:

Verdict from the vet is in and Pepper has both crystals AND a UTI so I need to get antibiotics and prescription cat food. Gonna finally get off my arse about getting them a fountain too.

At least the three-day battle to get a sample wasn't wasted effort and hopefully the next sample will be much easier now that I have more strategies up my sleeve.

I use Royal Canin SO wet and dry. The wet smells tasty. When I use wet I mix it with low sodium chicken broth so they get extra liquid. Trader Joes has it. My cat loves water so I'm lucky in that way but if yours doesn't, use the wet one more often with the chicken broth.

I'm glad your hard work paid off :)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Ouch. Yeah thats what Pudding had. The cat food isnt too bad, I get the dry UTI version and add water before his meals. Dumb butt still doesnt drink enough water though even with a fountain (the other cat loving loves it) so I supplement with tuna water before bedtime.

Honestly I think most of the problem was that she suddenly decided she didn't like drinking out of the thing she's been drinking out of since I got her. Which I don't blame her for, it's one of those contraptions with a big bottle that holds like 2L and slowly lets it out, which means most of the time it's pretty stale. The only reason she's been drinking out of it for so long is I tried to switch her to fresh water in a bowl and she absolutely refused to drink it, she only wanted to drink out of the water thing with the big bottle. But this time when I had her isolated to her own room with a bowl of water she was drinking tons from it so I guess she's changed her mind and now I can switch to a system that works better for both of us.

I'm mostly hoping a fountain will convince Peridot to stop drinking leftover shower water, since crouching in the shower seems to be wet felting her stomach fluff and I'm gonna have to cut most of it off as soon as I figure out how to get her to let me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Thin Privilege posted:

Train your kid.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Thin Privilege posted:

One of my cats sleeps on top of my head at night. Then another one realized she'd get more attention from sleeping in that area so I get a kitty I'm cuddling and a tiny cat sleeping on my head. Then I have aforementioned AROOOOOOO-er who sleeps all day, and another that plays fetch. Then I have a feral cat who still doesn't understand how to meow but I've gotten him to be the biggest lap cat in the world. Good cats.

It sounds like a magical house :allears:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Thin Privilege posted:

Train your kid.

I am, it's kind of a long process that takes at least 18 years to complete.

She's five and she claims to love the cat more than her own parents. She is very very huggy with her, plus the usual loud spazzy five year old antics. The cat's not afraid to hiss and scratch if she's really being harassed, that's not what this is, she just wants some peace and quiet.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

I am, it's kind of a long process that takes at least 18 years to complete.

She's five and she claims to love the cat more than her own parents. She is very very huggy with her, plus the usual loud spazzy five year old antics. The cat's not afraid to hiss and scratch if she's really being harassed, that's not what this is, she just wants some peace and quiet.

Thin Privilege posted:

Train your kid.

A cat hisses and scratches when s/he's VERY VERY VERY upset. Your kid is being too rough. "5 year old antics" means nothing. If you care about your cat you'd tell your kid to stop doing that stuff. Teach the kid to be gentle. If she wants the cat to like her, gently have her move her hand to the catte so she can smell it. Have your kid do that a lot. Catte will eventually trust her BUT if your kid does the stuff you describe again (forceful) the cat will again hiss and scratch. A cat is not a dog. You can't just pick it up and do whatever. Cats are only ok w petting and they're usually not cool w kids if they're hyper. So you have to teach your kids to be calm, super calm, with cats. If your cat seems upset, tell your kid "chill out, get away from cat."

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 21, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Eh, I don't think it's that dire. I had a cat when I was five and I used to bother the poo poo out of her as any normal five year old who loves cats would. She grew up willing to bite when someone bothered her but she loved me more than anything in the world and was pretty great with all other humans too. The cat will set its own boundaries and be fine.

ETA: actually thin privilege you should read posts more carefully before you start laying into people. At no point was the kid described as playing rough or the cat described as hissing and scratching as a result of what the kid is doing.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2016

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Thin Privilege posted:

A cat hisses and scratches when s/he's VERY VERY VERY upset. Your kid is being too rough.

Not always true.

If the cat is generally happy and just gets pissed and goes away to a safe place when hugged too much, that's usually fine.

As long as 1) parents will not freak out over a couple of scratches and 2) the kid is taught to respect animals (as in learn when enough is enough) this is seriously not a big deal.

I don't think the poster was saying that the kid can smoosh the cat or yank its tail - he/she just wanted an additional relaxation zone for the cat.

My best buddy from age 0 to 10 was a huge tomcat who rightfully chomped my head when I was being "too rough" (eg. cuddling him too much). He still adored me.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Does your cat tree have a box section, or would you be willing to mount a two or three sided box to one wall? She might be happier with an enclosed high space than an exposed one if she finds the kid stressful.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Thin Privilege posted:

A cat hisses and scratches when s/he's VERY VERY VERY upset. Your kid is being too rough. "5 year old antics" means nothing. If you care about your cat you'd tell your kid to stop doing that stuff. Teach the kid to be gentle. If she wants the cat to like her, gently have her move her hand to the catte so she can smell it. Have your kid do that a lot. Catte will eventually trust her BUT if your kid does the stuff you describe again (forceful) the cat will again hiss and scratch. A cat is not a dog. You can't just pick it up and do whatever. Cats are only ok w petting and they're usually not cool w kids if they're hyper. So you have to teach your kids to be calm, super calm, with cats. If your cat seems upset, tell your kid "chill out, get away from cat."

Well at least my five year old can listen better than you can read, so that's something :)

Werong Bustope posted:

Does your cat tree have a box section, or would you be willing to mount a two or three sided box to one wall? She might be happier with an enclosed high space than an exposed one if she finds the kid stressful.

It's this one:

I mounted a shelf on the wall next to the tree that basically acts like a fourth tier. I figured it'd be cheaper and take less room compared to buying a larger cat tree that we don't really have space for, esp. since kitty generally prefers our furniture for lounging. My daughter can reach the top tier of the tree itself, but not the higher shelf. I think once kitty realizes this, she'd probably prefer the shelf to under the bed-- she's a social cat who likes observing people and crying for attention.

I'd be willing to try building/buying some sort of partial enclosure on the shelf to make her feel more secluded, although I'm not much of a builder, and it'd have to keep it easy for her to jump up.. Any suggestions on a good way to do this?

I'd appreciate any other ideas for giving her a protected quiet spot in the living room, if anyone has any (and can accept the rather large middle ground between Animal-Abusing Hellion and Cat-Whispering Child Savant With Perfect Impulse Control).

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Got home from vacation today, and was greeted with a cute kitten. 13 weeks old, now, and still a bit shy around the rest of the family (one of my younger sisters picked her up and has been caring for her this week, because she wanted to try to get the kitten accustomed to the other cat in the house (well, she sometimes live her for months, then go back with my sister when school starts). After a week, at least they don't fight or hiss at each other, but they also refuse to be in the same room. Kitten is hiding everywhere, old (well, teenager? She's 4 human years) cat is lurking in the office, refusing petting, cuddles, play, and eating. Also, she doesn't want to go outside, but I take it that's just jealousy or something. I take it it's the same as with humans who have lived their whole life as an only child, only to have another cute thing show up.

I just hope they'll end up liking each other …

Meanwhile, the kitten has been hiding all over. Be it sneaking inside the cupboard and falling asleep on a box of pasta, hiding behind the toaster, or as today, when I wanted to get to know her better and crawled around on the floor looking for her. She ran inside a closet, and I decided not to disturb her and went to make a toy with string and newspaper, but when I got back to the closet, I couldn't find her.

After calling for her and looking all over the house, fearing that she might've escaped outside through an open window or something, we finally found her sleeping in a shoe after a couple of hours.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren:DID YOU TAKE PHOTOS OF SHOEKITTEN!?:siren:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

SynthOrange posted:

SynthOrange posted:

SynthOrange posted:

SynthOrange posted:

SynthOrange posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I'm just checking, when Hope mraows pitifully at me then cheers up when I look at her and runs to the bedroom door and waits for me to follow her to her (full, she saw me fill it two hours ago) food bowl to ignore me and begin eating, she's just being an rear end in a top hat cat, right

Or are cats really that goddamn dumb

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Schroedinger's rear end in a top hat Cat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey. So the cat's vomiting a lot. I'm waiting for the vet to open up to schedule an appointment but she's vomited at least 5 times in the last 3 days. What's weird is that she's otherwise the same as ever and in fact eats really enthusiastically. We didn't think much of it the first couple of times since it's a thing that happens and she was eating and then being a spaz so we figured it was just her throwing up from the physical activity. But after having fed her just an hour ago she's already vomited twice. The food's hardly gotten digested at all and honestly while I'm not so worried about the vomiting and since her behavior seems ok I fear she's not getting enough to eat.

She's nearing 7 and she's been with us almost two years now. She eats Royale Canin (we're in France) +37 for neutered cats, though we may change it to their formula for 7+ years cats when that threshold is hit. She went to the vet earlier this summer for the general check up and he said she was fine. She weighs normally 3.8 kg. I should add her bowel movements have been fine and regular.

We're taking her in regardless, but I suppose I'm looking for otherwise some sort of peace of mind before hand. It's just weird, I figure if she were sick she wouldn't be so normal. Anyway here's hoping this is just a thing that happens and not something more serious.

Small update. Vet's closed till tomorrow. We've another guy nearby, though he's a creep and we don't like him, but if we don't feel like waiting we'll go there.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 22, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

So I'm just checking, when Hope mraows pitifully at me then cheers up when I look at her and runs to the bedroom door and waits for me to follow her to her (full, she saw me fill it two hours ago) food bowl to ignore me and begin eating, she's just being an rear end in a top hat cat, right

Or are cats really that goddamn dumb

Sounds like a modified version of Pet Me While I Eat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gorgar posted:

Oh gosh so that's a thing? Our cat does this constantly and I don't wonder if it'll develop into her only eating if we're present, which would be very frustrating to say the least.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey. So the cat's vomiting a lot. I'm waiting for the vet to open up to schedule an appointment but she's vomited at least 5 times in the last 3 days. What's weird is that she's otherwise the same as ever and in fact eats really enthusiastically. We didn't think much of it the first couple of times since it's a thing that happens and she was eating and then being a spaz so we figured it was just her throwing up from the physical activity. But after having fed her just an hour ago she's already vomited twice. The food's hardly gotten digested at all and honestly while I'm not so worried about the vomiting and since her behavior seems ok I fear she's not getting enough to eat.

She's nearing 7 and she's been with us almost two years now. She eats Royale Canin (we're in France) +37 for neutered cats, though we may change it to their formula for 7+ years cats when that threshold is hit. She went to the vet earlier this summer for the general check up and he said she was fine. She weighs normally 3.8 kg. I should add her bowel movements have been fine and regular.

We're taking her in regardless, but I suppose I'm looking for otherwise some sort of peace of mind before hand. It's just weird, I figure if she were sick she wouldn't be so normal. Anyway here's hoping this is just a thing that happens and not something more serious.

Small update. Vet's closed till tomorrow. We've another guy nearby, though he's a creep and we don't like him, but if we don't feel like waiting we'll go there.
I think you can wait for the appointment with your preferred vet, sounds like she might just be baby birding her food or eating too fast provided she's actually keeping the food in at some point.

disclaimer: IANAV

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also possible that she's got a hairball forming. Mineral oil, hairball remedies?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That would surprise me. She hasn't had a hairball this whole time and her kibble is supposed to somehow prevent those from forming. She's eaten since and kept it down so I'll see what happens later this afternoon. Thanks again for the peace of mind.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh gosh so that's a thing? Our cat does this constantly and I don't wonder if it'll develop into her only eating if we're present, which would be very frustrating to say the least.

I think in non-extreme cases, it's just a preference. The one I have doing it currently will eat without me, but I tend to indulge him when he asks. Makes him happy, you know?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

SynthOrange posted:

Sadly, I did not. :(

I had my phone somewhere else and was just looking for her inside the dark closet.

I will remember it for the next time, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nooooooooo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gorgar posted:

I think in non-extreme cases, it's just a preference. The one I have doing it currently will eat without me, but I tend to indulge him when he asks. Makes him happy, you know?

She'll eat without us, that much is clear but yeah definitely a preference. I had always heard that cats disliked being bothered while eating, so it came as a surprise when one of the few times she's truly approachable was when she was eating(she tends to steer clear when walking but if she's lying about we can approach her though she'll avoid other people).

In case anyone's wondering she's eaten the rest of her food and not thrown up at all so I guess she just likes stressing us out. As cats do.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Can I make up for it with a video?

https://youtu.be/G0AeLc9cMYs

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Datasmurf posted:

:neckbeard:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

All is forgiven :kimchi:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Datasmurf posted:

I SAW THE SHOE

GET IN THE SHOE

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Gorgar posted:

I've got bad cases of Watch Me While I Poop and Follow Me While I Look Out Windows

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Two of my cats have Pet Me While I Eat and I usually feed them in different rooms. One will just ignore her food without pets, and one will meow and follow me until I pet her. Luckily they just want a few pets to get started, but there's a lot of meowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My male has it and I want to do it but I swear to god he purrs so hard when I do I worry he's gonna choke to death.