Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BizarroAzrael posted:

That bit was amazing. I also really enjoy the way Toast/Berry says "Forscyth".

I didn't check the credits, was that pure CGI or CGI of a Impersonator on a ladies body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Freewheel posted:

Rapey Joe Stalin, psychologist.

Freewheel, spanner.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Paperhouse posted:

Vod is my favourite but speaking to people recently who have been watching it, they all seem to think she's the worst! She's not the worst :colbert:

I thought she was the worst for a while and then it suddenly clicked about halfway through series 2 and figured out she's fantastic

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I think, of all the terrible TV I've watched, this HAS to be the worst, because it earnestly believes in the poo poo it's producing. They genuinely think dressing up as Hitler to get into a ball mainly populated by right-wingers is the cutting edge of comedy.

This is the ad they keep showing on BBC3 so presumably it's their TOP bonkers wacky political windup! If I gave more of a gently caress I'd wonder whether those police reactions are authentic. Although wouldn't it have been great if they'd encountered Simon loving Harwood in his new job at those gates? They'd have been curb stomped.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Profanity posted:

Toast of London needs more love, tonight's episode was absolutely hilarious. Especially the line readings at the beginning.

It's brill. I've a flatmate who hates and I can't really explain why he's wrong. He obviously just doesn't have enough love for Matt Berry.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I didn't check the credits, was that pure CGI or CGI of a Impersonator on a ladies body?

I'm fairly sure it was a prosthetic? But I may be wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Either way it was nicely done.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Either way it was nicely done.

Yeah. Totally expected it to be the classic comedy thing where you only ever see her from the back and the comedy is in everyone's reactions and was very pleasantly surprised when she appeared later on.

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006
Finally watched The Revolution Will Be Televised. Wow. All the bad things I heard about it were right. All of their targets are soft.

When they do talk to the general public, they're just playing up being the things they hate the most, and the bit with the celebrities is just pathetic. Well done guys, Eva Longoria doesn't know how to solve global poverty. And?

I can't believe this poo poo won a BAFTA. It should be a barely successful youtube channel.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I don't understand why the BBC did The Revolution Will Be Televised when it already produces such a quantity of politically themed comedy in Andrew Neil's shows and Question Time.

On The Sunday Politics yesterday they pointed an honest camera at a woman on the street who said "imagine my grandad opening page 3, right, and there being my baps..."

You don't need to prank people on the street. Just let them open their mouths.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can always rely on interviews with the public to reinforce your belief in the non-worth of humanity.

I remember listening to a live vox-pop thing on Radio 1, back when they were proving that Primark was getting a lot of it's stuff from child labour in sweatshops. There were an awful lot of people who gave comments along the lines of "Well, if it means I can get t-shirts for a couple of quid, I don't care. I'll never meet them."

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

On the subject of Atlantis:

I cannot believe that, of all the Classical mythology the writers have to work with - the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Aenied and countless other pieces of lore - that by the third episode they were so out of ideas they had an entire episode about jumping over bulls.

The third episode.

The fourth episode was "Three Men and a Baby", but in Atlantis!!! They were so loving out od ideas four episodes into their high-fantasy Atlantis-based show they had a the gang ginds a mystery baby! episode.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Calico Heart posted:

On the subject of Atlantis:

I cannot believe that, of all the Classical mythology the writers have to work with - the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Aenied and countless other pieces of lore - that by the third episode they were so out of ideas they had an entire episode about jumping over bulls.

The third episode.

The fourth episode was "Three Men and a Baby", but in Atlantis!!! They were so loving out od ideas four episodes into their high-fantasy Atlantis-based show they had a the gang ginds a mystery baby! episode.

If memory serves I think the bulljumping stuff is part of the Jason canon. I admit I did have a good chuckle when I realised that episode 4 was adopting a cliche sitcom standard, but rather than being put off I saw it as a bit of cheeky fun.

I think this same argument can be made against Merlin, in which a very small proportion of episodes bothered to relate to anything in Arthurian legend. Nevertheless that show was great because of rather than in spite of its blatant disregard for mythological reenactment.

I understand everything that appears to be wrong with Atlantis and what a ridiculous approach it is towards the subject matter, and I still bloody love it. Using Hercules for puerile fart jokes just gets me on some meta level.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

onoflalks posted:

I couldn't get it through the iOS app or online until after the repeat early Saturday afternoon.

Oh yeah and the Americans are trying to ruin another one of are sitcoms, but at least it's not a really good one like Fresh Meat or something.

The only good thing about Bad Education is Fraser so without him I can't imagine it being that great. Bring him along though and I'll watch.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

sex pervert posted:

I don't understand why the BBC did The Revolution Will Be Televised when it already produces such a quantity of politically themed comedy in Andrew Neil's shows and Question Time.

On The Sunday Politics yesterday they pointed an honest camera at a woman on the street who said "imagine my grandad opening page 3, right, and there being my baps..."

You don't need to prank people on the street. Just let them open their mouths.

Remember when Charlie Brooker said on Newswipe that they couldn't use footage of Parliament because they were a comedy programme, but that Andrew Neil/This Week gets away with it all the time?

Yeah, that.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

goatface posted:

You can always rely on interviews with the public to reinforce your belief in the non-worth of humanity.

I remember listening to a live vox-pop thing on Radio 1, back when they were proving that Primark was getting a lot of it's stuff from child labour in sweatshops. There were an awful lot of people who gave comments along the lines of "Well, if it means I can get t-shirts for a couple of quid, I don't care. I'll never meet them."

Yeah, I'm guessing the old person-on-the-street interviews aren't used that much on telly precisely because there are so many people out there whose opinions leave you questioning what kind of species you are. I'd to sit and listen to two such on the bus one morning last week. One spoke at length about how she was boycotting Children in Need this year because all that money goes to foreigners while the other explained her nifty idea of rounding up - these people are obsessed with the rounding up - all the homeless people in Edinburgh because she reckoned they ruined the look of the place. That very day I invested in backup headphones lest I ever again leave the house without a pair.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Calico Heart posted:

But that was literally the beginning of the Oedipus story, with a slight detour through Three Men and a Baby. They used all the proper names and everything.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Matt Berry makes me want to adopt bizarre affectations that I'll never be able to pull off, I want to say "casual" in about 5 syllables and make it last 10 seconds.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Toast of London is pretty watchable actually, even if not laugh out loud funny. And I'm fairly sure most of Matt Berry's comic talent is derived from his ability to say words in disjointed ways.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Royality posted:

Toast of London is pretty watchable actually, even if not laugh out loud funny. And I'm fairly sure most of Matt Berry's comic talent is derived from his ability to say words in disjointed ways.

I'm loving it. I imagine it'll be like Snuff Box for me - not the greatest comedy ever but there's something hypnotic about it that means if I want to watch one sketch I'll end up watching the entire series end-to-end. Also anything else with East-End-Gangster in it.

I figured in Snuff Box a lot of the smuttier jokes would be Fulcher's but from Toast it appears not!

Also, love the constant stream of comedy names leading up to "Benedict Cumberpatch's balls in the palm of my hand" "Who?"

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 13, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Ian Beale in a van in a quarry.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fatkraken posted:

Remember, we can't discuss Eastenders, because it already peaked with Phil Mitchell Crack Addict.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Oben posted:

But that was literally the beginning of the Oedipus story, with a slight detour through Three Men and a Baby. They used all the proper names and everything.

No, you're right, it was the beginning of the Oedipus story, but the episode was doing "Three Men and a Baby" with a slight detour of "the clumsiest 'tell the girl how i feel'" scene ever filmed.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity is there like a counter somewhere online for EastEnders listing the number of times character have been struck by lightning or had amnesia or something?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Someone in EastEnders got struck by lightning?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So did anyone else watch that murder thing with David Tennant? The Escape Artist? Think it might have been better as two rather than three episodes, as it started to meander a bit, but still really quite compelling most of the time. Liked the little dark humour bit at the end where Burton is all "unless the body was cremated" and then it cuts to the lady holding the urn. The actor playing the killer was really convincing. And Tennant is always good at the tortured soul thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

RE Toast Of London, the Laxadaisy logo was hilarious I have to say.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
That Cold War Britain programme that was on last night was proper poo poo, it had an incredibly smug presenter who started off blathering about the importance of a football game for 15 minutes before having a wank over Orwell and showing stock footage of university students lazing around to represent cold war era marxists. I watched it with my mum and dad who spent most of it looking baffled and saying they didn't recognise any of this.

Just once I would like to hear someone say something on the telly about Soviet Russia without quoting something, looking dramatic and saying "THAT MAN... WAS GEORGE ORWELL" like a stdh story

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Who was the mentally ill person on Buzzcocks? I can't figure it out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Padje posted:

Who was the mentally ill person on Buzzcocks? I can't figure it out.

Huey Morgan, DJ and frontman of the Fun Loving Criminals. He smashed a mug which is in the DSMV.

McDragon posted:

So did anyone else watch that murder thing with David Tennant? The Escape Artist? Think it might have been better as two rather than three episodes, as it started to meander a bit, but still really quite compelling most of the time. Liked the little dark humour bit at the end where Burton is all "unless the body was cremated" and then it cuts to the lady holding the urn. The actor playing the killer was really convincing. And Tennant is always good at the tortured soul thing.

I skipped it precisely because I am so sick of seeing Tennant do that thing.
Also I tried to watch Mark Lawson Talks to... yesterday and it was really bad. Its set and opening are all archly-pretentious but the show itself is Mark at his obsequious best letting Steve Coogan advertise his latest movie. Also whenever he nods you can watch the waves bound and rebound through his wattle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Just once I would like to hear someone say something on the telly about Soviet Russia without quoting something, looking dramatic and saying "THAT MAN... WAS GEORGE ORWELL" like a stdh story

Just watch World at War. 26 hours of Laurence Olivier espousing the dogma of "NEVER GET INTO A WAR WITH RUSSIANS, BECAUSE RUSSIANS WILL WIN".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

McDragon posted:

So did anyone else watch that murder thing with David Tennant? The Escape Artist? Think it might have been better as two rather than three episodes, as it started to meander a bit, but still really quite compelling most of the time.

I watched episode 1 and turned it off when I couldn't stop shouting "why are you going back to the isolated cottage in the middle of nowhere when you're fully aware that there's a nutter on the loose?"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The first episode of Toast of London is the funniest thing I've seen in ages, and the Bruce Forsythe lookalike girl had me in absolute stitches. Can't wait to watch the rest.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Fatkraken posted:

did this actually happen? Has Eastenders finally crossed the line of full on bizarre?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Toast of London is just so beautifully absurd and silly, I can't stop giggling throughout the whole thing. I haven't done that in years with a comedy.

Matt Berry is a national treasure.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

did this actually happen? Has Eastenders finally crossed the line of full on bizarre?

He was kidnapped by Phil Mitchell (former) Crack Addict.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

That's quite an arc for Ian Beale. Why's he in a van in a quarry? I think I've had a couple of low points in the last year or so when I've watched Eastenders. Wasn't it about a year ago that he was so destitute that he was doing a dejected face and wearing a woolly hat at all times? And then I think I checked in about 6 months ago and he was starting a restaurant or some bollocks. I wasn't so interested in him that time because there was a much funnier story line where the silver puffy coat woman's son was involved with a scary gang and the scenes where the lad was getting bullied came across as incredibly homoerotic. And it couldn't just have been my mind. Could it? I mean if I remember correctly all that was missing from some of the lines the lead scary hoody badboy came out with was pursed lips and cheeky wink. Still, you'd think they'd give our Ian an easier time of it. Imagine a whole working life spent on Eastenders :smith:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fatkraken posted:

It's still better than living in a van down by the river, eating a steady diet of government cheese.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I suppose they have to do something. Corrie is miles ahead in Yewtree allegations.

Oh the Tudor Monastary farm last night was a bit of a let down. May need to watch it again with my concentration hat on.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trickjaw posted:

I suppose they have to do something. Corrie is miles ahead in Yewtree allegations.

The British Soap Awards are presented along with a court summons these days.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

For reals. Kidnapped by Phil Mitchell, because he was going to give evidence that Max had tried to kill Some Guy I don't recognize because I haven't watched in like a year, but Max didn't do it (maybe) and Ian was being intimidated by Some Guy. The court threw out the entire case on the spot on the strength of Ian not showing up because obviously witness intimidation isn't a thing in a loving attempted murder trial nor is being delayed in traffic or any other reason you might not turn up as a witness at a trial.

What I'm saying is Eastenders is amazing, realistic and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

For reals. Kidnapped by Phil Mitchell, because he was going to give evidence that Max had tried to kill Some Guy I don't recognize because I haven't watched in like a year, but Max didn't do it (maybe) and Ian was being intimidated by Some Guy. The court threw out the entire case on the spot on the strength of Ian not showing up because obviously witness intimidation isn't a thing in a loving attempted murder trial nor is being delayed in traffic or any other reason you might not turn up as a witness at a trial.

What I'm saying is Eastenders is amazing, realistic and awesome.

So you're saying we need to go buy crack pipes?