Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I enjoyed Maledictions but I thought The Wicked and the Damned had better horror stories.

Oof. I thought Wicked and the Damned was serviceable, but other than ‘Woman in the Walls,' I didn't think of the stories as being what I would consider horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Finishing up Galaxy in Flames now. Ben Counter is Ben Counter but it's mostly tolerable. The parts with Lucius are funnier if I imagine that he got sent to die on Isstvan III not because he was particularly loyal to the Emperor but because literally no one in his legion could stand his rear end.

Also kinda cringed at the part where Counter forgot that Iacton Qruz fought on Earth during the Unification Wars and had him be from Cthonia instead. What about my immersion Ben :spergin:

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oof. I thought Wicked and the Damned was serviceable, but other than ‘Woman in the Walls,' I didn't think of the stories as being what I would consider horror.

They all pretty much play off the tired themes of horror. The one you chose probably the strongest since unlike the other two, the theme isn't played up as frequently in WH40K, I don't think.

Though none of the stories of madness, vengeful ghost, and monster were executed well enough to really stand out for this universe. Ended up being on par with the 20 minute audio dramas by and large.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished Legion.

:sbahj:

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Just finished Legion.

:sbahj:

Legion was great. Really added a real sense of depth to the HH beyond the first trilogy. Abnett does such an amazing job of setting his stamp on 30K, with the Lucifer Blacks, Geno troops and obviously the Alpha Legion themselves. Problem is no one else comes close in writing them, so they sound really gimmicky, bordering on retarded otherwise. That being said, John French did a pretty good job in Praetorians of Dorn all things considered.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally finished a re-read of Inquisition War and something happened in the ending that I didn't notice the first time:

Jaq's Daemon card from the tarot is still impregnated with the image of Tzeentch, which is presumably how a Lord of Change got into the webway and into Jaq. Presumably, this is also how Meh'Lindi didn't escape to the sea of souls - Watson spent some time establishing that posession parallel.

Then the whole conversation between Lex and Grimm also seems to be intended to focus the reader on that puzzle.

Also I had completely forgotten about Magnus the Red's cameo appearance, which made me smile to read.

I love that the finer details of the ending are left open, but it's also a completely natural endpoint. It all seemed much more inevitable than abrupt on a second read, and the foreshadowing was much thicker than I thought.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Its really open to interpretation. I view it as he wasn't actually possessed, he just realized that A) he got so far off of his goal that even trying to get back to stopping the Chaos Child's birth could cause it to come forth, and B) that he managed to critically fail at reviving Meh'Linda, and he was too prideful to admit he failed, so he committed suicide-by-Space Marine

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think this is the best place to ask, tell me if I'm wrong: what are the best youtube channels to watch/listen to for Warhammer 40k lore dumps? You know the type, two hour long videos about the history of the Imperium of Man or somesuch. Which ones are the best? What should I avoid?

I want some stuff to listen to while I play games and they'll go nicely with how I'm finally cracking open Horus Rising.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avoid Arch Warhammer because he's a nazi and one of those "feminists are ruining my wargames" piss babies. Also because my online handle of Arc Hammer keeps mixing people up making them think I'm him.

Subscribe to Richard Boyland and watch his film adaptation of Helsreach. Watch Chapter Master Valrak for tabletop and lore videos. Templin Institute is a more general SF channel that does multiverse breakdowns of various factions and societies in various franchises. There's also Vaults of Terra for specific 40k material but I don't know if they're still active.

Comedy option: Subscribe to Alfabusa for accurate fluff summaries couched in nonsense, fan films and stick puppets.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 27, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Avoid Arch Warhammer because he's a nazi and one of those "feminists are ruining my wargames" piss babies. Also because my online handle of Arc Hammer keeps mixing people up making them think I'm him.

Subscribe to Richard Boyland and watch his film adaptation of Helsreach. Watch Chapter Master Valrak for tabletop and lore videos. Templin Institute is a more general SF channel that does multiverse breakdowns of various factions and societies in various franchises. There's also Vaults of Terra for specific 40k material but I don't know if they're still active.

Comedy option: Subscribe to Alfabusa for accurate fluff summaries couched in nonsense, fan films and stick puppets.

Perfect, thank you. After a recent thread in Trad Games I was a little hesitant to pick 'em at random due to the sneakiness of Nazis, and lo, I was right. Removed Arch Warhammer from my video history and I'll check out the rest you mentioned, thanks!

Any opinions on the Exploring Series guy? I've been watching him for SCP stuff, and just realized he's got Warhammer stuff as well.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also Arch Warhammer's grasp on lore is honestly laughable. Dude has bad politics and can't even tell the story properly so there's zero reason to watch his videos

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In a stroke of weird, the fascists into warhammer get all hung up on the aesthetics of the setting and not the actual message behind it. I have genuinely had one tell me that my objection to his reading is that in the 41st millenium I'd be a servitor while he'd be a "glorious Astartes".

After I pointed out that he just publicly aspired to being a castrated eternal manbaby he took his ball and went home.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Also Arch Warhammer's grasp on lore is honestly laughable. Dude has bad politics and can't even tell the story properly so there's zero reason to watch his videos

I haven't seen enough of him to know one way or the other - I was just searching for "horus heresy lore" yesterday so I could listen to someone ramble about the book I was reading while I did other things, and his was the first result on the search.

Arquinsiel posted:

In a stroke of weird, the fascists into warhammer get all hung up on the aesthetics of the setting and not the actual message behind it. I have genuinely had one tell me that my objection to his reading is that in the 41st millenium I'd be a servitor while he'd be a "glorious Astartes".

After I pointed out that he just publicly aspired to being a castrated eternal manbaby he took his ball and went home.

Bless.

e: How's Luetin09? He's the original dude I was talking about, with multiple hour long videos on the Imperium of Man.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 27, 2019

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't seen enough of him to know one way or the other - I was just searching for "horus heresy lore" yesterday so I could listen to someone ramble about the book I was reading while I did other things, and his was the first result on the search.

Bless.

e: How's Luetin09? He's the original dude I was talking about, with multiple hour long videos on the Imperium of Man.

I've like his videos along with Oculus imperia so far they have not milkshake ducked.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The Solar War was really good. Was nice to see my main man Ahriman out and about.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought they were all pretty good. There was a much greater focus on the protagonist's internal struggles - it was very clear that these were all ordinary human beings with their limitations and weaknesses, stuck in a brutally unforgiving universe. And in each story, as well as the physical horror, there was also a psychological aspect: The commissar driven mad by isolation and endless deployment but completely unable to see it, the officer gradually mentally disintegrating as she has to deal with not just being chased by a pissed-off ghost but also with her guilt and her superior's increasingly open suspicions of her and a priest who ultimately abandons the woman he loves to a hungry chaos spawn (but feels really bad about it afterwards, ok?)

I hope experimenting with different literary genres becomes a thing for the BL! I look forward to reading a gritty social realist novel set on a hive world, or perhaps some chick lit where a spunky young admin temp has to negotiate her way up the Administratum career ladder without getting mindwiped or executed, while also trying to decide whether her dashing noble suitor genuinely loves her, or is just just angling to harvest her adrenal glands to make cocktail mixers.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I hope experimenting with different literary genres becomes a thing for the BL! I look forward to reading a gritty social realist novel set on a hive world, or perhaps some chick lit where a spunky young admin temp has to negotiate her way up the Administratum career ladder without getting mindwiped or executed, while also trying to decide whether her dashing noble suitor genuinely loves her, or is just just angling to harvest her adrenal glands to make cocktail mixers.

Office Space 40k.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I thought they were all pretty good. There was a much greater focus on the protagonist's internal struggles - it was very clear that these were all ordinary human beings with their limitations and weaknesses, stuck in a brutally unforgiving universe. And in each story, as well as the physical horror, there was also a psychological aspect: The commissar driven mad by isolation and endless deployment but completely unable to see it, the officer gradually mentally disintegrating as she has to deal with not just being chased by a pissed-off ghost but also with her guilt and her superior's increasingly open suspicions of her and a priest who ultimately abandons the woman he loves to a hungry chaos spawn (but feels really bad about it afterwards, ok?)

I think we saw these a little differently. The commissar was already insane - he was killing animals as a kid. The officer was a ganger scumbag who wasn't feeling guilt, just fear that her actions were actually going to have actual repercussions this time. And the priest was just selfish - again, he didn't feel any guilt for his actions, and was constantly justifying them by saying "You would have done the same thing!"

All in all, I thought they were mediocre, serviceable stories. I've read the first two stories in the Maledictions and feel the same way about those so far. It could be that I'm a bit jaded in the realization that the Warhammer universe as a whole is a truly awful place for everyone involved, but with the exception of the second story in Wicked and the Damned none of the stories have really evoked a sense of dread or horror in me.

"The Widow Tide" in Maledictions is especially frustrating to me because it had promise but had the terrible non-horror ending of the Deepkin stealing the soul of the main character for no particular literary reason. It was just a typical Warhammer story that could have been in any collection.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's kind of the problem with GW's general tone. How exactly do you ratchet up the horror when it's already at 11?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That's kind of the problem with GW's general tone. How exactly do you ratchet up the horror when it's already at 11?

Exactly. If you're not a Space Marine/Stormcast, every waking moment of your day is pure, unadulterated horror. It's overbearing to the point where it gets blase.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dog_Meat posted:

Office Space 40k.

Sandy Mitchell did something along those lines for the first Sabbat Worlds anthology, following around an administratum scribe assigned to the vervunhive reconstruction effort as he tries to track down missing peoples and supplies.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Arquinsiel posted:

You make it about more ordinary people, I guess. For a Space Marine faced with a hideous demon in an isolated space station, it's just Tuesday: he hits it with a big sparking hammer and moves on. For a cowardly priest who really doesn't want to be there in the 1st place, it's a rather different experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

You make it about more ordinary people, I guess. For a Space Marine faced with a hideous demon in an isolated space station, it's just Tuesday: he hits it with a big sparking hammer and moves on. For a cowardly priest who really doesn't want to be there in the 1st place, it's a rather different experience.

Going off on this, I'd be interested in seeing more fiction focusing on Genestealer invasions. That seems ripe for terror and paranoia from the right POV, as well as domestic 40k stuff - at least before it erupts into bloody violence.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
I mean, that was really my whole problem with Maledictions, save for a few stories. The Sigmar sewer one, the dark eldar and inquisitor acolyte, and the sisters of silence were really the only ones that seemed to make anything remotely spooky. Everything else just struck me as "yeah, that's grimdark as heck."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pistol_Pete posted:

Like the Imperial Guard? The Eisenhower/Ravenor books? The majority of the old Warhammer Fantasy stuff was that. Even Gotrek and Felix was some squishy nerd watching a murderdwarf's slow apotheosis into Grudge God 2.0: the revengening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dear Dan Abnett: having a character literally say "in the far future, there will be only war" is a little too cheeky

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Valatharl flicked the catch on his etho-lamp. "Terra," he said. "This darkness sure is grim!"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

On another note, as I'm listening to all of this lore stuff, I decided to go find out if any of the books cover the history of the Old Ones / Necron / early Eldar - and lo. There is one novel.

It's by CS Goto. :negative:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

On another note, as I'm listening to all of this lore stuff, I decided to go find out if any of the books cover the history of the Old Ones / Necron / early Eldar - and lo. There is one novel.

It's by CS Goto. :negative:

Watch the Text-to-speech device history episode in youtube instead.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Going off on this, I'd be interested in seeing more fiction focusing on Genestealer invasions. That seems ripe for terror and paranoia from the right POV, as well as domestic 40k stuff - at least before it erupts into bloody violence.

Might like Deathwatch by Steve Parker. Like a fifth of the book dealt with an Inquisition spy investigating and coming onto the Genestealer cult. But did have a few unsettling bits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sandy Mitchell did something along those lines for the first Sabbat Worlds anthology, following around an administratum scribe assigned to the vervunhive reconstruction effort as he tries to track down missing peoples and supplies.

Which was pretty much him just rewritting The Third Man to be in 40k instead of post-war Berlin.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Watch the Text-to-speech device history episode in youtube instead.

Do not do this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what some of you guys have against the Text-To-Speech series. It's certainly less dour and depressing than a lot of 40K lore material.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh man, I did not expect some actual horror out of the Horus Heresy #1 aside from, y'know, the creeping dread of what's coming for these space marines. But no: it is really creepy watching a space marine go insane thanks to chaos, and these guys have no experience with what to do with this. I kind of love this angle a lot?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know what some of you guys have against the Text-To-Speech series. It's certainly less dour and depressing than a lot of 40K lore material.

Because it treats the source material with as much reverence and seriousness as it deserves.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's extremely cringe and as the divinely appointed Arbiter of Taste I declare it bad

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Someone doesn't like light hearted humor about their serious space mans books.

I take both 1d4chan and TTS with the light heartedness I feel they require. There are definitely cringey moments but overall, its something to keep us entertained.

[edit] I type bad

[edit 2] - Also, where can I read about Calgar getting his rear end kicked by Abbadon?

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2019

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you read the short story Elucidium by Simon Spurrier? It's from one of the first anthology books, What Price Victory. It has everything, an inquisitor, genestealer uprising etc. Some of the best prose i've read from a BL author outside of the usual big names.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

[edit 2] - Also, where can I read about Calgar getting his rear end kicked by Abbadon?

Imperium Nihilus: Vigilus Ablaze, the second Vigilus campaign book I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Might like Deathwatch by Steve Parker. Like a fifth of the book dealt with an Inquisition spy investigating and coming onto the Genestealer cult. But did have a few unsettling bits.

ed balls balls man posted:

Have you read the short story Elucidium by Simon Spurrier? It's from one of the first anthology books, What Price Victory. It has everything, an inquisitor, genestealer uprising etc. Some of the best prose i've read from a BL author outside of the usual big names.

I've read part of Lords of the Night and need to finish the whole thing so I do know I adore Spurrier's prose. I've put this short story and Deathwatch into my fledgling spreadsheet of "40k novels I should obtain", thanks!

Now here's an actual question: if the Nightlords are a ragtag group of evil dudes who cannot replenish their ranks or fix their equipment and so on, what's keeping the Imperium from wiping them out through attrition? Is this situation the same for the rest of the Chaos Marine legions? If this question is answered in ADB's Nightlords trilogy, tell me so I can go and actually finish it. (I bought Lords of the Night + Nightlords and read like a hundred pages from each before the great chaos of my ADHD decreed it was time to read something else.)