Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't ride trains all that often, but I would imagine the occasional shaking/bumping of the cars would drive a painter crazy.

To be fair, he is in a country that is not the US, so I image public transportation would work much better.

I can't wait until my business trip ends. I'm thinking of trying out some lists with Harlequins allied with Wrath heavy eldar. T6 troop! T3 elites! Cats and dogs living together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

True story the riptide is actually one of the things that stopped me from playing Tau

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
How stupid is the theory that this url not bringing up a 404 page is proof that plastic Horus Heresy is coming? http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Horus-Heresy

Dumb troll or just dumb?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

panascope posted:

Those of you playing Necrons: what formations are you finding the most useful? Which have been goose eggs?

The Judicator Battalion is middling- it's got good units in it, but they combine awkwardly. Remember that dedicated transports also benefit from the rules of the formation.

Destroyer Cult has a really strong bonus, but it's a big investment. It tears MEQs and MCs to pieces, though, and can do quite a number on vehicles as well. The hardest part is finding a place to put the Destroyer Lord.

Deathbringer Flight is pretty weak. The Doom Scythe isn't a great unit to start (since they nerfed its gun so hard) and the bonuses, while nice, are too situational.

Living Tomb wants you to hold 900+pts of units in reserve. Don't do this. Don't use it.

Annihilation Nexus is two pretty good units with a bonus that doesn't matter at all. The range is just too short for the effect, and the guns on the two vehicles are vastly different ranges themselves, making it highly unlikely you'll ever see it trigger.

Canoptek Harvest is fairly strong. It's pretty easy to take away the bonus by killing the Spyder and/or getting the Wraiths out of range, but both Spyder and Wraiths are quite strong even by themselves and Scarabs are sorta passable. There are two interpretations of how the ability works (continuous bubble vs. activated/persistent), with the latter making the formation significantly stronger.

Royal Court is bad. There's just no real reason to bother with it, since it really forces you to take a lot of stuff and gives no meaningful bonuses. It's especially bad when taken in a Decurion.

Conclave of the Burning One (from the Mephrit supplement bit) is gimmicky, but potentially pretty strong.

Boon posted:

Has anyone seen the Archon WWP tactic used in their scene? Presumably with a Wave Serpent and Fire Dragon squad, possibly with a Spiritseer? Similarly, has anyone seen that Tantalus idea I posted about earlier?

How effective has it been? I'm trying to decide between 4 or 5 NOVA lists to play test, and I'd like to narrow that down to 3 before I get going.

Never seen the Tantalus used- it seems too expensive for what you get out of it- but WWP shenanigans can be pretty strong. There's basically two ways to do it- inside a Raider and inside a Serpent. From a Serpent, you DS the whole thing as normal and then disembark the Fire Dragons/Wraithguard separately from the Archon so that they can make use of Battle Focus and get around Ion Shields and the like. For the Raider version, you place the chassis such that one end is in one facing of the Knight and the other end is in a different facing- then, whichever side they put the Shield on, you use Open-Topped to shoot from the other one. (Obviously these are Knight-specific tactics, but apart from that sort of thing there's not a ton to be said about the WWP- you show up, kill some dudes, and probably die soon after. It's good at what it does, but there's not a lot to it.)

For DE, the WWP is all but a necessity; for Eldar, I think they have better allies available than their kin, but if you're dead-set on using them together then there's no real reason not to take advantage of the combo.

Moola posted:

list chat is the worst loving thing in the universe

Yeah, I really hate when people talk about the game of Warhammer 40,000. More price complaints and bitching about all the bitching in the thread, I say! In fact, we should make it bannable to discuss 40K in this thread.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

How stupid is the theory that this url not bringing up a 404 page is proof that plastic Horus Heresy is coming? http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Horus-Heresy

Dumb troll or just dumb?

Are people falling for it?

If they are, then he's succeeded in his attempt to troll.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Are people falling for it?

If they are, then he's succeeded in his attempt to troll.

Not knowing how the shittily designed GW site works, I dunno, it seems possibly plausible...I tried some other random urls like The-Hobbit-Always-Rings-Twice and The-The and they bring up a 404 page.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think 'The Horus Heresy' is a common enough term in the GW universe that even if there is a planned product called 'The Horus Heresy' there is no guarantee it is plastic 30k figures.

Get ready for a lovely Talisman remake.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

Apparently it originated in Poland. They are dedicated mother fuckers to the hams. I remember some Polish GW store manager painted an entire Blood Angels chapter on his train to and from work.
The dedication I can confirm. A dude in our Infinity community once assembled and (speed)painted a full-size tournament army in 2 days just because he wanted to gently caress over the people who expected him to field an entirely different faction in a tournament.
Assembling terrain on a bus, that happened too. But painting on a train? Someone clearly hasn't been on a train ride in Poland.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, I really hate when people talk about the game of Warhammer 40,000. More price complaints and bitching about all the bitching in the thread, I say! In fact, we should make it bannable to discuss 40K in this thread.

:agreed:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always speculated that if they finally updated all their books they’d have time to squeeze in something new. Not to mention my recent meltdown about 30k’s format looking more like what the parent company is famous for.

Sure it's all anecdotal and it might be a major troll, but with all the rumors I’m starting to feel its true at some level.

Why GW can’t just announce products and build hype around them I will never know.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AbusePuppy posted:

Never seen the Tantalus used- it seems too expensive for what you get out of it- but WWP shenanigans can be pretty strong. There's basically two ways to do it- inside a Raider and inside a Serpent. From a Serpent, you DS the whole thing as normal and then disembark the Fire Dragons/Wraithguard separately from the Archon so that they can make use of Battle Focus and get around Ion Shields and the like. For the Raider version, you place the chassis such that one end is in one facing of the Knight and the other end is in a different facing- then, whichever side they put the Shield on, you use Open-Topped to shoot from the other one. (Obviously these are Knight-specific tactics, but apart from that sort of thing there's not a ton to be said about the WWP- you show up, kill some dudes, and probably die soon after. It's good at what it does, but there's not a lot to it.)

For DE, the WWP is all but a necessity; for Eldar, I think they have better allies available than their kin, but if you're dead-set on using them together then there's no real reason not to take advantage of the combo.

Yeah, I've never actually seen an ally that benefited Eldar more than just using more Eldar. Situationally powerful, sure. For an all-comers though, straight Eldar is simply the best option.

That said, I've been debating combining the WWP and Tantalus. 370 points for an Archon, Tantalus, and 5 Warriors. Then throw Feugan and some Fire Dragons on it. That gets you an accurately deep-striking unit which is capable of killing two tanks and a mass of high-end infantry in one turn. The vehicle itself is exceptionally good at tank-shocking, if it Jinks, it can move flat-out next turn over a unit doing d6 Str 7 AP 2 attacks, and is also surprisingly durable with a 3+ cover save on a Jink with 5 HP and a 5++ in case the attack ignores cover.

It's tough to defend against, but it is expensive.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

spacegoat posted:

*pushes glasses up nose*
drat retards not wanting a convoluted barrier of entry into MY game.
*faaaaaarrrrrrts*

I have never had a panic attack in my life, but it happened when I tried to introduce my friend to 40k. We drink whiskey, listen to blues, chase women, and get harassed by the fuzz together, I set up a tiny practice game for us while still in the nerd mindset that 40k is "simple." Reality and sobriety hit my brain as I tried to explain all the caveats in the rules without an extended monologue and I lost it. I was a stuttering, sweaty mess trying to explain how this mess of a game that costs as much as a new car is "fun." Advocating 40k is like being a defense lawyer that knows his murder defendant is so guilty he has his ex-wife's head in a jar.

Friends don't let friends drink and drive play 40k. I realized later how I could set it up in a simple, straight-forward way but I have never attempted that again, though my fiancee did express some interest in it (just like she expressed interest in not being a self-destructive maniac).

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Hey all. I took a years-long break from this game to focus on school and life and stuff and now I have more free time and money and I'm interested in diving back in. I have a question.

So, I have some Imperial Guard, Ork, and Chaos stuff. I like all three armies thematically. My question is... which one is the cheapest to get into? Last I played troop transports were very important and I don't think I can afford a bunch of guardsman in chimeras (I played a gunline... is that viable right now?) or orks in trukks. Chaos I could do: one or two rhinos isn't a huge investment.

I see a lot of new, expensive, and very large models like airships and giant mechs... are these especially mandatory for a competitive list? I mostly play for fun and won't mind playing a sub-par army but I'd like to at least have a bit of a chance to win friendly games without dropping over a hundred bucks on a single model.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

I always speculated that if they finally updated all their books they’d have time to squeeze in something new. Not to mention my recent meltdown about 30k’s format looking more like what the parent company is famous for.

Sure it's all anecdotal and it might be a major troll, but with all the rumors I’m starting to feel its true at some level.

Why GW can’t just announce products and build hype around them I will never know.

Maybe when this whole LoTR/Hobbit thing goes away they will have that kind of flexibility again.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Hey all. I took a years-long break from this game to focus on school and life and stuff and now I have more free time and money and I'm interested in diving back in. I have a question.

So, I have some Imperial Guard, Ork, and Chaos stuff. I like all three armies thematically. My question is... which one is the cheapest to get into? Last I played troop transports were very important and I don't think I can afford a bunch of guardsman in chimeras (I played a gunline... is that viable right now?) or orks in trukks. Chaos I could do: one or two rhinos isn't a huge investment.

I see a lot of new, expensive, and very large models like airships and giant mechs... are these especially mandatory for a competitive list? I mostly play for fun and won't mind playing a sub-par army but I'd like to at least have a bit of a chance to win friendly games without dropping over a hundred bucks on a single model.

Orks and guard both have high model counts so tend to be more expensive over
All.

Chaos are ok but they have the oldest codex now and it's showing its age. Still can be very viable especially if you're playing nurgle.

Gunlines are totally viable especially for guard.

Having flyers in your army isn't mandatory but you generally want to some form of anti air defence.

And yeah for the last year and a half Gw has been making big kits. The imperial knight is pretty great and easy to slot in alongside a guard army.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Omar, the key to enjoying 40k is playing 40k In 40 Minutes also known as Combat Patrol and drinking beer.

It's a dumb game, enjoy it in the same fashion as you would gather friends and watch a stupid movie like Zaat.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the replies! I have tons of guardsmen and orks so I'll gather them up and see what I can work with. Those new stormtroopers for guard are incredible. So glad they got a new kit.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have never had a panic attack in my life, but it happened when I tried to introduce my friend to 40k

My first game of 40k was me trying to teach my friend how to play while learning how to play. For his part, my friend didn't bother to learn any rules, know any of his army's stats/rules, or write his own army list.

Mind you, he was the one who convinced me to get into 40k.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 3, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

LordAba posted:

Nope. 6" + 6" = 12" 12" charge + 12" = 24". You start over 24" away. Basic math.

EDIT: If you place the scarabs before moving them you would gain ~3", which means you would need a ~9" charge. Not what I consider pretty easy. Considering how easy it is to see coming it wouldn't work more than once.

Sorry this is really hard to explain without pictures. Sorry for the link, I did try and write this out several times but it's just like super involved. Basically you only have to create the 1 Scarab within the 2" of the original Scarab unit then you can add to that Scarab because Spyders can move then add, they can add the scarabs behind them.

Here's another post I made that explains it. Sorry for the image quality. I hope this explains it.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1110/633321.page#7599794

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 27, 2015

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Conversely I taught a mate to play Epic last week (while relearning the rules myself) and after about a half hour we were fluent. Any questions we had were answered in either the relevant rules section or the FAQ.

It was surreal, especially since after ten or so games with the same mates playing 40K, they still have little to no clue on the finer points and are always pulling up their books/charts for things.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I've introduced friends to 40k I usually get a pair of them. Give them each a simple 500 point force, explain what the guys do in basic terms; these guys are space marines, they've got tough armour and machine guns, this one has a flamethrower. Then I run them through a few turns, explaining things where I need to but leaving out the minutiae of the mechanics. If they're interested after that I'll lend me a rule book.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

(Just tried posting this but my computer screwed up or something)

Bought some more Shining Spears. I've used them many times, they are one of the units that really drew me in to playing Eldar, but they have almost always disappointed on the table. I have thought that using them in a full squad of 9 may be an answer though. Still not something I'd take to a tournament, but workable. So now I have 12, I figure I could always use 9 + 3, or try using multiple small, disposable units of 3. I am making a slight change to the models by using fantasy Dark Elf lances rather than the stubby laser lances the kit comes with. Looks good on the 2 test models I've done, but converting the hands to the eldar arms is going to get old pretty fast!

I also picked up some of the new Harlequin Skyweavers and a Starweaver. Will convert in both cases using eldar/DE bits, to get that corsair look. I just find the idea of an Eldar raiding force, all kinds of jetbikers, vypers, and a few open top vehicles very appealing, and the Starweaver chassis fits a lot better with the Eldar look than Raiders (Venoms are alright but not quite as apt). Unfortunately that kind of light, mobile, fragile troop is not very good in-game, with a few exceptions. So I am planning to build up a sort of friendly-game Eldar force that looks awesome, to go alongside my 'all grav-tanks all the time' usual army which I'm sure is super boring to play against.

I've said this many times before but I wish FW would update their loving Eldar Corsairs army list. Such a cool idea (as most FW army lists are) poorly balanced in the first place and then immediately outdated by changes in GW rules and/or more recent IA rules for some of the models.

People get so hung up on what is best that they forget how to have fun. Who cares if they're not optimal? If you want freaking jousting elves on jetbikes loving use them and enjoy it even if they crash in a ball of fire every game.

Play and build what you like

Unless you're doing a tourney. Then again those lists are always about min/max

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Boon posted:

Yeah, I've never actually seen an ally that benefited Eldar more than just using more Eldar. Situationally powerful, sure. For an all-comers though, straight Eldar is simply the best option.

That said, I've been debating combining the WWP and Tantalus. 370 points for an Archon, Tantalus, and 5 Warriors. Then throw Feugan and some Fire Dragons on it. That gets you an accurately deep-striking unit which is capable of killing two tanks and a mass of high-end infantry in one turn. The vehicle itself is exceptionally good at tank-shocking, if it Jinks, it can move flat-out next turn over a unit doing d6 Str 7 AP 2 attacks, and is also surprisingly durable with a 3+ cover save on a Jink with 5 HP and a 5++ in case the attack ignores cover.

Are you doing the Narrative of the GT?

And bring the Tantalus. No one will have ever seen one and it will be ten different kinds of awesome. And I'm sure a Boon-painted Tantalus is gonna look amazing.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

krushgroove posted:

Not knowing how the shittily designed GW site works, I dunno, it seems possibly plausible...I tried some other random urls like The-Hobbit-Always-Rings-Twice and The-The and they bring up a 404 page.

It's bringing up a 404 page for me now :omarcomin:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You know what this franchise really needs? A MOBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdpEwovrsg

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Are ork looted wagons still a thing? my leman russ was my favorite thing in my ork army.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm kinda in the same boat, getting back into the hobby. I have a load of chaos infantry and that's about it.

Seeing all those tourney lists that are like 2x 5 man troops then all knights and planes is making me feel like Im not prepared for the meta at all. Also I didn't see a single csm list which is a little worrying!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

You know what this franchise really needs? A MOBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdpEwovrsg

At least the ork looks like it's having fun.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Are ork looted wagons still a thing? my leman russ was my favorite thing in my ork army.

Yup. They're a White Dwarf exclusive, but easily found online. Dirt-cheap cannon platform, basically.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Omar al-Bishie posted:

There were rules for looted wagons printed on an issue of white dwarf last year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

field balm posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat, getting back into the hobby. I have a load of chaos infantry and that's about it.

Seeing all those tourney lists that are like 2x 5 man troops then all knights and planes is making me feel like Im not prepared for the meta at all. Also I didn't see a single csm list which is a little worrying!

Warhammer 40k Tournaments are their own thing, I would not concern myself at all with what happens at the larger tournaments . It's kind of this great creative fiction that everyone seems to be in on that there's like this ultra competitive 40k scene. Just play what you want and adjust to what your fellow local players play that's the only "Meta" you should concern yourself with. Knowing what's going on at the big tournaments is important if you ever go to them. Otherwise just play the game with miniatures you enjoy aesthetically, and back grounds you enjoy with people you enjoy playing against.

Just like don't let it worry you that you didn't see a huge amount of Chaos Space Marines at the tournament and that means their bad or a poo poo army to play.

Tournaments especially the larger ones are really their own thing and it's not like Magic the Gathering at all.

Just play what you like with who you like but if you go to a big tournament or play in a tournament realize those are the kind of lists you'll see.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 27, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

There were rules for looted wagons printed on an issue of white dwarf last year.

And so what do I do if I want use a looted wagon?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Were I to do it again, (don't!) I would set it up like a tutorial mission in a video game. Not far removed from the 3rd edition starter box where Space Marines get to slaughter puny space faggots, set up each move ahead of time.

"This squad has a big gun thing, if you don't move them they can shoot but they have no targets in sight, move them this turn so they can shoot something next turn. This squad over here is in open ground, try moving them into this bunch of trees so they aren't automatically vaporized by the gay space alien laser beam." I would break it down into, "This squad wants to get close to punch things, this squad wants to shoot things, plan accordingly."

Since 5th edition (I may be wrong?) the rulebook and/or starter set has done a good job of setting up simple test games. It really makes it simple and straight forward, as much as possible.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Since 5th edition (I may be wrong?) the rulebook and/or starter set has done a good job of setting up simple test games. It really makes it simple and straight forward, as much as possible.

Yeah, the Dark Vengeance book was really helpful for me, and even something like the campaign box sets provides simple enough missions. One of the bigger barriers is the actual collecting of models and list building when you have no idea what you're doing, and the boxed sets do a lot to mitigate that.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

field balm posted:

If anything the changes have made it easier to do what you want. If like me you're part of the fluffbunny crowd, you're actively encouraged to play it like an RPG and field asymmetric forces against each other in longrunning campaigns with no defined overarching rules. If you're more like the bad guys in Karate Kid you can take an army of Wave Serpents and Broadsides or whatever and have fun. The trick is to find like-minded people, not to meet in the middle where nobody is happy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Indolent Bastard posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/237541856/Ork-Looted-Wagon-Datasheet#scribd

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have never had a panic attack in my life, but it happened when I tried to introduce my friend to 40k. We drink whiskey, listen to blues, chase women, and get harassed by the fuzz together, I set up a tiny practice game for us while still in the nerd mindset that 40k is "simple." Reality and sobriety hit my brain as I tried to explain all the caveats in the rules without an extended monologue and I lost it. I was a stuttering, sweaty mess trying to explain how this mess of a game that costs as much as a new car is "fun." Advocating 40k is like being a defense lawyer that knows his murder defendant is so guilty he has his ex-wife's head in a jar.

Your as broken as hollismason

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Indolent Bastard posted:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/whitedwarf/white-dwarf-issue-21.html

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Note that the unit list for the Looted Wagon datasheet is "One Gorkanaught".

For 37 points, that's not bad.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

Your as broken as hollismason

Or as much as your spelling :v:

raverrn posted:

gently caress, I forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Boon posted:

Well, Eldar do have some gaps that want filling- Tau, IG, and other armies can be an excellent complement to them. Wave Serpents are great and all, but when your army functionally consists of one or two units, you'll inevitably run into situations and armies that act as a hard counter to you and roll you over on your back. I only run "pure" Eldar in games of 1500pts or less, where including a significant ally force becomes prohibitive (and even then stuff like Inquisitors, etc, are strong considerations.)

I don't think the Tantalus is "worth it" overall, but if you wanna bring a weird and unique piece that no one has ever seen before, by all means bring it. I don't think I've even heard of anyone running one in a game before, much less seen it in person.

raverrn posted:

If the Gorkanaut were 37pts, there is a chance someone might actually use it.

• Locked thread